Start by marking “Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)” as Want to Read:
Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)

Kill Chain (Evan Delaney #5)

When Evan Delaney's father disappears, the cops think he's fled the country to avoid prosecution. But Evan is sure he's been abducted or killed for reasons associated with his work for Naval Intelligence. As Evan hunts for clues, she's attacked by an armed man. The attacker ends up dead—and turns out to be a federal agent. Now Evan is on the run, implicated in his murder. ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kill Chain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kill Chain

Debra
Dec 27, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Stephen King recommended book and author. King says this about the Evan Delaney series: "Simply put, the finest crime suspense series I've come across in the last twenty years...your basic can't-put-'em-down thrill rides."

10/13/13. A thrill a minute; I could hardly put this book down. I'm so disappointed Gardiner hasn't written any more books in this series. Don't leave us hanging, Meg! So much still has to be resolved. And I'm sure our hero and heroine are going to up for another thrilling ride
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
In this (the last?) installment of the Evan Delaney Series we readers finally discover why Jax Riviera and Tim Green keep popping into Evan Delaney's life. There is a connection to a mother and son prostitute ring and a failed off the books ops - "Riverbend." Phil Delaney is being prosecuted for revealing classified information and he's been kidnapped by the Sangers. The price is, you guessed it, the Riverbend file that Jax has had hidden all of these years as an insurance policy. Evan must trav ...more
Celia Powell
Sep 13, 2008 Celia Powell rated it it was ok
Shelves: thrillers-crime
This certainly charges along at a good pace, and a lack of knowledge of the Evan, the main character (who's starred in four previous novels of Gardiner's) isn't a big deal. It's the premise of the book and the actual plot I had a problem with - completely overcomplicated and ridiculous. As an example, it involves a madam who stunts the growth of several of her prostitutes so that they always look small and young to attract customers. But they're also described as wizened and with rotting teeth, ...more
Kurt Adam
Jun 25, 2011 Kurt Adam rated it it was amazing
The final (for now) Evan Delaney thriller is a rip-roaring thrill ride. Whereas the earlier books in the series were more straight-ahead mysteries in and around California, Kill Chain is a globe-trotting high stakes thriller that has more in common with The Bourne Identity than Ms. Marple. Once the action takes off, the story doesn't let up until the tense, exciting end. I've enjoyed the writing in all of Meg Gardiner's books that I've read, but reading the last few so close together really high ...more
Anne Peachey
Sep 24, 2016 Anne Peachey rated it really liked it
Kill Chain is a tale of danger, suspense and evil.
Gardiner brings Evan Delaney to life trying to uncover the mystery of her fathers seemingly death in an accident where there is no body.
She does not believe he is dead and is dragged into a plot of kidnapping for an object she has no idea that exists.
She has 72 hours to find this object or the death of herself and her loved ones will begin.
Only Evan Delaney can break the 'Kill Chain'.
Another terrific read that will have you sitting on the edge
Rebecca
Mar 03, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disabled-hero
In terms of the plot, this is one of Meg Gardiner's best. However, I was disappointed by the relatively small amount of Jesse and crushed by the cliffhanger ending, forcing me to drop the score.
Nancy
Jan 18, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
I have to say that Meg Gardiner gets better with each book she completes. I completed this book several weeks ago and I can still remember the rush to get to the end.
Phoebe
Dec 18, 2015 Phoebe rated it liked it
The last in the Evan Delaney series was a thrill ride. Things moved fast from the start and it was action-packed to the end. Just when you think things are slowing down, everything starts back up again. The main premise--line of business for one of the antagonists, in particular--is disturbing but a sad reality that older teen and adult readers should be able to handle. Settings for this one go beyond SoCal, including a short visit to the Bay Area (South Bay) and some international ones too. I w ...more
JayeL
Dec 26, 2014 JayeL rated it liked it
Shelves: own, audio, 2014
Krista
May 30, 2009 Krista rated it did not like it
The plot of this book moves at a really fast pace which was entertaining. I didn't realize when I started the book that it was #5 in a series, but I didn't have any problem with story continuity by jumping in at the middle of the series.

I don't consider myself a prude, but there was just way too much vile swearing (maybe enhanced in my mind because I was listening to this as an audio book, not reading it on a page) and the villians were all just totally disgusting. I thought it was a dark story
Patricia
Sep 28, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
The discovery of Phil Delaney’s vehicle at the bottom of a hundred foot drop sends Evan Delaney into a tailspin from which she will never completely recover. The police suspect that Phil has committed suicide since he is currently the subject of an investigation by an ambitious U. S. Attorney who is hoping for an indictment. Since Phil blew the whistle on a dirty government operation he had lost his security clearance and most of his consulting business.

Evan was convinced that her father would n
Michael Harling
Feb 04, 2013 Michael Harling rated it really liked it
Kill Chain took me longer to read than I thought it would because I had to keep stopping to catch my breath.

Evan Delaney’s adventures never lack action, but this one takes off on page one, grabs you by the throat and doesn’t ease up until the final paragraph. The book is one solid action sequence with precious few scenes that leave Evan and company safe for the time being, so it is best to take advantage of them when you can—step away from the book, have a cup of tea, maybe read a light article
Dec 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Meg Gardiner fan. She is an expert at weaving a thrilling tale and this one is right up there with the rest. I was devastated at the end of Crosscut, and while Kill Chain made me feel a little better, I'm still agonizing over the plight of Evan Delaney. Honestly, I think that's the true test of a writer of any fictional genre... can you make the reader care so much about your character's so much that they think of them as real people? With Meg Gardiner's stories, you can't help it.

I
Jody
Feb 18, 2009 Jody rated it really liked it
This 5th Evan Delany book has her trotting the globe in search of the 'Riverbend Files' in order to save her dad's life. At each stop she picks up a flash drive and another piece of the puzzle. She is often in real peril in a way that say Stephanie Plum never is. My biggest problem with this was the 'down ticker', the time she had to find the next piece, or what?? Evan was given 16 hours to get from LA to Bangkok so out of curiosity I searched for flights. The shortest time I founds was indeed 1 ...more
Hapzydeco
Sep 06, 2016 Hapzydeco rated it it was ok
Must have missed Gardiner’s clues because I was clueless from the beginning to the end of this addition to the Evan Delaney series. At times this book did not make sense plus the plot became too far out there. Delaney deserves better treatment.
Carol Chapman
Mar 16, 2015 Carol Chapman rated it did not like it
I listened to this as an audiobook that Mark happened to have handy. I quit listening after 2 discs and would have quit sooner if I'd had anything else to listen to. The one woman who read the book did an awful job of it.
Julie
Nov 11, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. When a woman's father disappears, the police think he's fled the country to avoid prosecution. She is sure he's been abducted or killed for reasons associated with his work for Naval Intelligence. As she hunts for clues, she's attacked by an armed man. The attacker ends up dead—and turns out to be a federal agent. Now she is on the run, implicated in his murder. And then she's contacted by a sinister madam and gigolo mother-and-son team who claim her father was mixed up in their ver ...more
Robert Dunn
Jul 13, 2016 Robert Dunn rated it really liked it
I am disappointed that this the last book in the Evan Delaney series. They have all been good crime series. This one is fast and furious. Simply a good read from start to finish.
David Highton
Nov 19, 2015 David Highton rated it liked it
not sure this would be easy as a stand alone novel if you hadn't read the previous ones - runs virtually straight on from Crosscut, but has an even more unbelievable plot. The end seems to leave it open for the next episode - I think Delaney may appear again in one of the Jo Beckett series
Selina
Feb 06, 2016 Selina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, audio-book, pwd
I LOVED this book!! Jesse is a great character and I love the conflicted perspective he brings. I did not love the cliffhanger ending, but only because there is no sequel published yet!

I was glad to see so many different stories and lingering questions answered... or working towards any answer anyway.

Definitely read this book! But read the other books in the series first.
Kathy
Aug 08, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Despite the previous fairly good reviews I didn't rate this book and was disappointed! Could easily have given it 2 out of 5!!
Carol
Dec 29, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found a new favorite author!!
D. Roll
Aug 09, 2014 D. Roll rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book
Kate
Nov 01, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really enjoy the Evan Delaney series. She's a great character, the books are fast paced and I can't put them down once I get started. I've always found real life to be scarier than anything supernatural, and Meg Gardiner is masterful at bringing real world horrors to life. In this book there's human trafficking, child prostitution and genetic manipulation. I just wish Gardiner would give us a complete happy ending for once. There's always something harrowing, and this one is a doozy.
T.M. Carper
Dec 29, 2014 T.M. Carper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
A non-stop thrill ride from start-to-finish. Secrets are revealed about Evan's father's job, as well as more from Jax's past and dossier. Evan has to jetset around the world in search of flashdrives containing information that her father's kidnappers want before her time runs out or the police catch her. Full of twists and a heart-pounding finale that leaves you breathless.

I can't wait for a follow-up to "Kill Chain" to see what happens to Jesse and Evan.
Jon
Dec 19, 2007 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
It is a shame that Meg Gardiner is not published in the U.S. It is worth your while to seek out her books, as she has the talent to befantastic storyteller and book seller. Kill Chain, the 5th Evan Delaney mystery, is not as good as Crosscut, but is still worth your time. This story suffers from too many plot twists and written-for-the-screen action. Many plot points are left unanswered, which makes for a fun wait for book 6. Find these books and read them from the beginning!
Lisa Anne
Jun 10, 2016 Lisa Anne rated it liked it
Not the best in the Meg Gardiner series, but still worth reading/listening to. There were many twists and turns in this novel...to the point where it seemed like Gardiner was trying a tad too hard to make the storyline interesting. Overall, I like her work and her characters...this just wasn't one of my favorites!
B.G.M. Hall
Sep 09, 2012 B.G.M. Hall rated it really liked it
Just finished a re-read of the early Evan Delaney books, noticing a lot of the set-up the author did for what eventually turned out to be the secret of Georgia. Gardiner brought Evan out of her normal (but never boring) California life and raced her around the world to solve a puzzle and save her family, while putting strain on many relationships. Creepy villains and unexpected twists.
Afsana
Nov 28, 2009 Afsana rated it liked it
This was a an ok book fast paced and the book kept you waiting on what was happening and why

What I did find was interesting ***POSSIBLE SPOILER*** How much Phil delaney was able to say on his call for help when he was supposedly on the run

The did like the book but wouldn't say enjoyed the book there was something not quiet right and so it didn't get 4 or 5 star
Marcus Lynn
Aug 20, 2011 Marcus Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the fifth of five (with more probably to come) Evan Delaney novels. I've enjoyed all of them after I read a faving review from Stephen King. While this book does not stand out as exceptional the series continue to keep my interest.
  • The Deserter: Murder at Gettysburg (Homer Kelly, #17)
  • The Man in the Mist
  • Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Amelia Peabody, #1-4)
  • Death from the Woods
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Viskleken (Opcop, #1)
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • The Chairman
  • His Lady Godiva (Lovers and Other Strangers, #1)
  • Shadow Season
  • Irish Stew! (Nuala Anne McGrail, #7)
  • Women of Mystery
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Staccato (Inola Walela/Steven Hawk Suspense Series, #1)
  • Broken (1NightStand, #100)
  • Blood And Bone
  • Dolly and the Doctor Bird (Johnson Johnson, #3)
  • Saying Uncle
Meg Gardiner was born in Oklahoma and raised in Santa Barbara, California. She graduated from Stanford University and Stanford Law School.

She practiced law in Los Angeles and taught writing at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She’s a former collegiate cross-country runner and a three time Jeopardy! champion. She lives in Austin, Texas.

China Lake won the 2009 Edgar award from the Myste
More about Meg Gardiner...

Evan Delaney (5 books)
  • China Lake (Evan Delaney, #1)
  • Mission Canyon (Evan Delaney, #2)
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)