Start by marking “Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative” as Want to Read:
Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
Preview

Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative (Sequential Art)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,120 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A companion to Comics & Sequential Art, this book takes the principles examined in that title and applies them to the process of graphic storytelling. Eisner shows comic artists, filmmakers and graphic designers how to craft stories in a visual medium. They'll also learn why mastering the basics of storytelling is far more important than the hollow flash and dazzle see ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Poorhouse Press (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloudThe Ten-Cent Plague by David HajduMen of Tomorrow by Gerard JonesMaking Comics by Scott McCloudKirby by Mark Evanier
books about comics
24th out of 110 books — 61 voters
Making Comics by Scott McCloudUnderstanding Comics by Scott McCloudDrawing Words and Writing Pictures by Jessica AbelMastering Comics by Jessica AbelWriting for Comics, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore
How to Make Comics
8th out of 36 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Nelson Zagalo
If you want an introduction about storytelling, or if you're looking for inspiration for visual storytelling, this is the book to pick. Brilliantly written and artistically inspiring for anyone trying to model, design or create new stories.
Dominick
Disappointing. Eisner's reputation as a master cartoonist does not translate well to telling others how to do it--and furthermore, his examples from his own work of how to do it don't exactly work as ringing endorsements of his argument. This book is profusely illustrated (mostly with Eisner's own work, though some classic work by other hands appears too) to demonstrate his generally superficial and underdeveloped comments on various aspects of graphic storytelling. There are insights here, sure ...more
G (galen)
Will Eisner, a master of comic art, on what makes for successful visual storytelling.

Eisner discusses the history of using visual narrative as a art/literature form and his concerned with changing the perception that comics are for 'people of low literacy and limited intellectual accomplishment.'

Most of the techniques and tips Eisner provides lend themselves more for the adventure and joke genre but I was really fascinated by the examples he provided of early woodblock print novels being publis
Ted Henkle
"Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative" is Book #2 in Will Eisner's how-to series on the principles of creating comics.

I liked this book as much as Book #1, "Comics and Sequential Art." Probably more so, because this one focused more on storytelling than art. I think the reason why this book had better appeal for me is because I'm more of a writer than an artist.

While the focus of "Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative" was in writing, its just as lavishly illustrated as the previous boo
Gianni
A little bit of an unusual comic book, as this is an educational/instructional book written by the great Will Eisner to reveal how to construct a story and to illustrate the basics for crafting a visual narrative. A precious resource for comic artists and film makers at large, I found this book extremely informative and entertaining at the same time. The use of drawing and the technique of showing to explain is definitely working at an advantage for the reader. Highly recommended if youre into c ...more
Parka
Will Eisner Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is one of the three instructional books written by Will Eisner. The other two are Comics and Sequential Art and Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative .

Telling a good story is an incredibly difficult. In this book, Will Eisner shares with readers some of things to be aware of when tackling storytelling using comics.

He talks about techniques to use to help build a more convincing story. This would include comic tools like lettering, building momentum
Michelle
It's a bit dated, but it's a great introduction to the storytelling involved in graphic novels and other forms of visual narrative. The examples are helpful and I love the way the text is interspersed with an illustrated story using cavemen to discuss storytelling. I found myself think over the things Eisner said about storytelling and how the mind views comic, print, and film.

A must buy for me.
Samuel Snoek-Brown
Will Eisner was a genius. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer some of his proteges both for their written work and their work on how to write--Scott McCloud is, so far, still my top guy--but saying I prefer McCloud to Eisner is like saying I prefer Aristotle to Plato: Eisner is The Source of all modern graphic-narrative theory, and having read this, I see why. Better yet, he is so universal in his approach that he offers some fascinating new ideas for thinking about the craft of writing even ...more
Nancy Moffett
i enjoyed reading this book which used comics I remember from my childhood as illustrations. Will Eisner genuinely appreciates and understands graphic artistry and gave me insight into how the graphic novel has grown as a genre. Glad I read it, although it seems a bit dated. The history was interesting.
Scott
Will Eisner, for whom the industry's "Eisner Awards" are named, imparts his wisdom on how "comics" work as a cross-medium of words and art to educate and entertain.

Providing great examples of his main points through his own and others' work, this book really hammers home the key points of storytelling. The editors of this edition did a great job cleaning up and presenting the examples making it a quick and easy-to-digest read.

I felt the last fifth of the book seemed padded, but it was definitely
Ana

Podem ler a opinião completa no Floresta de Livros.

A great reference book for people who write or want to become comic writers. Will Eisner relies on real comic examples to accompany his few words.
In terms of art expamples and references, this book is amazing, but in terms of actually teaching something deeper (not just the superficial stuff we see a lot of), it lacks a bit.
Still, it's an amzing book which I recommend to anyone who has a liking for writing comic.
Chris Jones
A lot of the content in Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative is already handled in the series' previous volume, Comics and Sequential Art. There are a few nuggets of wisdom, but they're buried under dozens of comic pages, presented to the reader all at once with no commentary. One of the great things about the first volume was that Eisner would make his points with a few pages of text at a time, then provide examples through a few pages of comics that were labelled and commented on to illus ...more
Bob Hartley
I've never really rated Eisner, but I thought I might get some good tips out of this since he's taught classes about it. It didn't really tell me much I didn't know, though; then again I don't know what I was expecting, to be fair. I'll probably look at it again when I come to write a graphic novel after I graduate. Also, there's a lot of spelling mistakes. That doesn't affect my opinion of the book, but I suppose it helps the "comics are for the less legible of us" argument. EEEEIIISNERRRR!
Paul Shillinger
I bought a copy of Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative because Scott McCloud praised Eisner's work so highly in Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. I was disappointed that, in this book at least, Eisner didn't seem to have much to say on the subject that I hadn't already read elsewhere.
Daniela
Agradezco inmensamente a Will Eisner por haber creado este libro.

La verdad, para alguien como yo que sólo contaba con teorías e hipótesis sobre lo que es la narrativa visual y "graphic storytelling" este libro me ayudó no sólo a darme cuenta de que tenía una idea, sino también a expandir mis conocimientos.

Simplemente amo el libro, y sus ejemplos me fueron de mucha ayuda :)
Kevin Powe
Likely a great book for the right audience. Some interesting history of the art form, and some great examples to bring home certain points, but I was hoping for more on the visual composition of individual frames, rather than a broader view of structuring a story. I suspect the fault here lies with me, not the book itself.
Jesse
A good review of aspects of story-telling in general, but specifically as conducted in the medium of comics. Lengthy examples illustrate each point. This is not hard-core literary theory, but consists of well thought out generalities by a practitioner of the art.
Sheri
Great introduction to graphic storytelling. I like that he covers basics of plot and structure as well as the graphic aspects. It would be good as intro to graphic storytelling or for basics of narration in literature study.
Bert
Interesting read. Not really in-depth but well written with lots of examples en often even the information is written with drawings. Get's you thinking on which stories you want to tell and the different ways of telling them.
Cherish
A brilliant read! I was very surprised of how I was able to finish reading quite quickly than usual. It's a must book to have if you ever wanted to have a grasp on Graphic storytelling. I really enjoyed it.
Deborah Biancotti
Not as informative as I was hoping, but with plenty of examples of different styles and means. Surely somebody's written an *advanced* book on writing for the graphic medium?
Emily
It was a bit less detailed than I would have liked. But it was an interesting exploration between the link of art and text and narrative flow in comic books.
James Eckman
It's a good book, but in some ways a bit dated. Would be comic writers should read this at least once.
Stacy H.
Always a treasure to dive into "old-school" comics and Will Eisner's shadowy work in particular.
Evad
I'm about halfway through and am finding so much useful information in this book.
Ian
Broad to the point of incoherence.
Busse Library
PN 6710 .E57 1996 ...more
Cainmark
Jan 15, 2013 Cainmark added it
Shelves: comic
Strips,
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Heleri
Heleri marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Author Websites 1 2 Jan 17, 2014 07:47AM
  • Drawing Words and Writing Pictures
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • How To Make Webcomics
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
  • Writing for Comics, Vol. 1
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • Facial Expressions: A Visual Reference for Artists
  • Reading Comics
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • Krazy Kat: The Comic Art of George Herriman
  • Comic Art Propaganda: A Graphic History
  • Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation
  • Successful Drawing
  • Cartooning the Head and Figure
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...

Sequential Art (3 books)
  • Comics and Sequential Art
  • Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative: Principles and Practices from the Legendary Cartoonist
A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories Comics and Sequential Art The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion