Start by marking “Shady Ladies: Nineteen Surprising and Rebellious American Women” as Want to Read:
Shady Ladies: Nineteen Surprising and Rebellious American Women

Shady Ladies: Nineteen Surprising and Rebellious American Women

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  12 reviews

Suzann Ledbetter has researched and written about American history for almost twenty years. The depth of her work is reflected in these well-crafted and enormously entertaining biographies of little-known---till now---Shady Ladies. Some were crackpots, some criminals, some charlatans, some genuine talents, but almost all have been sadly forgotten.
Unsung though they may be,
Published August 8th 2006 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Shady Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shady Ladies

Quite naturally, we tend to hear about women who had staggering or groundbreaking achievements rather than those whose stories were not quite as groundbreaking or "important". Ledbetter has chosen 18 lesser known women and one well known ("Unsinkable Molly Brown) and related their stories--and what stories! I tend to forget, based on overbearing opinions of recent feminists, that women throughout history were able to make their own way and make a difference at times; we just don't hear about the ...more
Beth Wood
These biographies of women you've (mostly) never heard of are fascinating. I was enthralled by these little-known characters. I have two quibbles with the book - one small, one larger. The small gripe is that the title is dumb. You can't change the meaning of shady ladies to make it be about rebellious or enterprising women, as opposed to prostitutes. My second gripe is the editing of this book is pretty dismal. While Ledbetter's bios are overall entertaining, she is apparently averse to commas ...more
Librarian Laura
Only a few of the 19 women from Victorian America were women of ill repute. But all of them were independent, unconventional, and unwilling to let a world stacked against them get in their way. Some were doctors, some were businesswomen, some were lawmakers, some were pioneers - but they all struggled long and hard, and were all absolutely awesome. I'm planning on buying it, it's that good.
Annagrace K.
This book was full of women I've never heard of and women I wanted to hear all about, and it seemed so promising. Unfortunately it lacked good editing, felt more like a huge Wikipedia article (or articles, I guess), and wasn't that interesting or engaging. I finished it but ONLY because I hate to be a quitter.
Callee Jaeger
The writing is choppy and lacks clarity. The author uses far too many trite phrases. There are some interesting tidbits, but overall, this makes for ponderous reading.
The bibliography is fairly extensive, good for further research.
This book has ladies with very interesting lives. I just think it could have been more interesting if it was written more in story form. It seemed very much like I was reading a text book.
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2009- Some of the stories were interesting, but the writing wasn't very well done. And some of them were quite short.
I like this book. It focuses on 19 famous (or infamous) women from history and the author has a great sense of humor.
Really enjoyed these small chapters entailing adventures and general lives of some truly incredible women.
Adrienne Kiser
Some of these stories were interesting, but I think I was expecting a more notorious kind of shady.
Is there a half star, because this book would get it.
Carrie Pirmann
American history
Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Shannon Walker
Shannon Walker marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Ruby Strawberry
Ruby Strawberry marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Erin Balerud
Erin Balerud marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Amie Bjorklund
Amie Bjorklund marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Loren marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Beatrix marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Amanda Rowe
Amanda Rowe is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Karen added it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fifteen or twenty minutes of intense Website surfing suggests that biographical segments are usually devoted to former vocations, titles published and awards won. The latter two categories seem redundant to additional electronic buttonry labeled Book List, to homepages advertising current tomes, and mentions elsewhere of honors bestowed, humbly received and treasured in perpetuity.

As for the forme
More about Suzann Ledbetter...