Start by marking “Living a Covenant Marriage” as Want to Read:
Living a Covenant Marriage

Living a Covenant Marriage

Editors Bio

Douglas E. Brinely
received his Ph.D. in family studies from Brigham Young University.style="mso-spacerun: yes"> He is an author or co-author of six
books on marriage and family, including Between Husband and Wife: Gospel
Perspectives on Marital Intimacy.
He is a professor of Church History and Doctrine at Brigham Young
University. He and his wife, Geri

Published June 1st 2004 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Living a Covenant Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living a Covenant Marriage

Hilary Roberts
Wow, I really liked this book! The chapters are written by different people and are on different aspects of marriage. Some chapters were better and more applicable to me than others. The chapters that spoke to me, however, REALLY spoke to me! There was so much good advice and nuggets of information. I'll just share one thing here: I always knew that marriage was a three-way relationship between husband, wife, and God; but I'd never thought of it in terms of actual covenants. In civil weddings, t ...more
Kellen Madsen
Nov 15, 2016 Kellen Madsen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gospel
Gives a fantastic perspective developed from a lot of experience from the contributors. From their years of working in the field of counseling and their mesh with the gospel they give powerful suggestions on how to have a happier marriage. This book however wouldn't only benefit members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but every marriage. It really will benefit any relationship because it forces you into your spouses shoes and that is eye opening throughout the book.
Tanis
Mar 08, 2009 Tanis rated it it was amazing
Erich and I read this book together when we were newlyweds. Recently, I had a very strong feeling that I should read it again, and I'm so glad I did. It was so refreshing to read and to know that Heavenly Father cares about my marriage and the success of our family. I would say that I have a fantastic relationship with my husband, but there is always room for improvement. Reading this book helped me to see that I can make changes for the better in my marriage, but they have to come from within m ...more
Kristin
Sep 23, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I am so loving this book. I think anyone who has been married for one year or more should read this book. I'm really understanding so much more about the doctrine of eternal marriage and the importace of it. It is a compilation on marriage from several different excellent authors, so you can kind of select what topic you want to study about. It talks about how to stay strong in the relationship even with many differences that come along in marriage. I've learned many things that one would have t ...more
Brittany
Feb 12, 2013 Brittany rated it liked it
The chapters in the book are written by different authors. I liked some chapters better than others.

***** I would give 4-5 stars to my top three favorite chapters:

5) Keeping Marital Love Alive
6) Ministering in Marriage
9) Resolving Marital Differences

There are some gems found throughout the book. I had fun highlighting and putting stars next to the things that were most applicable to me. The book inspired me to be a better spouse. I plan on sharing the things that stood out to me the most with
Melissa
Jun 05, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
"We all have feelings, someone makes us sad, mad, embarassed, but how we choose to react to those feelings, our emotions, is what can create a good or bad situation."

This book helped me analyze myself in how I react to life and the people in it. I was really sceptical at first, but it was the type of "counseling" I needed in my life right now in not only dealing with how to make myself better in my marriage, but in understanding other situations with family around me.
Nov 15, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
The beginning chapters make the book seem like it was telling you things you already knew... however, towards the end, there were wonderful concepts I hadn't thought of before. It was well worth it to read all of it, and it is great to make sure that things are still in check (or hopefully really helpful to others who may need more help).
Michelle
Apr 12, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I love to read books, articles, and essays that will improve upon what I consider is an already succesful marriage. I know there is always room for improvement in everything. I minored in Marriage and Family Studies in college and have considered becoming a Marriage and Family Therapist so I love books in this category.
Jessica
Jan 27, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book is by far one of my favorites. I recommend it to anyone who is married, has been married, wants to get married, or knows anyone that is married (so yea..that should cover everyone!) This book clearly defines the difference between just being married and living a COVENANT marriage. I absolutely loved it and should probably read it once a year to remember what marriage is about.
Angee
Jul 28, 2009 Angee rated it really liked it
There were parts of this book I loved; chapters that I felt spoke just to me. Then, there were other parts that had no application so I found the chapters boring. I will admit that the authors are very knowledgable though, which made for some interesting info. It was a good book overall and one I would recommend to any married couple.
Tiana
Sep 11, 2008 Tiana rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious, nonfiction
While there was some really good stuff in here, I felt like the title was misleading. "Practical advice"--not so much. Lots of good theoretical and doctrinal stuff that was interesting, but I was hoping for more day-to-day tips.
Em
Dec 12, 2008 Em rated it it was amazing
This is another one I'm slightly biased on, because I helped with the editing and research on some of it before it went to publication. If you're looking for great psychologists advice on marriage coupled with intelligent christian advice this is a great book!
Heather
Jan 09, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Great for anyone to read who wants to "freshen-up" their eternal marriage (that we so often take for granted...right ladies??). This book actually has a great section on marital intimacy that was a real eye-opener with great information. I thought it was over-all a great book.
Christina
Dec 22, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Things got busy and I'm returning this one only 2/3rds read, but I have to say of all the marriage books I've read in the last few years, this is one of the best, though not every chapter, coming from different authors, is fabulous.
Rochelle
Feb 23, 2008 Rochelle rated it really liked it
I really am enjoying this book. This has wonderful insights on having a successful Marriage. It's helping me and my spouse become better and realize some of the selfish detrimental things we are doing to each other.
Franziska
Geeze, I sure wish my mission president would have given me a better present than this book for our wedding. the book wasn't bad, but I still found it kind of boring, repetitive and mainly a little cliche.
Marilee
Apr 17, 2014 Marilee rated it really liked it
I loved this book and found the counsel given to be so important. I was lucky to have Daniel Judd as a professor in college and know how strong his understanding is on the doctrine. Great read for all who are married no matter how long.
Ki Goff
Mar 05, 2008 Ki Goff rated it liked it
Good book for reminding you how to be married. It has many well written essays on various subjects.
Tiffani
Oct 19, 2008 Tiffani rated it it was amazing
Best book by far on Marriage. It has some excellent views on how to work through common struggles in every marriage relationship.
Joan Bardsley
May 09, 2010 Joan Bardsley rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book...some practical advise that we can all use. Nice to read from a variety of professionals in one book, rather than just one opinion.
Beth
Apr 15, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: church
This book is great for married couples to read together. We got this as a wedding present and has helped us maintain a good and open relationship.
Colette Riley
Feb 26, 2008 Colette Riley rated it really liked it
This book has great advice. There is a lot of information in it as well. He used a lot of quotes from prophets. I would only read it if I was married though.
Emily Maughan
Nov 21, 2011 Emily Maughan rated it it was amazing
Trav and I read this together and there is so much good advice in it and really helped strengthen our marriage. Definitely read it as a couple and you will be blessed.
Amy
Sep 25, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I would recommend this book to any and all couples. If you relationship is strong or rocky, this book has great suggestions on how to build a stronger marriage and avoid problems later on. Loved it!
Lindsay Weston
This book was fantastic. I read this for a class in college also and loved it. I should probably go back and read it again. Marriage is something you should never stop working on.
Danni
Feb 08, 2012 Danni rated it did not like it
this book is ok. I have read other books on marriage that I liked more.
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Cheryl Knowlton
Cheryl Knowlton rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Sally
Apr 01, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was very inspirational.
Patty
Patty rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don't Need: The Quest for Contentment
  • Rock-Solid Relationships: Strengthening Personal Relationships with Wisdom from the Scriptures
  • Saying It Like It Is
  • Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a Righteous Man
  • Purity and Passion: Spiritual Truths about Intimacy That Will Strengthen Your Marriage
  • What We Wish We'd Known When We Were Newlyweds
  • Covenant Hearts: Marriage and the Joy of Human Love
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • And They Were Not Ashamed: Strengthening Marriage Through Sexual Fulfillment
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • I Hate It When Exercise Is the Answer: A Fitness Program for the Soul
  • Strengthening Our Families: An In-Depth Look at the Proclamation on the Family
  • He Did Deliver Me From Bondage
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Young Children: Nearly 100 Activities and Parenting Ideas to Help You Fell Confident and in Control (Mo
  • Why?: Powerful Answers and Practical Reasons for Living LDS Standards