Start by marking “The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (Johnny Dixon, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (Johnny Dixon, #2)

The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (Johnny Dixon #2)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,209 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Johnny Dixon is sure that he can solve the riddle that will reveal the hiding place of wealthy Mr. Glomus's will--and net Johnny a hefty reward in the bargain. Although his neighbor Professor Childermass warns him to stay away from the Glomus mansion, Johnny can't resist a challenge. Soon he's alone in the deserted house...with one of the undead at his heels!
Published August 3rd 2004 by Puffin (first published 1983)

Coraline by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best Books for Morbid Kids
135th out of 506 books — 391 voters
The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John BellairsSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyScary Stories Treasury by Alvin SchwartzThe Werewolf of Fever Swamp by R.L. StineScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Children's Horror Books
30th out of 59 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Myles
Apr 26, 2015 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never became too attached to Johnny Dixon growing up, I read all the Bellairs I could get my hands on, but despite the gorier aspects of his titles and plot elements he was someone just along for the ride in the books, not the main focus. The Professor was much more interesting.

Reading The Mummy, The Will, and The Crypt as an adult, however, I can finally understand where Johnny is coming from. The main plot involves the solution to an rich eccentric's puzzle-will and an evil presence at that
Derek
Oct 20, 2014 Derek rated it it was amazing
John Bellairs continues to improve as a writer, and the second in the JOHNNY DIXON books. As with previous books, there is a nice mix of mystery and spookiness. This time, Johnny is trying to find a long-lost will left behind by an eccentric millionaire. Of course, things are never easy for poor Johnny, and pretty soon he's in the need of help from The Professor. This book has some genuinely creepy moments, and Bellairs does a nice job of getting into Johnny's thoughts and motivations. Bellairs ...more
Bruce Nordstrom
Aug 24, 2013 Bruce Nordstrom rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Younger readers
I first read John Bellairs' "The Face in the Frost," about 1970, and I loved it. Funny, frightening, could not put it down. Told myself that I gotta read more by this guy.

So here all these years later, I am reading my second book by John Bellairs. And I am really disappointed by it. I will grant you that this book is aimed at an early teen audience. But still some of the characters seemed so cast by formula. There is the young boy, orphaned, living with his grandparents. He is highly intellegant
Jan 02, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
This is billed as the sequel to The Curse of the Blue Figurine but you don't really need to read the first one. It just has the same main characters. It stands alone and the whole Glomis riddle and property would be amazing to see. Great plot especially the suspense of creeping around in the underground passage. Really feels like you're there. Sign of great writing.
Erica Harmon
Feb 01, 2013 Erica Harmon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-by-men
Just want to thank Ann for giving me a John Bellairs before leaving the bookstore all those years ago. No middle reader author compares.
Qt
Oct 25, 2016 Qt rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Denise
May 02, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise. It is a 5th grade reading level and I read it along with one of my 2nd grade students to give her some support with vocabulary, etc. and ended up really enjoying it. I'm guessing is set sometime around the early 1950's so behaviors, language etc. were a little unusual compared to today. Johnny is 12, living with his grandparents. His mother has died and his father in a pilot in the Korean War. Oddly enough his good friend is an elderly professor. The professor, second ...more
scarlettraces
i rememember Bellairs as a writer of children's books that were just on the too side of creepy (actually the House With a Clock in Its Walls, and one that must have been by the same publisher in the same format, because he doesn't seem to have written a book where the cutlery wakes up at night and has dance parties. it also wasn't gothic. the library in my town was small and i was a wuss.)

reading this one, i found it more as if the early 1950s setting was an excuse for the oldfashioned writing t
Daniel
Gothic horror at Bellairs' best. I vacillate between which set of characters I enjoy the most, but Johnny Dixon and the good professor most frequently wind up at the top. This is one of their best adventures and is strengthened by its interesting non-supernatural subplot of Johnny's new friendship and struggles at being without his mother and father. This is one I've read both as the Edward Gorey illustrated edition and a newer one, and the brilliance of Gorey's illustration - even if just the ...more
Zack
Jul 08, 2013 Zack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Synopsis: Johnny Dixon must find the lost will of a rich breakfast cereal magnate before it falls into the wrong hands.

Thoughts: What this book lacks from not having Professor Childermass hanging around the whole time it gains back with the introduction of Fergie: now Johnny Dixon finally has a friend his own age. Lots of sinister secret sorcerers and sneaking out of scout camp in the dead of night and ghostly protectors and a suitably pyrotechnic finish.

Rating: Four Stars. These books are ever
Kris
The book flows well and the lead up to the climax is nicely tense and well executed. Johnny's fears, leaps to conclusions and motivations are thoroughly believable for a 12 year old boy, particularly one who has recently lost his parents- mother is dead and father is away at war. As an adult I find the shorter choppy sentences a bit tiresome in places, but not so much that I couldn't read it.

My only complaint is the time. The book opens in the autumn of 1951, but the first book starts in winter
Kate
Aug 23, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: j, creepy
This time, Johnny Dixon just happens to be at Boy Scout Camp when he might have stumbled across the answer to the mystery of a missing will. The usual creepy black magicky stuff goes on, some nifty puzzles and a little too lickety split sort of ending. One of the nicest parts of this book is how Johnny makes a new friend (Fergie) and how he experiences near-constant worry about his grandmother's illness and his father in the Korean War.

I wish this reissue hadn't replaced the Gorey cover with thi
Arthur
Apr 06, 2013 Arthur rated it it was amazing
Interesting writing. Bellairs is brilliant. Johnny Dixon and young person becomes obsessive about a riddle he feels he knows he will solve but the clues don't add up. For Johnny it may be to late before he can put clues together, by using his strong will power he attempts on his own to solve the riddle and mystery that surrounds the too famous Glomus's last will and testament, and if it actually exists.
Heather Jackson
Feb 05, 2016 Heather Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it, I found it, I green and yellow found it!

I fell in love with this book as a kid. For years, I couldn't remember enough to find it again... just the phrase "a tisket a gasket a will in a wicker basket" that haunted me like Johnny Dixon's troubles haunt him. Now that I've found it again, I'm pleased to say that it is as satisfying as I remembered, and better than the first Johnny Dixon book!
Ben
Nov 09, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Oh man oh man -- John Bellairs: still great. Five stars might be overkill, but I really enjoyed this one. The writing kind of reminds me of a more subdued Roald Dahl, if he were more focused on supernatural Gothic horror, etc. The trademarks are all there: cantankerous old adults, goofy (disgruntled but) friendly characters, bizarre puzzles and mysteries. If this were the comicsverse, I could see really enjoying a Johnny Dixon / Matilda crossover. Just sayin'.
Lisa Kucharski
Sep 22, 2012 Lisa Kucharski rated it really liked it
Discovered this writer by finding a book of his at a relative's summer home in Indiana. A fun series filled with mystery and supernatural powers. I also like the fact that the kid is smart and knows about Latin and poems and such. In this story, Johnnie is under a lot of pressure worrying about loved ones... and he decides to take a chance to help them... but ends up facing a lot of frightening and life-threatening situations.
Kim
Jul 10, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
I loved all John Bellairs books as a kid. I'm working on rereading them. I don't love the Johnny Dixon books as much as the Lewis Barnavelt books because the characters aren't nearly as awesome. But this second book was better than the Curse of the Blue Figurine. The mystery was pretty good and even page-turning in parts. It's disappointing to discover that these books aren't as good as I remember them being. I also miss the Edward Gorey covers.
Lia
Aug 01, 2008 Lia rated it really liked it
I love Bellairs' scary mysteries. I loved them as a child, too. They were just scary enough so I would make a running leap for the bed in the darkened room, but not scary enough to keep me awake. I also feel like he takes his young characters seriously. That even when the young mind is passionately irrational, it is still real.

I read the copy with Edward Gorey's perfect illustrations. Really, he's the perfect choice.
trina
Jul 28, 2010 trina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids with a penchant for the creepy and morbid
Recommended to trina by: my younger self
i love john bellairs because his books are creepy and atmospheric, and funnily child-inappropriate in ways children's books are not today. i bought a ton of these brand-new for a dollar each! at salvation army, and will donate them to my school's library... once i've read them all, of course. hehe. call me a philistine, but i'd rather read john bellairs's children's mysteries than john ashbery's so-called poems anytime! (j.a. being the 'real' stuff i'm also currently reading)
louisa
Nov 01, 2010 louisa added it
Shelves: kids
Bellairs! So strange and strangely paced. Parts fly by in true (even as an adult) terror, darker and more occult than you would expect, while others are about the unexpected but very real and very scary parts of being a kid. Bellairs is decidedly not factory-produced like other children's serials. There are no expected beats or rhythms, and I like him for it. That and the occult glass harmonica!
Jul 12, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is, in my humble opinion, the best of the John Bellairs mysteries. Recommended by a super cool school librarian (don't laugh - all nerdy kids love their librarians), every single thing about it facsinated me as a kid. Atmospheric, intelligent and just scary enough, after finishing this one, I went on to read every Bellairs book I could find. I devoured them all and read each one many, many times.
Tanvir
Jan 16, 2008 Tanvir rated it it was amazing
Summer
What is it about the combination of John Bellairs's writing and Edward Gorey's covers and frontspieces that makes these books still legitimately creepy? Also, pretty much all of his books take place in New England, which is a plus in my book.
Christian
Nov 12, 2013 Christian rated it liked it
Johnny Dixon is sure that he can solve the riddle that will reveal the hiding place of wealthy Mr. Glomus's will - and net Johnny a hefty reward in the bargain. Although his neihgbor proffesor childermass warns him to stay away from the Glomus mansion, Johnny can't resist a challenge.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"When Johnny Dixon searches a deserted mansion to find H. Bagwell Glomus's hidden will, he accidentally stumbles upon a mysterious and terrifying force."

A great mystery paranormal children's novel.
Michael
Apr 25, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
I read this in middle school as a part of a series of the same characters. I remember really liking them. They were intense and scary for an innocent 10 year old.I am going to read some of this series again to see if they might be something my 10 year old will like.
Tracey
Nov 06, 2008 Tracey rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Children's fiction. Mystery/adventure. A decent mystery that should charm kids that are into such things. The story centers mainly on the missing will and not so much on the mummy or the crypt, but the story is appropriately spooky for the month of October.
Brandy
I wanted to love this, never having read John Bellairs before, but... eh. It didn't light my world on fire. The ending didn't address many of the questions I had... I dunno. I'll probably read more, but this sadly didn't wow me.
Marjanne
Nov 09, 2007 Marjanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The second book in the Johnny Dixon series. I was as fun as I expected. This was an interesting story and it was nice to see some more character development, especially for Johnny. My only problem was that the story wrapped up too neatly.
Laurel
Apr 11, 2013 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading this as an adult, I'm impressed by the treatment of anxiety and family issues. And also still pleasantly creeped out by the supernatural gothic novel aspects. Extra points for White Mountains geography and, of course, Edward Gorey illustrations!
  • The Whistle, the Grave, and the Ghost (Lewis Barnavelt, #10)
  • Black and Blue Magic
  • Rising Star (Fame School, #2)
  • Among the Dolls
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • The Way to Sattin Shore
  • Imieniny (Jeżycjada, #12)
  • The Dollhouse Murders
  • Fighting Fit (Angels Unlimited, #6)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Maze: Solve the World's Most Challenging Puzzle
  • Felix, Net i Nika oraz Pułapka Nieśmiertelności (Felix, Net i Nika, #4)
  • One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Vicious Vikings And Measly Middle Ages (Horrible Histories Collections)
John Bellairs (1938–1991) was an American novelist working primarily in the Gothic genre. He is best-known for the children's classic The House with a Clock in its Walls 1973) and for the pathbreaking fantasy novel The Face in the Frost (1969). Bellairs held a bachelor's degree from Notre Dame University and a master's in English from the University of Chicago. He combined writing and teaching f ...more
More about John Bellairs...

Johnny Dixon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Curse of the Blue Figurine (Johnny Dixon, #1)
  • The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (Johnny Dixon, #3)
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (Johnny Dixon, #4)
  • The Eyes of the Killer Robot
  • The Trolley to Yesterday
  • Chessmen of Doom
  • The Secret of the Underground Room (Johnny Dixon, #8)
  • The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie
  • The Hand of the Necromancer (Johnny Dixon, #10)
  • The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (Johnny Dixon, #11)

“There was one big rule in life - the things you worried about never happened, and the things that happened were never the ones you expected. Not that this bit of advice helped Johnny much. It simply meant that he spent more time guessing at what the unexpected disasters in his life would be.” 3 likes