Start by marking “God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?” as Want to Read:

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,034 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
God Is Closer Than You ThinkCurriculum KitSix Sessions on Experiencing the Presence of GodThe story of the Bible is the story of God's desire to be with people. God is extending himself, stretching out to reach us, to fill our lives with his presence. Every moment of your life is like a pagein a Where's Waldo? book. God is there, the Scriptures tell us--on every one of the ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 307 pages
Published June 1st 2006 by Thorndike Press (first published March 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about God Is Closer Than You Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Is Closer Than You Think

Josh Miller
Dec 07, 2014 Josh Miller rated it really liked it
Ortberg has a way with words...I thank God for talented authors like Him who write books to strengthen Christians in their walk with Him.

I had to keep a pen nearby as I constantly came across nuggets of truth. The way which Ortberg weaves illustrations with Biblical truth makes a strong impact upon the reader.

Chapter seven, Spiritual Pathways, was probably my favorite. In matter of fact, I took an evening before bedtime this past week and read the chapter to my family. In my opinion, the truth w
Sue
Jul 06, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, read-2009
A very encouraging, inspiring and also practical book for anyone wanting to know more of God's presence day by day. Ortberg writes in his usual friendly style, with amusing throwaway lines and family anecdotes here and there. He also covers a lot of very important issues, and debunks certain viewpoints (such as the idea that God is only interested in people doing 'spiritual' activities).

There's a useful chapter about different pathways to finding God: this was very reassuring to one who finds ch
Dan
Mar 13, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: pastorsshelf
I just finished this book yesterday. John Ortberg is one of the funniest, down to earth, insightful Christian writers that I admire. Some of it is fluff, but never without meaningful Truth. I love his analogy of finding God like finding Waldo. On the early pages, he's always there, and it's so exciting to find him. But as you turn the pages, he blends in a little bit more and it's frustrating to not be able to see him as clearly. But that does not mean that he's not there. God sometimes "hides" ...more
Jennifer Daniel
Aug 21, 2010 Jennifer Daniel rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I can't really complain about this being "too preachy", it is a Christian book. It was one referenced in The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible. Started off interestingly enough with the author's thoughts on Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel, then he tried to be hip and use slang. The problem is when your only street conection is Baptist teen church nerds you don't sound too krunck just really, really white. Like Kevin Costner white.
Diana Barrick
Jan 27, 2016 Diana Barrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful book for me to read over and over because it's important enough that I really get it. Probably a modern take on Brother Lawrence's Practicing the Presence of God, but I haven't read that one yet! I highlighted all over this book. "God paints himself in the depths of our souls- Brother Lawrence." "The decision that makes us disciples is choosing to be always with Jesus so we can learn continually from Jesus how to be fully like him." Ortberg explores salvation, sanctification, the transfo ...more
Kelly Belvis
Mar 28, 2014 Kelly Belvis rated it really liked it
Excellent book, a quick read but also worth re-reading. I did much underlining in this book. John Ortberg has a way of making theological concepts completely accessible and also memorable. I appreciate his humor and joy along the way.
Laurie
Nov 09, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
I read this book along with doing a DVD group study with friends from my church. It deals with learning to be able to see and hear God in everyday circumstances. I enjoyed Ortberg's sense of humor and thought that the Where's Waldo analogy was great. I didn't give it 5 stars because I feel that while the author did an interesting and complete job of making his points,he then tended to over-reiterate what he'd already said. It reminded me of trying to make term papers longer when I was in high sc ...more
Andy Daugherty
Sep 12, 2015 Andy Daugherty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely FANTASTIC book! This book helped me go deeper into the concept of God's presence and introduced me to the writings of Brother Lawrence.
Dan Curnutt
Apr 29, 2008 Dan Curnutt rated it really liked it
This is a great book for those wanting to learn about "practicing the presence of God". It's a quick and easy read, but if you stop to contemplate what he says you will need to read and re-read and maybe read again.

For me the biggest thing to learn was the fact that I have forgotten to look for God in the daily activities and events of my life. God is there, if I care to stop and look for Him.

Don't just read this book on your own, get a group together and go through the book together so that you
Maria
Sep 21, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
First class book really explaining that it is not just a case of God coming to us but of us finding our way to God.
Opal Huang
Sep 07, 2009 Opal Huang rated it really liked it
John Ortberg has been my favourite writers for quite a while now. I have had read his other books and this one definitely lives up to the same standard. I like the way he writes, it's so personal, so real, he doesn't hide the fact that he himself is human too, and has many character flaws, he doesn't put himself as a holy, spotless spiritual leader who only asserts the triumphant stories of christians but neglect the inevitable human failures. This makes it real and convincing to his readers tha ...more
Shannon
Dec 22, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
I actually liked this one better than the classic The Practice of the Presence of God, which covers the same topic. I found it more practical for contemporary life.
Jon
May 17, 2015 Jon rated it it was amazing
I've always enjoyed Ortberg's style, but this book spoke directly to me and has found its way onto my list of books I will read multiple times and will use as a continual reference.
Lucy Bilik
This book has really touched me, it is just what I have needed at this point of my life. An amazing book that shows how God is everywhere around us and with us. We sometimes forget how close God is and how He cares what we do and what happens to us. Looking forward to reading more of john Ortbergs books. Hope it'll bring peace, understanding and strong relationship with God to anyone who reads it.
Mar 29, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Sue Hubbard
I am doing this with my church as a bible study. It can only be used as a bible study if you do daily work in the participants guide. If you were just reading the book it would be Book Club level. Easy, light hearted, good. Lots of meat no wasted pages. Makes you sharpen your senses, learn to be still and see God in our daily lives. Good current age read. He is an enjoyable author.
Jack Kooyman
May 11, 2012 Jack Kooyman rated it really liked it
This was a great book for me and anyone with a desire to grow closer to God but, for some reason, is not drawn to, familiar with or intimidated by what they know about spiritual practices or disciplines. Ortberg writes in such a clear "down to earth" style about the spiritual life that I understand, relate to, and can apply and practice in my daily life.
Tim
Oct 20, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
Always witty and full of understated wisdom, you can’t go wrong with Ortberg. This book doesn’t disappoint. Rich insights into living in daily interaction with God, practicing his presence, connecting with him in both the big moments and the mundane. Highly recommended!
Noelle McCoy
Apr 01, 2013 Noelle McCoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
John Ortberg does a fantastic job of explaining that God is right with us...God is not judgmental, aloof and looking down from on high...it's sparked a total paradigm shift for me...I highly recommend it for anyone truly seeking a deeper relationship with God.
Becky Morlok
Oct 27, 2013 Becky Morlok rated it really liked it
I'm an Ortberg fan. His book, If You Want to Walk on Water....is still in my Top 5. I love the way he views his life through faith and the useful tools he gives his readers. Our Sunday School class completed this study this month - a real blessing!
The Book Man
Sep 20, 2015 The Book Man rated it liked it
~ “God’s silence does not mean his absence.”

~ “There is no greater expression of LOVE than a freely submitted will. As you wish.” ;)

GOD IS CLOSER THAN WE THINK.
HE IS NEVER FURTHER THAN A PRAYER AWAY.
Newton
Jun 11, 2013 Newton added it
The theme tells it all. Indeed the Lord is closer than we think He is. John uses some very amazing illustrations that helps the reader come into terms with the Lord's ever present company of love and life.
Jackie Wolfred
Jul 14, 2011 Jackie Wolfred rated it did not like it
I am sure this is a good book, as the author is outstanding. However, what I did read seemed so elementary that I just couldn't get into it.

So, off my 'reading' list.
Bobbi
Jan 02, 2011 Bobbi rated it liked it
I am reading this book to a blind woman who is auditing a class and needs to hear the information in the chapters. I just started so I don't know what I think at this point.
Nathan
Good book. Ortberg made a couple points that I still remember years after having read it. Much of the material is cited from other people, but still value in that.
Andy Field
Sep 15, 2013 Andy Field rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Informative, insightful and really helpful in understanding a little more about God breaking through into our world. Well worth reading.
Andy Mitchell
This book is a cross between Bill Hybels and Max Lucado. Borrows from classic works about living with an awareness of God in the ordinary and routine.
Jared
Jul 15, 2008 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Ortberg writes like he speaks. Great read, but if you are looking for depth, you will not find it here. Certainly not a waste of time, though.
Carôle Ceres
May 15, 2013 Carôle Ceres rated it it was amazing
This is a very inspiring & practical "How to find God" book. I highly recommend it to anyone who is desirous of being a Christian rather than being religious!
Elaine Vandenberg
Dec 11, 2013 Elaine Vandenberg rated it it was amazing
Another great book by John Ortberg! He gives very practical advice in helping us become more like Christ! I would recommend any book he wrote!
Mom
Nov 02, 2007 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book tells us what we should already know, that God is right here, right now. We spend too much time looking everywhere else for him/her.
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • Holy Discontent: Fueling the Fire That Ignites Personal Vision
  • How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals About Personal Growth
  • Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy
  • The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows
  • The Younger Evangelicals

“The greatest moment of your life is now.
Not because it's pleasant or happy or easy, but because this moment is the only moment you've got. Every past moment is irretrievably gone. It's never coming back. If you live there, you lose your life.
And the future is always out there somewhere. You can spend an eternity waiting for tomorrow, or worrying about tomorrow. If you live there, you likewise will lose your life.
This moment is God's irreplaceable gift to you.”
6 likes