Start by marking “The Detroit Almanac” as Want to Read:
The Detroit Almanac

The Detroit Almanac

The Detroit Almanac is the most comprehensive reference book ever assembled on the metro area, with more than 1,000 photos and graphics covering Southeastern Michigan's three eventful centuries.
Published October 13th 2000 by Detroit Free Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Detroit Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Detroit Almanac

Fishface
Aug 23, 2016 Fishface rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Fishface by: DGM
This was simply a compilation of all kinds of information from the Free Press on Detroit's history, from the beginning of white occupation of the area. I was hoping for a much bigger crime section, and strangely, it avoids covering actual crime IN DETROIT like the plague, at least after the Great Depression. They covered 3 Michigan serial killers, but only 1 of them was even in the Metro area. It didn't include stories on the missing 5- to 7-year-olds who kept disappearing on their way to school ...more
Claire S
This is formatted not so much as straight text, but more like a Guinness Book of World Records type thing. Lots of photos and graphics, and each page has multiple headlines followed by a paragraph or two of text, or a list, or bullet points, or what have you. The overall tone is positive and bursting with energy. The intro briefly skims over some of the challenges facing the city, the whole rest of it is for the most part a celebration.

Chapters include:
Work &am
Sara
Jun 27, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: detroit-ophiles
This book is fascinating to pick up and leaf through at random. I wish the Free Press would put out an updated edition, because there are so many great new stories and figures (KWAME) that need to be included!

Paging through this book is similar to being let loose in the Freep's clippings and photo archives - only without the dust. It's organized by topic so it's easy to skip to what interests you and it's nicely sectioned so that you can skim past an entry you don't care about.

Charming, interes
Lola
May 16, 2016 Lola rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
I have four words for you: endless and mind-numbingly boring. Don't even think about picking this up. Trust me, there isn't anything in there about Detroit that you really need to know. Here's what you should know about Detroit: 1) Don't walk there at night after eight, 2) The Lions suck, and 3) There are actually some fun things to do in Detroit if you know where to look. There you go, the basics of Detroit laid out for you. No reason to pick this up now!
Melody
Dec 19, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Detroiters
In spite of this book's most obvious handicap (it was published by the Free Press), the Detroit Almanac is one of my favorite books. You can pick it up at any point in the book and learn something new each time. It has all the info you could care about regarding the Detroit area, from the very start of its history, to current pop culture. I look forward to an updated version in the next decade.
Steven
Very very good overview book on Detroit and its history et al. I'm very glad I started some research with this book, as it directed me toward other sources and ideas due to my lack of history.

Now I think I'll need to have the 2006 updated edition for my own shelves, as the library always wants its copies back.
Kristeeeee
Jan 21, 2008 Kristeeeee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
A must for anyone living in and around Detroit, or anyone who has a slight interest in the city's ruffian origins.
Vicki
Feb 28, 2008 Vicki marked it as to-read
Hey, it looks interesting to a girl who grew up south of the great city of Detroit :)
G
Nov 06, 2012 G rated it really liked it
I can't believe how much I learned about Detroit from this book. Read it now!
Barbarajean
Aug 24, 2007 Barbarajean rated it really liked it
i actually read this whole thing. It's a bit out-of-date though.
Michelle
Feb 01, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what fun reading about the history of Detroit!
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Gayle McCreedy
Gayle McCreedy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Lauren Walters
Lauren Walters marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Maria Jordan
Maria Jordan is currently reading it
May 12, 2016
Bonnie Johnson
Bonnie Johnson rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Denice
Denice rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Carolyn Vieira-Martinez
Carolyn Vieira-Martinez marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Nate Jackson
Nate Jackson rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Franz Pascher
Franz Pascher rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Michele Purdie
Michele Purdie rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Eric M. Krawchuk
Eric M. Krawchuk rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Tom Kurtz
Tom Kurtz rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015