Start by marking “World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others” as Want to Read:
World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others

World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others

Ironically, the horrors of World War One produced a splendid flowering of British verse as young poets, many of them combatants, confronted their own morality, the death of dear friends, the loss of innocence, the failure of civilization, and the madness of war itself.
This volume contains a rich selection of poems from that time by Rupert Brooke, Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sa
Published April 22nd 1997 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about World War One British Poets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War One British Poets

Jimmy
Aug 07, 2016 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
WWI became a war of attrition. Soldiers recognized this and opposed the war. By September 1914, the Allied and Central Powers were locked into trench warfare, and 1915-1916 were marked by years of stalemate characterized by Pyrrhic victories, including that won by the Allies in Champagne where 500 yards of ground was gained in two months at a cost of 50,000 men.

A saying among the British troops according to Candace Ward was "Went to war with Rupert Brooke, came home with Siegfried Sassoon." I ha
Holly
Sep 24, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Been fascinated with world war one poets since..."Johnny Got His Gun" re-colored my whole world in middle school. Whenever I see a collection I snag it...this one did not disappoint simply for the inclusion of this poem I have never read before or perhaps never struck me before like now:

Rupert Brook (amazing poet)
IV. The Dead

These hearts were woven of human joys and cares,
Washed marvellously with sorrow, swift to mirth.
The years had given them kindness. Dawn was theirs,
And sunset, and the colour
Gail
Jan 11, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing
This little Dover edition provides a cross-section of WW I poetry from the excellent to the not so good. Usually I prefer an edition with notes, but this included a brief biography of each poet, and some very cursory critical remarks.

I met a new-to-me poet, Ivor Gurney, kind of a voice of the people, and refreshed my memory on most of the others in this volume. The sentiments, however expressed, remain contemporary even (almost) a hundred years later.

I especially liked Sassoon's "Blighters", "O
Frederick Gault
Aug 06, 2016 Frederick Gault rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, military
An excellent collection of some of the best of WW I poetry which decries the misery of slow death in the muddy trenches and survivor's guilt in ways prose cannot. Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et Decorum Est", which he wrote before he was murdered on the field of battle, should be recited every morning by politicians who are empowered to send our children to war. The senseless waste of "The War to End all Wars" is unrolled here; but incredibly some of these poems were twisted into the obscenity of recru ...more
Linda
Sep 25, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it
The poems of Wilfred Owen are so emotionally overwhelming that they make up for some of the Hallmark Greeting Card poems lesser poets wrote about the war. There is a small introduction to each poet, all of which are interesting. The introduction to Mr. Owen says that, had he lived, he would have been considered as great as T.S. Elliot. Sadly, Mr. Owen was killed five days before the war ended, age 25. His war poems are so powerful that every politician who wants another war should be required to ...more
Paula
Sep 14, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it
Nice, varied collection of British WWI poets. Many I've read, but it was nice to add to those poems some I've never read before. Also, the collection of writers was very interesting, as some poets I've not thought of specifically as "war" poets (such as Thomas Hardy).

One things I really appreciated in this collection is something not often included in Dover Publications: an introduction for each poet before the actual poems are listed. The other good thing about this introduction is that it show
Steve Woods
Jul 02, 2014 Steve Woods rated it it was amazing
A person can read the horendous accounts of the soldier's experience of this conflict. There has been little to compare throughout the brutal history of humanity, but nothing plumbs the depths of the human response like these poems. They are stunning; literally. The more poignant becasue in most cases their authors died in the very quagmire they described with such precision and passion.
Fishface
Feb 01, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
All the basics you remember from high school -- Sassoon, Owen, those guys -- plus quite a few others that are not as commonly known. In some cases the newer-to-me pieces are even better than the familiar ones, which is really saying something.
Pauline
Jul 06, 2014 Pauline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
If you want a World War One poetry book look no further. This is a perfect edition. Full of moving and profound poems.
I still prefer the poems of Owen to any other poet but this introduced me to some other wonderful verses.
Kathleen
Aug 14, 2016 Kathleen rated it liked it
World War One British Poets is exactly what it says on the tin: a collection of poems written by British poets during World War One. I've sort of on and off been studying World War One in my own time, and this was part of that, examining the literary output of that generation in light of what they'd experienced. It's a fairly good collection, surprisingly so in that it actually includes female poets among its authors, but, you know, it's a collection of poetry written by British poets during Wor ...more
Paul Womack
Aug 03, 2016 Paul Womack rated it really liked it
A very fine introduction to this genre. Other books await that offer more writings from those mentioned and additional poets.
Kevin Summers
Aug 02, 2014 Kevin Summers rated it really liked it
In this book, Siegfried Sassoon's poems were some of my favorites.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Everyone should read this anthology. Sassoon is unsurpassed and Brooke is brilliant. Even more poignant remembering members of my own family who died in this war. Anthem for Doomed Youth "What passing-bells for those who die as cattle? /Only the monstrous anger of the guns." also struck a chord when I first read this as the bush war was going on at that time. Pertinent to any time of conflict and (cliche alert) the futility of war.
David
May 22, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: world-war-i
3.25 but with some definite 5 star poems within the collection.
Olivia
May 03, 2014 Olivia rated it liked it
I felt that some of the poems were really well written, while others could barely hold my attention.
Robin
Jan 08, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
Some of the most painful and beautiful poems that I have read.
Nick Black
Jun 28, 2008 Nick Black rated it really liked it
Three stars for the rest of the collection and a fourth star for Owen's overwhelming efforts. This collection represents, in my opinion, the finest English poetic output between Tennyson and Eliot (and Eliot was only kinda English, more Anglo than anything).
Ann Marie
Apr 24, 2012 Ann Marie rated it really liked it
Obviously not very comprehensive, but an excellent read nonetheless. I can't believe that Charles Hamilton Sorely is not more well-known. His "To Germany" and "When You See Millions of the Mouthless Dead" are excellent.
Featherbooks
Nov 10, 2011 Featherbooks rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A perfect book for Veterans Day reading to remind us of how horrific WWI was for those who fought and any war is for any soldier, a valuable anthology.
Zack
Feb 26, 2012 Zack rated it really liked it
I am not really a poetry fan in general. However, these are quite good and very powerful. dulce et decorum est, flanders fields, and many more classics!
Leigh
Good general overview of most of the major WWI-era poets (and a few minor ones). In no way comprehensive--but then it doesn't advertise itself to be.
Louie
Nov 08, 2011 Louie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Very good collection of poems, featuring the very best of humanity surrounded by the worst environment.
Anthea Peries
Dec 15, 2014 Anthea Peries rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Harrowing details of WWI. Contrasts between civilian life and the Western Front.
Barbra Quade
A collection of poems that is a monument to the Great War. A must read.
Marlene  Schuler
Dec 22, 2015 Marlene Schuler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-for-2015
Gruesome, horrific, and yet... Illuminating.
Janalee
Mar 24, 2012 Janalee rated it it was amazing
Love love love Owen!!
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Zach Ward
Zach Ward rated it liked it
Bas V
Bas V added it
Fleurs Du Mal
Fleurs Du Mal marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
  • The War Poems
  • Songs for the Open Road: Poems of Travel and Adventure
  • The Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen
  • The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • The Oxford Book of War Poetry
  • Sonnets from the Portuguese and Other Poems
  • The Student's Catullus
  • Winter Garden
  • Three Soldiers
  • Hamlet: An Authoritative Text, Intellectual Backgrounds, Extracts from the Sources, Essays in Criticism (Norton Critical Edition)
  • Here, Bullet
  • The Darkness Around Us is Deep: Selected Poems
  • The Woman Who Fell from the Sky: Poems
  • Map: Collected and Last Poems

“Happy are these who lose imagination: They have enough to carry with ammunition. Their spirit drags no pack, Their old wounds save with cold cannot more ache. Having seen all things red, Their eyes are rid Of the hurt of the colour of blood for ever. And terror’s first constriction over, Their senses in some scorching cautery of battle Now long since ironed, Can laugh among the dying, unconcerned.” 0 likes
“Poppies whose roots are in man’s veins Drop, and are ever dropping; But mine in my ear is safe — Just a little white with the dust.” 0 likes