Start by marking “Love and War (Coltrane, #1)” as Want to Read:
Love and War (Coltrane, #1)

Love and War (Coltrane #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Nathan Collins, the Rebel, who dreamed of making Katherine his wife, but would never accept her craving for a life of her own.

Travis Coltrane, the Yankee, who could make her wild with fury one moment, and delirious with passion the next.

And Katherine Wright was wrenched from her home, ravished at will, abducted again and again...but the real battle was raging where no one
Published May 26th 1978 by Avon Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Love and War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and War

The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen E. WoodiwissSweet Savage Love by Rosemary RogersThe Flame and the Flower by Kathleen E. WoodiwissStormfire by Christine MonsonFires of Winter by Johanna Lindsey
The Real Bodice Rippers
39th out of 91 books — 164 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia QuinnIt Happened One Autumn by Lisa KleypasMarried By Morning by Lisa KleypasLord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Love/Hate Relationships
226th out of 395 books — 597 voters

More lists with this book...

Karla
Ever since reading Sweet Savage Love this past April, I've often wondered if I'll ever encounter a non-Rosemary Rogers bodice ripper that has the same formula of crazy action, constantly clashing hero and heroine, vivid backdrops, and the seasonings and spices of traitorous bodies, endless abductions, rapes, murders, bloodshed, and - most important of all - compulsive readability.

My friends, I think I found it.

Kitty Wright is a heroine straight out of Rosemary Rogers' playbook. She's a girl who
Lynn
I absolutely loved this book. I cannot say enough about it. Ii agree with Karla that this rates right up there with Sweet Savage Love, which is my all time favorite book. SSL had it all and so did Love and War. It was a tough read as you were reading about the Civil War where so many young man bravely went into battle and lost their lives or were maimed and disfigured. Kitty was living her hell on earth with the carnage of war, being kidnapped numerous times and the rape. This was a grand book, ...more
Samantha
Jan 05, 2013 Samantha rated it did not like it
Im not usually one to write reviews but i was so disappointed. Usually i love a book with rich history- it creates a scene that sucks you in, makes you feel apart of the book, but as i was reading what was supposed to be a "romance" i was expecting at least some type of.. well.. romance (call me crazy right?) instead i got a lot of history. and i mean a LOT of history. i cant really consider this to be a romance, the story went on forever, mostly describing the civil war and in wayyy to much det ...more
Nadine Jones
Sep 26, 2012 Nadine Jones rated it it was amazing
This was the first historical romance I ever read. Oddly enough, I found it in a pile of paperbacks in the back of my English classroom in 7th or 8th grade. I think the teacher's name was Mr Norton. As an adult looking back, the selection of books he had was oddly uneven and sometimes (like this one) kinda inappropriate for 12 year olds! But at the time, I just loved it.

Kitty's father is a doctor, so when war breaks out, Kitty also works as a field surgeon for the south. She's hot as all hell,
Mary Mcmillin
Sep 29, 2012 Mary Mcmillin rated it really liked it
I am a history buff and can be very critical of those who right historical romances. What I liked about Love and War was the authors careful consideration to history and facts. I have done research on some of the battles that she listed in the book... and this being a free book from Amazon was a great way to introduce me to the author. You are swept up in the constant troubles of Kitty Wright... who was the southern belle who wasn't like all the other girls... and the fact that she has love tria ...more
Joni
Mar 20, 2014 Joni rated it really liked it
Another classic romance I read years ago when I was a teenager! I love Civil War era novels and I still remember this story. It certainly fits into the stereotypical bodice-ripper category but as I recall it was a good story and the characters go through a hellish time before the triumphant ending.
Heidi
Dec 30, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
Read again, after reading many years ago. Very slow in the beginning, and gets a little repetitious at times. Good storyline
Heidi Francis
Apr 26, 2014 Heidi Francis added it
Shelves: romance
Always love reading the oldies . Read this when , like alot of others while in high school. Great read
Lisa
Dec 23, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J'ai adoré! On est très loin de la romance habituelle qui fait rêver, soupirer d'envie... Ici nous sommes plus dans une histoire, celle de Kitty au moment où la guerre de Sécession commence,où se mêlent scènes de guerre, de mutilations, de viols. Cette histoire ravira les lectrices qui aiment les vrais contextes historiques, avec des personnages forts mais où l'amour n'est pas forcément synonyme de rêve. Celles qui aiment les histoires romantiques à souhaits, passez votre chemin...
Lyn Taylor
Feb 19, 2013 Lyn Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This book was okay. Based on the realities of the Civil War and all it's ugliness I was absolutely exhausted by the time I had finished reading. The thought of having to go through it all again with a 2nd book in the series ... well I just couldn't bring myself to download it. I guess I was more in the mood for a HEA.
Cassandra Lutheran
Jul 21, 2013 Cassandra Lutheran rated it really liked it
This was a very well written book taking you through the ups and downs of the civil war. While I really enjoyed the love story aspect, the end was a little abrupt and slightly disappointing for me (which is why I gave it a 4 instead of a 5). Overall a great read if you enjoy civil war romance novels!
Tina
Nov 19, 2011 Tina rated it it was ok
Shelves: rapey
If you adored Sweet Savage Love by Rosemary Rogers or her way of telling a story, you will like this book. Personally speaking, this book and Rosemary Rogers are just too un-PC even for my taste in bodice rippers.
Hanna B
Feb 20, 2013 Hanna B rated it liked it
Hated the ending. But it is a good buildup to the next book. But the rest of the book was good.
Hanna B
Jan 31, 2013 Hanna B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. The story seemed to run in circles.
Ikram Sai
Sep 07, 2014 Ikram Sai rated it it was amazing
i love it
Dsrtedlt
Dsrtedlt marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Elisabeth Svedberg
Elisabeth Svedberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Tricia Lenhart
Tricia Lenhart rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
tina kemme
tina kemme marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Nguyễn Dũng
Nguyễn Dũng rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
marie gallant
marie gallant rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
daniel butkus
daniel butkus rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
A Thompson
A Thompson rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
patty blackwelder
patty blackwelder marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Alona
Alona rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Terri J Miller
Terri J Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Bodice Ripper Rea...: Buddy Read - Love and War by Patricia Hagan 69 53 Sep 28, 2011 05:07AM
  • Dark Fires (Morgan-Challenger, #2)
  • Love's Wild Desire
  • The Black Swan
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Savage Surrender
  • The Flesh and the Devil
  • This Other Eden (Eden, #1)
  • Forever My Love
  • Love Me, Marietta
  • Valentina
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • While Passion Sleeps (Louisiana #8)
  • Lakota Surrender
  • Bound by the Heart
  • Fires of Destiny
  • Captured
  • Bold Breathless Love
  • The Rain Maiden
Aka Patricia Hagan Howell.
Aka Maggie James

Pat is the published author of over forty books of romantic fiction. Several of her titles have appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list. One of her books, "Ocean of Dreams", is based on her own shipboard romance when she met her former husband, a Norwegian engineer.

She is also a former Radio/TV Motorsports Journalist, covering NASCAR Grand National
More about Patricia Hagan...

Coltrane (8 books)
  • The Raging Hearts (Coltrane, #2)
  • Love and Glory (Coltrane, #3)
  • Love and Fury (Coltrane, #4)
  • Love and Splendor (Coltrane, #5)
  • Love and Dreams (Coltrane, #6)
  • Love and Honor (Coltrane, #7)
  • Love and Triumph (Coltrane, #8)