Start by marking “Prelude to a Kiss” as Want to Read:
Prelude to a Kiss

Prelude to a Kiss

After a whirlwind courtship, Rita and Peter marry. Following their storybook wedding, an elderly man congratulates Rita with a kiss. But it is no ordinary kiss. By a quirky twist of fate, the kiss effects a soul switch. Rita finds herself living in the old man's body and the old man in hers. The honeymoon is anything but. To complicate matters, the old man is dying. Peter ...more
Published February 1st 1991 by Plume (first published August 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Prelude to a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prelude to a Kiss

Sheri
Oct 13, 2016 Sheri rated it liked it
Shelves: play
Meh. I read this because I am considering auditioning for it. I knew the premise and the play itself was rather un-original. Maybe I am not interested in it simply because I grew up in the 1980s (and there were like 4 movies that came out about switching souls and bodies between young and old people) and so the concept seems blase. The text itself reads well, although I think the many different settings are unnecessary. It is rather fast paced and I think would be interesting to watch, but overa ...more
Mloy
Jan 05, 2014 Mloy rated it really liked it
I loved the repartee in this book, it had such a rapid pace to it that I can picture the main characters Peter and Rita as kind of an homage to a Tracy-Hepburn like team up. The story was pretty straight-forward and simple, but still fairly interesting. I liked that the author chose not to bog the events with unnecessary explanations about how the events might have occurred but rather concentrated on the reactions of the characters. I also liked the lack of villains in this play; no one is to bl ...more
Karla
Mar 27, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it
I have to say I enjoy watching this more than I did reading it. It is one of those plays that "makes you think" about the legacy you leave and your own mortality. The fact that the writer was thinking of those suffering from AIDS when he wrote it makes it all the more poignant. Still, I prefer the film or the play to simply reading the material.
Cheri
Jul 10, 2007 Cheri rated it did not like it
Shelves: drama-american
Exactly the kind of play I hate. Totally unrealistic characters, sitcom style writing and "wacky" plot devices. Pass.
Eric Kibler
Nov 30, 2012 Eric Kibler rated it liked it
A charming little play with a Twilight Zone-esque premise. A strange, charming old man shows up at a wedding and asks to kiss the bride. When he does, the bride and the old man switch minds, unbeknownst to the groom, who must gradually figure out what has happened.

The play has a lot to say about living life fearlessly. Enjoying your youth while you've got it. And it's a nice little love story. It starts out with some nice, funny, early-love banter between the young couple and by the end of the p
Carmen
Sep 23, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-drama
A couple meet. They hook up. Two months later they get married. And then the trouble starts. On the honeymoon, the groom is wondering why his new wife can't remember things from last week. She changes. And then he realizes that the old man who crashed their wedding, is actually his wife. They had switched bodies!
Bigtreble
Jul 04, 2015 Bigtreble rated it really liked it
Exactly the kind of play I love! Great characters, quick, clever dialogue and a story that has a satisfying ending. If I directed adult theater rather than high school, I would direct this play in a minute!
SmarterLilac
Feb 13, 2009 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it
Sweet, charming, but still bitterly realistic look at modern relationship dilemmas. One of the few plays turned into films of the '90s that I think actually worked as such.
Liz Chapman
Mar 05, 2010 Liz Chapman rated it liked it
Weird, but good. It felt a little...contrived? But there were some interesting themes in it. It'd be interesting to do a LGBT reading; there's a lot there.
Angm81
Feb 18, 2012 Angm81 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the story I thought it was going to be based off the description, but the twists made it less predictable. I look forward to performing this play :)
Maureen
Jul 24, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing
I think I've read this play more than I've ever read anything. Easily 100 times. There was a time I read it once a week.
Matt Crowley
Matt Crowley rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Melora
Melora rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2012
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2007
Maura
Maura rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Brian Katz
Brian Katz rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Damon
Damon rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
elizabeth wieners
elizabeth wieners rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Rochelle Barozzi
Rochelle Barozzi rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Bj
Bj rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Laura Ferrari
Laura Ferrari rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2007
Cody Daigle
Cody Daigle rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2008
Tess Van Horn
Tess Van Horn rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Sherry (sethurner)
Sherry (sethurner) rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2009
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014