Start by marking “God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  844 ratings  ·  38 reviews
God Is Closer Than You ThinkCurriculum KitSix Sessions on Experiencing the Presence of GodThe story of the Bible is the story of God's desire to be with people. God is extending himself, stretching out to reach us, to fill our lives with his presence. Every moment of your life is like a pagein a Where's Waldo? book. God is there, the Scriptures tell us--on every one of the ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 307 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Thorndike Press (first published March 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about God Is Closer Than You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Is Closer Than You Think

Josh Miller
Ortberg has a way with words...I thank God for talented authors like Him who write books to strengthen Christians in their walk with Him.

I had to keep a pen nearby as I constantly came across nuggets of truth. The way which Ortberg weaves illustrations with Biblical truth makes a strong impact upon the reader.

Chapter seven, Spiritual Pathways, was probably my favorite. In matter of fact, I took an evening before bedtime this past week and read the chapter to my family. In my opinion, the truth w
Sue
A very encouraging, inspiring and also practical book for anyone wanting to know more of God's presence day by day. Ortberg writes in his usual friendly style, with amusing throwaway lines and family anecdotes here and there. He also covers a lot of very important issues, and debunks certain viewpoints (such as the idea that God is only interested in people doing 'spiritual' activities).

There's a useful chapter about different pathways to finding God: this was very reassuring to one who finds ch
Dan
Mar 13, 2007 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: pastorsshelf
I just finished this book yesterday. John Ortberg is one of the funniest, down to earth, insightful Christian writers that I admire. Some of it is fluff, but never without meaningful Truth. I love his analogy of finding God like finding Waldo. On the early pages, he's always there, and it's so exciting to find him. But as you turn the pages, he blends in a little bit more and it's frustrating to not be able to see him as clearly. But that does not mean that he's not there. God sometimes "hides" ...more
Jennifer Daniel
I can't really complain about this being "too preachy", it is a Christian book. It was one referenced in The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible. Started off interestingly enough with the author's thoughts on Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel, then he tried to be hip and use slang. The problem is when your only street conection is Baptist teen church nerds you don't sound too krunck just really, really white. Like Kevin Costner white.
Kelly Belvis
Excellent book, a quick read but also worth re-reading. I did much underlining in this book. John Ortberg has a way of making theological concepts completely accessible and also memorable. I appreciate his humor and joy along the way.
Laurie
Mar 05, 2011 Laurie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I read this book along with doing a DVD group study with friends from my church. It deals with learning to be able to see and hear God in everyday circumstances. I enjoyed Ortberg's sense of humor and thought that the Where's Waldo analogy was great. I didn't give it 5 stars because I feel that while the author did an interesting and complete job of making his points,he then tended to over-reiterate what he'd already said. It reminded me of trying to make term papers longer when I was in high sc ...more
Dan Curnutt
This is a great book for those wanting to learn about "practicing the presence of God". It's a quick and easy read, but if you stop to contemplate what he says you will need to read and re-read and maybe read again.

For me the biggest thing to learn was the fact that I have forgotten to look for God in the daily activities and events of my life. God is there, if I care to stop and look for Him.

Don't just read this book on your own, get a group together and go through the book together so that you
Opal Huang
John Ortberg has been my favourite writers for quite a while now. I have had read his other books and this one definitely lives up to the same standard. I like the way he writes, it's so personal, so real, he doesn't hide the fact that he himself is human too, and has many character flaws, he doesn't put himself as a holy, spotless spiritual leader who only asserts the triumphant stories of christians but neglect the inevitable human failures. This makes it real and convincing to his readers tha ...more
Lucy Bilik
This book has really touched me, it is just what I have needed at this point of my life. An amazing book that shows how God is everywhere around us and with us. We sometimes forget how close God is and how He cares what we do and what happens to us. Looking forward to reading more of john Ortbergs books. Hope it'll bring peace, understanding and strong relationship with God to anyone who reads it.
Mar 29, 2011 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Sue Hubbard
I am doing this with my church as a bible study. It can only be used as a bible study if you do daily work in the participants guide. If you were just reading the book it would be Book Club level. Easy, light hearted, good. Lots of meat no wasted pages. Makes you sharpen your senses, learn to be still and see God in our daily lives. Good current age read. He is an enjoyable author.
Jack Kooyman
This was a great book for me and anyone with a desire to grow closer to God but, for some reason, is not drawn to, familiar with or intimidated by what they know about spiritual practices or disciplines. Ortberg writes in such a clear "down to earth" style about the spiritual life that I understand, relate to, and can apply and practice in my daily life.
Tim
Always witty and full of understated wisdom, you can’t go wrong with Ortberg. This book doesn’t disappoint. Rich insights into living in daily interaction with God, practicing his presence, connecting with him in both the big moments and the mundane. Highly recommended!
Noelle McCoy
John Ortberg does a fantastic job of explaining that God is right with us...God is not judgmental, aloof and looking down from on high...it's sparked a total paradigm shift for me...I highly recommend it for anyone truly seeking a deeper relationship with God.
Becky Morlok
I'm an Ortberg fan. His book, If You Want to Walk on Water....is still in my Top 5. I love the way he views his life through faith and the useful tools he gives his readers. Our Sunday School class completed this study this month - a real blessing!
Newton
Jun 11, 2013 Newton added it
The theme tells it all. Indeed the Lord is closer than we think He is. John uses some very amazing illustrations that helps the reader come into terms with the Lord's ever present company of love and life.
Jackie Wolfred
I am sure this is a good book, as the author is outstanding. However, what I did read seemed so elementary that I just couldn't get into it.

So, off my 'reading' list.
Bobbi
I am reading this book to a blind woman who is auditing a class and needs to hear the information in the chapters. I just started so I don't know what I think at this point.
Nathan
Good book. Ortberg made a couple points that I still remember years after having read it. Much of the material is cited from other people, but still value in that.
Andy Field
I really enjoyed this book. Informative, insightful and really helpful in understanding a little more about God breaking through into our world. Well worth reading.
Andy Mitchell
This book is a cross between Bill Hybels and Max Lucado. Borrows from classic works about living with an awareness of God in the ordinary and routine.
Jared
Good book. Ortberg writes like he speaks. Great read, but if you are looking for depth, you will not find it here. Certainly not a waste of time, though.
Carôle Ceres
This is a very inspiring & practical "How to find God" book. I highly recommend it to anyone who is desirous of being a Christian rather than being religious!
Elaine Vandenberg
Another great book by John Ortberg! He gives very practical advice in helping us become more like Christ! I would recommend any book he wrote!
Mom
This book tells us what we should already know, that God is right here, right now. We spend too much time looking everywhere else for him/her.
Rene
taking this one day at a time... i've been told, God is in every chapter, and this will allow me to build a stronger bond with God :)
Elena
a book to go back to and re-read so that we're reminded that God is right here, right now and not some abstract being ...
Dana
A must read for every Christian. A great down to Earth look at walking closer with God and "making up there come down here."
Bill
I think John Ortberg, is a gift communicator and his work deep and approachable.
Suzanne
Enjoyed this Ortberg book, helpful in demonstrating God's constant presence.
Brian
the premise is great. the next several chapters are layered with cheese...
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • Holy Discontent: Fueling the Fire That Ignites Personal Vision
  • The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows
  • Good to Great in God's Eyes: 10 Practices Great Christians Have in Common
  • Your God is Too Safe
  • Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy
If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat The Life You've Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People The Me I Want to Be: Becoming God's Best Version of You Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box

“The greatest moment of your life is now.
Not because it's pleasant or happy or easy, but because this moment is the only moment you've got. Every past moment is irretrievably gone. It's never coming back. If you live there, you lose your life.
And the future is always out there somewhere. You can spend an eternity waiting for tomorrow, or worrying about tomorrow. If you live there, you likewise will lose your life.
This moment is God's irreplaceable gift to you.”
4 likes