Start by marking “Star Wars: Infinities - The Empire Strikes Back ” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Infinities - The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Infinities - The Empire Strikes Back

Take the events and characters from one of the classic Star Wars films, throw in one happenstance, mishap, or technical glitch beyond the characters' control, and watch how that changes everything. In Dark Horse's first foray into Infinities (A New Hope), Luke Skywalker's valiant torpedo attack on the Death Star failed due to a faulty detonator — an event no one ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by Dark Horse Books (first published April 2nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

j
Dec 31, 2014 j rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This one didn't seem as plausible at A New Hope and I had trouble figuring out what was going on a few times, but I really liked it anyway. Especially the Cloud City parts. Could probably stand to be longer.
Hector
Sep 24, 2014 Hector rated it really liked it
Great book very action packed and very explainable on the reverse star wars story. Loved it!
James Bardo
Jul 27, 2014 James Bardo rated it really liked it
What would happen to the Star Wars saga if Luke Skywalker died on Hoth? That is the premise of Star Wars: Infinities: The Empire Strikes back.
I'll start off with the bad. After loving the first one from A New Hope, I had high expectations for this. It was good, but I'll get to the reason why I rated it so high in a second. Most of this was very rushed. For example, when Yoda tells Leia she is Darth Vader's daughter, she sort of shrugs it off and doesn't think it is a big deal. And the end is als
La Espada en la Tinta
Feb 27, 2014 La Espada en la Tinta rated it really liked it
Los llamados "Infinities" –o "Infinitos"– no son más que la versión galáctica de los famosos "What if..." dentro del mundo del cómic. Si en la primera entrega de la colección (que aún hoy puede encontrarse en castellano si se busca bien), Infinitos: Una nueva esperanza, el héroe de la Rebelión Luke Skywalker erró el tiro que propiciaría la destrucción de la primera Estrella de la Muerte, desencadenando toda una secuela de acontecimientos totalmente alternativos, en Infinites: The Empire Strikes ...more
Christian Petrie
Jun 08, 2015 Christian Petrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, star-wars
Continuing on from the What If story of a New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back is next. Now this does not start from the end of the last series, but begins that the events of A New Hope remained intact. The difference is that on Hoth Luke dies before Han can save him. With this being the change, we start to see the difference in what could have been.

Out of the three books, Return of the Jedi is next, this one was the weaker one. However, this does not mean it was bad. It was good, not as good as th
Jaime
Jan 03, 2015 Jaime rated it really liked it
This AU pretends the altered event happened in ESB. The colours were great and the art was not bad.

- Luke freezes to death, but not before telling Han of Dagobah. Han, in turn tells Leia.
- The two of them and the droids first go to Bespin and thwart Fett...who's working for Vader, not Jabba as they expected. Vader destroys Bespin just after Han & Leia leave for Dagobah.
- Yoda trains Leia and Han goes to pay off Jabba only to be captured by the Hutt. Eventually he escapes with R2, but 3PO is
Bradley
Aug 01, 2009 Bradley rated it liked it
After being blown away with A New Hope Infinites, I was surprised how much of a down swing this was. The ‘What-if’ scenario is Luke Skywalker dies while Han Solo attempts to rescue him from the Hoth blizzard, seen at the beginning of the movie. It makes for an interesting premise as Solo mis-interprets Luke’s final message into believing he must go to Dagobah to train as a Jedi. Instead, he finds one of his other colleagues has the potential and must be trained to save the galaxy…. As I said, it ...more
Jeff Lanter
Dec 16, 2010 Jeff Lanter rated it liked it
After reading the first volume of Infinities, I was really excited to read this one. Unfortunately, as other reviewers have pointed out, The Empire Strikes Back Edition can't live up to the excellence of the A New Hope. I think creating a What If for the second of the Star Wars movie was a much taller task. There are so many more small, character moments that are harder to play with. The story also feels like it was cut down and has some abrupt transitions. Jabba the Hutt somehow seems almost jo ...more
Lauren
Dec 14, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
While the art was not always my favorite, I feel this is a very strong AU with several original elements. Empire Strikes Back is my favorite film of the original trilogy and this is my favorite of the Infinities. Leia takes on a very interesting and dynamic role in this alternate version of the story. It's a fascinating look at "what might have been."
CJ
May 13, 2015 CJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: _comics
Artwork is much better than Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope but still the resemblance is off from the original actors.

The story was not as interesting as A New Hope but was worth a read.
Nikola Ziki
Apr 10, 2016 Nikola Ziki rated it really liked it
Falls short to the first comic in the series, but a very exciting story. Some parts seemed kind of rushed. Especially the ending.

It has some amazing parts on Cloud city and the duel between Yoda and Darth Vader, which I didn't expect to see.
Scott
Jan 02, 2015 Scott rated it liked it
Seems a bit rushed near the end.
A.
Jul 27, 2010 A. rated it it was amazing
The story is excellent -- I was very drawn to the "What if...?" aspect that permeates it. What if Luke had died from his injuries on Hoth? Who would then face Vader? What if Vader showed up at Cloud City a little bit later than he did in the film?

Instead of Luke training as a Jedi, we see Leia taking that role after Luke's death. And instead of Han being frozen in carbonite, a certain bounty hunter has to endure that -- and subsequently ends up as an interesting piece of furniture for Lando Cal
Neal
3.65
Angela
Sep 04, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
What would have happened if Luke had died? This is actually a better story than the first one. It shows the differences in character between Leia and Luke. Leia does really well, and is the main driving force behind the story. A really good read.
Angel
Mar 15, 2009 Angel rated it really liked it
This time, the series looks at The Empire Strikes Back, and what if Luke had died frozen in Hoth instead of found right on time by Han Solo. Well, in this case, Leia has to take the mantle and train to be a Jedi.

One of the neat things of this series is that they have different artist and authors, so the art style varies, which I find neat. This is also a pretty quick read, and I found it entertaining. I will certainly look for the final volume in this series.
Adam Sidaway
Dec 17, 2015 Adam Sidaway rated it it was ok
Really cool in the middle with the comic set on Bespin but I didn't like the rest of it to be honest.
Sean
Dec 26, 2012 Sean rated it it was ok
This tale of What If? in the Star Wars universe is pretty cliched and the art is so basic and cartoony that the overall story is really setback. The characters are still recognizable but the basic looking art with bland backgrounds make it a little hard to even get into the ridiculously cliched story. Innovation was nowhere to be found here. Just run of the mill.
Benjamin
Jun 22, 2009 Benjamin rated it it was amazing
These short graphic novels take the idea of a single changed event wreaking havoc on the original Star Wars stories and twisting them in an entertaining set of "what if" scenarios.

Though all enjoyable for Star Wars fanboys, The Empire Strikes Back Infinities story should be a blast for anyone who has seen the original trilogy.

M Pereira
Feb 16, 2012 M Pereira rated it really liked it
This is a pretty nice story. An alternate universe of star wars where Skywalker died on the ice planet of Hoth. This had some unexpected turns, and less was resolved compared to the other two 'infinities', however, there was a greater affinity with the first trilogy I think, which was satisfying to read.
Roberta
Aug 23, 2009 Roberta rated it really liked it
Scott
Sep 02, 2012 Scott rated it liked it
Another in the series that explores 'What if?' certain events in the Star Wars films happened differently.

Not as well done as the A New Hope series, but Star Wars fans should enjoy this.

Kelly Lynn Thomas
Dec 15, 2011 Kelly Lynn Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
The Infinities series explores "what if"? And they are AWESOME. It's refreshing and freeing to read something with the main characters that's NOT within continuity.
Youssef-charbel Akl
indeed and there is
a lot of adventure.
Kitty
Jan 07, 2012 Kitty rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot more before my brother read it and told me everything that was wrong with it.
Dannie Stockman
Oct 05, 2013 Dannie Stockman rated it it was amazing
This is really off the hook. A different take on Empire.
Neil Fernie
Neil Fernie rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Maisey
Maisey rated it did not like it
Sep 18, 2016
IrishMike
IrishMike rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
  • Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars: Infinities - Return of the Jedi
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 2: Council of Blood (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #2)
  • Star Wars: Empire, Volume 1: Betrayal
  • Star Wars: Chewbacca
  • Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume 6: On the Fields of Battle
  • Requiem for a Rogue (Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, #5)
  • The Sith War (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #6)
  • Star Wars: Dark Times, Volume One: Path to Nowhere
  • Tales of the Jedi: The Collection (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #3)
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6