Start by marking “Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids” as Want to Read:
Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids

Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  43 reviews
'Writer Mama' will give stay-at-home mums the encouragement and advice they need to create a successful writing career while raising their children. It covers everything from getting started and finding ideas to actually finding time to do the work.
Published March 1st 2007 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about Writer Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writer Mama

Alyce Wilson
As a write-at-home mom, Christina Katz's book practically jumped off the shelf at me. "Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing career Alongside Your Kids"? That's exactly what I was trying to do. Flipping through it, I felt it might provide some useful info, so I purchased it, making sure to save the receipt to file with my taxes as a business expense.

The purchase was well worth it. While at least half of the information was already familiar to me -- as someone who's been writing for publication in
Rachel McCready-Flora
I read Writer Mama by Christine Katz as part of a month-long writing course this February. Before reading it, I knew practically nothing about what it would take to be a freelance writer.

After reading it:
- I know what I want to write about and how to find audiences for what I have to say.
- I can write a query or cover letter
- I know how to write several different kinds of articles (how-to, list, personal essay, etc.)
- I have a good idea what I need to do do market myself
- I know how to kee
Lara Krupicka
I love this book. It's practical, encouraging and the next best thing to working with Christina Katz herself. Even after several years as a professional journalist, I still refer back to this book to refresh my approach and tackle new types of writing. A must have for any mom who wants to become a writer.
Mercedes Yardley
This book is a wonderful resource, especially for those new to freelance writing. It gives you tips, websites, etc. on how to get the most bang for your buck. Personally, I'm more interested in fiction writing than freelance and it didn't fit my needs. Still, I would recommend this to others.
Trace
Dec 30, 2012 Trace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Johanne
I really loved this book.... it was hugely inspiring... and jam packed full of really practical tips and how-to's...
Sarahlynn Lester
My sister sent me this book for my birthday last fall, and I was appropriately grateful. Such a cool-sounding book. And such a thoughtful gift! In fact, it's exactly the kind of book I want to have but never get around to reading.

Indeed, this was the case. For four months, the book gathered dust on my bedside table. It was on top, right near the front, impossible to miss. I reached over it to select a new novel from the stack behind.

Then I decided to take the plunge. I'll review it! I thought. I
Erin
I tripped across this book at my favorite independent bookstore - Front Street Book Shop - in Scituate Harbor - and it snagged my attention right away. I bought it 2 years ago but I refuse to lend it out - if you are interested, I will buy you your own copy. :) It really is that good.

I bought this book as I was transitioning from a full-time job as a classroom teacher to a work-at-home mom writing curriculum. I love writing, but not necessarily curriculum, so this book gave me some very practic
Terri Schlaiss
A great resource that you can go back to again and again. This author, Christina Katz, give great advice, pertinent information and encouragement without being boring or pretentious. I was given this book in 2011 as a gift and I still enjoy flipping through some of the sections. Great job!
Beth Davis
This book is a fantastic guide foor any beginning writer looking to get started (or seasoned writer looking to sharpen their saw). Christina's informative book provides Mama Writers everywhere with the confidence to get started and be successful.

Since reading this book, I have becme aquainted with Mrs. Katz's online newletter "The Prosperous Writer" which has become one of the most useful items in my "writers toolbox."

Her unique mix of no nonsense advice and step by step instruction coupled wi
missy ward-lambert
This book was okay. Maybe it was better than okay, but it just wasn't very applicable to me. For one thing, it was oriented toward magazine non-fiction writing, which isn't my main interest. And many of the suggestions for finding time would perhaps be more relevant if my daughter was old enough to entertain herself...although I hope that even when she's older, I can generally resist the book's oft-repeated advice to plunk her down in front of the TV while I work. That said, there were a few pie ...more
Carolyn Johnson
Very good basic writing book. Especially liked the time management and small bite ideas.
Kristen R
Though I'm not quite done, I've enjoyed reading Ms. Katz's advice. In a couple of weeks I will start her class in conjunction with this book. I think this book is a great place to start if you are a momma (my spelling) and have a dream of writing.

I have finished reading Writer Mama and it's a good read for any momma wanting to get their writing career started. Though it is geared to start out writing for magazines, writing nonfiction, one who is focused on fiction may not find tips related to yo
Kelly
I'll definitely be purchasing a copy of this book to keep. The advice for starting a freelance writing career is straightforward and practical, especially how to start off small and work your way up to bigger publications. And by doing just the first few exercises in the book, I got a ton of ideas for articles I could write.[return][return]If you're interested in writing fiction, some of the advice will be helpful to you, but in general the focus was on nonfiction freelance writing for magazines ...more
Writer Mama has provided me an avenue into an industry I had only dreamed of entering. Christina Katz has provided everything one needs to know to not only balance a family and writing, but how to identify audience, develop a platform, obtain guidelines and submit an article or query. I am becoming more prolific, goal oriented and confident in my writing. Ms. Katz has changed the trajectory of my career and I am forever grateful.
Rose
This wasn't a horrible book. But I didn't feel it was as relevant to me as I thought it would be. I felt like the author spent all her time telling you to do things but not telling you HOW to do them. Nor did she provide decent references to find out for yourself. Her tips on when to fit writing into your day didn't feel very innovative to me either. Oh well. Onto the next book...
Shante
The "how to" of this book is geared toward mother's desiring to freelance write for magazines, blogs, etc. which is offered in several books. What makes Writer Mama stand out is the tips and tools for managing your writing goals along side motherhood duties. There is not much if any information on fiction writing in this books but it was still worth reading!

Christa
This book really made me see that it was possible for me to pursue my writing ambitions while also raising my two children. I felt motivated and enthusiastic after reading the book and after taking her Writing and Publishing the Short Stuff class and participating in Christina's dream teams I'm well on my way to achieving my writing goals.
Lauren
This book focuses on starting a career as a freelance writer while also mothering/working. Katz's style is friendly and encouraging, and her focus is non-fiction (non-literary) writing for magazines/newspapers. There's a lot of solid, practical advice and references. I'm sure I'll be returning to it often.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jul 07, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mothers with a fledgling writing career
Shelves: ebooks, 2011
I bookmarked twelve items to return to for more study. If you are in her target market, young mothers who want to explore freelance markets which pay, you may find even more items of interest. I was especially interested in the difference between a book concept and a book proposal.
Rose Margaret  Deniz
Practical advice for beginning writers raising a family at the same time; ideal for SAHM's; good information on how to maintain a writing practice and how to get it a paid writing career off the ground. Easy to read if you're short on time and reading while kids are napping, etc.
Teia Blackshear Collier
I credit this book with feeding my mommy brain and giving the encouraging motivation that I was seeking, but also for making the how-to start my freelance career digestible.

I've recommended this book over and over again to moms and non-moms alike.
Cassandra Javier
I may not be a mother and though this book is meant for Writer mamas, I enjoyed it--full of ideas, prompts, and tips as to how to be successful in the land of freelance writing. Plus, the book design and layout are just too cute!
Sue
AS a stay at home mom this bok inspired me to seriously look at writing again as a way to make money and rediscover myself outside of motherhood. I enjoyed it so much I signed up for one of her on-line classes- which was awesome!
Gemma Alexander
This was a really nice starting-from-the-absolute-beginning how-to book. I especially appreciated the section on how to get and use clips. I will probably go back and read sections of this book over and over again.
Maleka
Some good factual advice on how to break into freelance magazine work. But it definitely focuses on mainstream moms living a typical in-this-society life. Good writing exercises, just not for radical mamas.
Lesley
An exceptionally pithy how-to books on launching a freelance career. I am amazed at how much practical, concrete advice and conceptual insight Katz managed to pack into this easily portable book.
Kristen
A terrific resource for writers who happen to be moms. Incredibly detailed and clear, this book has earned prime real estate in my reference section. I know I'll go back to it again and again.
Kristi
Practical, informative, helpful book on how to launch a writing career from home, part-time. Geared to would-be freelance journalists. You don't have to be a mama to learn a lot from this one.
Emma Darragh
This book was the kick in the butt I needed. Filled with inspiring anecdotes and lots of practical advice for writing mothers, this book got me out of my post-NaNoWriMo rut.
Audra
This was an easy read. Has lots of good tips for establishing yourself as a writer while raising little ones. Written mainly for writers who want to freelance.
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • Writing Motherhood: Tapping Into Your Creativity as a Mother and a Writer
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead: Your Words in Print and Your Name in Lights
  • The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency as a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • The Tao of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
191778
Christina Katz is the author of three books from Writer’s Digest: The Writer’s Workout, Get Known Before the Book Deal, and Writer Mama. Her writing career tips and parenting advice appear regularly in national, regional, and online publications. A “gentle taskmaster” over the past decade to hundreds of writers, Christina’s students go from unpublished to published, build professional writing care ...more
More about Christina Katz...
Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform The Writer's Workout: 366 Tips, Tasks, & Techniques from Your Writing Career Coach Author Mama, How I Became A Published Author and How You Can Too Write For Regional Parenting Publications For Fun & Profit: A Step-By-Step Guide For Beginners The Art Of Making Time For Yourself: A Collection Of Advice For Moms