Start by marking “Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead” as Want to Read:
Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead

Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In the myths, legends, and folklore of many peoples, the returning, physical dead play a significant role, whether they are the zombies of Haiti or the draugr of Scandinavia. But what are the origins of an actual bodily return from the grave? Does it come from something deep within our psyche, or is there some truth to it?

In Zombies, Bob Curran explores how some of these
Published September 1st 2008 by New Page Books

To ask other readers questions about Zombies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
214th out of 1,375 books — 3,898 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachDark Mission by Richard C. HoaglandCommunion by Whitley StrieberBeyond the Body Farm by William M. BassThe Orphan Conspiracies by James Morcan
Coast to Coast Am
89th out of 99 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Icy Sedgwick
Apr 26, 2011 Icy Sedgwick rated it liked it
I'll warn you in advance the sub-title of the book is something of a misnomer. A "field guide to the walking dead" would imply some sort of encyclopedia of zombies, whereas the book is more of a discussion of differing forms of the walking dead throughout history. Medieval folklore sits alongside Far Eastern mythology, while a whole section is devoted to Biblical examples of the dead rising from their graves. In addition, Curran seems less concerned with zombies and more interested in the differ ...more
Doug Lewis
Jul 17, 2009 Doug Lewis rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I gave this book one star because everything about the title is a misnomer.

There is very little "zombie" about this book, and even less "field guide"

While it is somewhat well researched - it is simply that. A research paper. Basically, a really long essay about the history of folklore surrounding resurrection myths. NOT zombies as we know them. In fact, the "zombies" we all know and love are summed up in about a page and a half that mentions george romero and his movies ... and kind of messes th
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 05, 2010 Patrick D'Orazio rated it it was amazing
Dr. Bob Curran presents an eminently readable, indepth, and fascinating tome on the history of the walking dead. The title of this book is "Zombies" but to limit it to that specific term and its origins also limits the impact of this comprehensive history of many cultures perception of the corporeal forms of the undead that have come back for varied reasons, both fair and foul, since nearly the dawn of time.
This book does explore the origin of the classic Haiti zombie but goes much deeper than
Rick
Oct 15, 2008 Rick rated it it was ok
Bob Curran gives you a crash-course in mythology related to the dead returning from the grave, either as the undead or back to life -- including a certain Mr. Christ. And he gives an overview of ye olde graverobbers, from the days when surgery students had to buy corpses from disreputable cads. All of this is supposed to inform and underlie the modern zombie archtype -- the flesh-eating corpse returned from the grave.

And yet, it doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, the book was interesting enough and I e
Rawannie
If you can put aside the title of the book, which is a complete misnomer, and all of the many editorial issues, which are hugely annoying, this becomes a great collection of myth-legend-folklore regarding the reanimated dead. Curran obviously did some research into many different regional beliefs. Daniels is a great artist but his stylised drawings seem slightly out of place here.
Melissa
Feb 07, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: zombies
For starters, I think it's a misleading title. For a "field guide" I expected one of those humorous writings on how to fight off zombies and win the apocalypse. However, this turned out to be simply a world history on how zombie stories have come about. While this was not what I was expecting, it was fascinating and I learned a lot! But, I only gave it three stars because of the writing and grammar (the author apparently has never heard of the word "whom" and there were other typos as well), and ...more
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 Miss Kelly rated it it was ok
Just paged through this book to help with my Teen Zombie Program. Not so great
THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE was helpful though[Nick F. (teen) recommend that book]
Ross Bussell
Dec 23, 2008 Ross Bussell rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, zombies
I didn't really research this book before I picked it up from the local public library. I just added it to my list because it said "Zombies" in the title, and started reading.

At first, it was somewhat interesting, hearing about the actual historical folklore surrounding zombie stories. But then this book basically repeated the same information over and over again.

It read very much like a poorly written textbook about zombie folklore, which is actually what it was. I can't honestly say I enjoyed
Jenny B.
Dec 10, 2012 Jenny B. rated it it was amazing
I found this book very interesting. The author's thorough research in diverse cultural beliefs in the dead rising (from various voodoo practices to the Baltic strigoi) was magnificent. Some of the accounts including actual historical individuals were very intriguing. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in history, cultural superstitions, and indeed, the walking dead.
Josh
Sep 25, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Good book. Once again this author is more of a gateway into folk lore, giving an average depth look into the zombie folklore from around the world. However, some of the things in this book are indeed incredable and it was alot of fun reading it.
Once again the art was also amazing!

The publishing company isnt that great though. There were something like fifty typeos.
Michael Hermann
Jul 21, 2015 Michael Hermann rated it liked it
Good little read on how the myth of the zombie or walking dead came about. Very interesting to read about the beginnings of the belief in the walking dead and how it changed over time and in different cultures. If you are interested in zombies at all, I would recommend this book.
Adam
Feb 12, 2010 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I only read some of it, and it was very informative, but some of the religous stuff I didnt agree with the author.
Nessa Stubblefield
Feb 04, 2011 Nessa Stubblefield rated it did not like it
It had a few interesting facts, but mostly, it was a bunch of common since things for us zombie fans.
Maxine
Mar 30, 2013 Maxine rated it it was amazing
A little gem of a book, interesting and unnerving in places. Answered a lot of questions for me.
Danielle Barclay
Jul 06, 2010 Danielle Barclay rated it really liked it
Great reference book with interesting illustrations!
Aracely gonzalez
Feb 02, 2016 Aracely gonzalez rated it it was amazing
good and awesome book
Kyaw Zin Thant
quite nice !!!
Mary Trevino
Mary Trevino marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Kayla Furnia
Kayla Furnia marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
William Backhoff
William Backhoff marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Ben  Shepard
Ben Shepard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Hidden Projection
Hidden Projection is currently reading it
Jun 07, 2016
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Melissa Luciano
Melissa Luciano marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Sheron Angela Schramm
Sheron Angela Schramm marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Megg
Megg marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Robert Martinez
Robert Martinez marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly
  • The War of the Worlds: H.G. Wells's Classic Plus Blood, Guts and Zombies
  • The Zombie Combat Manual: A Guide to Fighting the Living Dead
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...