Start by marking “Knitted Lace of Estonia” as Want to Read:
Knitted Lace of Estonia

Knitted Lace of Estonia

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Combining some of the oldest knitted artifacts in Northern Europe with authentic tips and expert advice, this distinctive guidebook demonstrates a wide range of knitting knowledge. Featuring 14 heirloom-quality projects, this savvy reference includes traditional lace-knitting techniques such as the starburst, twig, peacock, and lily of the valley patterns. Modern variation...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Interweave Press (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Knitted Lace of Estonia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitted Lace of Estonia

Margie
Nov 03, 2012 Margie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intermediate to advanced knitters
Well written and researched. Not as extensive as The Haapsalu Shawl: A Knitted Lace Tradition From Estonia, but more affordable. (The Haapsalu book is $75 and doubles as a coffee table book.) I tried one of the patterns and found the instructions very easy to follow. I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to commit to making an entire shawl, but it's nice to know that I have the directions to make something absolutely lovely.
Raedl
I'm on my fourth pattern from this book. Each finished project has gotten me rave reviews. The scarves are both beautiful and practical. And the included history sections and individual designs make this one of my all time favorites.
Ginger
My friend, Karen, laughed after she got my first update after I had finally gotten around to adding my knitting library to GoodReads. I'm sure she'll laugh even more the next time I see her, for here is my latest new knitting book which I didn't need, but desperately wanted. I'm so glad I finally have it to leaf through and pour over relishing each beautiful pattern instead of scrolling through on the preview function on Amazon.com and trying to copy the charts on graph paper. Having the book is...more
Jean
It's a beautiful book which gives you a brief history of Estonia Knitted Lace tradition as well as a quick refresher on techniques used in this book.

The patterns are primarily lace shawls that are beautiful. They have an ethereal quality that is very delicate and very feminine.
penny
Nancy Bush always does a nice job with her books. I love that Knitted Lace of Estonia is a very well researched and documented history of a technique and cottage industry that is in danger of disappearing. I love that there are instructions and techniques for adapting the included stitch dictionary to your own designs. I love that while square shawls are the most traditional, both triangle and rectangular shawls are also included. I love that we're reminded of the difference between knitted lace...more
Raven
I simply love this book. It was my first knitting book and until then I just could purl and knit. The author makes it very easy to follow the instructions, even if I struggled a little bit with an edge of a stole it was a pleasure to make this beautiful things. I already knitted five pieces (one for me and four for my family) and we all enjoy them a lot. Thank you Nancy.
Marilyn
I recently signed up for a class in Estonian Lace Knitting. It is scheduled for the September 2014 Knitters' Day Out. This book provides the history of Estonia Lace knitting, Estonian stitch dictionary, and various lace patterns. This is a wonderful book.
Patricia Bowne
A good crafting book is more fun than any other kind of book -- because the fun just begins when you open it, and goes on long after you've put it down again. This is one of the books that migrates all over my house, depending on where I happen to be sitting when I suddenly want one of the patterns, and the book that I search for most often. I've made three of the shawls from it and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. The shawls came out much prettier than the pictured examples, whic...more
jahiebert
I blame this book for my addiction to lace knitting. I've made 3 Peacock Tail and Leaf scarves in the last year and a half. I'm sure I'll be giving this book a good workout in the years to come.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Oct 21, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: advanced knitters
This book is in three parts. The first part is a history of the tradition. The second part contains directions to make several projects. The third part is a stitch dictionary for designing one's own projects.

Whether or not I ever make a shawl from this book, I appreciate the well-researched history lessons and also the fact that some of the patterns have been adapted for more modern techniques.

The dictionary of lace stitch pattern graphs in the back is worth hte price of the book.

My public libra...more
Georgina
As a beginner knitter ("How do I yarn over?"), the real treasure is the DVD included in the back of the book. Nancy Bush shows you, step-by-step how to do a tiny sampler of lace...including how to do the little "nupps" (bumps)! Without that DVD I would have been shy about learning lace so early in my knitting education. Excellent tutorial!
Amy Qualls
This is delightful - good photos, charts, and instructions. I'm not sure I'm going to attempt a shawl like this, but I came away from this book feeling like I got a good explanation of the style and several major motifs. Exactly as I hoped.
Delia
I love this book. The patterns are incredible, the research is extensive, it is just pure pleasure.
I WILL master lace and I WILL knit for my daughter the Crown Prince Square Shawl in hopes she'll use it at her wedding in the far, far, far future.
Jen
So far I've done two projects from this book. This history of this art form is lovely.

Yes I know, officially...I didn't "read" this book. But considering I'm planning on doing more of the projects...I should get some points.
Tammy
I LOVE this book! I will have to wait till there's a used copy at the book store, because it is so beautiful and informative about one of my most favorite subjects, and I HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK! Ah, the tragedy.
Erin
I LOVE!! I'm making a scarf from this and I hope to finish it this week!
*update* finished it and it turned out beautifully. Used Manos wool for a less traditional look.
Deb C
I've made one of the project and have used one of the lace patterns in the back as part a hat. I wish to start another project but don't know when I will get to it.
Michelle
So pretty! There's a good history of Estonian lace, beautiful patterns that are well written and charted, and a stitch dictionary for creating your own work.
Amberjean
Excellent technical detail on stitches and construction, a couple of lovely patterns, pretty much Nancy Bush is a knitting rockstar.
Very informative, and truly the most amazing patterns. Not nearly as complicated as they at first appear.
Miss Mouse
I would love to knit practically every shawl in this book! I might have to buy this book!
Patricia
I don't own this book yet, but I loved it and would like to add it to my library.
bluetyson
Knitted Lace of Estonia: Techniques, Patterns, and Traditions by Nancy Bush (2008)
Patti
haven't knit anything from this book, but there are sure nice patterns presented
Leisa
Love the lace of Estonia, wonderful patterns and a very enjoyable book.
Tara
Haven't knitted a pattern from it yet, but I love the history!
Ann
Mar 31, 2013 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts

Check this one out from the library. Fascinating, but not a keeper.
Emily
This stuff is hard! Gorgeous, though.
Gowriting
love it but I can not knit it
Melody
Beautiful book.
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Folk Shawls
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Lace Style
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Aran Knitting: New and Expanded Edition
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
Knitting Vintage Socks: New Twists on Classic Patterns Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear Knitting on the Road Folk Knitting in Estonia: A Garland of Symbolism, Tradition and Technique