Start by marking “Prisoner of the Flames” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of the Flames

Prisoner of the Flames

A horribly scarred Scottish laird goes to Paris to seek healing from the great Nostradamus, and instead finds love with a blind flower girl and a French civil war.
Published November 1st 2008 by Leisure Books (first published October 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of the Flames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of the Flames

Mary B.
This book so was not what I was expecting, and I can't say I loved it - however, I couldn't put it down! Like some other reviewers have mentioned, this book feels much more like historical fiction than it does romance. Yes, there is a romance; however it is not the main conflict in the book. Also, the hero is, unequivocally, the main character of this book and the central plot is about how he, a Scottish Laird, gets unintentionally embroiled in the religious and civil strife of the Renaissance p ...more
gina~*
Jun 15, 2011 gina~* rated it liked it
Blah. Too much trouble and not enough romance.
Deborah
May 25, 2008 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who love wonderful historical fictioin
Prisoner of the Flames is one of several remaining books in Dawn Thompson’s legacy, though this is under her Dawn MacTavish name. Dorchester Love Spell publishes her paranormal romances, but they wanted her straight history to go under another name in the Leisure Books line.

This one actually straddles the straight history-paranormal divide because there is a paranormal element in it in the figure of Michael Nostradamus and the role he plays in the plot of the story.

Though she passed away in Fe
Virginia Campbell
An appealing hero and a fascinating historical setting elevate the story line of "Prisoner of the Flames", by Dawn MacTavish. Robert Mack, Laird of Berwickshire, ruled Hume Castle and his Scottish lands with a keen mind and a just heart. Brave in battle, and a seasoned warrior, he was tall and strong. However, one side of his face had been horribly scarred by fire when he was a babe in his cradle. As he grew, the burned skin marred and pulled that side of his face, but the other side was untouch ...more
Sharon
So, we have Scotsman Robert Mack, Laird of Paxton (because of course he has to be some sort of minor nobility) who is terribly scarred by a fire when he is an infant -- but only on one side of his face. He wants to go to France to meet Nostradamus, who he believes can cure him ... despite the scars being more than 25 years old at this point. Of course, he makes it to France ... during the Huguenot Wars, so there is that going on. He manages to befriend the boy king, run afoul of both sides of th ...more
Alta
Jun 03, 2009 Alta rated it really liked it
I've read some of hers that I loved (Bride of Time) and others that I've had to just take back to the library, but still, I took a chance because the story sounded good, I wasn't disappointed. I had a hard time putting the book down the first couple hundred pages,(that's why I gave it four stars) but then got irritated that there was one herculean feat after another, I was ready for the romance!

The story focus was on him, she was a side story, and we really didn't get a lot of insight into her
Stacie
Jan 29, 2014 Stacie rated it it was ok
Robert Mack has scars over one side of his face from being burned when he was an infant. He is traveling to see Nostradamus to see if there is a cure for this face. He comes across a blind girl named Violette who is being assaulted. He helps her out and ends up getting arrested. Violette comes to his aid and gets him free.
Natalya
Feb 23, 2015 Natalya rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, nook
Good intrigue, lots of history, easy flowing language, original characters. I managed half way through when Violet got so unbearably immature, I couldn't stand her anymore.
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Theresa
Theresa rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2012
Kara
Kara rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
Dawn Edwards
Dawn Edwards rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2011
Theresa Geitner
Theresa Geitner rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Anne Raven
Anne Raven rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2008
the late Dawn Thompson
the late Dawn Thompson rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2008
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
D.C. Gannon
D.C. Gannon rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2008
ObsidianCub
ObsidianCub rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2012
Jayme
Jayme rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Holly Clifford
Holly Clifford rated it it was ok
Sep 25, 2012
Lynee
Lynee rated it it was ok
Jul 12, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Lynette Lazaroff-Carson
Lynette Lazaroff-Carson rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Tanya Breakiron
Tanya Breakiron rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Tanya
Tanya rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2016
Tiffany Balay
Tiffany Balay rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Ilana Eisenhart
Ilana Eisenhart rated it liked it
May 31, 2015
Melinda
Melinda rated it did not like it
Feb 12, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • When Love Comes (Night Riders, #5)
  • A Knight's Honor
  • Legacy
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Rumpel
  • The Bride of Time
  • Tapestry
  • The Bride Hunt (Conqueror, #1)
  • Christmas in Time
  • Surrender to the Earl (Brides of Redemption, #2)
  • Lady Deception
  • Imagine
  • Masquerading Mistress
  • Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)
  • A Bed of Spices