Coffee: A Dark History

Coffee: A Dark History

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Reveals the shocking exploitation that has always lurked at the heart of the industry.

Also known as Black Gold: The Dark History of Coffee.
Published June 1st 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 1st 2004)

The Devil's Cup by Stewart Lee AllenPour Your Heart Into It by Howard SchultzDr. Johnson's London by Liza PicardUncommon Grounds by Mark PendergrastEverything but the Coffee by Bryant Simon
Espresso, Java, Coffee
6th out of 47 books — 17 voters
Salt by Mark KurlanskyAt Home by Bill BrysonA History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom StandageGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondThe Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
Histories of the Everyday
78th out of 163 books — 214 voters

More lists with this book...

Tyler True
Coffee: A Dark History is a great feat of story-telling and of research. I will look for an opportunity to buy this book. Antony Wild thrillingly pursues the hard-to-isolate history of coffee rather than succumbing to “the number of myths that are ritually aired by the coffee trade to keep the curious at bay” (pg. 17).

Biology and chemistry, anthropology and linguistics, history and government, theology of all kinds and economics, painfully real or theoretical – these are but some of the fields t...more
Richard
I've been thinking about reading a book about coffee when I saw Coffee: A Dark History at our local library, so I took a chance.

A Dark History sets out to explore the origin of the coffee plant, how and who started drinking coffee and it's spread through out the world to became one of the most important commodity. In addition, the author shows the devastating effect the coffee crop (and policies around coffee) has had on countries and people (African slave trade - North South issues) that provi...more
Norain MT
It was not that thick but halfway through it, I had to put it aside. I would not say the narration was bad. It just had the tendency to wander off to other things, so you got not only about coffee and its rival tea but also Napoleon, Sufism, goat and apple berries, Starbucks, capitalism in America, Monsanto… And oh yes, don’t forget St Helena.

But I did not abandon the book altogether, thanks to the experience of reading Consuming Passions: Leisure and Pleasure in Victorian Britain which was not...more
Jeff
This was quite a fascinating book. The author has a very quirky sense of humor and a good writing style that I enjoyed. I had to read a number of passages aloud to friends and family as I went through. The author does need to calm down a bit though, as the first few chapters feel like he has imbibed a bit too much of this beverage and he is on a caffeinated romp zipping through this subject and that subject back and forth seemingly at random, sometimes even within the same paragraph.

I definitely...more
Leo Africanus
Seemingly written in a frenetic caffeine-fuelled state, the book contains far too many rambling tangents and a sprinkling of horrendous factual errors (especially when explaining Islamic terminology e.g. confusing the sunnah with the Quran).

However the first couple of chapters demand attention as they chart the Chinese inspired path of coffee under Arab and then Ottoman auspices to the gates of Vienna only for secular Turkey to dismiss its 400 year coffee drinking history in favour of tea.

Readi...more
Amy
NF
308 pages

Oh coffee, how I enjoy drinking you! Very interesting to know where you come from. I learnt a lot about the cultivation of coffee and the history it installed. What an eye opening account of coffees' history. Along with the trading and economics and science and cultures that co-inside with its' history, I learned about the civilizations that were a part of it. Coffe was very important in world trade for over 500 years and still is today.
Petra
A 3.5 star book. There's a lot of interesting information here about coffee and the coffee trade.
The author does run off on mainly unrelated tangents occasionally and some of the history of the Coffee Traders, with all the names and dates and ship names, is quite dry and detailed but, on the whole, this is an interesting look at coffee history from ancient times to the present, including Fair Trade coffees.

Zoe
This book confirms my view that Starbucks is evil and reinforces my decision not to patronize them. Wild does an excellent job of pointing out the economic webs around coffee, and how, as usual, it is the poor farmers who suffer the most from price fluctuations, weather issues, and World Bank policies. It is worth the read, although if you are already tending toward depressed, it won't cheer you up at all.
Angel
Excerpt from my review at my blog, The Itinerant Librarian:

"Coffee is one of my favorite topics. I enjoy the drink, and I like reading about the lore and history around it, so I thought this would be a good book on the topic. It was not to be."

Visit my blog to read the rest. Link: http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...
Tim
Does what it says it does. But in the midst of the coffee discussion, Wild goes off on long tangents about St. Helena and a variety of other topics. He looks longingly back at the 19th century world (an English one) and disparages global (American) capitalism. Of course, there is quite a lot to disparage...
Elizabeth
Oct 29, 2007 Elizabeth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs
This book is misleading- title seems interesting but is really quite a bore! I only finished it because it was the only English language book available in Zambia where I suffered the misfortune of running out of books.
Gerard Walsh
Interesting political, economic and social history of coffee and a good introduction to the varieties and preparations of the drink.
Aaron
Great history, interesting social commentary, but let down by amateur hour regarding the health effects of caffeine and/or coffee.
Eric
A very well written, fascinating look at the second most traded commodity in the world.
May Khaw
Mostly skimmed it. Not as interesting as I expected.
Jason
A tour de force.
Rodeo Valenzuela
Rodeo Valenzuela marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kui
Kui marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Gheeta
Gheeta marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Katrina Grajeda
Katrina Grajeda marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Michelle Morrison
Michelle Morrison marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Krissy
Krissy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
John Castle
John Castle is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
William Nesseth
William Nesseth marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Daniel Muresan
Daniel Muresan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ahmed Alnasser
Ahmed Alnasser marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • The Coffee House: A Cultural History
  • Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • Beans: A History
  • God in a Cup: The Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Coffee
  • Robbing the Bees: A Biography of Honey--The Sweet Liquid Gold that Seduced the World
  • Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light
  • The Potato: How the Humble Spud Rescued the Western World
  • Potato: A History of the Propitious Esculent
  • Sugar: A Bittersweet History
  • Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide
The Perfect Afternoon Tea Recipe Book The Perfect Afternoon Tea Book The East India Company: Trade and Conquest from 1600 The East India Company - Book of Tea Improving Inventory Record Accuracy