Start by marking “Emotional Intelligence in Couples Therapy: Advances from Neurobiology and the Science of Intimate Relationships” as Want to Read:

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Yet even when they know what would work, partners often find that they are unable to do these things. Why is this?

Provocative new neurological research suggests that old habits die hard for a reason—they may be woven into the fabric of brain states. We are wired for specific kinds of neural activations very early in life and these habitual responses are automatically activ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Intelligence in Couples Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Intelligence in Couples Therapy

Elizabeth
Feb 01, 2014 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone needing marriage counseling
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Telzy
Sarah Ryburn
this is a text for school, but i'd recommend it to all of my married friends and family. while it approaches emotional intelligence from a clinical perspective (chapters 4-13 address PET-C, atkinson's treatment modality for couples' therapy), the introduction and first three chapters are virtually jargon-free and lay-reader friendly and, i think, should be required reading for getting a marriage license.
Krissy
I have benefited tremendously from this book-- personally and as a therapist. Atkinson's explanation of brain function and how that affects the people we become makes a lot of sense. I have recommended this book to friends who have no interest in therapy and have heard great reviews from them as well!
Stanley Hall
I read this for one of my classes and it is revolutionary. I read it carefully and have benefited greatly.
Eric Blommel
Eric Blommel marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kailin
Kailin is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
Frank Spencer
Frank Spencer marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Chevonda
Chevonda marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Jenae
Jenae marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Lisa Unger
Lisa Unger marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Christel
Christel marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
Nikita
Nikita marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Suzanne Burger
Suzanne Burger marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Siphiwe Mazwi
Siphiwe Mazwi marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Jay Roberson
Jay Roberson marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Ela
Ela marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2012
Kristie Evans
Kristie Evans marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2012
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012