Start by marking “World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others” as Want to Read:
World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others

World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Ironically, the horrors of World War One produced a splendid flowering of British verse as young poets, many of them combatants, confronted their own morality, the death of dear friends, the loss of innocence, the failure of civilization, and the madness of war itself.
This volume contains a rich selection of poems from that time by Rupert Brooke, Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sa
Published April 22nd 1997 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about World War One British Poets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War One British Poets

Holly
Been fascinated with world war one poets since..."Johnny Got His Gun" re-colored my whole world in middle school. Whenever I see a collection I snag it...this one did not disappoint simply for the inclusion of this poem I have never read before or perhaps never struck me before like now:

Rupert Brook (amazing poet)
IV. The Dead

These hearts were woven of human joys and cares,
Washed marvellously with sorrow, swift to mirth.
The years had given them kindness. Dawn was theirs,
And sunset, and the colour
Gail
This little Dover edition provides a cross-section of WW I poetry from the excellent to the not so good. Usually I prefer an edition with notes, but this included a brief biography of each poet, and some very cursory critical remarks.

I met a new-to-me poet, Ivor Gurney, kind of a voice of the people, and refreshed my memory on most of the others in this volume. The sentiments, however expressed, remain contemporary even (almost) a hundred years later.

I especially liked Sassoon's "Blighters", "O
Alex Goukassian
I first read Wilfred Owen's poetry many years ago in a literature class at the local community college. Ever since then, "Dulce et Decorum Est" remained one of my favorite poems. Not only for its imagery and metaphors, but for the way that the author captured the horror and pity of war. Since then, I have read Owen's poems numerous times and found them to be a rewarding experience. However, I also found myself wondering what his contemporaries were writing during this period as well.

This antholo
Paula
Nice, varied collection of British WWI poets. Many I've read, but it was nice to add to those poems some I've never read before. Also, the collection of writers was very interesting, as some poets I've not thought of specifically as "war" poets (such as Thomas Hardy).

One things I really appreciated in this collection is something not often included in Dover Publications: an introduction for each poet before the actual poems are listed. The other good thing about this introduction is that it show
Steve Woods
A person can read the horendous accounts of the soldier's experience of this conflict. There has been little to compare throughout the brutal history of humanity, but nothing plumbs the depths of the human response like these poems. They are stunning; literally. The more poignant becasue in most cases their authors died in the very quagmire they described with such precision and passion.
Pauline
If you want a World War One poetry book look no further. This is a perfect edition. Full of moving and profound poems.
I still prefer the poems of Owen to any other poet but this introduced me to some other wonderful verses.
Kevin Summers
In this book, Siegfried Sassoon's poems were some of my favorites.
Ruth
Everyone should read this anthology. Sassoon is unsurpassed and Brooke is brilliant. Even more poignant remembering members of my own family who died in this war. Anthem for Doomed Youth "What passing-bells for those who die as cattle? /Only the monstrous anger of the guns." also struck a chord when I first read this as the bush war was going on at that time. Pertinent to any time of conflict and (cliche alert) the futility of war.
Liv
I felt that some of the poems were really well written, while others could barely hold my attention.
Robin
Some of the most painful and beautiful poems that I have read.
Nick Black
Three stars for the rest of the collection and a fourth star for Owen's overwhelming efforts. This collection represents, in my opinion, the finest English poetic output between Tennyson and Eliot (and Eliot was only kinda English, more Anglo than anything).
Ann Marie
Obviously not very comprehensive, but an excellent read nonetheless. I can't believe that Charles Hamilton Sorely is not more well-known. His "To Germany" and "When You See Millions of the Mouthless Dead" are excellent.
Featherbooks
A perfect book for Veterans Day reading to remind us of how horrific WWI was for those who fought and any war is for any soldier, a valuable anthology.
Zbhall
I am not really a poetry fan in general. However, these are quite good and very powerful. dulce et decorum est, flanders fields, and many more classics!
Leigh
Good general overview of most of the major WWI-era poets (and a few minor ones). In no way comprehensive--but then it doesn't advertise itself to be.
Louie
Very good collection of poems, featuring the very best of humanity surrounded by the worst environment.
Anthea Peries
Harrowing details of WWI. Contrasts between civilian life and the Western Front.
Barbra Quade
A collection of poems that is a monument to the Great War. A must read.
Janalee
Love love love Owen!!
Tina Phomthisene
Tina Phomthisene marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
James Stark
James Stark marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
  • The Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen
  • Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure
  • The War Poems
  • The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • The Psalms
  • The Darkness Around Us is Deep: Selected Poems
  • Here, Bullet
  • The Student's Catullus
  • Lyric Poems
  • Satires, Epistles and Ars Poetica (Loeb Classical Library No. 194)
  • Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza
  • English Romantic Poetry
  • Helen in Egypt
Great Short Stories by American Women Great Short Stories by English and Irish Women Children's Christmas Stories and Poems New York City Museum Guide Desire and Disorder: Fevers, Fictions, and Feeling in English Georgian Culture

“Happy are these who lose imagination: They have enough to carry with ammunition. Their spirit drags no pack, Their old wounds save with cold cannot more ache. Having seen all things red, Their eyes are rid Of the hurt of the colour of blood for ever. And terror’s first constriction over, Their senses in some scorching cautery of battle Now long since ironed, Can laugh among the dying, unconcerned.” 0 likes
“Poppies whose roots are in man’s veins Drop, and are ever dropping; But mine in my ear is safe — Just a little white with the dust.” 0 likes