Start by marking “Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online” as Want to Read:
Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online

Totally Wired: What Teens and Tweens Are Really Doing Online

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"A must read for parents (and future parents) of teenagers. Consider Anastasia Goodstein as the daughter you totally 'get' - explaining all the behaviors of the daughter you totally don't 'get.' Consider this a parent/teen dictionary. Brilliant and lifesaving!"
- Atoosa Rubenstein, former editor in chief of Seventeen magazine

"Totally Wired is both an awakening and a comfor
Published March 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Totally Wired, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Totally Wired

What a difference two years makes... and doesn't make. In 2007, MySpace was bigger than Facebook by sheer virtue of the fact that FB was a "closed" community; today, some of my FB friends are my parents age (my mother's cousins seem to have embraced it). In that regard, Totally Wired feels a little dated.

However, once you get past the Name Brands (has anyone Xanga'd recently?), the message is alarmingly the same as the message in the parenting books my mother used to read: kids will be kids, eit
Chris
I just read this book and felt it was just a little dated, though some of it was still beneficial. If you're trying to get a hold of where the boundaries need to be set for that teen who constantly uses internet devices 24/7, this book may do it.

One place I wasn't crazy in this book about, was when they talked about most teens using MySpace that's "all the rage". MySpace is no longer popular. Facebook is super popular with many teens and the book said that it wasn't developed for most home use
Beth
Oct 14, 2008 Beth rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of teens with no technology experience
Recommended to Beth by: Anthony Bernier
Goodstein's effectiveness is negatively impacted by the vast amount of time she spends analyzing her own teenage years. The author indicates on page 2 that the intended audience is parents with teenagers, but resources referenced in the book, such as "Staying Connected to Your Teenager: How to Keep Them Talking to You and How to Hear What They're really saying" may be better suited to the task. The vocabulary choices were particularly uninspired ("teens definitely love" pg, 58). The author asser ...more
This book sounds a bit more titillating than it really is. It is helpful to get to know a bit more of the lingo and the jargon of the computer literate/media savvy young people today, and its helpful to find out more about what goes on online, but I was not shocked or really even surprised (maybe I'm more savvy than I thought!!) I also did not agree with one of the assumptions of the author that "teens will be teens" and get into bad stuff no matter what we as parents (or a s a culture) do. I th ...more
Suz
This book is a good introduction to the world of "digital natives." Easy to read, not too much eduspeak, and there's a glossary in the back for the terms that might be new to you. For those adults stuck in 1985 (to borrow a phrase), it explains different types of media and activities that young people use daily to stay connected and entertained. It was published a few years ago, so there have been some shifts in trends and some things may have dropped out of use or been replaced by more recent a ...more
Maryanne
Well-researched and informative. I highly recommend it for anyone who has/wants kids but is terrified of what will happen to them as teenagers - I think it paints teenagers in a fair light and really examines the realistic threats to teens and also the goods/bads of teens historically and today. This is an excellent resource for teachers and librarians too. I think the fact that it feels somewhat dated and was published in 2007 just goes to show how important it is for people interacting with tw ...more
Hilary
Sort of boring. I already knew most of this stuff, and I felt like the author had a lot of good information but didn't use it to draw any useful conclusions. I also wasn't sure who her intended audience is. As a media researcher I already know a lot of what she is saying. There are some throw-away paragraphs geared towards parents at the end of each chapter, but those seem to be tacked on rather than an integral part of the book.
Anna
Goodstein describes how teens use blogs, social-networking sites, cell phones, and instant messaging
to discover a positive identity and to participate in community as well as learn. I found the sections on Activism 2.0 and Creative Commons the most interesting.
Shelley Daugherty
Good for parents of teens and tweens as well as those who are not. This book points out that the internet is not the enemy just another place that kids hang out. Very real issues are covered in this book such as: bullying, awareness, legal issues, etc.
Carrie Wilson
Aaak! No index???? The citations were listed at the end of the books, but there was absolutely no index, which is frustrating. Until all the books in the world are digitized and subject and keyword searchable, print non-fiction should include indexes!
CD
Of limited value. There seems to be a lot of white space, big print and not so many facts. While there are some facts, mostly this is anectdotal and of limited value to education professionals. Perhaps parents might be served by it.....
Patricia
Copyright 2007, yet already quite dated. Definitely aimed at parents who are not tech-savvy. For those of us who ARE tech-savvy, and give teens more credit than most of Western society does, there is not much to be learned from this book.
Suzanne Dix
takes out some of the negativity portrayed by the media about the dangers online, interesting technique of talking about author's teen life in the 80s as compared to a totally wired teen of today ~ so much remains similar
Michael
Good solid job doing a very well-focused task: describing how teens use new technology to express what it is eternally to be a teen. Thus it has aged well and is still useful (though yes, a new edition would be welcome.)
Artslyz
Interesting. I've been reading her blog for a while so knew about many of the sites mentioned. The chapter about teachers using technology in a superficial way was interesting and something I'll come back to.
Andrea Scherer
Slightly outdated in the technologies mentioned, but very relevant about teens' attitudes toward technology. Interesting, but nothing overly surprising.
Connie Chan
super easy read. really interesting insights about what teenagers are doing online. made me realize that i'm not all that different from a 13 year-old. ;)
Gina
A useful book for parents, teachers, or anyone else who knows or works with teens.
Jessica
Well-balanced but already seems really dated.
Rebecca
Jul 28, 2008 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rebecca by: Ypulse blog
I will read nonfiction, I will, I will!
Honeylou Quilban
Honeylou Quilban is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015