Start by marking “Littlest Owl” as Want to Read:
Littlest Owl

Littlest Owl

Deep inside a willow tree, three newly hatched owlets curiously examine the fourth, quiet egg. Is there an owl in there, they wonder. When at last the fourth owlet struggles free, he doesn't look much like the others. Dumpy, small, and downy white, he is left behind while his siblings learn to fly. No matter how hard he tries, he can't quite do it. "I will," he says. "Just ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Good Books (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Littlest Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Littlest Owl

Tracy
Aug 27, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-kids
When my youngest was in Pre-K, he used to bring this book home from the school library every other week or so, so we eventually got him his very own copy.

The Littlest Owl of the title hatched -- just barely! -- from egg number four in the nest deep in an old willow tree. He was small and dumpy and round, and didn't mature the way his bigger siblings did. He was unable to fly, and had to scrabble for forgotten bits of food. But he was tenacious and practiced and practiced, and when it really coun
Tatiana
Feb 20, 2012 Tatiana rated it liked it
This was in the pile I collected from the library shelves this week, but it didn't work for the LP focus skill of the week. It is a prettily illustrated story about the runt of four newborn owls, who learns, with determination, to do all the same things as his brothers, including flying.
Kathryn
Jan 19, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
The owls are sooo cute! Read this a few days ago and I can't really remember much of the story but, gosh, the owls are CUTE! ;->
Lily

Nov 05, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
KC
Oct 26, 2016 KC rated it liked it
Flowing illustrations with a delightful tale of mamma owl and her babies.
Becci
Sep 20, 2016 Becci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very cute; never give up no matter what
Amy
Dec 06, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
Deep inside a willow tree, four white eggs began to hatch. The last white egg was taking its time. Finally, the little owlet struggled free. It was a small, downy, white ball. Owlets One, Two, and Three always gobbled up the food before Four. He was left to scrounge around the nest for a worm. Owlets One, Two, and Three always trampled over Four to see their mother. One, Two, and Three were growing fast and soon began to fly. Four was still trying. “I’ll fly too, whoo-whooo, whoo-whooo,” he ...more
Amber
Apr 11, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
Four owl eggs lay within a willow tree and three of them hatch quickly to reveal three owlets. They wait for the fourth egg to hatch and when it does, they see that their fourth sibling is much smaller than them.

The other three owlets do not seem to pay much attention to the smallest owl. They step on him like he is not there, but he is positive about it all, even as the first three grow faster and learn to fly sooner.

I loved how the owls were somewhat realistic looking with a bit of creative li
Julie
May 07, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Preschool and kindergarten

This book has the sweetest illustrations, I just love looking at them. I really like how the text rhymes.

The language used is pretty simple, but it's perfect for preschoolers and kindergartners. There are a few words to stretch them in language, such as "hurled" (as in, "he hurled himself high into the air") and fluttered.

I would use this to talk about narrative structure, because it has a very clear plot that would be easy for young children to re-tell. I could also us
Courtney
Feb 09, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Rachel
I have been looking for books to use with my owl Toddler storytime and this book was a bit too much for them. But a cute book nonetheless. I just feel like quoting "Despicable Me" and say that that little baby "is so fluffy I'm gonna die!". A mommy barn owl has laid four eggs and three have already hatched. The fourth takes a bit longer and is smaller than the rest. When a storm hits, the four babies and their mother must fly away from the willow tree that is their home. The first three go with ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Nov 23, 2010 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, owls
Four owls are born in a willow tree. The fourth is the smallest of all. He doesn't grow as fast as the others or fly as soon. But when he must, he finds that he can, indeed, fly.

What I thought: I can't resist a book about owls and this was a good one. I'm an underdog champion and Four is definitely the underdog in this story. I like his determination despite his handicaps. The illustrations are lovely--the owls look so soft and fluffy that I almost petted the page.

Story Time Theme: Owls

Jen
Mar 09, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed this book from our Book Fair this week to share with my younger elementary students and they really enjoyed it. Owl Four takes a little longer to hatch, to learn how to fly and just about everything else that his siblings do first, but he sticks with it and shows them that if you put your mind to it, you can do anything. Just so happens that my husband took a picture of an owl last week when he was working and I was able to show that to the kids and they liked it!
Mommywest
Nov 07, 2013 Mommywest rated it really liked it
When the littlest owl is born, his siblings don't think he'll ever be able to do all the things they do. But when a storm comes, the littlest owl shows his family that he's ready to grow in his time and his way. The only thing I didn't like about the story is that his siblings weren't kind to him, and the mother owl didn't do anything about it. Otherwise, this is a great story for helping children understand that everyone develops at a different pace, and that's all right.
Jenna
Nov 04, 2011 Jenna rated it liked it
The Littlest Owl is a book for very young children; it is super short, but has stunning pictures. The littlest owl hatches late and is the runt of his family. While all three of his siblings are growing and flying, he is left behind. In the end he is faced with a challenge and pulls from a reserve deep within himself...
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 03, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya
A story about the smallest of a hatching of baby owls. The smallest owl has difficult trying to fly like its siblings. The book is about trying and perseverance. My little one enjoyed it immensely.
Jenny
Aug 06, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations but while the story had a nice message, the text felt a little flat to me. Reminds me a bit of The Poky Little Puppy or The Ugliest Duckling...the littlest owl doesn't learn or grow as fast as his three siblings, but he is sure he will learn to fly in the end.
Tricia
Jul 01, 2009 Tricia rated it did not like it
4th owl of owlets is a "dud"...described as "dumpy" and unable to fly. A storm swells and he flies. eh.
Feb 20, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Tamara
Nov 20, 2010 Tamara rated it liked it
Recommended to Tamara by: School Library Journal
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are . The story was pretty standard; littlest owl = black sheep.
Michelle
May 05, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is adorably illustrated and has a great lesson in that little owls can do big things when it really counts. We loved this book.
Kate McCartney
Nov 15, 2008 Kate McCartney rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A very cute book about the runt of the nest who is always behind his bigger brothers and sister, but when a big storm comes and threatens his tree he must quickly learn to fly.
Cindy
Jul 29, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, childrens
This small little book delivers quite the punch, with imagery that is just beautiful and the right attitude of "I will do it" have faith I just love this owly story. Just beautiful!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2016
Jenny
Jenny rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2013
Gaile Wilson
Gaile Wilson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Car
Car rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Spring
Spring rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • A Book of Sleep
  • There's an Owl in the Shower
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • Swim, Little Wombat, Swim!
  • The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever