Start by marking “The Gospel According to Star Wars: Faith, Hope, and the Force” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to Star Wars: Faith, Hope, and the Force

The Gospel According to Star Wars: Faith, Hope, and the Force

Star Wars is one of the most beloved movie series of all time, and in this book John McDowell explores the many spiritual themes that weave throughout the six films. From the Force to the dark side, the issues discussed in the films have a moral and spiritual complexity that, if paid attention to, can help us better understand our place in the world and our relation to oth ...more
Published March 2nd 2007 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Star Wars

Emily
Aug 09, 2011 Emily added it
The book was difficult to get through. It was also not as Gospel-focused as the title makes you believe.
Soho_Black
Nov 21, 2016 Soho_Black rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
With 390,000 claiming their religion as Jedi in the 2001 census and 176,000 maintaining that belief 10 years later, it’s perhaps hardly surprising that someone would want to relate “Star Wars” and Christianity, as it’s not entirely uncommon for Christian authors to jump on the latest trends and see if they can put a Christian spin on them. What is rarer is for someone to miss their aim quite as much as John C. McDowell seems to have done with “The Gospel According to Star Wars”.

McDowell gives a
Blake
May 19, 2015 Blake rated it really liked it
For years, my Christian friends and I have talked about how "STAR WARS" has all the themes of the Gospel. Now...there's proof of it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and found it to be real, true, and very well written. I would highly recommend it to my Christians friends, and my friends who aren't Christian, but still adore the "STAR WARS" movies in general.

At times, it was difficult to follow his argument, or see where he was going, but he never lost me, be honest...we have all read books that w
Allison Arthur
Feb 02, 2011 Allison Arthur rated it really liked it
In this book, McDowell explores the possibility that Lucas formed his films around spiritual and moral ideals. The differing themes throughout the two separate trilogies revealed different ideologies, and McDowell attempts to explain them. Sometimes it was difficult to follow his arguments, but they were very compelling and thought-provoking. A good read for Star Wars addicts or those who like to read about different spiritual ideologies.
Matt
Oct 26, 2012 Matt rated it it was ok
As much as I wanted to like it - as a Star Wars fan and armchair theologian - I couldn't finish. Too academic for me.
Lisa
Feb 18, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it
Not enough of a Star Wars geek to appreciate this one.
Oct 05, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
A serious book, not a light study as the title suggest.
Joel Beyer
Joel Beyer rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2016
Quinn Rollins
Quinn Rollins rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Troy
Troy rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Jessica Dixon
Jessica Dixon rated it really liked it
May 26, 2017
Davidl
Davidl rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2013
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Joel Jackson
Joel Jackson rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Rebecca Lundberg
Mar 03, 2008 Rebecca Lundberg rated it liked it
Don't laugh too hard. It's a serious book. Really.
Rodrigo
Rodrigo rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Pastor Eric
Pastor Eric rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2012
Tim Donaldson
Tim Donaldson rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Aria Eve
Aria Eve rated it did not like it
Mar 24, 2009
Cameron Clark
Cameron Clark rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Brendon
Brendon rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2008
Bee
Bee rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2008
Lois
Lois rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Georgia Currie
Georgia Currie rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2013