Start by marking “Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu)” as Want to Read:
Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu)

Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  4,328 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Ordinary people are confronted by the terrifying beings and forces of the Cthulhu Mythos. Players portray investigators of things unknown and unspeakable. Except for dice, everything needed for play is included in this book. Call of Cthulhu includes extensive background about H. P. Lovecraft, one-stop investigator creation, dozens of skills, three eras of play (1890s, 1920 ...more
Hardcover, Edition 5.6, 288 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Chaosium (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Call of Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call of Cthulhu

Devin
While I was aware of the existence of horror roleplaying games as a young teen - a friend had a copy of Chill, and another friend had a copy of Beyond the Supernatural - Call of Cthulhu served as my most memorable introduction to horror roleplay, as well as my introduction to Lovecraft's work. One of the striking things about the game when I started playing was that it was set in the 1920s, a period I had known little to nothing about. It has since become my favorite horror game, in part because ...more
Chris
About time I put this up here. The best roleplaying game of all time to me. I have been playing this game since I was 13 and still play it today 16 years later. Of all the games I have run as GM, this is the one I have run the most, and the most successfully as well. It is probably the only rpg (along with Dying Earth) where I know the rules by heart and do not have to consistently look up reading material.

The percentage system is sublime, but most importantly, unlike most other games, leveling
Preludes
To play Call of Cthulhu, all you need is one person to act as Games-Master (who creates the story scenarios and controls the non-playable-characters) and another few people (2-6 usually works great, but you can have more or even less). You also need character sheets (found in this book) and dice (two D10s are essential, but sometimes you also need D6s etc). Then all you do is gather around a table and play out the scenario the GM has created, creating your own exciting story, using dice rolls to ...more
Jay Little
Sandy Petersen and Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying game is one of the longest running, most enduring, and most influential RPGS of all time. Over the different editions, I believe it has been translated into more than a dozen languages. The game system is simple, but does an excellent job of evoking the otherworldly horrors and insanity-inducing encounters of Lovecrafts work. It is an important work in the RPG industry.
Terence
Dec 04, 2011 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terence by: College-era playgroup
I remember playing this a few times during my UCLA days with a group of fellow RPG enthusiasts (this was the era of 2nd Edition AD&D). The one thing I remember about the game was that the longer one's character dealt with the Elder Gods et al. the greater the chances that one would go insane.
Susan Bin
um why aren't you rpging this right now
Krzysztof
I have a friend who's a long-time Call of Cthulhu GM and player. He always said that if you want to run Call of Cthulhu, reading the rulebook is a mistake. He's 100% right.

Out of this 300+ pages corebook, you need only read the first 100 (the rules themselves), or the first half of the book if you're feeling generous (pages 100-150 is some semi-useful fluff and GM advice). Do not bother with the other 150 pages, because there's almost nothing there worth reading. I skipped the Spells chapter and
Chris
It's begining to worry me that I am the only person to have rated any of these games on GoodReads. Am I the only user to enter any RPGs? Fly that freak-flag, I say!

I only played Cthulhu a few times in college. Of course, the premise is promising - its Cthulhu! Who hasn't wanted to do research at Miskitonic, uncover a dark and antedeluvian cult, or die gibbering and clawing at one's skin after seeing the precyclopian horror that man was not meant to know? And there-in lies the draw-back to this
Try Ngaserin
Simply one of the best BRPs out there. Get a group of 4-6 and you're set to go. This is a must-try for all RPers, we still run sessions (6th Edition) from time to time so contact me if you are interested.
Sarah O'brien
Classic horror gaming at its finest.
Thomas Kadim
I have fallen in love with the fiction of Lovecraft. This is by far the most enjoyable pen and paper RPG I have played. The d100 system works great, and really contributes to unique character development. The horror and mystery of Lovecraft creates a suspense like in no other RPG. Almost anything, from a bear, to a zombie, to a trap, can kill you; and yet, the largest threat by far, is your own mind falling into insanity.
Kat
Probably my favorite RPG of all time. The roleplaying is way more important than number crunching, leveling, and min-maxing. It's very difficult not to have good stories with this game, but it's also sometimes very difficult to find a good group to play with. If you're a gamer and you haven't tried this game, you should, especially if you consider yourself mroe of a role-player than a gamer.
Jared
I always enjoyed the subject matter, so trying the game was a natural leap. Sat in on a session of Call of Cthulhu at a gaming con back in 94 and it was not only very imaginative, but the game mechanics were much more fluid than others I had played up to that point. It's certainly worth a look.
Paul
The quintessential horror rpg. A rule system you can write on about 4 sides of A4, one that scales brilliantly when the PCs get more experienced and a setting that leaves the PCs feeling helpless no matter what they know or how experienced they are - what's not to love?
Honeybadger
I really liked the idea of playing a character until they ran out of Sanity points instead of health levels or hit points. You aren't throwing down in battle until you're slain, you're trying to hold on to reality until you go mad. Good times.
Jean-francois Boivin
I have these versions of the rules:

1st edition (box), 2nd printing
3rd edition (box)
3rd edition (UK hardcover)
4th edition
5th edition
5.6.1 (hardcover)
5.6.Corrected (20th Anniversary Edition)
6th edition (30th Anniversary 2011 Edition)
Steve
Okay. This is certainly not for everyone. But if you're the type who enjoys role playing, you should give this a go. You'll have to roll an idea check after reading, because this corebook an *insanely* good time!
Haolen Asakura
Well, this book is the first lovecraft novel that i read and i simply love it, all of it is very interesting its difficult to believe that this is a work of fiction.
Very recomendable.
Noah Soudrette
Nov 22, 2007 Noah Soudrette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovecraft fans, gamers
My favorite role playing game of all time. Based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and his circle of friends. A must for all role players. It doesn't get any better than this.
Philip
Another pivotal moment- when i was introduced to Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying. Awesome RPG rulebook- one of the best of all time, imho.
Scott Carmody
More of a story game than the typical rpg. Might be better to use for the one shot horror/Halloween games.
Dustin
One of the classics of roleplaying, Call of Cthulhu is something everyone should play at least once.
Rodney
An absolute classic in RPGs. Everyone should play this at least once in their lives.
Macamboy
One of the original and still the best. Easy to understand and adopt.
John Michael
This is such a cool game for people who love Lovecraft!
Brian Sammons
Perhaps the best role playing game of all time.
John
fiction,fantasy,science fiction,role-playing game
Chuck
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
JoAnn
Read the original story.
Goodreads Librari...: Call of Chtulhu 4 38 Feb 17, 2015 07:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Call of Cthulhu 3 22 Jan 23, 2015 01:15PM
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Vampire: The Masquerade Revised
  • Vampire: The Dark Ages
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Dungeon Masters Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook)
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • Ravenloft, I6 (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Official Game Adventure #9075)
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Core Rulebook)
  • Shadowrun (Second Edition)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana: A Guide to Lovecraftian Horror (Call of Cthulhu)
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Dark Heresy RPG: Core Rulebook
  • Dungeon Master's Guide (Dungeons & Dragons v.3.5)
  • Guide to the Camarilla
  • Vampire: the Requiem

Call of Cthulhu RPG (1 - 10 of 244 books)
  • Shadows of Yog-Sothoth
  • Cthulhu Companion: Ghastly Adventures & Erudite Lore (Call of Cthulhu)
  • The Arkham Evil (A Call of Cthulhu Adventure)
  • Death in Dunwich
  • Pursuit to Kadath (Call of Cthulhu)
  • The Asylum and Other Tales
  • Curse of the Chthonians: Four Odysseys Into Deadly Intrigue
  • Whispers from the Abyss
  • "Glozel Est Authentique!" (Call of Cthulhu Adventure)
  • The Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep (Call of Cthulhu)
S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters: A Field Observer's Handbook of Preternatural Entities (Call of Cthulhu) S. Petersen's Field Guide to Creatures of the Dreamlands: An Album of Entities from the Land Beyond the Wall of Sleep (Call of Cthulhu) Shadows of Yog-Sothoth H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands: Cthulhu Roleplaying Beyond the Wall of Sleep (Call of Cthulhu) Ghostbusters (A Frightfully Cheerful Roleplaying Game)