Start by marking “Impossible Odds (King's Blades, #5)” as Want to Read:
Impossible Odds (King's Blades, #5)

Impossible Odds (King's Blades #5)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Elite warrior swordsmen, they are unequalled in any time or realm . . .

The King's Blades

The King has decreed that new Blades must be sworn into the service of the Grand Duke Rubin, deposed by a foul usurper and currently on the run. But none of the rough youths being readied at Ironhall possess the seasoning to survive what better, more skilled Blades already have not. Sti
Published September 28th 2004 by Harper Voyager (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Impossible Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible Odds

Once Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestionLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneSpare Change by Bette Lee CrosbyVampire Princess Rising by Jami Brumfield
Best Unknown Books
292nd out of 2,016 books — 1,754 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistLegend by David Gemmell
Best Heroic Fantasy
202nd out of 518 books — 796 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
Nov 28, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: hero-pov, fantasy
If I could rate this a 3.5 I would. The reasoning is simple, throughout the first half of the novel I was thoroughly intrigued, wondering how these poor young men (which gets browbeated into us every chapter, just in case we forgot) culd prevail in returning the Duchess to her son, and possibly husband.

I was grand all the way through my reading, into almost the last 15-20% of the book. Roughly right around (major spoiler!) when Ranter comes back as one of the undead shadowmen. What a ridiculous
Sean Randall
Feb 04, 2010 Sean Randall rated it it was amazing
So I asked for a look into hither too shadowy corners of this most magnificently crafted of universes, did I? yes, I most certainly did, see my thoughts on Paragon Lost. that told the story of Sir Beaumont and Tasha, the then future Queen of Chivial.

This work introduces us to the Duchy of Krupina, opening the doors for more political skullduggery. The Krupinese, or some of them at least, seem to have embraced conjuration as Chivial embraces Blades -- and battle is joined.

not war, that's far too
Benjamin Thomas
Impossible Odds by Dave Duncan is the 5th book in his "King's Blades" series. I've enjoyed all of these books pretty well but some a little more than others. This one was slightly less enjoyable than the last one, Paragon Lost, which I regard as the best of the batch so far and with only one more to read.

This novel was a little different than previous books in the series and I appreciate when authors do this. I'm sure authors don't want a series to grow stale any more than readers do. This time,
Bruce
Mar 01, 2015 Bruce rated it really liked it
A good addition to the Kings Blades series. Not part of the main line, so stands completely on its own. Nice action/mystery tale, half told in the past, and half in the present as a couple of blades, a former white sister, and a failed blade candidate escort an exiled grand duke back to his kingdom. Duncan continues his legacy of unexpected twists throughout, making this a compelling read.
Aditya /
May 08, 2015 Aditya / rated it really liked it
This was one of the better books in the series, though I did not like the ending. the beginning was also a bit rough
Johnny Mayall
Another good Blades book, but not as good as the first two. The 'whodunit' recaps are sometimes a bit stiff, but still worth reading.
Katie
Dec 14, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Had a nice little twist at the end.
I think the problem w/ Duncan's Blade books is that he readily kills characters off. You have to give him kudos for...you know...allowing people to actually die when they live dangerous lives, but this means that you aren't too likely to get attached to anyone, which means you don't get as emotionally invested in the characters. Stuff happens, and it's interesting, but I don't really *care* too much about anyone in the story.
Shari  Mulluane
Dec 02, 2008 Shari Mulluane rated it really liked it
This is another fun read. Romance, intrigue, mystery, and drama fill the pages and keep you riveted for hours. Nobody is exactly who they appear to be and just when you think you know who is plotting what; you discover that you are wrong. I loved every minute of it.

Full Review Here:

Dragons, Heroes and Wizards
Lauri
Feb 08, 2015 Lauri rated it really liked it
Kuninga Mõõkade kuuesalisest tsüklist ilmselgelt kõige nõrgem osa. Kuigi ega siin sel tegelikult otseselt midagi viga pole - Duncani nõrk tase jääb paljude autorite jaoks kättesaadamatuks tasemeks lõpuni. Aga kuidagi ei haaranud siin see saksapäraste nimedega tegelastega madin ühe pisikese vürstiriigi trooni nimel. Lõpp kiskus ka kuidagi eriti imalmagusaks. Huviga loetav loomulikult sellest hoolimata.
Katherine
Feb 14, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy, adventure, swashbuckling. Another in the "King's Blades" universe. Exciting and fast-paced, but less polished than others in the series, with a plot that's just a little too convenient. Young swordsmen overcome obstacles ranging from undead fighters to treachery on all sides, in their attempt to restore a Duchess to her rightful place.
Elizabeth Brooks
Dec 09, 2009 Elizabeth Brooks rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This is the book currently in my gym bag. Which means that it will take me probably 2-3 weeks to read it.

If it wasn't for Jaguar Knights, this would probably be my least favorite King's Blades book. Note that doesn't stop me from re-reading it when I'm plowing my way through the entire series.
Ane
May 07, 2011 Ane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
My 3rd favorite of the Blades series!! This one was a total page turner! Hooks, twists, turns and lots of unseen deception! I loved it!! TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT. . .but you would want to read the first 4 books to enjoy the world of the Blades even more and the off-handed references made to the other books :)
Janet
Jul 05, 2008 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Duncan is wandering the globe with this series. Paragon Lost took us to his version of Russia; in Impossible Odds we're off to a tiny Germanic country. This is the weakest of the series so far, with an improbable ending, but was still a lot of fun. Lots of swash, lots of buckle.
Aneel
Feb 09, 2010 Aneel rated it liked it
Pretty good, but not great Blade adventure. Interesting whodunnit elements. Less compelling plot than usual. Duncan's been introducing more and more magic elements in these books that are making the world harder to believe.
Kate
Nov 16, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
I didn't finish this. As I've said before, I'm getting a bit tired of the misogynistic societies in the King's Blades books, and how most of the female characters are powerless and often victims.
Lee Wilson
Jul 12, 2011 Lee Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, fantasy
As always, Duncan writes a fun, likeable story that somehow fails to transcend light entertainment. enjoyable, but not truly satisfying.
Steve Markham
Jul 20, 2012 Steve Markham rated it really liked it
Oh the joy of a good book!

Well worth the read with a twisting story and characters only Duncan could come up with and carry through.
Cindy
May 30, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
In some ways an even more satisfying adventure, rather a la Sabatini, with twists galore. Relatively light on characterization.
May 29, 2009 Laura added it
Impossible Odds: A Chronicle of the King's Blades (Tale of the King's Blades) by Dave Duncan (2004)
jane
Jul 12, 2009 jane rated it it was ok
Is supposed to be a stand alone, but would be confusing if you don't know his blade series.
Joe
Jul 17, 2011 Joe rated it liked it
Duncan has a way with Swords...
Another good book from this ..world/universe.
Jenne
Mar 13, 2007 Jenne rated it really liked it
I can never remember which Dave Duncan novel is which, but I love all of them.
Jon Kerr
Mar 24, 2011 Jon Kerr rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. I need to seek out some more of Duncan's work...
Lis
Dec 22, 2008 Lis rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As always, tremendous fun!
Ronald Marcil
Sep 06, 2013 Ronald Marcil rated it liked it
King's Blades #5
Walter
Walter marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Tayler Delaney
Tayler Delaney marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • A Wizard in Mind (Rogue Wizard, #2)
  • Elric in the Dream Realms (Chronicles of the Last Emperor of Melniboné, #5)
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • Nine Layers of Sky
  • The Chick is in the Mail (Chicks in Chainmail, #4)
  • The Glasswrights' Apprentice (Glasswright, #1)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • The Complete Ivory: Gate of Ivory, Two-Bit Heroes, Guilt Edged Ivory
  • Lady Pain (Gil Trilogy, #3)
  • Valley of the Soul (Dubric Bryerly, #3)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Legends 2 (Legends 1, Volume 2of3)
  • The Unlikely Ones (Pigs Don't Fly, #1)
  • Darksong Rising (Spellsong Cycle #3)
  • The Eye of Night
  • The Western Wizard (Renshai Trilogy, #2)

King's Blades (9 books)
  • The Gilded Chain (King's Blades, #1)
  • Lord of the Fire Lands (King's Blades, #2)
  • Sky of Swords (King's Blades, #3)
  • Paragon Lost (King's Blades, #4)
  • The Jaguar Knights (King's Blades, #6)
  • Sir Stalwart (King's Daggers, #1)
  • The Crooked House (King's Daggers, #2)
  • Silvercloak (King's Daggers, #3)