Start by marking “Friends and Lovers” as Want to Read:
Friends and Lovers

Eric Jerome Dickey

Friends and Lovers

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  6,755 ratings  ·  97 reviews
It seems that the newest and long-overdue trend in relationship fiction is the emergence of male authors creating female characters. Author Eric Jerome Dickey brings us two sets of best friends: Leonard and Tyrel, and Debra and Shelby. Leonard meets Shelby. Tyrel meets Debra. The two couples fall in love and challenges abound. Friends and Lovers teaches the reader to appre ...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Recorded Books (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Friends and Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friends and Lovers

Makeeba
This book is titled Friends and Lovers by Eric Jerome Dickey. This book is a fiction. The main theme of the story is that friends can sometimes turn in to lovers but it doesn't mean that things will work out for the best.

The book is about two men and two women Leonard, Tyrel, Debra and Shelby. They all meet at a club and schedule another date to see each other again. Leonard who is an up and coming comedian who’s not really enjoying the single life meets Debra, a shy hard working black woman
African Americans on the Move Book Club
AAMBC Reviews, May 25, 2008

If you ever want to get to know a true artist, why not embrace a writer like Dickey. The characters in this book are so relatable that it is almost like your inside the book. There is a play on this book as well same tittle and I strongly suggest you read this book. You can't say your a true book reader without obtaining this novel.
~*I love Tea*~
Ahh Friends and Lovers, I don't have one wrong word to say about this book. I came to know the characters as my very own friends. I loved the book, beautifully written and masterfully presented. Mr. Dickey you have done it again, all hale the king of Romance.
Lanetta
Friends and Lovers was a sad, but conceptual novel. Eric Jerome Dickey's books always gives a lesson from the evaluation of the book. This lesson from this book shows that you should not take people for granted, or deny their friendship/relationship.
Brandi
I thought that this book was very interesting it was one of the few books I have read by this author and I truly enjoyed each and everyone of the characters.
Esme
Another wonderful work from Eric Jerome Dickey! This book is about love, hate and moving on. It was also a major page turner! Loved it!
Ruby
Feb 18, 2009 Ruby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
A tragic love story. A very good read. Makes you learn not to take the person you love for granted.
Clairissa D
Friends and Lovers is a romance novel about four friends (two girls and two guys) that become romantically involved with one another. The novel basically goes through the up and downs of each relationship in addition to some added mystery and suspense with in the novel to add to the creativity of the novel. What I noticed while reading this novel is that the author used the technique of slowing down the Hot Spot. There are many parts in this book where the characters are engaging in a heated arg ...more
J
(FROM JACKET)When it comes to love, the attraction can be instant. So can the consequences. Ask Leonard and Debra. Ask Tyrel and Shelby. Four friends with so much in common: They're good-hearted and loyal, talented and sane, compliant, human, open to romance-and vulnerable to the complicated state of relations between the sexes while searching for love. Or at least unqualified affection. Either way, their lives are about to change...
In this wise, witty, on-target, and genuinely heartening novel,
T Neff
What a powerful story! It was a page turner from beginning to end. I really enjoyed it. It was emtionally touching. If you like books like this, you should also "Under the Peach Tree" by Charlay Marie.
Mister Riley
The first time I saw this book, I said that I would hear from someone else if it was worth it. Did folks let me have it. When I decided to give this author (E.J.D.) a chance, I did not know that he would awaken a part of my imagination that had me laugh, get upset, ALMOST shed a tear, and embrace the beautiful complexities of black friendships/relationships. This was the first book of his, that led me to go on and read some of his other works. If you want to have a good time, pick this up and a ...more
Rayzin
This book was Fantastic. It was also sad. I ready it for class and fell in love. The characters are wonderful and felt like they were real. When Debra meets Leonard, she makes it clear that if he wants her love, he'll have to produce a ring. Leonard must face that moment when he has to decide what matters most and whether he's ready for the love of a good woman.
Key
I am in love with this book! Hence the 5 star rating. I see a bit of myself in Shelby. I love the sexual and emotional connection between Shel by and Tyrel. The love is genuine and necessary to gravitate the reader. It's one of those love stories that are in need of a second chance. Key points touched upon in this book are; lack of fatherhood and forgiveness!!!
Josephine
I am a HUGE! fan of Eric's even had my books autographed in Trinidad by him just a few months ago!! His writing pulls at my heart strings really difficult to say which one has been my favorite of all of them, I've read so far as I have truly enjoyed each of the ones I've read this far.Difficult to put down one of his books once you've gotten started.
Dorothy Basnight
This is the first book I read by him and I started looking for other books written by him!! The comparison in the 2 couples, 1 going the route marriage and other not, the effect not being offered marriage had on the relationship. Communications is so key!! I cried with the death on a relationship and the death of one of the persons!!
LaTonya
This is another favorite of mine from EJD. The story of love, friendship, betrayal, and tragedy. I couldn't put this book down and lost lots of sleep reading it. This was a great story that deeply touched my heart and made me cry at the end. I will definitely read this book again and I recommend it to everyone.
Brandi Mabry
This book was so captivating. The characters were real and flawed, which I believe made them relatable. The book was amazing and I was able to see the stage-play a few years back and it was amazing as well. I have read this book numerous times. Definitely one worth reading....it's a page turner.
Joyanne8f
This book, is amazing. It keeps you on your toes about event's. It is a ggod book for those who want to fall in love and a taste of what it would be like to fall in love. It is a book, but when you read it you imagen life, it is so realistic.
Elizabeth
Anyone that knows me can attest to the fact that I pore myself into EJD's novels. He writes with so much attention to detail, you'd swear one of these characters is your best friend or next door neighbor.
Melissa
This novel gave me a different perspective on the value of interpersonal relationships. I fell in love with all the characters and could relate to each of them. This one is one of my favourites from EJD.
Kimberly Reese
it a old book i need to read it again
Sherrall
I just finished reading this book, and I was sorry to see it end. This is a hard book to put down. I found myself turning down lunch out with co-workers so I wouldn't lose my reading time. I loved Debra and Leonard. What happened with them was a total surprise. I kept trying to think what comedian he may have been based on. Shelby kind of worked my nerves a little bit. But it was obvious that she and Tyrel were meant for each other. I wanted to punch Richard out myself! It's almost hard to see w ...more
Bryon
This was a good book but it was kind of predictable thee title told it all it was exactly what is was....in this book this woman named debroah is constantly getting herself into only sex filled relationships and she is tired of it so she does not wan to have any more sex into she finds the right guy and marries him....so then she meets this comedian named leonard who she believes is the right guy for her but the fact that she is not going to have sex until marriage and fustrating him..... and th ...more
April Dorris
This is a re-read for me. I discovered Eric Dickey in college. This was the first title that I read and I remember enjoying it. I still have a couple of his books unread on my shelf but I wanted to revisit the first before I moved on to the next. The older me is nothing like the younger me that I was. While I enjoyed the story line, this style of character writing reminded me of all the things I actively chose not to have in my life. Lives are full of drama and some of us seem to attract it more ...more
Lindsay
I love Eric Jerome Dickey and have read almost all of his books. I could tell that this was an early book of his because I thought the writing was just not as polished as his later works have been. As always, his characters are so real and descriptive and had such distinct personalities. There were times I wanted to kill Shelby, but also times when I loved her. I felt that the book got a bit drawn out in the middle and I got a bit bored, hence the 3 star rating, but once the final quarter of the ...more
Winter Rose
Romance, Forgiveness, Love & Loss!
Tiffany
Jun 01, 2014 Tiffany is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
How do I stArt to red the book?
  • A Love of My Own
  • Flyy Girl
  • Married Men
  • Men Cry in the Dark
  • Soulmates Dissipate
  • Disappearing Acts
  • Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made
  • Scenes from a Sistah
Eric Jerome Dickey was born in Memphis, Tennessee and attended the University of Memphis (the former Memphis State), where he earned his degree in Computer System Technology. In 1983, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in engineering.

After landing a job in the aerospace industry as a software developer, Eric Jerome Dickey's artistic talents surfaced, inspiring him to become an actor and a
More about Eric Jerome Dickey...
Cheaters The Other Woman Milk in my Coffee Sister, Sister Chasing Destiny