Start by marking “Earthbound” as Want to Read:
Earthbound

Earthbound

3.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
An Erotic Ghost Story by the Author of Hell House and A Stir of Echoes

David and Ellen Cooper came to the lonely beachside cottage in hopes of rekindling their troubled marriage. Yet they are not alone on their second honeymoon. Marianna, a beautiful and enigmatic stranger, comes to visit David whenever Ellen is away.

Who is Marianna, and where has she come from?

Even as he s
Published April 16th 2005 by Tor Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Earthbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthbound

Ms. Nikki
Mar 30, 2016 Ms. Nikki rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, audiobook
What a joylessly depressing read. Wow! I mean, my day was going good until I listened to this story. From the moment the married couple arrived at their destination, the cold unyielding drabness of their surroundings literally sucked the happiness out of me. It was crazy.

This read is void of real emotional attachment. I did not believe the husband and wife wanted to work on their relationship. I just...didn't believe in this story.

It passed at creating emotion. It was just the wrong one.

Skip th
Rucker Manley
Jun 18, 2013 Rucker Manley rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, 2013
Stephen King often cites Richard Matheson as an influence. There's a lot of Matheson here--it doesn't feel like Matheson, entirely--but there's also a lot of pre-writer King. King, of course, had no influence on this novel, a writer of his own right by this time. But it's written in 1982.

It was, in a word, disappointing. I expect a lot of Matheson, and a certain gut-punch at the end. Was he tired? Did he want to try something entirely different? I'm not sure. There are moments of pure intensity,
Tabitha (Pabkins)
Nov 21, 2011 Tabitha (Pabkins) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who like sad erotic ghost stories
Shelves: erotica, own, ghosts
Depressing and Aggravating – that is what this book was! I bought it a long time ago – shortly after I had read I Am Legend – which I LOVED! I also, really loved What Dreams May Come. So I went with the idea that I usually do – that if I loved two of an authors books that I’ll likely enjoy everything they right. How severely wrong I was. I hope this convinces you to NOT to read it. I feed bad – I guess this is a flamer review.

Right away the tone of the book is somber – you don’t know why these t
Matt
Jun 09, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
A Chilling Ghost story. Dark and fascinating. Grabs you immediately. I could not put it down. It's hightly erotic,sometimes disturbingly so. Beneath the the ghost story is an intelligent probing of the relationshiop between mind and body, and a sharp and provoking contrast between lust and craving on the one hand, with it'd deadly and empty results; and Love and intimacy on the other, with it's power to renew, redeem, and and ultimately save us all . . from ourselves.
Stephen Arvidson
Earthbound follows Ellen and David Cooper to an isolated seaside cottage not far from the one where they spent their honeymoon twenty years earlier. Only now, their marriage is in a state of disrepair due to David's recent infidelities. Shortly after their arrival, David discovers that the derelict beach house is haunted by the beautiful spirit of Marianna, a nympho-ghost whose lust-filled depravity has doomed her not just to earth but to the very confines of the cottage. Unholy desires fill Dav ...more
Henrik Schunk
Jan 30, 2013 Henrik Schunk rated it it was ok
An unusual mixture of eroticism, ghost story and relationship drama. As one would expect, Matheson shines in the scary department, with some quite unsettling scenarios unfolding throughout the story but alas, he lacks the poetic insight and endurance to keep the relationship-angle interesting and deeper than superficial. Everyone who has experienced excruciating relationship debates will be reminded of the same while reading this book. Many dialogues between the two people in question amount to ...more
Sharon
Jun 17, 2015 Sharon rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Beautiful cover.................. that's it.

Oh actually there is one more thing - next time I'm feeling frisky I must remember to "cup my breasts" (or "thrusting cones" as they are also described) and say "for you, with love".........NOT!

Giulia
Oct 26, 2015 Giulia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghost inizia ex abrupto, zenza tanti preamboli, un gelido giovedì mattina a Logan Beach, località di villeggiatura a poca distanza da NY. Ciò che scopriamo pian pianino lungo il corso della narrazione è che Ellen e David sono stati tanto intrepidi da recarvisi non in estate ma in inverno per raccomodare una crepa nella loro vita matrimoniale, creatasi a causa di un tradimento ancora doloroso. Perchè scegliere proprio Logan Beach? Perchè venti anni prima è stato proprio quello il luogo della loro ...more
Jul 29, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: richard-matheson
"An erotic ghost story"

Not my favourite of his books (but then neither are the others that feature heavily in sex, although Hell House sticks with me for the entire plot and the general horror). The love story of husband and wife is entrancing though, and the lessons they learn about each other worth while. The ending also has a kind of grace and justice about it, which was equal parts dark and warm.

The writing is fairly typical Richard Matheson, featuring some unique and beautiful descriptions
Donald Kirch
Oct 08, 2014 Donald Kirch rated it it was amazing
Richard Matheson does it again! This man can write!!! :o)
Bill
Jan 30, 2015 Bill rated it it was ok
I read Earthbound alone in a strange house on a dark and stormy night, so I enjoyed the book more than its merits justified. I get the impression that Richard Matheson was under contract to produce a novel and reworked an unsold teleplay into Earthbound.

The two main characters, David and Ellen, are not very well fleshed out and come across as vague and two-dimensional. The story is told in third person almost exclusively from David's point of view. Until the very end, we do not see inside the th
Kathy Jackson
Oct 03, 2011 Kathy Jackson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ghost story lovers
This book is really closer to a novella size than a real book - it has only 134 pages. The story is as follows:

Who is Marianna, and where has she come from?

Even as he succumbs to her seductive charms, David realizes that Marianna is far more than a t
Rebecca Hill
Nov 25, 2011 Rebecca Hill rated it liked it
A ghost story with a twist that only Matheson could deliver. Similar to his other books, the story is slow to get going, but has great character development. The couple visiting their honeymoon location in an effort to rekindle their stressed marriage was not the most interesting start to a book. The husband's affair and the wife's lack of emotion are nothing spectacular either. However, when the reasons for the affair and lack of emotion start to bubble up, it becomes quite interesting, not to ...more
Catherine Cavendish
Apr 17, 2016 Catherine Cavendish rated it it was amazing
Richard Matheson has long been one of my favourite writers but this is one book of his that seems to have escaped me - until now. I loved it. It is dark and original. A haunted house story with a difference - a couple whose twenty one year marriage has been rocked to its very foundations, and a mysterious, beautiful woman called Marianna who captivates the vulnerable husband to the point where his hold on reality starts to slip away. A fascinating, often erotic tale which I found riveting.
Vicki G
Oct 24, 2014 Vicki G rated it liked it
Forget mundane to describe the dialog. It's outright not believable. I'd ask anyone to tell me who they know who says those things 20 times in a row the way they did in the book. I've never heard of anyone offering their breasts to their husband by saying "to you, with love" not even in the romance novels I used to read that my ex-husband used to scoff at so much. He certainly never said anything even reMOTEly along the order of sappy or unbelievable comments - and he used to lose all interest t ...more
Eric Scott
Dec 19, 2015 Eric Scott rated it liked it
Matheson was a terrific writer but this story was a bit forced. Now, I wish I could write something as good as his mediocre. The MC is relatable to me as a middle aged man and the back and forth of the couple is very good. The story just lacked interest for me as I was hoping for a better ghost story. It is still worth a read since it is a shorter novel and his writing is technically proficient and worth appreciation.
Gabriele
Un libro strano, una storia horror che ammicca all'erotismo e che termina per essere un connubio fra i due generi riuscito a metà. Forse risente molto degli anni trascorsi dalla pubblicazione. La cosa più fastidiosa sono i personaggi principali, il protagonista, poi prende continue decisioni una più idiota dell'altra, dettate tutte dal suo chiodo fisso. La parte horror e il fantasma con la sua storia, sono gli unici elementi che salvano la lettura.
Beth
Sep 06, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
For some stupid reason, I thought this was going to be a sort of sci-fi/horror combination, but it's actually a ghost story.

Not a particularly frightening one, although there were definitely some creepy moments. Considering the sexual obsession of the ghost, I think it would probably be classified as more of a succubus, but that's neither here nor there.

The main character, David, was not a particularly likable fellow, rather weak and self-centered.

This book was okay, but not some of Matheson's
Graham
Feb 25, 2014 Graham rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is an erotic ghost-story.A man who is struggling with his marriage is challenged by a very seductive ghost that drains his energy.It is a very enjoyable tale whether you believe in ghosts or not.Having read 'What Dreams May Come',& other of his works, there are definitely echoes running through his work on the theme of redemption.This novel kept my interest to the end.The characters are well-drawn & believable.If your after walls dripping with blood this is not the novel for you, bu ...more
Jamie D.
Nov 28, 2014 Jamie D. rated it really liked it
Have to say I read this one because Mr. King recommended it. Overall, I enjoyed the dark, ghostly tale. Felt creepily uncomfortable during the more exotic scenes, but that lent itself to the feel of the book. This wasn't really what I expected from the book, but it was an interesting read. I will explore other titles from the author.
Steven Jenkins
May 12, 2014 Steven Jenkins rated it it was amazing
A fantastic novel! Yet another example of the late-great Matheson's brilliance, to be able to take such a simple premise, and turn it into something fast-paced, tense, and chilling.

An easy and highly enjoyable read!
Tom
Aug 14, 2015 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015
I picked this up because it authors I like seemed to rave about Richard Matheson as an author. Was a bit let down to be honest. I only finished the book because my kindle said I had 22 minutes left in the book.
Oliver
Oct 21, 2007 Oliver rated it liked it
Not a bad book, but certainly not up to the standards of I Am Legend. At times, the prose is a little messy and in particular, Matheson's use of adverbs is definitely dubious, especially considering the fact that at times, he makes them up. Also, toward the book, the sentence 'He reach for her.' rears its ugly head and makes you wonder what the heck Matheson's editors were doing, if they were doing anything at all. Still, it's a decent story and fairly early on, after the lead character has been ...more
Jesse
David and Ellen go for a second honeymoon in the hopes of rekindling their failing marriage. Their honeymoon has one unexpected complication, one that could end more than their marriage.

I am a big fan of Richard Matheson but I did not love this book as much as his others. I found the pace clunky and slow at moments and the very rapid at others. I also got the feeling that Matheson, who did the majority of his work in the 50's and 60's, was still in the same mindset when he wrote this (late 80's)
Steve Carroll
Dec 07, 2014 Steve Carroll rated it did not like it
couldn't finish it. love Matheson, but this is almost unreadable.
Fabio Tassi
Angosciante. Claustrofobico.
Drpsychorat
Aug 11, 2014 Drpsychorat rated it really liked it
Wow! A good ghost story!
Rhiannon Frater
May 18, 2009 Rhiannon Frater rated it it was ok
I feel I wasted time reading this novel. I was so disappointed when I finished, I wanted to toss the book across the room. I love "I Am Legend" and "Hell House" and I find it hard to believe that the same author wrote this book. They characters were unsympathetic, the plot thin and the ending felt like a "shocking" ending from a bad 1970's TV movie of the week.

David Berardelli
Oct 07, 2013 David Berardelli rated it really liked it
This story is sexy, strange, intelligent, and suspenseful. Written thirty years ago, it clearly shows the eerie talents of Richard Matheson, writing as Logan Swanson, whose strengths lie in the complexities and unforeseen flaws of relationships and the human mind. Not exactly his best, yet hauntingly erotic and exciting, it is definitely worth your time.
Cindy
Sep 22, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I'd never heard of this guy before. I read online he died this past summer (2013). Great loss! I also didn't know Stephen King calls him the author that most inspired him as a writer. I should have known I'd love this book. He wrote episodes of Star Trek and Twilight Zone, among some other old shows I like. Only thing wrong with it, it's too short!
  • Macabre Menagerie (Horror Short Story Collection)
  • Cemetery Of Angels
  • The New Neighbor
  • Demogorgon
  • Fading Light: An Anthology of the Monstrous
  • Portrait of the Psychopath as a Young Woman
  • Charms, Spells, and Formulas: For the Making and Use of Gris Gris Bags, Herb Candles, Doll Magic, Incenses, Oils, and Powders
  • Full Contact Magick: A Book of Shadows for the Wiccan Warrior
  • Ordinary Horror
  • A Manhattan Ghost Story
  • The Sinister Mr. Corpse
  • The Tangled Bridge
Born in Allendale, New Jersey to Norwegian immigrant parents, Matheson was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School in 1943. He then entered the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier. In 1949 he earned his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and moved to California in 1951. He married in 1952 and has four children, three of w ...more
More about Richard Matheson...

“That wind of terrible and jealous beauty blowing over me—that dark fire, that music …” 1 likes