Start by marking “Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals” as Want to Read:

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Year after year, we lose many youth to the enticements and sophistries of the world. As a bishop, counselor, and parent. Kevin Hinckley has watched the painful process of rebellion occur over and over as he has worked to help those who are scarred by sin come back. From a foundation of gospel-based concepts and clinical experience, he identifies things parents can do to av ...more
Published June 17th 2008 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Parenting the Strong-Willed Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting the Strong-Willed Child

Janet
I loved this book and I will continue to go back and re-read it. I do wish it had a different title, though. While this book does offer help in parenting a strong-willed child, it's really for parenting any child and I think many who could be helped by this book will pass it over because they don't have a Strong-Willed Child.

Hinckley does a great job of demonstrating our own need, as parents, to make changes before we can expect any change to happen with our children. I really love his whole fa
Don
This is a good book from a Mormon auther to mostly a Mormon reader. I particularly enjoyed the information about why individuals rebel or behave badly. The book ends encouraging parents to submit their will to Christ and in turn enjoy the blessings and benefits that come from that as evident in their childrens lives.
Rebecca
This is the 2nd book I've read by Kevin Hinckley. I really like his style of writing. This book is so much more than the title reads. That's the reason I liked it so much. There is a lot to discover about who we are in relationship to our children - and for everyone that we associate with for that matter.

If you need or want counsel of dealing with a child - young or adult even - then this book has a great approach.

It's not a "feel good" book. Neither is it a "psych out the child" or "belittle
Sally
Dec 07, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read
Shelves: parenting, theology, own
That "I'm on page..." feature does not work for me. :) I read the table of contents first, peruse the index, then read the forward/preface/chapter 1. That inevitably leads me back to the toc, and index, then a chapter in the middle, then to several references. Then back to the beginning, then perhaps the last chapter, then back to the middle. I guess I process information differently than the author supposes I might....

Chapter one explores the Premortal Rebellion. Rebellion in mortality is nothi
Cherene
I often lament that there is no manual for how to parent teenagers. I often feel unsure of the decisions I make as a parent. Well this book is a huge help! It is written from an LDS perspective, and incorporates gospel principles into a parenting manual. I started implementing some of the things I learned from this book as I was reading it, and noticed a positive change right away in my relationship with my teenage son, and in the whole family dynamic. The first few chapters are interesting, but ...more
Lisa
This book surprised me. I thought it would be a "how to" book with examples and "to do" lists. It was but not in the usual way. It really pushed me to examine myself and where I am at on my spiritual journey as a person first, THEN as a parent. While I wish I had this book when my kids were younger, I don't know if I would have appreciated the concepts presented as much then as I do now as a more mature spiritual being. I have discovered that I am the barrier between myself and God and that I ha ...more
Aimee
This is my new favorite parenting book. If you are LDS and looking for a faith-based approach to parenting difficult children, this book is a great choice. (The other must-have is Christlike Parenting by Glenn Latham.) Hinckley actually spends most of the book talking about rebellion, its causes and its spiritual ramifications. As I read, I found myself identifying some of my own personality traits in there, which is making this book as useful for my own personal growth as it is for my parenting ...more
Kristen
I read this book twice. The first time I skipped through to find all of the parts that were important for me at that very moment. I needed a little peace and a few answers, so I read the chapters to help me through.

The second time I read the entire book through. The basic psychology was amazingly profound and any parent, with any kind of child, would gain a lot of incite into who they are personally and how to be a better parent by reading this book. I think I will be a better mother to all of m
Tina
Jul 17, 2008 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: for-me
I love this book! Having known the author and his children for several years, I felt confident that this book would be of value. Afterall, he did a great job with his own family! Additionally, the author and his wife helped me through their support and encouragement to survive a stage when I had 3 kids all under the age of 5.

I think this should be a MUST read for all parents! It really has fantastic advice for all parents, not just those of us who have a strong-willed child. I really truly wish
Amber
I loved this book. The one complaint I do have is that the title of the book is misleading. This book is appropriate for any parent or youth leader, whether dealing with a strong-willed child or not. He includes great insight into the scriptures and how to parent by learning from examples in the scriptures as well as from our Heavenly Father. He explains some of the strategies that Satan uses to mislead our youth, which are no different from those he used in our premortal life. I have already ap ...more
Hunybe
This book caught my eye at the bookstore but I passed it up. A week later, after multiple run ins with my own strong willed child, I went back to get it. This is not your typical parenting guide. The advice was very timely for me, and I really want to institute some changes in my parenting based on some of its ideas. The problem is that parenting is a team sport..and my hubby hasn't felt as urgent in his need to read this book. My suggestion would be to read it with your spouse, then you can hav ...more
Teresa
I've never been so interested in a "parenting" book. Helpful for any parent, not just those parenting "strong willed children", this gave me so many things to think about regarding parenting styles, discipline, children's personalities, and ways to teach better as a parent to help children become capable adults, all with a gospel perspective. I wish I'd known much of this eariler, but am very grateful I have it as resource now. I just finished reading it and now I'm going back to chapter 1 and s ...more
David Hinckley
Jun 22, 2008 David Hinckley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
Shelves: leisure-reading
It's a great book that's a really interesting combination of gospel insight and pragmatic ideas. At times, the insights into parenting delve into really profound gospel subjects. Other times, they respond to current psychology or social trends. Recommended for any parents, but some of the chapters could really benefit a much wider audience.

And yes, I'm biased because it was written by my dad. But hey, it's a good book!
Lkohn
Don't let the title fool you. This book is about every child, not just challenging ones, and it applies to children of all ages. Every LDs parent and youth leaders should read it.

Its simply the best parenting book I've read with a LDS gospel perspective. You'll look at stories in the Book of Mormon in an entirely new light.

Not one for someone who is looking for a how to manual. This book teaches principles.
Lenita
Sep 29, 2009 Lenita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents with strong willed children
Although I don't have a "prodigal" child right now, I still feel like this book had a lot to offer me. It was great to read a parenting book from an LDS perspective. I agreed with almost everything he had to say. It containted a lot of useful things to keep in mind as my children grow up. I will probably like to read it again as my kids get older, as it was mostly geared to LDS parents with troubled teens.
Amy
A MUST read for ANYONE that works with children or has children. This blows the socks off of any other parenting book I have read. It is geared toward the LDS parent, Bishopric or youth leader but his counsel is beyond limits and will teach you things you never knew you did not understand. He takes simple concepts and opens them up to life changing shifts. This is a book that I will read again and again.
Amber
I loved this book. I think no matter where you are in life - single, married, children, no children, adult children, etc... there is something you can gain from this book. While some is review of what you may already know, there were moments of powerful insight and understanding. I highly recommend this book. I plan I reading it again and taking notes and writing my thoughts and feelings as I go along.
Alyssa
I could go on for days about how this book as helped me create a better home and a better way to parent. I love this book. It has become my parenting bible. I have this thing marked up and tabbed and flagged and highlighted. This book is also not just for strong-willed children but for all types. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a bit of help.
Erin
May 20, 2009 Erin added it
Ok after reading some reviews from other people that read this I decided to go ahead and try to read it. I just skipped a few chapters with the intent to read over them later. So far it's pretty interesting although I am not convinced yet it's going to help me with my young children just yet.

Still haven't read all of it but will get to it soon.
Karen
This is just a great, gospel-oriented parenting book for parents of any kind of child. It touches on the spirit of rebellion, discipline, and celebrating differences in our children as well as mankind in general. It also has a very good section on marriage and relationships. A good one to read and then keep on hand for reference.
Stacey
I had a hard time sticking with this book as it was building its foundation but once I got to the meat of the book, I really enjoyed it. It was particularly insightful to some of the things that we struggle with as parents and I hope to be able to broaden my perspective and implement a few changes.
Lashaun
This book is for any/every parent who wants their children to make good choices (all of us, right?)! We are told that the scriptures hold answers to every problem we may face, this book shows us how. I'm not even halfway through the book and totally love and highly recommend it!
Lacey
This was a well written helpful book. I like how he lays the foundation of where rebellion started (pre-existence), and how to prevent rebellion in our children through teaching the atonement. I'm glad to have read it while my children are still young.
Jackie
May 17, 2010 Jackie added it
This book has been inspirational not only for a parent-child perspective, but also as a personal individual perspective in strengthening my own self in becoming closer to God. I appreciated the examples, quotes and topics explored in the book.
Cauleen
This has taken me a while because I have read and reread most of it. It is helpful in many practical ways. You begin reading it with someone else in mind and discover we are all our Heavenly Father's strong willed children.
Stanley Hall
I don't have teenagers yet so I haven't gotten to apply all these concepts in my own life. But I think overall it's a good book. I've utilized some of the concepts in my counseling with teenagers and parents.
Marci
this is an odd choice for me i know, but it is facinating to me and right on the money about our relationships with others and God. I would recommend it to anyone, whether you have children or not.
Cheri
This book takes a different approach to parenting, I am rethinking the way I discipline. The author suggests changes you can make in your life that help you be a better parent.
Shantell
This book is so helpful for LDS parents, it helps you help your children learn to look at their actions and set their course. I love the spirit of this book, and the gospel base.
Heather
I enjoyed reading this book more than I thought I would. It's insightful and helpful. At least it made me feel better about being a parent after I read it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Christlike Parenting: Taking the Pain Out of Parenting
  • Mothering with Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family
  • Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life
  • Being the Mom: 10 Coping Strategies I Learned by Accident Because I Had Children on Purpose
  • When You Can't Do It Alone
  • Spiritually Anchored in Unsettled Times
  • What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child
  • The Potentially Sane Mother's Guide to Raising Young Children: Nearly 100 Activities and Parenting Ideas to Help You Fell Confident and in Control (Mo
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • The Cost of Winning: Coming in First Across the Wrong Finish Line
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • 25 Mistakes LDS Parents Make and How to Avoid Them
  • He Did Deliver Me From Bondage
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
  • The Holy Secret
  • Why?: Powerful Answers and Practical Reasons for Living LDS Standards
Kevin Hinckley has been advising individuals, families and businesses for over 20 years. He is a Psychotherapist and Life Skills Coach. He is is a facilitator with the LDS Addiction Recovery Program and sits on the board of directors for ANTHEM and Strong Families Dallas, a non-profit organization, an advocate for marriage and families in North Texas. He is a frequent speaker with church and youth ...more
More about Kevin Hinckley...
Burying Our Swords: How Christ Can Remove Rebellion from Our Hearts Promptings or Me? Recognizing the Spirit's Voice The Husband Whisperer: The Gentle Approach to Communication in Marriage Habits, Hurts, and Hangups: 12 Steps to Heal the Natural Man Burying Our Swords