His Majesty, the Prince of Toads

His Majesty, the Prince of Toads

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Sometimes it takes more than a kiss to change a toad into a handsome prince.

When Captain Lucas Deverall returns from the Peninsular War to succeed to his deceased brother's title, he grudgingly decides to take back his wife. But even before he learns the circumstances of his inheritance, he encounters her at a New Year's gala. Shock sets in as he realizes the most beautifu...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Awe-Struck (first published October 20th 2006)

Lori Lyn
I so enjoyed reading Delle Jacobs' "His Majesty, The Prince of Toads". It was a moving, passionate and fun story of Sophie, a war orphan and the abandoned bride of wounded war captain and viscount, Lord Lucas Deverall. Both suffered before and since they last saw each other six years previously, on their unconsummated wedding night - and each has matured after that disastrous incident. Both Lucas and Sophie hold painful personal secrets they fear to reveal to another living soul. However, each n...more
Caro
This book was quite entertaining. I bought it on a whim without really caring what it was.
His Majesty, the Prince of Toads was the story about Lord Deverill and his hated wife, Sophie, who apparently forced him into this marriage he hadn't wanted. Sadly, on his return from the war, Lord Deverill is informed about his financial issues... and discovers his wife's fortune, that only she can touch.
Now, the infamous playboy of a viscount has to fight for the attention of his angry wife, who sees the...more
Kathie (katmom)
Loved how this started. The gorgeous Captain wanting to meet the beautiful lady at the ball. His surprise, and anger, over the fact that she is his WIFE, who he has not seen in six years, was fun to watch.

There was quite a bit of miscommunication, which I would have wished edited out. I wasn't fond of how many times we read about their issues. I got it the first two times, didn't need to read it over and over again.

But, I do like to see a couple learn to give in and forgive. And Lucas and Sophie...more
Ambrosia
Lady Wesley
Interesting story; good characters. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it.
Rose May
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

I love those stories where the husband must pursue his wife - but I generally prefer that he do so well. Although it was a fun courtship, it was very hard to feel the love blossoming on either side. I admit myself to being confused as to when our hero, Lucas Deverall’s, affections turned from being money-motivated to being love-motivated. I found it rather difficult to un...more
Danielle
Kelly Ann
I enjoyed this love story, again the author really focused on the characters with a lot of interaction between them and I like that. I didn't like it as well as The Mudlark but it was still a good read and as excellent way to pass the evening. I liked both characters but I do wish that Sophia had given over just a little bit more here and there. It was not a disappointing romance in the least, it just took both of them a little bit longer to get there then I would have initially thought. The sup...more
Maggi Andersen
Delle Jacobs did a good job with this light Regency romance. Plenty of excellent historical detail and a wounded, charismatic hero, although the heroine seemed mean at times. We learn why later as the well thought out plot unfolds, but for some of the book I wasn't entirely there for her. I liked the way the relationship was worked through as they developed feelings for one another, I just wish everyone wasn't inclined to snicker. I found much to like in this and would read another of her books....more
Cinnamon Girl
After several duds from the freebies selection, I got hooked in this one. Yep, the hero was most definitely a stubborn ass, but the moment of his realizing his fault and her innocence was sweet.

(view spoiler)

Sophie did have a very bad time as a child. At 13 she sees her parents murdered and thinks it's her fault. Then she was nearly murdered herself. To me a lot of her behavior was logical considering her trauma.
Joy
A marriage-in-trouble Regency, but so well done. Both hero and heroine feel they have been trapped into an unwanted marriage; after years apart, they attempt a reconciliation that cannot be successful until they both face the horrors of their war-scarred pasts. I really liked this book, it had just the right mix of tormented characters, a tear-jerking emotional workout, and happy ending despite everything.
Delle Samples
Delle Jacobs writes the cutest stories!! You do not want to miss out on any of her books. They will hold your interest and make you smile!!
Jenny
A fairy story, not really worth reading.
Sylvia

I purchased this while on the free list, and found a new favorite author. This book was lovely and fun! There was a great deal of mystery and romance and heartache, but also parts that made me laugh out loud. I couldn't put it down. The characters were believable and engaging and the writing was smooth and well edited. I would definitely recommend it to a friend.
Stacie
It was a good story but it kept going on and on with all the misunderstandings and negative assumptions. It got annoying. Then finally the happy came and the book just ended abruptly. I would like to read more of the happy! The same thing happen in the last book I read by this author so I'm not sure if I'll read more from her. Happy reading anyway!!
Kimberlee
First thing this was a free read on Amazon. It has a really great plot line, but somewhere in the translation it lost it spark. I would be reading along and I would feel all these emotions, then BAM I was like really where is this going. But with that said it's not unreadable. and It killed an afternoon.
Michele Lacroix
this was another freebee and I did enjoy it. I liked the feisty Sophie and how she managed her toad of a husband. I also liked the toad of a husband who believed himself wronged. He, was a really bully, I don't like bullies. But he did have some redeeming qualities.
Tara
Although the book hit home a few times including a husband away at war, there were a few discrepancies throughout the book that I couldn't get past. Overall, I enjoyed the book. The characters were well formed and the ending clever.
Kyra Dunst
What a wonderful romance! I love the book that resulted from the notion of the frog prince. The characters were deep, and by the end, I felt like rooting for them both. If you love a good romance, you won't be disappointed with this book.
Avey Shannon
This Regency romance was a very enjoyable read. The historical references of this time period were very well written with all of the characters believable. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends.
Layssa Hart
Read it, read it, read it. This is a great read with wonderfully real, flawed characters - a hero blindsided by reality and a heroine who makes her Prince Charming really work for his happy ever after.
Vonnie Alto
My all time favorite Delle Jacobs book! Superbly crafted! A finely executed work of art! Flawless! A perfect read! The author masterfully utilize description, voice, and seduction. The TOAD reigns!
Sylvia
this book gets 2.5 stars...

Started off pretty good but the main characters pride and stubborn attitude made me want to choke her by the end of the book...
Paty Jager
I'm not a fan of Regency set stories but I like that this one didn't over "show" the Regency setting and I enjoyed the characters' growths.
Beebs
4.5 really. Every so often, there's a wonderful gem hidden among the Amazon freebies. This book is one, couldn't put it down.
Gwen Hayes
A STEAL for .99 Kindle version. A very enjoyable read.
Kathy
Free Book - deleted from Kindle
~Anita~
The ice skating scenes were fun.
liirogue
Pretty good fluffy historical romance.
Alicia
Absolutely annoying heroine.
  • To Catch A Spinster (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #1)
  • Twice a Rake
  • Courting His Countess
  • Lord of the Abbey
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • Lucien's Fall
  • The Nude
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint Of Seven Dials, #1)
  • Highland Song (The Highland Brides, #4.5)
  • Her Husband's Harlot (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • Sweet Surrender
  • Passion's Tide
  • One True Love
  • Mine, All Mine
  • My Lord Wicked
  • With this Kiss
  • Secrets of Midnight
I write write write. Sometimes I travel. Then I write some more. And I have a great family who understand that I write write write.
More about Delle Jacobs...
Loki's Daughters Faerie Fire Dance The Mudlark Siren