Start by marking “Buford the Little Bighorn” as Want to Read:
Buford the Little Bighorn

Buford the Little Bighorn

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Buford's giant horns cause him all sorts of problems and even force him to leave his mountainside home, but eventually they make him a hero on the ski slopes.
Published March 23rd 1983 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 8th 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Buford the Little Bighorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buford the Little Bighorn

Ronyell
“Buford the Little Bighorn” is a great book from the creative mind of Bill Peet and it is about how a little bighorn named Buford tries to cope with his enormous horns while trying to survive the dangers of the forest by himself. “Buford the Little Bighorn” is a great story about accepting yourself that children will love for many years!

Bill Peet has done a fantastic job at both illustrating and writing this story. Bill Peet’s story about how Buford has to struggle with his enormous horns is hea
Tamischall
Loved when he rode his horns...
Peacegal
This is a wonderful little story with a humane message.

Buford is a bighorn ram whose enormous horns cause all sorts of problems for him. Fearing that his horns will eventually trip him up and cause his untimely end, Buford says goodbye to his friends and leaves his craggy mountainside home.

Down in flatlands of the valley, Buford can trot for the first time without fear of falling. He hides out at a cattle ranch for a spell, with the understanding that humans are the sort of creatures who usuall
Robin
Cute story but a bit predictable.
Joe
When hunters appeared in the story, my grandson pointed to what they were carrying and said, "What's that?"
"It's a rifle," I said.
"What's a rifle?" he asked.
"It's a kind of gun. These men are hunters, and they want to kill animals."
"Why?"

Bill Peet was one of the best storyteller/illustrators of the 20th century, and this is one of his better ones. The drawings, as usual, are wonderful. As in so many of his books, he both charms you and brings up issues that might blindside you if you aren't prep
Ayashe
This one of Peets didn't do much for me.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Buford is a Bighorn has a problem. He is horn challenged, they are too big. As a result of trying to out run big bad hunters he falls in with some skiers and all is good. I know Bill Peet is iconic, but I often find the conflict set up in his books feels a bit dated. My son was engaged however by his graphics and liked the story so maybe it is just me.
Dorothy
When my son was little, this was his absolute favorite for many days. At one point, I had the story memorized. Occasionally, I'd change the words slightly, only to be told that "read it right" was what I was supposed to do.
Emily
Another one of my favorite Bill Peet books. This adorably noble little goat is an example to us all. He's selfless and brave. It's nice to have children's books where the hero is someone to be proud of.
Justin Unrau
At the library I work at we had to do a bunch of digging to find this book after a patron was looking for a book about "a skiing mountain goat that used his own horns." It's a pretty cute story.
Amanda
My absolute favorite childhood "picture" books!! If you have kids, I highly recommend this author...I love Bill Peet!
Myles
A sweet, sweet story, there's something about Bill Peet's books that completely win me over.
Marcelaine
This is another really long one, but Kevin and I enjoyed it. Great story, fun ending.
Cyndi
A sweet little book about a perceived weakness that turns out to be a great strength.
Buddy
Joyce
I remember he was feisty & stubborn--Peet could make a character come alive!
McKay
My favorite picture books as a kid.
Abigail
Bill Peet is awesome!
Pam
I love Bill Peet
Tymirrcus
Tymirrcus marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Kelly Zhen
Kelly Zhen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Meagan Wells
Meagan Wells marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • A Story for Bear
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose