Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing

Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Admired fabric designer Anna Maria Horner draws on her passion for art, sewing, and textiles to inspire one-of-a-kind projectsAnna Maria Horner's signature style combines the techniques of a seasoned sewer with the vision of an artist. In Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing, she walks you through the fundamentals, offering practical advice on everything from fabric...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Seams to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seams to Me

Maura Badji
I love Anna Maria Horner's lush colors and vibrant fabric patterns, that are very much in evidence throughout this book. I like that she includes projects and instructions geared for beginners as well ad intermediate sewers. I very much like the projects for bags, totes, and pillows. What I'm not at all enamored with are the clothing projects: the blouses look like unflattering secularists and the skirts are unflattering neo-hipster items. However, since I borrowed this from my cozy neighborhood...more
JayeL
I received this book as a 2009 birthday gift from wonderful friend. Today, I listened to Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood's podcast interview with Anna Maria Horner again, which made me think about my review. I came to see what had when I first looked at the book. Shock! Horror! I didn't write a review, nor did I even put it on my list. Shame! I have no idea what I was thinking.

The first thing I like about this book is the pre-Table of contents. It is arranged in a very visual and 9 patchy way. It tel...more
Challis
I usually love AMH's style but I was disappointed with this book. Only found a few things interested to make. One was the stuffed ball, which I had a devil of a time with. The instructions didn't explain why the pattern pieces were of unequal size, which caused lots of troubles with the seams. I had to jimmy rig it and don't know how long it will last. It is very cute though! (Shrug) I also made the bo peep skirt and ended up with a huge skirt that needs a bigger elastic, the 1/2" just doesn't c...more
Molly
First off, as a beginner sewer, this book has one of the most impressive "Getting Started" sections I have seen: it is 5 chapters/60 pages long (for some reason, there are no page numbers in the Table of Contents. Very odd!)
This is one of those books where I like many of the projects, but am not so keen on the fabrics the author used and that kind of ruins the whole experience of the book for me. Too many florals, to may loud prints.

Some projects I did like were:
- I;ll Have One of Everything Bag...more
Angela
the first half of the spiral-bound book is mostly meant for inspiration and tips rather than step-by-step instructions for a project. It is prolifically illustrated, but a person needs to be a crafter to get a gyst of the basic instructions for projects at the back.That said, it does give layout ideas for quilting and the projects go together quickly and look like fun to both make and give. Lots of punny and tongue-in-cheek topic headings and titles, like "Full Contact Cooking" for the apron pat...more
Aileen
I would like to give this book 3 1/2 stars. I love AMH's fabrics so much! But the projects in this book range from lovely and inspiring to lame and silly. The instructions are not great, the diagrams are very poor. I feel like much of the important nitty-gritty has been omitted in favour of artsy-fartsy pictures that are attractive but unhelpful. That said, I have made a couple of things and they turned out really well. Some the instructions had to be interpreted, and if I was not an experienced...more
Gnomad
Very enjoyable! Although I think 'Sew Everything Workshop' was a better beginner's book in terms of techniques and sewing basics, this books was better for projects. SEW focused mainly on clothes whereas Horner covers a larger variety (totes, pillows, towels, quilting, etc.). You can definitely tell that Horner is a quilter at heart though from the way she keeps slipping in info about how you apply a technique to quilting or using quilting examples to demonstrate something.
Inder
Four stars for prettiness. I love Anna Maria Horner's style! This is a gorgeous, busy, colorful, and very me book on sewing and craft. I've already taken some inspiration from it, and I expect I will take more over time. The instructions are good but perhaps a little simplistic, so I would recommend that beginners use a more standard sewing and quilting manual in combination with this book. This is probably an inspirational rather than technical starting point.
Angela
I do like the book. I like the fact that it has patterns with it, with a pocket in the back of the book to hold them. I like that the book opens and lies flat. The beginning of the book has a lot of good detail in it. However, the instructions are not always clear when making a project, and occasionally leave out a detail that a new sewer might not be able to figure out. I did like this book good enough to buy it for myself and a friend.
Kristen
The how-to section at the front of the book is excellent — and any spiral-bound crafting book is always a winner — but most of the patterns are scarcely a step above a Craftster tutorial. (Framed fabric with some buttons sewn on it? Really? And how many fabric-covered message boards does the world need anyway?) If you already know how to run a sewing machine, this book probably isn't for you.
Audie
I love the patterns in this book, and some of her techniques have been really helpful. I made the pincushion caddy, but I had to use altered directions from a website. I will borrow this book again from the library to complete some of the other projects. The pictures were great but there were only 3 or 4 of the projects that I was interested in making.
Valerie
This book is beautiful to look at and has a ton of basic sewing information as well and many fun projects to try. I am a big fan of Anna Marie's blog and fabrics so I had to get this book too. I think it would be really great for a beginner sewer or someone like me who is self taught and coukd use some help on more advanced skills.
Erin Sipes
Well, since babysitting and going back to work this book has found a place on my crafting shelves in a back room in the basement. Loads of fun ideas and patterns I just wish I had the time to make them all happen. Lovely colors and the material will have you hunting down Mrs. Horner and politely asking for more!
Alexis
Currently making the Cup Half Full Apron. A trial run with cloth found at the Goodwill. So far, so good.

Her instructions for binding a quilt are the clearest & simplest I've read. The patterns & instruction are generally easy to follow for a novice sewer.

It never hurts to make your book pretty, too.
I really loved this book, even enough to buy it! Normally I just pillage the library. Anyway, Anna Maria Horner has a friendly, down-to-earth tone and explains everything quite nicely. There are so many projects in this I want to make that I just keep renewing it until I can buy it.
Heather
I have been checking alot of sewing books out at the library lately and this is one I had to buy. It's awesome for beginers and also has more advanced stuff. I actually read this book cover to cover. It is filled with great tips tutorials and basic sewing know how.
Marcia
Jan 11, 2010 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sewers
A nice guide for someone interested in learning to sew. The projects were cute and up-to-date and patterns were included. I especially thought the fabric choices for the projects were contemporary and appealing. I got several new ideas for winter projects.
Jianna
Feb 25, 2010 Jianna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginners to sewing or people interested in improving
It seemed interesting enough, but unfortunately the my ebook sample cut off before I could get past the pre-sewing stuff. I have it on my potential to-buy list of sewing instruction materials if I get into the swing of things again.
Anne
Not as wonderful as I wanted it to be. Her blog is so full of great photos and ideas. This book seems to fall short of that. Still beautiful, still good ideas, but not enough.
Audra
In addition to making some of the projects from this book - I have read it cover to cover. Good tips, and basics that I somehow missed learning to sew as a girl. Can't wait to get her 2nd book.
Nancy
Nice how-to book with patterns for 24 projects. I thought the sewing basics and the tutorials were very good. I didn't find anything I wanted to make.
Meryl
This was a wonderful book--good directions, lots of diagrams, etc--but there were no projects that jumped out at me and made me want to make them right away.
Susan
The Cozy Cubes and Wall Pockets look cute - would be great in the girls rooms, and I think Lola could rock that Bo Peep skirt. Someday...
Erika
This is a great sewing book. Nice introduction for those who are new to sewing, cute projects, good instructions. Good for any beginner.
Missquiss
Just bought this one. I've done one project from it so far and plan to do several more. So colorful and pretty to browse through!
Jocelynne Broderick
It's ok. It went over stuff i already know. And the projects are cute but nothing i would go out of the way to make.
Marsha
It's interesting to read what others consider 'essential' sewing supplies. Projects are interesting.
Julie
Lots of advice and really cute projects. I love the vintage frame button pictures!! Patterns too!
Lisa Renata
Aug 27, 2010 Lisa Renata is currently reading it
So far so good...now all I have to do is try the projects and I'll let you know. =)
Aileen
Very good advice and interesting things to make and it comes complete with patterns
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Sew Everything Workshop
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Sew U Home Stretch: The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • "A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
Handmade Beginnings: 24 Sewing Projects to Welcome Baby Anna Maria's Needleworks Notebook