Start by marking “How Did They Do That?: Wonders of the Far and Recent Past Explained” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
How Did They Do That?:...

Caroline Sutton

How Did They Do That?: Wonders of the Far and Recent Past Explained

The totally satisfying answers to more than 100 questions that drive normal people - not to mention infomaniacs and trivia buffs - crazy.

- Questions about matters great and small, from ancient times to yesterday.

- Illustrated with illuminating technical drawings and unusual vintage photographs.

How did they spend $40 million making Heaven's Gate?
How did they decide the l

Published February 1st 1984 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about How Did They Do That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Did They Do That?

Stephanie Turner
Great facts

Things I never knew, things that I did know, and things odd. Liked the way you could quickly read a fact and go on to a new fact.
Benjamin
May 24, 2010 Benjamin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Meh. There are better books than this for trivia lovers.
Shelves: read-2010-06
My greatest criticism of How Did They Do That? is that it is... irregular in the quality of it's component articles (e.g., the article on Schliemann's discovery of Troy was poorly researched, whereas comparable articles on the construction of the Eiffel Tower and Stonehenge were quite good, I thought), but I did learn several new things that I'd be interested in reading about further (like the Baader-Meinhoff gang story). Also, it is really hard to take Sutton seriously when her answers are shor ...more
Ronnie Cramer
A nice assortment of questions and answers that range from the filming of 'Heaven's Gate' to the discovery of radium. My major complaint is that many of the chapters could have used another paragraph at the end putting the subject in historical context and/or explaining its' continued significance. I often found myself turning the page to read 'the rest of the story' only to find we had moved on to the next topic. Written in the 1980s, which means that some of the information is slightly out of ...more
David Ward
Mar 07, 2014 David Ward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trivia buffs
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
How Did They Do That? Wonders of the Far and Recent Past Explained by Caroline Sutton (Hilltown 1984)(032.02) is written in the "Straight Dope" genre; it asks and answers questions which may or may not have puzzled the reader. The difference in this volume versus the "Straight Dope" is that this volume answers many questions that do not interest the reader. It appears to be well-researched, however, and well edited. My rating: 5/10, finished 3/7/14.
Cindy
I admit it...I am pathologically nosy. I don't believe in rhetorical questions, and spend crazy amounts of time looking up information to questions I or others have about...well, pretty much anything. A book like this is right up my alley. It tells the whens, whos, hows, and even whys of dozen of inventions and discoveries. Anybody with a brain for facts or trivia, or is just an insufferable know-it-all (like me)will absorb this info like a thirsty man absorbs beer.
Andy Scott
This book is a nice pick-up/set-down type, since it is a collection of short articles describing the history of various events, inventions, and situations. I found it generally pretty interesting, although I'm guessing some of the facts are a little out-of-date, due to new research in some of the areas addressed. Good bathroom material, if you're into that sort of thing.
Barbara Morgan
Nov 30, 2016 Barbara Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

You should buy this grand informational book! The book features many questions you might have, for example - how did they discover radium?, how did they build the Great wall of China?, and etc. I Would recommend this book to a friend.

Barbara Bertino
Nov 01, 2016 Barbara Bertino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of how they did that stories. Gives a lot of history of how things happened. Good read
SmarterLilac
Jan 02, 2010 SmarterLilac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fun book is a trivia maven's dream (despite the fact that a lot of its content is out of date now.)
Cheryl
Sep 25, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: trivia fans
This book has some long-winded explanations (wayy too much more than I wanted to know) about some things, but overall it was really interesting.
Alan Beggerow
Alan Beggerow rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Lordoftheonionrings
Lordoftheonionrings rated it liked it
May 22, 2012
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
May 10, 2011
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2007
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Patricija
Patricija rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
May 31, 2012
Mark Meiss
Mark Meiss rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Roger Bailey
Roger Bailey rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2015
Tony Servies
Tony Servies rated it really liked it
May 27, 2017
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Annie
Annie rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Al Dockus
Al Dockus rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2016
King
King rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2009
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016