Start by marking “The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote, #8)

The Highland Fling Murders (Murder, She Wrote #8)

Jessica Flecther and a group of her friends from Cabot Cove, Maine, take off for the British Isles and end up at a castle in Scotland. it would be a great vacation--except for the ghost. And the murders.
Published April 1st 1997 by Signet Book

To ask other readers questions about The Highland Fling Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highland Fling Murders

Karol
Nov 18, 2009 Karol rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Chelsea
Dec 25, 2012 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 13 and up
NOTE: This book is good to read around Halloween. It is scary enough without being a horror book for those out there, like me, who don't like horror stories.
Susan
Oct 23, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books. Lighthearted and entertaining.
Christine
Jul 23, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, movies-tv, travel
Emmy
Mar 13, 2013 Emmy rated it it was ok
This one was just okay for me. I will start off by saying that the author really has no clue what London or Scotland are like, not the differences between them.

There are a lot of issues with the plot, besides it being *boring*, this is one of the most boring, uninspiring books in the series.

To start the beginning has a totally unrealistic scene involving the tower of London. I'll avoid spoilers, but it involves situations that are *not* going to happen at the tower of London, let alone in Londo
Jason DeGroot
Aug 18, 2008 Jason DeGroot rated it did not like it
Recommended to Jason by: Hillary Grice
Shelves: crime-mystery, 2008
Spoilers in this review. Blech. I didn't think I'd like this one anyway, so it wasn't a surprise to find that I didn't. I've been spoiled by the works of Nevada Barr and Sue Grafton, and you can't help but compare those strong female detectives with the weak WEAK characterization of Jessica Fletcher. The dialogue is ridiculously hackneyed and the characters are written amateurishly and in some cases ridiculously. For instance, when Jessica is at the Tower of London to witness a hostage stand-off ...more
R.
Sep 08, 2016 R. rated it really liked it
Personally, I liked this book very much because of the unrequited romance between Jessica and George Sutherland amidst a murder mystery involving Sutherland’s Castle located in gloomy, yet picturesque rural Scotland. And Jessica was certainly “up to par” in using her sleuthing instincts to digest every clue. Unfortunately, I guessed WHY the murder happened early on in the book; but fortunately, I didn’t grasp WHO it was until the last chapter or two, which made the ending of this story a truly p ...more
Daniel Devereux
Jun 13, 2016 Daniel Devereux rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
The Highland Fling Murders has been the Murder, She Wrote book I've been looking forward to. Ever since George invited her back to Wick I've been wanting to jump forward in Jessica's story. To be honest I am slightly disappointed, I wish she and George had spent more time together. Maybe in a later book that'll happen. This book also introduces a half dozen or so Cabot Cove inheritance. I find that exciting because I like reoccurring characters. To know that there is a chance we'll see these cha ...more
Harry
Jul 28, 2015 Harry rated it it was ok
I have heard people say this is the best Donald Bain MSW book. I disagree. For a murder mystery, very little sleuthing goes on. A body is found, and the characters continue their holiday in a perfectly happy pattern. The beginning in London had me enthralled...but it was like a little episode of it's own; nothing else in the book had anything to do with it. It was a satisfying read, but not a traditional MSW book. There was hardly any cloak and dagger activity. People kept getting injured and at ...more
Isaiah Vianese
Mar 07, 2016 Isaiah Vianese rated it really liked it
Donald Bain's Murder, She Wrote novels are consistently cozy and satisfying. This is one of best of the bunch. The central mystery is well plotted and paced. There's even a ghost and some sexual tension. Recommended for cozy mystery fans.
Anita
Feb 20, 2014 Anita rated it really liked it
I loved this story. It had great suspense and mystery. The one thing that wasn't clear to me was the ghost. Jessica stated that it was a figment of her imagination. That part to me was unbelievable.
Paul Lunger
Apr 20, 2012 Paul Lunger rated it it was ok
This 1997 installment in the "Murder, She Wrote" series takes our mystery writer to Scotland & the village of Wick where we have ghosts & of course murder. Bain gives us a chance to spend time with a few of the overseas characters (especially George Sutherland) that he's introduced in the past. The story itself really isn't anything extraordinary & an early scene in London really doesn't do anything for the plot either. If anything this is just a bit of sub-standard storytelling for ...more
Hannah
May 03, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The series can be hit or miss, but this earlier installment was entertaining.
Erwin Beker
Nov 01, 2014 Erwin Beker rated it it was amazing
one of the best books in the series.
Mr bain is a great writer.
Suzanne
Jul 09, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it
Fun memories of London!
Now, I need to visit Scotland (w/out the murders!)
Michelle
Jun 05, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery.
Sue
Jan 27, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed being at Sutherland's Wick, Scotland family castle with regulars from Cabot Cove!
Geri
Mar 21, 2014 Geri rated it liked it
This is pretty light reading.
A little more romance for Jess
and George in this edition.
Sherri Smith
Aug 22, 2015 Sherri Smith rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Jessica Fletcher mysteries thus far!!
Stephanie
Oct 08, 2015 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This one has Jessica visiting George Sutherland at his home in Scotland. I didn't enjoy this book as much as previous ones on several levels. However, I will continue the series. The mystery itself was good, but I found the Cabot Cove crew to be rather a rude bunch.
Sallie
Oct 22, 2008 Sallie rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I always enjoyed these tv shows, so I thought I'd see what one of the books was like. I enjoyed it, but I had some quibbles with renaming of some of the characters and having sheriff Mort saying "Ayuh" - he wasn't from Maine, so he shouldn't be using Maineisms IMHO.
Kristin Stone
Oct 25, 2013 Kristin Stone rated it really liked it
As usual, a fun Murder, She Wrote read. I love that these mysteries are exciting without being gruesome. The characters are charming, and the keep you interesting in what's happening to them. I have never been disappointed in a Murder, She Wrote mystery!
Stacey Woods
Jul 24, 2012 Stacey Woods rated it did not like it
This is - I'm sorry to say - the worst book I've ever read. The dialogue is terrible, and Jessica Fletcher is nothing like the woman she is in the TV show - just shows how awesome Angela Lansbury is I suppose. Please avoid this book if you value your sanity!
Nicole Bennett
May 05, 2016 Nicole Bennett rated it it was ok
Finally finished. Not my favorite.
Cindy
May 12, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: murder-she-wrote
I love this series. It is like bubble gum, fun and chewy and totally non complicated. I enjoy the characters and this setting in Scotalnd with all the Galic words was like taking a little trip.
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: british-mystery
it is what it is - a book written like the tv show. i happen to like it. others might not. light, cozy mystery category taking place in the norther highlands
Sarah Jowett
Feb 26, 2013 Sarah Jowett rated it it was amazing
Still love these books... a very nice change from the typical thrillers of today that try to shock with more brutal crimes than just a good story.
April
Jul 31, 2013 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The time of my beach/summer reading is coming to a close, but how I do love a nice, easy read on a rainy afternoon.
Alysonjt
Apr 10, 2016 Alysonjt rated it liked it
I love this series. This book was not my favorite, though, since ghost stories are not my "thing."
Barbz
Aug 22, 2015 Barbz rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, favorites
I loved this one! Such a good mystery and it really embraces the Scottish atmosphere.
The Women's Myste...: #8 The Highland Fling Murders 1 5 Aug 09, 2013 11:46PM
Mystery 1 4 Feb 27, 2008 12:08PM
  • Murder, They Wrote (Includes: Aurora Teagarden)
  • Words With Fiends (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • How to Write a Children's Book and Get It Published
  • Christmas Cake
  • Murder Talks Turkey (Gertie Johnson, #3)
  • Highlights to Heaven (Bad Hair Day Mystery, #5)
  • The Lies of Fair Ladies (Lovejoy, #15)
  • File M for Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #3)
  • Skating on the Edge (Rebecca Robbins, #3)
  • Moon Over Madeline Island
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies (The Darling Dahlias #2)
  • September Mourn (Bed-and-Breakfast, #11)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)

Jessica Fletcher (born Jessica Beatrice MacGill, and writes under the initialed J.B. Fletcher) is a fictional character from the US television series Murder, She Wrote.

In keeping with the spirit of the TV show, a series of official original novels have been written by American ghostwriter Donald Bain and publi
More about Jessica Fletcher...

Murder, She Wrote (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • Gin & Daggers (Murder, She Wrote, #1)
  • Manhattans & Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #2)
  • Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote, #3)
  • Brandy and Bullets (Murder, She Wrote, #4)
  • Martinis & Mayhem (Murder, She Wrote, #5)
  • A Deadly Judgment (Murder, She Wrote, #6)
  • A Palette for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #7)
  • Murder on the QE2 (Murder, She Wrote, #9)
  • Murder in Moscow (Murder, She Wrote, #10)
  • A Little Yuletide Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #11)