Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative

Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  953 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A companion to Comics & Sequential Art, this book takes the principles examined in that title and applies them to the process of graphic storytelling. Eisner shows comic artists, filmmakers and graphic designers how to craft stories in a visual medium. They'll also learn why mastering the basics of storytelling is far more important than the hollow flash and dazzle see...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Poorhouse Press (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloudThe Ten-Cent Plague by David HajduMen of Tomorrow by Gerard JonesMaking Comics by Scott McCloudKirby by Mark Evanier
books about comics
23rd out of 110 books — 56 voters
Understanding Comics by Scott McCloudMaking Comics by Scott McCloudMastering Comics by Jessica AbelDrawing Words and Writing Pictures by Jessica AbelThe DC Comics Guide to Pencilling Comics by Klaus Janson
How to Make Comics
7th out of 34 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Nelson Zagalo
If you want an introduction about storytelling, or if you're looking for inspiration for visual storytelling, this is the book to pick. Brilliantly written and artistically inspiring for anyone trying to model, design or create new stories.
G (galen)
Will Eisner, a master of comic art, on what makes for successful visual storytelling.

Eisner discusses the history of using visual narrative as a art/literature form and his concerned with changing the perception that comics are for 'people of low literacy and limited intellectual accomplishment.'

Most of the techniques and tips Eisner provides lend themselves more for the adventure and joke genre but I was really fascinated by the examples he provided of early woodblock print novels being publis...more
Dominick
Disappointing. Eisner's reputation as a master cartoonist does not translate well to telling others how to do it--and furthermore, his examples from his own work of how to do it don't exactly work as ringing endorsements of his argument. This book is profusely illustrated (mostly with Eisner's own work, though some classic work by other hands appears too) to demonstrate his generally superficial and underdeveloped comments on various aspects of graphic storytelling. There are insights here, sure...more
Parka
Will Eisner Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This is one of the three instructional books written by Will Eisner. The other two are Comics and Sequential Art and Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative .

Telling a good story is an incredibly difficult. In this book, Will Eisner shares with readers some of things to be aware of when tackling storytelling using comics.

He talks about techniques to use to help build a more convincing story. This would include comic tools like lettering, building momentum,...more
Michelle
It's a bit dated, but it's a great introduction to the storytelling involved in graphic novels and other forms of visual narrative. The examples are helpful and I love the way the text is interspersed with an illustrated story using cavemen to discuss storytelling. I found myself think over the things Eisner said about storytelling and how the mind views comic, print, and film.

A must buy for me.
Samuel Snoek-Brown
Will Eisner was a genius. As a matter of personal taste, I prefer some of his proteges both for their written work and their work on how to write--Scott McCloud is, so far, still my top guy--but saying I prefer McCloud to Eisner is like saying I prefer Aristotle to Plato: Eisner is The Source of all modern graphic-narrative theory, and having read this, I see why. Better yet, he is so universal in his approach that he offers some fascinating new ideas for thinking about the craft of writing even...more
Nancy Moffett
i enjoyed reading this book which used comics I remember from my childhood as illustrations. Will Eisner genuinely appreciates and understands graphic artistry and gave me insight into how the graphic novel has grown as a genre. Glad I read it, although it seems a bit dated. The history was interesting.
Scott
Will Eisner, for whom the industry's "Eisner Awards" are named, imparts his wisdom on how "comics" work as a cross-medium of words and art to educate and entertain.

Providing great examples of his main points through his own and others' work, this book really hammers home the key points of storytelling. The editors of this edition did a great job cleaning up and presenting the examples making it a quick and easy-to-digest read.

I felt the last fifth of the book seemed padded, but it was definitely...more
Ana

Podem ler a opinião completa no Floresta de Livros.

A great reference book for people who write or want to become comic writers. Will Eisner relies on real comic examples to accompany his few words.
In terms of art expamples and references, this book is amazing, but in terms of actually teaching something deeper (not just the superficial stuff we see a lot of), it lacks a bit.
Still, it's an amzing book which I recommend to anyone who has a liking for writing comic.
Bob Hartley
I've never really rated Eisner, but I thought I might get some good tips out of this since he's taught classes about it. It didn't really tell me much I didn't know, though; then again I don't know what I was expecting, to be fair. I'll probably look at it again when I come to write a graphic novel after I graduate. Also, there's a lot of spelling mistakes. That doesn't affect my opinion of the book, but I suppose it helps the "comics are for the less legible of us" argument. EEEEIIISNERRRR!
Paul Shillinger
I bought a copy of Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative because Scott McCloud praised Eisner's work so highly in Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art. I was disappointed that, in this book at least, Eisner didn't seem to have much to say on the subject that I hadn't already read elsewhere.
Daniela
Agradezco inmensamente a Will Eisner por haber creado este libro.

La verdad, para alguien como yo que sólo contaba con teorías e hipótesis sobre lo que es la narrativa visual y "graphic storytelling" este libro me ayudó no sólo a darme cuenta de que tenía una idea, sino también a expandir mis conocimientos.

Simplemente amo el libro, y sus ejemplos me fueron de mucha ayuda :)
Kevin Powe
Likely a great book for the right audience. Some interesting history of the art form, and some great examples to bring home certain points, but I was hoping for more on the visual composition of individual frames, rather than a broader view of structuring a story. I suspect the fault here lies with me, not the book itself.
Jesse
A good review of aspects of story-telling in general, but specifically as conducted in the medium of comics. Lengthy examples illustrate each point. This is not hard-core literary theory, but consists of well thought out generalities by a practitioner of the art.
Sheri
Great introduction to graphic storytelling. I like that he covers basics of plot and structure as well as the graphic aspects. It would be good as intro to graphic storytelling or for basics of narration in literature study.
Bert
Interesting read. Not really in-depth but well written with lots of examples en often even the information is written with drawings. Get's you thinking on which stories you want to tell and the different ways of telling them.
Cherish
A brilliant read! I was very surprised of how I was able to finish reading quite quickly than usual. It's a must book to have if you ever wanted to have a grasp on Graphic storytelling. I really enjoyed it.
Deborah Biancotti
Not as informative as I was hoping, but with plenty of examples of different styles and means. Surely somebody's written an *advanced* book on writing for the graphic medium?
Emily
It was a bit less detailed than I would have liked. But it was an interesting exploration between the link of art and text and narrative flow in comic books.
Stacy H.
Always a treasure to dive into "old-school" comics and Will Eisner's shadowy work in particular.
Evad
I'm about halfway through and am finding so much useful information in this book.
Ian
Broad to the point of incoherence.
Cainmark
Jan 15, 2013 Cainmark added it
Shelves: comic
Strips,
Sinith
Sinith marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Robin P.
Robin P. marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Author Websites 1 2 Jan 17, 2014 07:47AM
  • Drawing Words and Writing Pictures
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels
  • How To Make Webcomics
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean
  • Writing for Comics, Vol. 1
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • Creative Illustration
  • The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics
  • The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
  • Krazy Kat: The Comic Art of George Herriman
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O...more
More about Will Eisner...
A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories Comics and Sequential Art The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion