Start by marking “Last Chapter and Worse” as Want to Read:
Last Chapter and Worse

Last Chapter and Worse

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,128 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
By the cartoonist responsible for the Far Side, this is a collection of cartoons revealing the author's odd and dark sense of humour.
107 pages
Published November 7th 1996 by Time Warner Paperbacks (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Last Chapter and Worse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chapter and Worse

Mike (the Paladin)
I have probably read every Larson book and cartoon out there. I own all the Far Side Gallery books, and the Prehistory of the Far side so when the Last Chapter and Worse came out I behaved predictably.

On the bright side, still hilarious. I miss Larson's (twisted) sense of humor and can still read these over and over, though I'm getting to the point where I may need to put them away for a while...a fairly long while as I am starting to memorize them....oh well.

Enjoy (and try not to come down with
Michael Porter
Nov 11, 2014 Michael Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend loaned me this book, and I have always enjoyed Far Side. I used to read Gary Larson in the paper every day. And when a book came out I would buy it.

So, I knew I was going to enjoy this book. What I did NOT know was that this was Gary’s last book. He is now in Retirement. Now, that was a shock. I just always thought, when I picked up a paper I would find the Far Side.

This book did not disappoint. I love it and laughed all the way through it. I have to return this book to my friend. But,
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

Larson's seeming obsession with nerds, cows, and all things bizarre always led to a w
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last Chapter and Worse is, I am sad to report, the last book of new The Far Side comic strip content that will ever be published, unless Mr. Larson ever comes out of retirement. The good news is that there are thirteen new cartoons that Gary Larson drew after retirement that have never been published before because they didn't have enough to complete this book. Also, at the end of the book is a retelling of a story that Gary's father told him while drawing a picture when he was eight or nine yea ...more
Becky B
Aug 22, 2016 Becky B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, comics
Far Side comics are hit and miss for me. Some make me roll my eyes, some make me scratch my head, some bring out a guffaw, and some have me laughing so hard tears form. This was the typical mixed bag. I loved some, I could do without others. The last 13 cartoons are new for this book and never appeared before. The very last one is a series of illustrations the author's father shared with him as a boy that shed a bit of light on how Gary Larson turned out the way he did.

Notes on content: That la
Minnna
Aug 03, 2014 Minnna rated it really liked it
Tuttuun tapaan miellyttävä Far Side -kokoelma. Löytyi divarista ilokseni.
Lafcadio
Jan 14, 2008 Lafcadio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Colin
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Richard
Shelves: foyer, upper-arm, sundays
Square format... interesting...
Cale
Aug 06, 2014 Cale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can see some tailing off of creativity in this last collection of Larson's comics (that there are two comics that reference throwing rocks at wasp nests in this small a selection is an example), but there are also some very good comics here as well. The ending comics are a bit silly, but one or two of the originals created for the book are high quality. This is a good reminder that we should be appreciative when a creator recognizes that they are done and ends gracefully.
Robin
Nov 30, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hadn't read any Far Side cartoons in a long time, but I always enjoyed them. Though I will admit there were a few where I just sat there thinking "I don't get it".
Dee-Ann
Jul 30, 2011 Dee-Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, comic-graphic
I love Gary Larson's comics, though sometimes I just dont get them, which I dont think is due to a bad comic, but mostly due to my limited intellect.

Even so, this is not one of his best compilations, but it is still worthy, and I think my favourite is that of God making or baking earth and he is surrounded by sprinkle cannisters contining 'reptiles', 'trees', 'fish' etc and he has one which he is sprinkling over earth titled 'Jerks' and God's comment is, 'That will make it interesting'.

There is
dirt
Oct 09, 2008 dirt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Me in elementary school
I am still laughing at the facial expression of the Student Carnivore on page 101.

Reading this last collection of Far Side comics was bitter sweet because they will always have a special place in my heart. Calvin & Hobbes and Far Side were all I read during silent reading time from 2nd grade to 5th grade. Seriously, my desk was full of their various collections. I still hold a grudge against the kid that borrowed The PreHistory of The Far Side and never gave it back (Damn you, Eli!).

I am et
Eli Poteet
Meh. My favorite part is the cover.
Ashley
Sep 09, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Love Gary Larson's work!
Robert C.
Feb 23, 2016 Robert C. rated it really liked it
After Mr Larson stopped doing Far Side cartoons in the papers - he did a few more. These are those few more. If you've read other Far Side cartoons, then you will have some idea of what these are like. These are a little less funny than the others. Not much. Just a bit. If you love them you will love these. If you don't then you won't. Erm - that's it. Stop reading now. No - really - stop reading. There is nothing beyond this point that will be of the slightest interest to you. Or me. See yah!
Angel
A bittersweet reading since this collection has the last six months of Far Side's run. However, Larson left at the top of his game with much humor and fun. This is one of the books I reread, along with other Larson books I have, when I need a smile.
Steve
Apr 02, 2015 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, comics
Some of the most imaginative humour out there, if you can handle comics that have some of the flattest punchlines in existence. The humour can be dry, dull, boring, but it is always hilarious. This is my favourite of his collections.
Mark
Oct 14, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, far-side, comics
The "final" instalment of The Far Side, this rounds up those cartoons that didn't quite make it into any of the other collections. A nice way to tie up loose ends and, hey, a Far Side book is always a cause for celebration!
Mary Lou
Oct 03, 2012 Mary Lou rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Far Side strips from the final six months of syndication. Eh. A few smiles, but no guffaws. After 16 years, though (time flies!), it was fun to revisit Larson's characters and off-beat sense of humor again.
Brittany
May 06, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some funny, some not. Kind of a give a little take a little. If you give the effort to understand the joke you take away a smile to brighten up your day.
Ronald
Jun 13, 2011 Ronald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this collection of Far Side Comic Strips just reminds me how much I miss this comic! The Far Side is one of the best comic strips ever.
William
Sep 16, 2010 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, read-in-2010
The end of the Larson era. Still a great collection of comics that show Larson retired at the top of his game.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Typical Far Side cartoons. If you like Gary Larson's work then you'll enjoy this.
Louis
Jan 10, 2009 Louis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only one closest to Larson's brilliance is Calvin & Hobbes...another masterpiece.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gary Larson is really a Genius
John Gentry
Jan 09, 2012 John Gentry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
farside comics are THE BEST EVER!!!!
Fed
Feb 08, 2013 Fed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest!
Lynlee4
May 25, 2009 Lynlee4 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wild-release, 2009
Loved the end!
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Tonya
Tonya is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
  • It's Obvious You Won't Survive by Your Wits Alone
  • Wildly FoxTrot
  • Happy Trails
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...