Start by marking “Practical Demonkeeping” as Want to Read:
Practical Demonkeeping

Practical Demonkeeping (Pine Cove #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,365 Ratings  ·  1,224 Reviews
In Christopher Moore's ingenious debut novel, we meet one of the most memorably mismatched pairs in the annals of literature. The good-looking one is one-hundred-year-old ex-seminarian and "roads" scholar Travis O'Hearn. The green one is Catch, a demon with a nasty habit of eating most of the people he meets. Behind the fake Tudor façade of Pine Cove, California, Catch see ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by Perennial / William Morrow / HarperCollins (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Practical Demonkeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practical Demonkeeping

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
106th out of 2,391 books — 3,559 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
105th out of 2,348 books — 2,301 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Aug 26, 2007 Erin rated it it was ok
holy crap,
this book. was. bad.

so effing bad there must be a logical explanation for it. the logical explanation is: christopher moore, you used to be a very stinky writer. i'm not sure what happened between "practical demonkeeping" and "a dirty job", but i'm guessing it was nothing short of an earth quaking, baby shaking, holy sweet mother of pearl miracle.

all the raw elements are there. the slightly deranged yet interesting menagerie of characters, the twisting, intercoursed plot lines, a co
Bark's Book Nonsense
Jun 03, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, horror
I'm rereading this on audio because I desperately needed a laugh but even this book isn't doing it. Might it be because I've already heard all of the punchlines and I need more snark? I don't know. It's mildly entertaining but has some dull moments and too many long moments of explanation and I find myself drifting away all too often.

My impressions when I initially read it:
This is a quirky book about a young priest-in-training who unwittingly commands a demon into existence that gives him immort
Josh
Oct 25, 2007 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor-satire
This is the first Moore book that I have read, and I have to say, I am a fan. I've read a lot of Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume, Still Life With Woodpecker) and his style is very similar, but more straightforward I think. And just as funny. I haven't laughed so hard at a book in a long time.
The premise is fairly simple... A young man, Travis, conjurs a demon on accident while cleaning the accolyte candles at a Catholic church. He is stuck with the demon, who does not have to tell him how he can
Wiebke (1book1review)
Jul 11, 2015 Wiebke (1book1review) rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I came to expect from a book by Christopher Moore: fun, somewhat strange and mysterious, not too real but realistic.

In typical Moore style this book takes you on a journey that is filled with unbelievable alternative realities and laughs.

I don't really know what else to say, but just give his writing a go if you like funny and magic books. (Mind you magic books, not books about magic!)
⊱ Irena ⊰
I should stop paying attention to how a book is labelled on Goodreads or elsewhere.

Is it entertaining? Yes, it is. There are parts that will make you laugh out loud. If you laughed when Monty Python white bunny appeared in Monty Python and the Holy Grail then there is something for you here. Unfortunately, scenes like that are pretty rare. Other things got more attention. It is worth reading the book if only for those moments.

What I didn't like the most is the resolution. Not everyone got what
Venkat Satya
May 25, 2014 Venkat Satya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wickedly funny. That's the term I'm searching for. This book with its winos, pagans, wrinkled-prune Djinn, and hungry demon is wickedly funny.
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humor!
Kick back and curl up with this well written and light hearted book that will definitely give your funny bone a work out! This book is a very fast read, Christopher Moore's tale is not only captivating but will leave you laughing! You just have to love Christopher Moore's morbid humor.

Practical Demon Keeping by Christopher Moore

Having read Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore, I figured this book would be just as hilarious, and it is comparable, but not the same. This is a great story, has an interesting plot, and has very memorable
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Jul 04, 2012 Linda (Miss Greedybooks) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, humor
My first Moore book, his first also. I loved it! Later, Lamb took over as favorite, but this one is still fondly remembered.

The jacket caught my imagination: "Okay, Stephen King, Douglas Adams, and H.P. Lovecraft go to a Frank Capra movie (It's a wonderful life). Thus inspired they write a book..." Well, I'm in, let's go! And a great trip to Pine Cove it is.

Catch a demon of the 27th order, meaning in the hierarchy of hell he is far below archdemons like the master of avarice, but far above the
Bandit
Jan 24, 2014 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an absolute delight of a fairy tale for adults. Demons, djinns, adventures, magic and moral included. With a side of mayhem and homicide by devouring. I've read Moore before and liked him, it was nice to see that he was this good out of the gate as this debut proves. Maybe not as much laugh out loud funny as Dirty Job or Fool, but just as fun, imaginative, clever, humorous and entertaining as only Christopher Moore can do. Highly recommended.
Wart Hill
Apr 16, 2014 Wart Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck.

I love you, Christopher Moore, and your cracktastic brain and the weird shit that comes out of it, winds up on the page, and then gets published so I can read the shit out of it because Fuck. Yes.

This book his hilarious and fun and wonderful and ridiculous.

So. Yes.
Lyn
Feb 27, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it
Cool, fun book.

Absurd, irreverent, inventive, erudite, and entertaining. Some conveniently wound up loose ends, inconsistent in parts, but a descendant of Vonnegut at his best.

description
vicki_girl
This was my first Chistopher Moore book. I had heard mixed reviews about his works, and wasn't sure if I would like them. However, when I saw the title Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I just had to see what this guy was about. I prefer to start at the beginning and work my way through an author chronologically. So I picked up a copy of Practical Demonkeeping.

Practical Demonkeeping definitely reads like a first novel. The story line rambled a bit, and sometimes felt a l
Madeleine
If this were written by anyone else, I'd probably give "Practical Demonkeeping" four stars. If this had been the first time I read anything of Moore's, I'd probably give it four stars. But seeing as this is the first novel he's written and the fourth of his I've read, I know how much better he becomes as he gets a few more books under his belt.

All the telltale marks of Moore are fabulously apparent: Well-turned phrases, otherworldly understatement (Moore is one of the few times I appreciate unde
11811 (Eleven)
Mar 19, 2014 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Check out the audio book if you can. The demon sounds just like Cookie Monster and that alone kept me laughing through this one. It isn't the masterpiece that is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal but it's still pretty damn funny.
Sara O
Jan 30, 2008 Sara O rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
This is the first time that I've actually read a whole book in one day. It was just so flippin' funny I couldn't put it down!
Cid Tyer
Feb 27, 2010 Cid Tyer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
I think I have an issue getting through the first chapter in any Moore book, save Lamb. I read the first chapter and almost gave the book up as a lost cause, but a stressful day had me reaching into my bag for it and I'm glad I finished it. I like how Moore weaves together multiple characters and events, including sometimes silly, pointless side lines of things that happen as a result of the plot. His characters are always diverse, interesting things, and often times display attributes true to p ...more
Tung
Jan 18, 2012 Tung rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
This is the third book by Moore that I have read (after Lamb and the Stupidest Angel), but chronologically it is Moore’s first published work. The story takes place in Moore’s oft-used fictional town of Pine Cove, CA. A stranger rolls into town bringing with him an invisible demon named Catch. Over the course of the story we find out that the stranger (a man named Travis) is trying to rid himself of Catch, while at the same time Catch is trying to rid himself of his master Travis. This plotline ...more
Steve Lowe
Jun 17, 2010 Steve Lowe rated it really liked it
Well, more like 3.5 stars... a solid read, nothing too exciting or groundbreaking, but considering this was Moore's first novel, not bad. Enjoyable and funny.

Of Moore's work, I read A DIRTY JOB first and really dug it, then subsequently picked up FOOL and LAMB and didn't make past the halfway point with either one. They weren't bad, they just didn't hold my interest, nor have I had a desire to return to them. DEMONKEEPING is closer to DIRTY JOB in terms of style and tone, a similar, lighthearted
Kristen
Apr 25, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
This novel was a surprisingly quick read, it is short and although not action packed, it manages to keep your attention from beginning to end. The writing style is very casual and humorous, slightly vulgar but not so much as to gain an "R" rating or to turn off the casual reader. There are drugs, but they are not glorified, there is sex, but it is not explicit and there is profanity, but it is not overwhelming.

The story itself is simple enough, one man (Travis) is cursed with being the "Master"
TC
Although this is not one of Christopher Moore's funniest books in my opinion, it definitely has its moments. Practical Demonkeeping is another fun and twisted romp with the perverse author of Dirty Job and Fool who crafts great quirky characters to carry his stories. Mavis, the bar owner from Stupidest Angel is here, as is Detective Rivera from Dirty Job and Moore's vampire novels. (I particularly enjoyed the way Mavis answers the phone in the bar: "Garden of Eden, Snake speaking.")
P.D. is one o
Heather
Mar 02, 2009 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I marked this read because I read most of it. I just got to a point where I put it down and never got the oomph to pick it back up. It just wasn't holding my interest.
Granted, this is Moore's first book, but really, I think it's a good example of how I feel about his work in general sometimes. That is to say, a great idea with some genuinely funny bits thrown in, but overall, not so great in execution. There are lots of things I'm clearly supposed to think are hilariously dark and witty, but of
Marvin
Jan 14, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Practical Demonkeeping was Christopher Moore's first novel and even being his debut, it has all of the fun that I expect from the best author of humorous fiction alive. In this early work, you can easily see the influence of Tom Robbins, Carl Haissen and even perhaps some Douglas Adams. Yet Christopher Moore's strange brain is like no other and even here he reveals an unique sense of wit. His opuses Lamb and A Dirty Job are still years away but Practical Demonkeeping is as weird and funny as any ...more
Eric
Feb 16, 2010 Eric rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christopher Moore fans
After reading Christopher Moore's Lamb, I knew I wanted to read more of his work, and figured the best place to start was with his first novel, so I picked up a copy of Practical Demonkeeping. It was a quick, easy read, and only took me three sittings to finish. For as much as I enjoyed it, I doubt it will stay with me long, as Lamb has. I don't mean that as an insult, I just see Practical Demonkeeping as more of a great beach read -- if supernatural stories about demons and their keepers are yo ...more
Cathy
I can't believe that was his first book! It was great, a perfect mix between absurd humor and urban fantasy, but in a laid-back California style. The wordplay is delicious, as is the imagery. I didn't really get the thing with the owl at the end, but the rest was pretty great. I also really enjoyed it as an audio book. And I finished it faster than any other audiobook I've listened to, I kept putting it on in the house instread of just in the car!
Lou Harper
Nov 26, 2014 Lou Harper added it
Shelves: dnf
Good writing, interesting story, but with the narrative skipping from one member to the other of the large ensemble cast it's impossible to really care about the fate of any of them. It makes for a detached sort of reading.

Halfway through I put the book down and never picked it up again. I just don't care what happens to any of the characters.
Aaron
Dec 17, 2014 Aaron rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Christopher Moore, who is a great author for those who have a twisted sense of humor like me. Readers quickly finds themselves in Pine Cove, a small coastal California community with a past tied to whaling and residents who are quirky enough that they would have fit right in on Northern Exposure. Everything in Pine Cove is about to be shaken up when Travis O'Hearn arrives in town.

Travis is a pretty unique guy in that he is not what he appears to be, a young twenty-somet
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
HYSTERICALLY FUNNY!!! I lost count of how many times I had to pause reading because I was laughing so hard! Christopher Moore’s writing reminds me movies like “Blazing Saddles” and “Airplane”…he actually manages to tell a story in between all the insanity! Recommend to anyone looking for a good laugh!

Joseph Gowen
Aug 29, 2008 Joseph Gowen rated it liked it
Another funny, well-written book by Christopher Moore. In his debut novel, he introduces characters and places that keep popping up throughout his following novels, but never in conspicuous ways. I just love seeing how his different characters' lives touch and interconnect.
Olethros
-Una idea sencilla que trata de ser arropada por mil y una ocurrencias.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Al pueblo norteamericano de Pine Cove llega un joven forastero llamado Travis. Pero ni es tan joven como parece ni viene solo en realidad porque le acompaña un demonio de la orden vigesimoséptima, llamado Engañifa, creado para servir y destruir. Además, también llega un anciano de aspecto árabe y que en realidad en un djinn que tiene cuentas pendientes con Engañifa desde hace m
Danny Foncke
Mar 19, 2015 Danny Foncke rated it liked it
A bit thin and shallow. A chuckle now and then but certainly not tear-rolling funny. No elaborate plot(s), twists or turns. An easy read for those in-between moments.
  • Monster
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Pest Control
  • Skin Tight (Mick Stranahan, #1)
  • Death: A Life
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • Sibs
  • Inside Job
  • Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed

Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatu
More about Christopher Moore...

Pine Cove (3 books)