Start by marking “Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story, #1)

Bloodsucking Fiends (A Love Story #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  50,702 Ratings  ·  2,146 Reviews
There is an alternate cover edition here.

Jody never asked to become a vampire. But when she wakes up under an alley Dumpster with a badly burned arm, an aching neck, superhuman strength, and a distinctly Nosferatuan thirst, she realizes the decision has been made for her.

Making the transition from the nine-to-five grind to an eternity of nocturnal prowlings is going to tak
Published June 1st 2004 by HarperCollins (first published September 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodsucking Fiends, please sign up.

Melissa I had no problems understanding anything....it was more like I had a few Aha! moments when I read the previous versions later, but I still enjoyed the…moreI had no problems understanding anything....it was more like I had a few Aha! moments when I read the previous versions later, but I still enjoyed the books regardless. I think with any book that is part of a series or trilogy, ideally you want to read them in order, but if it's difficult or impossible to get a copy of the previous books then I would recommend reading on(less)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
14th out of 2,557 books — 3,619 voters
'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
20th out of 1,352 books — 7,204 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Apr 06, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let's cut right to the chase here.

I discovered Christopher Moore him about two years ago, and since then I'm pretty sure I've either read (or listened to) everything he's written.

I really enjoy his books. They're tightly written, clever, and funny, funny, funny....

How much do I like his writing? Let me put it this way:

Let's say I met Christopher Moore at a convention and instead of being the charming gent I know him to be, he turned out to be a total asshole. A real tunk.

Let's say he
Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 07, 2012 Jeffrey Keeten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MoonriseOverSanFrancisco3

C. Thomas Flood lands in the city by the Bay, fresh from the farming fields of Indiana, determined to write a great American novel. He rents a cot from a Chinese entrepreneur named Wong and finds himself living with five other Chinese gentlemen all named Wong as well. The Wongs are excited because they have recently learned that it is legal for two men to marry in San Francisco. Thomas has something they really, really lust for...American citizenship. Needless to say living with five men who lo
Lyn
Jan 28, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it
Like all of Moore's novels I have read, this one is hilarious.

Could this be the first post-modern vampire book? Romanticism has been either thrown in the corner of the closet or all together defenestrated, this is nuts and bolts of how this immortal stuff works and mythbusting what doesn't.

Really, really fun.

description
Krystin Rachel
This reminded me of the campy vampire movies I loved as a kid: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the original with Kristy Swanson and Donald Sutherland (for some fucking reason) - or The Lost Boys. Perhaps if I'd read Bloodsucking Fiends when it first came out in 1995 I would have a nostalgia towards the story, because I'm fully aware that the only reason, something like Buffy the Vampire Slayer is re-watchable to me is because I saw it for the first time when I was 8. It's not going to hold up for, sa ...more
Lance Greenfield
Oct 25, 2016 Lance Greenfield rated it it was amazing
Christopher Moore has an amazing imagination. As I read Bloodsucking Fiends and, a while back, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, I kept asking myself, "Where do all his ideas come from?"

This story is both creative and funny. It is different to any other vampire story that you have read, or will ever read, unless somebody plagiarises Moore.

Tommy is the leader of a gang of oddball supermarket shelf-stackers. Jody is a novice vampire. The two of them form what one would n
L
May 30, 2008 L rated it really liked it
Sometimes it helps to read a series in order. In the case of Christopher Moore, though, it's not always necessary. I read "You Suck" first, and thoroughly enjoyed it, then went back and read its precursor, "Bloodsucking Fiends." While BF gave context for YS, each stands on its own as a very amusing quick read.

Jody is attacked walking home from work and wakes up the next evening disheveled, under a dumpster, with one burned hand, and with a load of cash in a paper bag. She returns to her apartme
Flesheating D-Ray
Oct 05, 2016 Flesheating D-Ray rated it did not like it
NOTE: PLEASE STOP COMING TO THIS REVIEW ACTING LIKE I AM CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED TO FIND THIS BORING ASS BOOK INTERESTING OR FUNNY. IT WAS BORING. I WAS BORED. PLEASE LEARN TO DEAL.

Jody is a grab-bag of stereotypes and is flatter than a cardboard cut-out of Carrie Bradshaw. One has to wonder if Moore had any idea what women are like. Or even people. Perhaps he lives in some secluded Alaskan tundra; in which case I will forgive him his ignorance.

Moore at best seems to be a garbage bag who seems
AH

I first picked up this book because it had an intriguing cover. As I started reading, I realized that this was not your average vampire story. First of all, the characters are very colorful, the writing is humorous, and the vampire lore just a little different from all the other stuff out there.

Jody has been made into a vampire. She was attacked, bitten, left under a dumpster, burned her hand in the sunlight, and left with a shirt stuffed full of money. There was no vampire sire to teac
jD
At first I thought I liked this because of the narrator's delivery of the off color vamp Urban Fantasy. But now that it's concluded, I am thinking I just really like Christopher Moore's twisted sense of humor and storytelling. The characters where a blast even down to the two dogs and the cranky cops.

Regretfully, this story was written quite some time ago as a trilogy but only one audio book is still on the market. My library carries the hardcopies but I am loving having this delivered via car s
Athena
Jun 01, 2016 Athena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: folks who enjoy a good laugh
Recommended to Athena by: I've totally forgotten … sorry ...
Shelves: paranormal, humor
Bloodsucking Fiends is a flat-out romp. I snickered, chortled, and yes, guffawed through the entire quick read. Moore writes with quirky ease, managing to seamlessly integrate the sport of frozen turkey bowling into a modern vampire tale featuring an actual, non-sparkly, quite threatening vampire lurking in the background of this modern tale of American romance, unlooked-for vampirism, and over-worked cops.

The perfect light read for summer, or any time you need a good laugh. Go for it!
Ben Babcock
Merril Anil
May 01, 2014 Merril Anil rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Can you see me laughing...of course you can’t

Okay the single reason, I picked up this book was because everybody was saying how good of a humorous ride it was and that how they find it hard to stop giggling and laughing. once I started reading it, I got confused as to whether this was the same book these people were talking about as nothing was making sense and except that i picked up a book thinking to be funny but was not, nothing seemed to be funny .Then I thought perhaps i am not adult eno
sj
Feb 22, 2013 sj rated it liked it
Shelves: yorwtfiw
This was only my second Christopher Moore novel (and ZOMG I HAVE SO MANY FRIENDS that are all "OH, YOU MUST READ HIM RIGHT MEOW!") so there was a lot of pressure (even if only in my own mind) on me to enjoy this before I'd even started it.

I LOVED Lamb, mostly because it reminded me a lot of mid-Tom Robbins. This? Not as much.

I mean, it wasn't terrible, and I liked it, but if I had started with this book, I'd be in no hurry to return to his work.

But, FFS, every single time I updated my reading pr
Marvin
Sep 10, 2011 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
At last. A paranormal romance I can sink my fangs teeth into. Leave it to Christopher Moore to write a up-to-date, totally irreverent, politically incorrect vampire love story. C. Thomas Flood is a 19 year old virgin. Jody has experience but no luck with men and wakes up in a dumpster as a vampire. If that doesn't rank as having no luck with men I don't know what does. When they meet, it is love at first...no...no way am I going with that overused pun!... well you know. However the vampire that ...more
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers and Humor Enthusiasts!
Recommended to DJ by: Vampire Research Project
May 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, favorite
2 Words that describe the book: Vampire comedy

3 Settings where it took place or characters you met:

* Setting: Modern-day San Francisco

* Jody—A fledgling vampire who had her new lifestyle thrust upon her with no warning or choice, Jody is trying her best to make sense of her new undead lifestyle. But getting used to a life lived solely at night can make things a little tricky, so Jody needs a minion to do her bidding, which is where...

* C. Thomas Flood comes in. A wannabe writer from Incontinence
Marcie
Jan 07, 2013 Marcie rated it it was ok
The interesting thing about this book is how clearly it illustrates the evolution of a writer and his novel-crafting skill. This is NOT the same guy who later wrote Lamb or Angel or Dirty Job…

I looked it up: this was his 3rd (1995) of 13 published works. I had experienced Numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11. Lamb, Angel, Dirty Job, Fool, Lust Lizard, Fluke, all meet and exceed the challenge of using seriously unfunny subjects (religion, death, Shakespeare, mental illness, science) by a Master of Humor
Michelle
Aug 15, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always had an interest in the topic and stories of vampires. This story was no exception. Just like the first book by this author that I read, this story is unique with witty and funny dialogue and some really interesting characters and a bloody good twist of events.

Yes that pun was intended.
Katie
Jul 25, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
Re-reading this series makes me want to go back and re-read all of Christopher Moore's books again. Because I love him and I think he's amazing. Oh, and because he totally wants to be my friend. He told me so.
Felicia
Feb 25, 2008 Felicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Very funny vampire novel. I love Moore' tongue in cheek writing.
Lisa
Jody is a freshly turned vampire, getting accustomed to her new powers while also its drawbacks - in need of someone to be able to do day stuff for her, she finds herself involved with Tommy, an aspiring writer new to the city and working as night manager for a crew of shop stockroom ne'erdowells. As a vampire stalks the streets, Jody and Tommy will need the help of The Animals - the aforementioned stockers - and The Emperor, a local 'character' leading an army consisting of two dogs, to help ...more
Amy
Apr 08, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampires-snore
I should admit upfront that I'm suffering from a severe case of vampire fatigue; that, coupled with disdain for Christopher Moore based on the only other book of his that I read, means that there really was no chance in the world that I was going to enjoy this book, and in fact should never have read it. However, it was this month's book club selection, so read it I did and now we all must suffer the consequences.

Bloodsucking Fiends is the story of several unlikable characters, some of whom are
Michelle Rever
Jun 18, 2011 Michelle Rever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, vampire
"It's not like I came to the City saying, "Oh, I can't wait to find a woman whose only joy in life is sucking out my bodily fluids.' Okay, well maybe I did, but I didn't mean this."

This is not my first experience with Christopher Moore. I loved A Dirty Job, and wrote up a review on it, but it never posted and I never rewrote it. Loved Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. I read part of Fool as part of a self-designed plan to really understand King Lear from different angle
Ashley Filippo
Sep 29, 2016 Ashley Filippo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall-2016-tbr
Weird, cute, and really entertaining. The beginning was a little confusing for me but it picked up. Excited to read the next book in this series!
Earl Grey Tea
Nov 29, 2016 Earl Grey Tea rated it really liked it
November 2016 Re-Read
In my quest to enjoy the entire Christopher Moore collection in audio format (and toss a little bit more money his way by purchasing all of his works through Audible - Yes, Christopher Moore, you mean that much to me that I am repurchasing your works), I've come back to this book only two years after the most previous read. I'm sure I've read this book back in the first decade of the new millennium, but I just can't remember when.

As with my previous review, Moore does a grea
Richard
Almost the perfect piece of fluff.

I think it is somewhat curious that vampires don't seem to be a la mode as they once were. Werewolves are ascendent, such as when this book was written. We can also see that in other areas of fashion —in nineties and aughts, the androgynous look was very in. Remember the coolest guys were the metrosexuals? Now, all those guys seem to have beards, and are wearing flannel shirts. I dearly hope we don't head into chupacabra territory next.

Amusingly, the back of thi
Anne
Jun 27, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok
I have a hard time paying attention to when books were published and in what order, but Bloodsucking Fiends appears to be the prequel to You Suck and A Dirty Job - both of which I really enjoyed. Bloodsucking Fiends takes place in San Francisco and tells the story of Jody, who has just been turned into a vampire and is trying to come to terms with who she is and what exactly all her powers are. She links up with C. Thomas Flood, a recent transplant to the Bay Area who is looking for a place to ...more
Alessandro Vicenzi
È il primo libro della trilogia vampiresca di Moore, che logicamente viene tradotto sei anni dopo la pubblicazione del secondo (che adesso potrò rileggere e finalmente apprezzare) e conferma tutte le cose buone che sa fare lo scrittore americano.
Dialoghi frizzanti, personaggi strambi ma mai eccessivi, storia lineare ed essenziale che gioca il giusto con la mitologia vampiresca. Scade un po' nella parte più d'azione, ma è in linea con la media (alta) della sua produzione
Cassandra
Feb 18, 2009 Cassandra rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
I picked this up as my first ever Christopher Moore book. I was thinking it would be a bit of a farse on paranormal stuff. Most of his stuff seems to be like that after looking him up. But it wasn't much of a farse, rather just silly and a bit boring. To be fair I didn't read the whole book. I got to about page 130 before picking up another book.
Sir
Aug 27, 2010 Sir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Bram Stoker meets Mel Brooks...

Boy meets girl, girl bites boy. A fang-in-cheek love story about a sexy red-headed vampire and her daytime minion and the trials and tribulations of their romance. This is the first of Christopher Moore's Vampire trilogy, and part of a looser group that includes A Dirty Job and Coyote Blue.

• Gil's All Fright Diner
  • No Dominion (Joe Pitt, #2)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • The Undead Kama Sutra (Felix Gomez, #3)
  • Roughneck
  • Pest Control
  • Skin Tight (Mick Stranahan, #1)
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)
  • Vamped
  • Death: A Life

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums
More about Christopher Moore...

A Love Story (3 books)
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • Bite Me (A Love Story, #3)

“He was a writer and words were his weapons.” 103 likes