Start by marking “Set in Stone” as Want to Read:
Set in Stone

Set in Stone

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  459 ratings  ·  72 reviews
When Samuel Godwin, a young and naive art tutor, accepts a job with the Farrow family at Fourwinds, their majestic home, little does he expect to come across such a web of secrets and lies. His two tutees are as different as chalk and cheese - the beautiful younger sister Marianne, full of flightiness and nervous imagination, and Juliana, controlled and sad. With their gov ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Definitions (Young Adult) (first published May 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Set in Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Set in Stone

This was a frustrating book. What started out as a fine pastiche to Victorian sensation fiction (i.e., threads of insanity, improper sexual conduct, & gothic innocence-in-peril) slid downhill under the weight of an extremely long-winded -- and unnecessary -- final act.

The book opens with a brief prologue, wherein the hero (Samuel) is attending a gallery of his artwork. The year is just after WWI; he's been disillusioned by the contrast of death & frivolous artistic culture, & when on
Marian
I thought this was a fantasy, but just a pretty predictable book with no fantasy elements.
LH Johnson
Set in Stone is a big book. Astutely written with a fine eye for period detail (it's set on the edge of the twentieth century), it's a complex and exhausting page turner full of emotion, turmoil and psychological revelations.

Written very much in a style reminiscent of Wilkie Collins, it is the tale of Samuel Godwin, an artist on his way to accept a new position. He is to be the tutor to Juliana and Marianne, daughters of a wealthy man, Ernest Farrow, and live with the family in their fine home F
Lily A. Mell
Set in Stone is an amazing book.
Written in a beautiful and enchanting prose, it weaves together events, plot-twists, and ideas to ultimately come to a conclusion that nobody would've expected.
The narrators are Samuel Godwin, a young artist who is working as an art tutor at a country mansion named Fourwinds, and Charlotte Agnew, the governess of the two girls who live there. The girls are sisters, Juliana and Marianne, and through them, a fascinating and dark mystery is woven.
I can often predi
Dawn
Make yourself a mug of hot chocolate. Build a roaring fire and pull up a comfy chair. Grab your cat, settle her in your lap, and read this book (by candlelight, if possible). Anne Radcliffe meets Charlotte Brontë. This was a really fun read. It borrows a bit too heavily, at times, from "Jane Eyre," but that can be forgiven. This would be a great book to suggest for teens who are interested in Gothic historical fiction, but who aren't ready or willing to tackle the Brontës.
Lynne
A definite homage to Wilkie Collins and other sensationalist writers of the late Victorian era (Think 'Woman in White' meets 'Uncle Silas'), this is apparently aimed at the YA market, though the themes, perhaps might be better suited to an adult one. Engaging and well-written, it charts the history of Samuel Godwin, Slade student employed as an art tutor to the (naturally) beautiful and evidently disturbed (Henry James creeps in here) Farrow sisters, Marianne and Juliana who live at Fourwinds, a ...more
Sally Flint
This book deserved all of its four stars. It says on the blurb that it has a certain Bronte feel to it. I know what the reviewer meant, but it was way more accessible to teens than the real Brontes. The plot worked seamlessly, moving forward to an interesting twist at the end. Unfortunately for me, I always read the end, after about chapter one, so I had figured it out, but that's my own fault! I really wanted to know more about the characters and loved the contrast between the young enthusiasti ...more
Caitlin
I really enjoyed this read! The story and characters were great. I loved the different points of view for the story telling, and even using hand written letters to help the story unfold. There are many sub plots an different twists that unfold. Even though I had figured out the main plot by he middle of the book, the other sub plots and mysteries kept me deeply intrigued.
As a side note, the subject matter as well as the style of writing is not really suitable for a "youth" book. This is an adult
Melanie
Triduana
This book was an interesting idea, but for me it didn't work.

One of the reasons was how the narrative changed between characters, with only small (easily missed) print at the top of the page pointing this out. There were a few instances in the story where one character found things out before the other, and explanations of events were repeated. It would have read so much better in third-person. The characters were also lacking in personality and I found it difficult to empathise with them.

I also
Maya
Set in Stone is a gothic page-turner, full of dark secrets. It's well written, with a complex and twisting plot. I like historical fiction, and the author had certainly done a good job researching the late 1800s.

The chapters switch between Samuel and Charlotte, which confused me a little at first until I realised that each page was headed by either Samuel or Charlotte's name. It was interesting when one character knew something that the other didn't, I felt it added to the mystery of the story.
Jori Richardson
Written in an old-fashioned, almost archaic style, this book has everything that I love in fiction: memorable, intricate characters, a striking and fascinating setting, and a compelling plot. The story has a lot of depth that most young adult fiction written today lacks, and Newberry is certainly a talented author.
This book is about a young painter who gets caught up in a dark family secret surrounding the manor he is staying at.
You will be surprised by how the mystery ends, because the author p
Claire
What an enchanting, beguiling read. From the start to the finish!

Artist Samuel Godwin has recently acquired a job as a tutor with the prestigious Ernest Farrow at a house named Fourwinds, due to the stone sculptures on the walls. Farrow's daughters are polar opposites, one, Juliana, is inwardly drawn, sad and mysterious, while the other, Marianne, flings into odd mood swings and runs off frequently.

After the death of the girls' mother, Ernest Farrow hired a governess named Charlotte Agnew, a s
Sorcha
Nov 04, 2011 Sorcha rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, dnc
This book started well, to the point I didnt realise that it was a Young Adult book. It is a story much in the vein of Jane Eyre, Northhanger Abbey and Wilkie Collins - young peniless artist joins a family as a teacher, only to find mysteries abound and it is the governess and art teacher (neither family or housefold staff) that end up investigating. [return][return]However, I got bored halfway through (any sense fo the dramatic is too laboured) and I skipped ahead, only to find topics never to ...more
Hannah
Oh, Set In Stone you are one shocking read aren't you?
So don't be fooled by the boring start because once you read a good third of the book it traps you in a web of lies, deceit and material that will leave you cringing in amazement.
For some people (e.g. Me) you might start reading this book because a pushy friend insists it’s great (you know who you are) but in reality you find the book to be a complete bore and you’re already a hundred pages through. At this point you MUST persevere and read
Ailbe Van der heide
It cant be argued that this book is not incredibly well written. I really liked the calm pace that, on the contrary to being boring, gives an intense sense of suspense, and really brings to mind the idea of the calm before the storm.
My low rating is simply because it is not to my taste, I dislike the sadness that embodies the whole book.
Polly
I liked this quite a lot. It is slightly desceptive, in that the description and tag line on the jacket seem to hint at the supernatural (which it definitely is not), but it's a good solid Gothic novel with a properly unpleasant secret at its heart, probably best for older YA, adults and "New Adults".
Sissai Nadela
such a page turner book... you'll never know how the characters are intertwined in the story, unexpectedly the characters have deep secrets that you'll just thought it kinda has magic or fantasy involved, yet it is just plainly a story of people whose lives are smudged with past secrets.
Elaine Gubby - Cabaret
Absoultely loved this book, it is beautifully written. You are drawn into the story by the strange & intriguing characters & the details of art & architecture are amazing. In my opinion this book is certainly also for adults.
Here's my library's blurb on the book: The alternating narratives of art tutor Samuel Godwin and governess Charlotte Agnew, who work for the wealthy Farrow family in 1898 England, reveal the secrets that almost everyone in the household is hiding.
I enjoyed this book, and the style and themes reminded me a bit of the classic "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier. The same somber tone, the same misconceptions and keeping up appearances of members of the household. Several rather scandalous things happen
Lyn Elliott
It wasn't until I read reviews of this book (taken more or less at random from a library shelf) that I discovered that it is classified as for young adults and actually won the Prize as Children's Book of the Year in 2006. I am a bit stunned by this.
The story is capably structured, but the genre escaped me. It is referred to in some reviews as fantasy but it is much more in the realm of gothic romance.

The very nasty goings on in the family, though, take this book way beyond gothic romance. Inces
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

Set in Stone is incredibly intense and deals with some very adult themes (which are dealt with tactfully and sympathetically) therefore it’s aimed more at the young adult market rather than younger teens. Very well-written and told from the viewpoint of two characters looking in at the family on the brink of madness that employs them. It’s incredibly heady stuff! Love and possession; art and immortality; convention and defiance; ambition and desire: There’s mystery and dr
Dominique Jacques
Un roman victorien écrit au XXI ème sciècle. Tout le. Harem des livres des sœurs Brontoë, des Austen...délicieusement réussi.
Nossamael
unr histoire dramatique très bien racontée et avec beaucoup de finesse.
Erica
UGH. This book is TERRIBLE. I could hardly bring myself to finish it. It's so boring! And the font hurt my eyes, which shouldn't matter but this this book is just so monstrously ridiculously awful that the font drove me over the edge. I should have just returned the damn book to the library but I have this thing where if I start a book I just have to finish it. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID! DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! It would be more fun to grate a cheese grater against your forehead.
Dorina
Interesting, mysterious, shocking, modern – these are all the things this book is trying to be and it’s not.
Plain, easy, boring – all that it is without even trying.
If you want to read a shocking book about incest try The Color Purple by Alice Walker, if you want a story that combines different points of view go to Llosa’s La Ciudad y Los Perros. If after reading you want to feel like you have wasted precious time in your life, then ok, read Set in Stone.
Kelly
I really enjoyed this book, but I found it in my library's MG section, which it is not. Neither is it YA. The themes and structure make this book very adult -- the main characters are both in their 20s, and the book has a framework with middle-aged perspectives. That is not to say this book is explicit -- the sexual content and gothic elements have Victorian obliqueness-- but I think grownups would enjoy the language and introspection more than teens.

Luby
First time a book set in the olden times has intrigued me enough to keep reading. It was never boring, never predictable. Made a few shocking turns that made me want to gasp out loud. Loved it tho! The feelings and surroundings were expressed very artistically. Has a little bit of everything, from passion and art to suspense and thrill. I would recommend it to readers who, like me, wanted something new and away from the usual genre to read.
Rose
A passionate tale full of lies, deception, desire, and unrequited love. This year's Costa Book Award winner introduces young adults to a period in history when a scandal in the family could result in its ruin... and great measures would be taken to cover up anything unpleasant. I've invited Linda Newbery to speak at my workplace in May this year... I'm really looking forward to meeting her... and to reading some more of her books.
Jan
This is an old fashioned gothic novel with a rather horrifying plot development that involves an incestuous relationship between a father and daughter. It has the atmosphere of one of Victoria Holt's gothic novels. Set in Victorian England, the story is told in alternating points of view by the daughter's governess and by her tutor. There is a most satisfying and horrifying retribution in store for the incestuous father.
What's The Name o...: Modern gothic about an artist and wind staues [s] 4 43 Aug 10, 2012 02:59PM
  • A Most Dangerous Woman (Sarah Tanner, #1)
  • A Girl Called Blue
  • Simply Irresistible (The Elite, #3)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • The Madness
  • How to Draw Anything
  • Angelica
  • Princess Katie and the Silver Pony (The Tiara Club, #2)
  • Catmagic (Animalmagic, #1)
  • Jacqueline Wilson's Superstars
  • Remembrance
  • Emma Brown
  • From E to You
  • The Day of the Dreader (How to Train Your Dragon World Book Day 2012)
  • Out of Shadows
  • A Dark Dividing
  • Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire
  • The Magdalena Curse
Linda Iris Newbery (born 12 August 1952, in Romford, Essex) is a British writer known best for young-adult fiction—where she entered the market, although she has broadened her range to encompass all ages. She published her first novel Run with the Hare in 1988, while still working as an English teacher in a comprehensive school. She became a full-time writer in 2000.
Linda is a regular tutor for th
More about Linda Newbery...
Posy The Shell House Sisterland At the Firefly Gate Nevermore