Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)

Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  40,741 ratings  ·  1,814 reviews
Jody never asked to become a vampire. But when she wakes up under an alley Dumpster with a badly burned arm, an aching neck, superhuman strength, and a distinctly Nosferatuan thirst, she realizes the decision has been made for her. Making the transition from the nine-to-five grind to an eternity of nocturnal prowlings is going to take some doing, however, and that's where...more
Published June 1st 2004 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodsucking Fiends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodsucking Fiends

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
12th out of 2,139 books — 3,236 voters
'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerDark Lover by J.R. WardInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
19th out of 1,135 books — 6,505 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Okay, let's cut right to the chase here.

I discovered Christopher Moore him about two years ago, and since then I'm pretty sure I've either read (or listened to) everything he's written.

I really enjoy his books. They're tightly written, clever, and funny, funny, funny....

How much do I like his writing? Let me put it this way:

Let's say I met Christopher Moore at a convention and instead of being the charming gent I know him to be, he turned out to be a total asshole. A real tunk.

Let's say he...more
Jeffrey Keeten
MoonriseOverSanFrancisco3

C. Thomas Flood lands in the city by the Bay, fresh from the farming fields of Indiana, determined to write a great American novel. He rents a cot from a Chinese entrepreneur named Wong and finds himself living with five other Chinese gentlemen all named Wong as well. The Wongs are excited because they have recently learned that it is legal for two men to marry in San Francisco. Thomas has something they really, really lust for...American citizenship. Needless to say living with five men who lo...more
L
Sometimes it helps to read a series in order. In the case of Christopher Moore, though, it's not always necessary. I read "You Suck" first, and thoroughly enjoyed it, then went back and read its precursor, "Bloodsucking Fiends." While BF gave context for YS, each stands on its own as a very amusing quick read.

Jody is attacked walking home from work and wakes up the next evening disheveled, under a dumpster, with one burned hand, and with a load of cash in a paper bag. She returns to her apartme...more
Lance Greenfield
Christopher Moore has an amazing imagination. As I read Bloodsucking Fiends and, a while back, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I kept asking myself, "Where do all his ideas come from?"

This story is both creative and funny. It is different to any other vampire story that you have read, or will ever read, unless somebody plagiarises Moore.

Tommy is the leader of a gang of oddball supermarket shelf-stackers. Jody is a novice vampire. The two of them form what one would n...more
Flesheating D-Ray
WARNING: Spoilers, Triggers: Discussion of Sexual Assault.

There isn't anything remotely funny, fresh, or readable about this book.

Jody is a grab-bag of stereotypes and is flatter than a cardboard cut-out of Carrie Bradshaw. One has to wonder if Moore had any idea what women are like. Or even people. Perhaps he lives in some secluded Alaskan tundra; in which case I will forgive him his ignorance.

Moore at best seems to be a garbage bag who seems to think that the main character literally being ra...more
Nicholas Karpuk
I saw Christopher Moore give a talk at the Tattered Cover recently, and having only read Fluke, I didn't really grasp the nature of his audience. The crowd easily tripled the normal quantity of attendees for that sort of event. His talk resembled a odd sort of stand up comedy routine, and every joke exploded through the room from the uproarious laughter.

For me I'd say a joke hit home about 1 out of every 3 times. His humor is consistently rather broad, he has the demeanor of a elementary school...more
AH

I first picked up this book because it had an intriguing cover. As I started reading, I realized that this was not your average vampire story. First of all, the characters are very colorful, the writing is humorous, and the vampire lore just a little different from all the other stuff out there.

Jody has been made into a vampire. She was attacked, bitten, left under a dumpster, burned her hand in the sunlight, and left with a shirt stuffed full of money. There was no vampire sire to teac...more
sj
Feb 22, 2013 sj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: yorwtfiw
This was only my second Christopher Moore novel (and ZOMG I HAVE SO MANY FRIENDS that are all "OH, YOU MUST READ HIM RIGHT MEOW!") so there was a lot of pressure (even if only in my own mind) on me to enjoy this before I'd even started it.

I LOVED Lamb, mostly because it reminded me a lot of mid-Tom Robbins. This? Not as much.

I mean, it wasn't terrible, and I liked it, but if I had started with this book, I'd be in no hurry to return to his work.

But, FFS, every single time I updated my reading pr...more
jD
At first I thought I liked this because of the narrator's delivery of the off color vamp Urban Fantasy. But now that it's concluded, I am thinking I just really like Christopher Moore's twisted sense of humor and storytelling. The characters where a blast even down to the two dogs and the cranky cops.

Regretfully, this story was written quite some time ago as a trilogy but only one audio book is still on the market. My library carries the hardcopies but I am loving having this delivered via car s...more
Sep 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who take themselves to seriously.
OK - This was just fun. I tried to be jaded and above this book (cuz I am sporting an attitude problem at the moment and after reading about 1000 vampire books I think I am all that when it comes to Vampy Fiction), But truth be told I fell into this story and enjoyed it all the way to the end.

The characters were great. Just when you think you have them pigeon-holed into their stereotype they surprise you with a thought or insight and you have to reevaluate. I love that it's ridiculously absurd...more
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers and Humor Enthusiasts!
Recommended to DJ by: Vampire Research Project
Katie
Re-reading this series makes me want to go back and re-read all of Christopher Moore's books again. Because I love him and I think he's amazing. Oh, and because he totally wants to be my friend. He told me so.
Felicia
Very funny vampire novel. I love Moore' tongue in cheek writing.
Amy
I should admit upfront that I'm suffering from a severe case of vampire fatigue; that, coupled with disdain for Christopher Moore based on the only other book of his that I read, means that there really was no chance in the world that I was going to enjoy this book, and in fact should never have read it. However, it was this month's book club selection, so read it I did and now we all must suffer the consequences.

Bloodsucking Fiends is the story of several unlikable characters, some of whom are...more
Michelle R.
"It's not like I came to the City saying, "Oh, I can't wait to find a woman whose only joy in life is sucking out my bodily fluids.' Okay, well maybe I did, but I didn't mean this."

This is not my first experience with Christopher Moore. I loved A Dirty Job, and wrote up a review on it, but it never posted and I never rewrote it. Loved Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. I read part of Fool as part of a self-designed plan to really understand King Lear from different angle...more
2 Words that describe the book: Vampire comedy

3 Settings where it took place or characters you met:

* Setting: Modern-day San Francisco

* Jody—A fledgling vampire who had her new lifestyle thrust upon her with no warning or choice, Jody is trying her best to make sense of her new undead lifestyle. But getting used to a life lived solely at night can make things a little tricky, so Jody needs a minion to do her bidding, which is where...

* C. Thomas Flood comes in. A wannabe writer from Incontinence...more
Marcie
The interesting thing about this book is how clearly it illustrates the evolution of a writer and his novel-crafting skill. This is NOT the same guy who later wrote Lamb or Angel or Dirty Job…

I looked it up: this was his 3rd (1995) of 13 published works. I had experienced Numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11. Lamb, Angel, Dirty Job, Fool, Lust Lizard, Fluke, all meet and exceed the challenge of using seriously unfunny subjects (religion, death, Shakespeare, mental illness, science) by a Master of Humor...more
Anne
I have a hard time paying attention to when books were published and in what order, but Bloodsucking Fiends appears to be the prequel to You Suck and A Dirty Job - both of which I really enjoyed. Bloodsucking Fiends takes place in San Francisco and tells the story of Jody, who has just been turned into a vampire and is trying to come to terms with who she is and what exactly all her powers are. She links up with C. Thomas Flood, a recent transplant to the Bay Area who is looking for a place to l...more
Marvin
At last. A paranormal romance I can sink my fangs teeth into. Leave it to Christopher Moore to write a up-to-date, totally irreverent, politically incorrect vampire love story. C. Thomas Flood is a 19 year old virgin. Jody has experience but no luck with men and wakes up in a dumpster as a vampire. If that doesn't rank as having no luck with men I don't know what does. When they meet, it is love at first...no...no way am I going with that overused pun!... well you know. However the vampire that...more
Merril Anil
Can you see me laughing...of course you can’t

Okay the single reason, I picked up this book was because everybody was saying how good of a humorous ride it was and that how they find it hard to stop giggling and laughing. once I started reading it, I got confused as to whether this was the same book these people were talking about as nothing was making sense and except that i picked up a book thinking to be funny but was not, nothing seemed to be funny .Then I thought perhaps i am not adult eno...more
Cassandra
I picked this up as my first ever Christopher Moore book. I was thinking it would be a bit of a farse on paranormal stuff. Most of his stuff seems to be like that after looking him up. But it wasn't much of a farse, rather just silly and a bit boring. To be fair I didn't read the whole book. I got to about page 130 before picking up another book.
Peter
Morbide, sexistisch und absolut absurd - Christopher Moore eben.

"Lange Zähne" ist der Auftakt zu der Moorschen Vampir Trilogie, in der sich alles rund um das Liebespaar Jody und Tommy dreht. Sie, aus unerfindlichen Gründen von einem alten Vampir als Spielgefährtin ausgesucht und er als angehender und erfolgloser Schriftsteller aus Indiana zu einem Supermarktjob verdammt.

Aberwitzig zeichnet Moore wieder einmal wundervolle Figuren, denen er in einzigartiger Weise Leben einhaucht. Und dies ist nich...more
Mallory
Mar 27, 2009 Mallory rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like romantic comedies
After slogging through the abomination that was Twilight, I wasn’t looking forward to another vampire love story. However, Christopher Moore’s Lamb was one of the funniest books I’ve ever read, so I was willing to give Bloodsucking Fiends a try.

This was a great light read. It was poignant and funny, and the adorable romance will make you want to run around your house and cuddle random things. Moore has a great way of juxtaposing the eloquent with the hilarious. His characters were real and lovab...more
Emily
Christopher Moore is one of my favorite authors. I love the irreverent humor and wacky story elements in all of his books (Island of the Sequined Love Nun is my favorite so far.) Bloodsucking Fiends is actually a reread for me, as I'd read it a few years ago, but between that reading and this one, I discovered paranormal romance and urban fantasy.

My friends, the results of combining these things is HILARIOUS. One of the best things about reading widely in one specific genre is noticing the commo...more
Haley
While this claims to be 'a love story' I found myself laughing much more then cooing. And with the couple being a 19 year old, aspiring writer from Indiana and a recently turned drop-dead gorgeous redhead vampire, one of the last things you'd expect would be to get a laugh out of almost every page.

Straight out I really enjoyed this book. The writing was quirky and fast paced and the characters are so unorthodox that it made me laugh just out of sheer confusion as to why they're like that, or eve...more
David Katzman
For Halloween this year, I went as a bad standup-comedian vampire. I wrote some jokes that followed typical standup subject matter but entirely without punch lines. My style was Steven Wright minus the payoff. I dressed as a vampire, wore realistic fangs, too, and performed the routine at two parties with a plant in the audience each time directed to shout, after four jokes, “You suck!!!”

I killed.

Hahahah. Well, I kill me, anyway.

So a while back a friend loaned me the novel, You Suck because he...more
Sarah BT
I picked this one up thanks to my upcoming adult lit class this semester. This novel counted as one of my "horror" picks and since that's a genre I tend to shy away from, I figured I could use something that had horror aspects, but still had some humor.

I've never read any Christopher Moore's books, even though I've been told to by several co-workers, and I have to admit I should have listened to them earlier. There were many laugh out loud moments in Bloodsucking Fiends and I was thoroughly engr...more
Justin
Another light, humorous read from Christopher Moore, this time dealing with my favorite subject in the whole wide world (note the sarcasm, there): vampire relationships. This one has all of Moore’s hallmarks, and I enjoyed reading it, but it seems oddly incomplete and not as satisfying as his other books.

The story follows a cute, somewhat awkward redhead named Jody, as she finds herself suddenly and without preamble attacked and transformed into a creature of the night. Left to her own devices t...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Heidi

Beware of spoilers

Jody was attacked on her way home from work one night and woke up underneath a dumpster and found that she had been changed into a vampire. She goes home to her boyfriend, Kurt, who didn’t understand. She ends up clocking him with a pot, knocking him out and feeding off of him. She managed to leave him alive, but she didn’t think he’d be too happy with her, so she left.

She quickly discovers that she needs help; there are just too m...more
Shelton TRL
Fast-paced. Funny; offbeat. Witty.

A funny and odd vampire love story, this book follows the developing romance between Tommy,a barely adult wannabe writer, and Jody, a newly minted vampire, in the great city of San Francisco. The vampire who turned Jody courts her by leaving corpses where she'll find them while an HIV-positive friend of Tommy figures out what Jody is. Some serious moments but overall irrevent and highly entertaining.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys Don't Talk Back To...more
An interesting book 2 10 18 hours, 15 min ago
You Suck 26 177 Jul 20, 2012 10:58AM
  • Monster
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)
  • Skin Tight
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Pest Control
  • Half the Blood of Brooklyn (Joe Pitt, #3)
  • Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
  • HELP!  A Bear is Eating Me!

Christopher Moore (born 1957 in Toledo, Ohio) is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters...more
More about Christopher Moore...
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) Fool You Suck (A Love Story, #2) Practical Demonkeeping

“He was a writer and words were his weapons.” 94 likes