Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away!

Manga for the Beginner: Everything you Need to Start Drawing Right Away! (Manga for the Beginner)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Got manga? Christopher Hart’s got manga, and he wants to share it with all his millions of readers—especially the beginners. With Manga for the Beginner, anyone who can hold a pencil can start drawing great manga characters right away. Using his signature step-by-step style, Hart shows how to draw the basic manga head and body, eyes, bodies, fashion, and more. Then he goes...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Watson-Guptill (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Manga for the Beginner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manga for the Beginner

Este
this is the best book for begining manga masters. it goes over the basics in a simple, easy to understand way, and the best thing is your drawing actually look kinda good by the time your done reading. lots of tips and ways to fix common mistakes. by the end of this book, you will be a manga master.
Roberta
Everything You Need to Know and to Get Started Right Away
Well if you’re like me and you can’t draw worth a whittle it makes you think you can draw by showing you detailed drawings of proportions and “how tos” I doubt if I could still do it but it certainly gave me an appreciation and understanding of Manga.

If you are inclined to draw this book is great. Very authentic with tons of step by step instruction. It covers the basics like the manga head and body proportions (pg 14-25), brilliant eyes (...more
Eleanor Paul
I really liked this book. It teaches the principles of general manga as well as how to draw entire scenes and sequential panels. It teaches you how to draw more than what is in the book. Just FYI by beginner, it means beginner in manga. It expects you to be able to draw decent lines and basic shapes.
Weston Black
Highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to draw, or improve their drawing. Very easy to follow.
P饆øñ
The illustrations were magnificent! It is very authentic manga. It doesn't look like a cartoon artist that tried to draw manga and made into a book(like most american manga book authors). It looks like a japanese artist did it instead of a cartoon artist from america. If you compare Christopher's art to the real thing you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It give you info on anthropomorphics , animals, humans, poses, and SO much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anna Robertson
I have been intimidated by the art of manga, and this drawing guide was the best thing possible to help me advance in my abilities. Manga for the Beginner is very full in showing and explaining the steps in drawing different poses and face expressions. Also, this book encourages using movement of hair and clothes and perspective to make the drawing more realistic and exciting. I totally recommend this book for anyone wanting to get started in drawing manga.
Ala'a Abdullah
Not a lot of details about drawing eyes or hair, kinda should different ways but not in details. But overall it was quite helpful.
Ella
It's a good reference and has a lot more than my other one I was kinda hoping it would have more on different styles too though
C
May 08, 2012 C added it
Awsome book tells you how to draw manga with steps and gives tips here and there to make it look realistic!!!!!!!
Puppy
Jun 19, 2013 Puppy marked it as to-read
i thing it is very good i'm going to show to my bff they will love it because they love anime book
Mark
Hehe -.o Now thats what i am Readin..
Oh ye..
Will Nevah Finish :D [;
Aung Hpone moe
Aung Hpone moe marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Felipe Miller castellano
Felipe Miller castellano marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Hanifa
Hanifa is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Abdulrhman Diabi
Abdulrhman Diabi marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Sakura
Sakura marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
[mmm]
[mmm] marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Angel Arturo
Angel Arturo marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Mickie
Mickie added it
Aug 15, 2014
  • Mastering Manga with Mark Crilley: 30 Drawing Lessons from the Creator of Akiko
  • You Can Draw in 30 Days: The Fun, Easy Way to Learn to Draw in One Month or Less
  • How To Draw Manga Volume 1: Compiling Characters (How to Draw Manga)
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • How To Make Webcomics
  • How to Draw What You See
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 09
  • Dark Reign: Deadpool/Thunderbolts
  • Fun with a Pencil
  • Ghost Trackers
  • Kobato., Vol. 05 (Kobato., #5)
  • 1,000 Steampunk Creations: Neo-Victorian Fashion, Gear, and Art
  • Transformers: Exodus: The Official History of the War for Cybertron
  • Theater Geek: The Real Life Drama of a Summer at Stagedoor Manor, the Famous Performing Arts Camp
  • Dancing in the Wings
  • Doctor Who: The Vault: Treasures from the First 50 Years
  • The Art of Spirited Away

I started drawing character designs for a small animation studio in San Diego, California, when I was still in High School in Los Angeles. I used to drive 136 miles, each way, on the weekends, when I was 16, just for the opportunity to get paid to draw. Cartooning was a magical experience to me.

I graduated from...more
More about Christopher Hart...
Manga Mania Chibi and Furry Characters: How to Draw the Adorable Mini-Characters and Cool Cat-Girls of Manga Manga Mania: How to Draw Japanese Comics Manga for the Beginner Chibis: Everything You Need to Start Drawing the Super-Cute Characters of Japanese Comics Manga for the Beginner Kawaii: How to Draw the Supercute Characters of Japanese Comics Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy