Start by marking “Julius Caesar” as Want to Read:
Julius Caesar
Read Book* *Different edition

Julius Caesar

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  112,796 ratings  ·  2,204 reviews

The Boynton/Cook editions of four of Shakespeare's most popular plays have been reissued with attractive new cover designs and printed on more opaque, easy-to-read paper. This series is specifically designed for high school classes.

Students will be able to see each play as a whole. In their introduction to each of the plays, editors Mack and Boynton suggest ways of appro
Published January 1st 1983 by Swan Books (CA) (first published 1599)

To ask other readers questions about Julius Caesar, please sign up.

Madeline
Julius Caesar, abridged:

BRUTUS: I love Caesar!

CASSIUS: He's a power-hungry bastard. I think we should kill him.

BRUTUS: Dude, we totally should.

DECIUS: Happy Ides of March, Caesar. Ready to go to the Senate?

CAESAR: I dunno. My wife just had a dream about you and the rest of the senators washing their hands in my blood, so I think I'm going to call in sick today.

DECIUS: Okay, I'll just tell the guys that you're a pussy who lets his wife tell him what to do. They'll understand.

CAESAR: I'll get
Bill  Kerwin

In the course of teaching high school sophomores for thirty years, I have read Julius Caesar more than thirty times, and I never grow tired of its richness of detail or the complexity of its characters. Almost every year, I end up asking myself the same simple question--"Whom do I like better? Cassius or Brutus?"--and almost every year my answer is different from what it was the year before.

On one hand, we have Cassius, the selfish, manipulative conspirator who, after the assassination, shows h
Kalliope
What is this play about? Is it about Julius Caesar, as the title says? Well, he is assassinated half way through the play and disappears (Act 3, scene 2). Granted, his ghost reappears later on, but it is not the ghost of the caliber of Mozart’s (and Lorenzo da Ponte’s) commanding Commendatore. JC’s ghost exists only in Brutus mind as his conscience. For even if Brutus thinks that it is the ghost’s revenge to “turn our swords toward our own stomachs”, the only time the ghost speaks is to say “I a ...more
Manny
I once performed the whole of Mark Anthony's "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech on the steps outside the Great Hall in Trinity College, Cambridge, wearing a bedspread as a toga and with a bucket chained over my head. It's a long story. I think I still know the speech by heart.

J.
This tale in a nutshell:

matt

Re-reading it for a class I'm taking, I was surprised to see that it's not the hoary, near-cliched, armchair statesman-like story I'd snored through in high school.

It's actually a taut, crackling, suspenseful political thriller which is more compelling, dire, complex, and profound than I'd originally noticed.

It's about revolution, revolutionaries, and the price one pays for irrigating the tree of liberty with the blood of tyrants. You get the restless, brittle, inferiority complex of Cassius, h
Lyn
“Et tu, Brute?”

These lines have haunted audiences and readers for centuries, since The Bard first presented the play, believed to be in 1599, when Shakespeare would have been 35. Bringing to life scenes from Roman history, this tragedy, more than presenting a biography of the leader, instead forms a study in loyalty, honor, patriotism and friendship.

“Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft in
Ibrahim Saad
- "

فما بال قيصر يتجبر علينا إذن ؟ يا للمسكين ! إني موقن أنه ما كان ليصير ذئباً لولا أنه لا يرى الرومانيين إلا نعاجاً ، وما كان ليغدو ضرغاماً لو لم يكن الرومانيون وعولاً ..
إن الذين يتعجلون إضرام النار إنما يبدءونها بضعيف القش ، فأية حثالة غدت روما .. حين تتيح لعامة الشعب أن يعمل لتأجيج وتمجيد شئ تافه كقيصر ؟
أي شئ في قيصر ذاك ؟ لماذا ينبغي لذلك الإسم أن يكون أجرى على الألسنه من اسمك !؟ "

لم أكن أتوقع تماماً أن تكون بداية رحلتي في عالم شكسبير بهذه القوة ، لم أكن اتوقع هذا اطلاقاً .. غالباً ما يك
Greg
My tenth grade teacher killed this play, not Caesar style though, that would be the treatment my eleventh grade English teacher did in poor Macbeth, with lots and lots of daggers and bloodshed. I don't have a good literary reference to how Julius Caesar got killed by a teacher.

Supposedly the teacher was fucking at least one guy on the football team, and she was showing signs of being knocked-up by the end of the year. So maybe she had other things on her mind. In later years I'd learn that she
David
Apr 05, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friends, Romans, and countrymen

But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man….

I think that reading Shakespeare's plays does not do them justice - they aren't meant to be read, they are meant to be performed, and seen performed. However, you also miss a lot if you aren't already familiar with the context and the Shakespearean language, because of course ol' Will packs a lot into every single line.

So, this is the famous play about the conspirators who assassinated Julius Caesar, fearing his ambition to bec
هدير
شــــكسبير .. لن أقول أنه غني عن التعريف .. لأنني نفسي قبل أن أقرأ له هذه المسرحية ـ كنت أتسائل ، ما سر شهرته و لم أعماله تتوج دائما في قمة الأعمال الأدبية ؟! ..

كان سؤالا عالقا برأسي و لم أبحث عن إجابة له ، كنت أنتظر أن ندرسه في قسم اللغة الإنجليزية لأعرف إجابة له ..
في هذا الفصل الدراسي من عامي الرابع في الكلية ـ حدث ما كنت أرجوه .. درسنا مسرحيته ـ القيصر جوليوس ـ كـ مدخل لعالم شكسبير .. الخلّاق و المدهش .. نعم .. الأن أستطيع أن أقول و بملء الوعي ، أن هذا الرجل مبدع حقيقي فعلا ، و أنه فعلا ..
Ken Moten
"Artemidorus: Caesar, beware of Brutus; take heed of Cassius; come
not near Casca; have an eye to Cinna; trust not Trebonius; mark
well Metellus Cimber; Decius Brutus loves thee not; thou hast
wrong'd Caius Ligarius. There is but one mind in all these men,
and it is bent against Caesar. If thou be'st not immortal, look
about you: security gives way to conspiracy. The mighty gods
defend thee!
"

[May 2014 update below original review]
"I came, I saw, I reviewed."

THE play that made the already legend
Brad
Whenever I read Shakespeare, I always find myself longing to be back in Rome watching the assassination of Caesar. So I do just that.

I read Hamlet for class, and I immediately pick up Caesar. I read one of the plays I've been meaning to get to, and I immediately pick up Caesar. I catch a late night TV showing of Much Ado About Nothing or Othello, and I immediately pick up Ceasar. It feels like home to me.

It contains the elements that make Shakespeare's great plays great (at least to me). Death
Gorfo
Apr 23, 2011 Gorfo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shakespeare Lovers!
I didn't expect to like Julius Caesar. For some reason I expected it to be one of Shakespeare's histories. Nevertheless, it soon became clear to me that I had stumbled upon an utterly enthralling tragedy. After reading Julius Caesar I've come to realize that there is no way on earth that I will ever be able to pick my favorite Shakespeare play! It just isn't possible! How could one man create so much amazing work (of course there is speculation about whether he wrote it all, but I don't care muc ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tragedie Of Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
عنوان: تراژدی قیصر : نمایشنامه در پنج پرده؛ اثر: ویلیام شکسپیر؛ مترجم: فرنگیس شادمان (نمازی)؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، بنگاه ترجمه و نشر کتاب، 1334، در 161 ص، موضوع: نمایشنامه های انگلیسی قرن 16 م
از همین مترجم: تهران، شرکت انتشارات علمی فرهنگی، 1382، در 177 ص؛ شابک: 9789644459733؛
Huda Aweys
Et tu, Brute?
*****
حتى أنت يابروتوس ؟

:))
Ben
He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fiel
Ivana
The first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about this play is the beginning of that famous speech "Friends, Romans, Countrymen!" Yes, Mark Anthony really made quite a speech there! You have to love the fact that the play that is in many ways philosophical can also be dramatic.

This is one of my favourite plays by Shakespeare mainly I think that it describes perfectly that burning ice within that we sometimes call ambition and sometimes lust for power. It was this examination of power, co
Karim Mohamed
حتى أنت يا بروتس
يمكننا أن نعتبر أن قصة يوليوس قيصر من أشهر القصص التي تناولت موضوع الخيانة ، دائماً تجد من يقول "حتى أنت يا بروتس" كناية عن الخيانة .. في يوم من الأيام و يوليوس يمشي بموكبه يصرخ من بعيد واحد من عامة الشعب يحذره من الخيانة ، يغضب يوليوس من كلام الرجل و لكنه بعد تفكير ينسى كل شئ و كأنه لم يحدث و لا يلقي له بال..
يرينا العظيم شكسبير كره حاشية يوليوس له و رغبتهم في قتله ، و بالفعل يقوموا بقتل يوليوس قيصر و تكون أقوى طعنة هي من صديقه بروتس..
ظننت قبل قراءة المسرحية أن النهاية ستكون مقت
Steph
There's nothing like reading Shakespeare on a Wednesday night Man I need a life
Niloo Beygi
برای من این نمایشنامه ی شکسپیر غیر از هر نگاه سیاسی-اجتماعی ای چیزی در ستایش و نکوهش سخنه. به بهترین نحو نشون می ده که چطور با کلمه ها و جمله ها می شه افراد رو وسوسه کرد، برانگیختشون، دیدگاهشون رو عوض کرد و ...
چه مونولوگا و حدیث نفس های دقیق و خوبی داره. به خصوص اون مونولوگ مارک آنتونی که همه چیز رو تغییر می ده و باعث شورش مردم می شه و چقدر زیرکی این شخصیت رو دوست دارم چه توی رفتار و تفکر چه توی انتخاب کلماتش بسته به موقعیت و شرایطش.
چیزی که حس می کنم شاید توی نمایشنامه های شکسپیر تکرار می شه ای
Mitchell
book club choice

This time around I was struck by a few things:

1- How much this play is about the power of rhetoric, especially rhetoric used to persuade. Cassius persuading Brutus, Antony persuading the crowd. Brutus' lack of rhetoric that indicates his guilelessness. Compare his flat-footed speech at the funeral to Antony's brilliant oration. The rhetoric defines the character.

2- This is a play of what happens after giants fall. Octavius/Antony and Cassius/Brutus are sloppy seconds that cannot
Marvin
Note: I dedicate this humorous review to Mr. Grooms, my 10th grade English teacher who not only taught me how to appreciate Shakespeare but introduced me to the writings of John LeCarre, John Hershey, and Shirley Jackson. But he gets minus points for making me read Silas Marner.

I read William Shakespeare's classic play Julius Caesar in high school as required reading, so my review is delivered in the viewpoint of the ancient high school me...

Our high school English teacher made us read Julius Ca
Samyuktha pc
When we study texts we learn to look deeper into a word. Of course, that depends on the teacher and personal interest. Literature studies is one of my favourite hobbies. I always like to see what is behind a word and draw it out.

Julius Caesar tested my abilities. It also unviersally made me understand that everyone is ambiguous in nature. It changed the way I relate to people. Surprisingly, a hard hitting tragedy made me learn to forgive whole heartedly.

This play increased my thinking depth and
Matt
Cassius connives, Antony persuades and Caesar dies. But Brutus is the tragic figure in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. A noble soul led astray because his own self-righteousness blinds him to the world as it is, not as he dreams it to be. His self-appointed role as steward for the Republic gives himself license to betray and murder for the sake of the people. What he doesn’t foresee is that the people don’t want the protection of a noble murderer, they would rather have a despot that appears noble. ...more
Theresa ♫
This is a rant, and I am usually misunderstood by people who understand classic stories (because I don't really understand them). Please respect my opinion as much as I respect yours. :).)

AS OF JANUARY 28th

Okay, I'm usually not the type of person to by judging a book after reading like 5 pages of it, but...

Dude. I'm not expecting much out of this story.

You guys remember the horrific and horrible tale of
ROMEO AND JULIET!
I thought I'd be DONE with Shakespeare after that horrible, horrible tale o
Zack
A very special joint-review of William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, brought to you by Lisa and Zack, who read all five acts aloud to their cat.

Zack's Synopsis: Friends and traitors (but mostly traitors) trade memorable lines as they vie for control of Rome.

Lisa's Synopsis: Interchangeable middle-aged men argue about whose morals are superior, then make similarly ambiguous moral choices.

Zac. First, let me say I am surprised that I made it this far in life having never read Julius Caesar till now
Cemre
3,5'tan 3. Aslında son kısma kadar 4 yıldız vermeyi düşünüyordum; ancak son kısımda ne olduysa oldu, benim için etkisini biraz kaybetti. Belki de son kısım bana biraz Macbeth'i anımsattı ve ondaki başarıyı Julius Caesar'da yakalayamadım, ondan oldu.

Shakespeare'in eserleri kaç yıl önce yazılmış olursa olsun hala verdiği mesajlarla geçerliliğini ve etkisini koruyan eserler. Julius Caesar da bu etkinin iyi bir şekilde görülebildiği oyunlardandı.

Brutus, Caesar'ın en güvendiklerinden olan, aslında b
David Sarkies
Sep 03, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody and everybody
Recommended to David by: My highschool English teacher
Shelves: tragedy
A question of tyranny
3 September 2014

I am surprised that it has taken me this long to actually get around to re-reading this play so as to write a commentary on it considering that it happens to be one of my favourite Shakespearian plays. The copy that I own belonged to my uncle and the notes that have been scribbled into the book indicate that he read it when he was in high school. A part of me is jealous that he actually got to study this play whereas I was stuck with Hamlet. However, as I th
BDCHS Advanced Re...: Julius Cesar 1 3 Nov 12, 2014 11:10AM
  • Electra
  • Eumenides
  • An Enemy of the People
  • She Stoops to Conquer
  • Five Plays: Ivanov / The Seagull / Uncle Vanya / The Three Sisters / The Cherry Orchard
  • Volpone
  • The Knight of the Burning Pestle
  • A Man for All Seasons
  • Anna Christie
  • The Revenger's Tragedy
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...
Romeo and Juliet Hamlet Macbeth A Midsummer Night's Dream Othello

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.” 7131 likes
“Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once.
Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
It seems to me most strange that men should fear;
Seeing that death, a necessary end,
Will come when it will come.”
2935 likes