Start by marking “Sawbones (Most Wanted)” as Want to Read:
Sawbones (Most Wanted)

Sawbones (Most Wanted)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  401 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A serial killer is on the loose, kidnapping girls off the street and torturing them to death. But this time he's chosen the wrong victim - a mobster's daughter - and her father will do anything to get her back.
Published July 1st 2008 by Barrington Stoke

To ask other readers questions about Sawbones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sawbones

Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinCold Granite by Stuart MacBrideHide and Seek by Ian RankinBlack and Blue by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian Rankin
Tartan Noir
136th out of 244 books — 88 voters
Tracing the Contours by Honor Amelia DawsonAtlas by Benjamin R.  SmithAmong the Shrouded by Amalie JahnLallapaloosa by Rags DanielsComrades of Deceit by Anthony Hulse
My Favorite Thriller Authors
38th out of 142 books — 250 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Oct 19, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, united-kingdom
Sawbones is a novella, set in the US, not part of MacBride's series books set in Aberdeen. There are some similarities though - I harbour a fond belief that this author couldn't write out his shopping list without some sly, black humour involved.

There is plenty of humour in SAWBONES. There's also a lot of gruesome moments, which again is pretty typical MacBride. He does love to gross you out, make you laugh, then make you stop and think what the hell am I laughing at for goodness sake! It's quit
Garrett
Jul 06, 2015 Garrett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2015
Nice short read.
Neil
Dec 18, 2014 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have previously read some of the Logan McRae books and I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed this author's writing. The first thing you notice is that this is not set in Aberdeen, but takes place in the US. There is still the graphic content, and the patches of dry humour laced throughout the tale so perhaps not ideal for the slightly squeamish. Despite the short length it has probably prompted me to reread the other books again and then ferret out some more.
The reader should take note of th
John Wiltshire
Jul 13, 2014 John Wiltshire rated it it was amazing
Began this today right after finising The Ritual. It's a book I've wanted to read for ages as I loved MacBride's Logan McRae series. If you've not tried these then I highly recommend them. The first ones (Cold Granite Dying Light Broken Skin) are some of the funniest, most original and gruesome crime writing I've ever read. I was seriously spitting out tea at some of these. I think MacBride then fell a little too in love with one of his more outrageous characters (Roberta Steel) and the latter n ...more
Rog Harrison
Feb 04, 2016 Rog Harrison rated it liked it
This is little more than a short story being only 114 pages of quite large print. Written in a different style from the author's usual books this is set in the USA and is told in the present tense. A mob leader's 16 year old daughter has been abducted by someone suspected to be a serial killer and the story deals with the gangsters hunting down the serial killer. A fast paced read with a lot of black humour though there are a lot of violent scenes.
Tom Elder
Oct 16, 2014 Tom Elder rated it really liked it
Stuart MacBride.
Short story.
Sawbones. This book is set in the USA. A serial killer is on the loose taking young girls and then cutting off their arms and legs. He makes the mistake of kidnapping a mobsters daughter, and he will stop at nothing to get her back. Plenty graphic scenes in this short story which runs from start to finish.
4 stars. 16 October 2014.
Robert
Dec 22, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
This makes Logan McRae and the Aberdeen novels look like PC Plum and Balamory. Nasty, brutal and short and dripping with black humour. There is a plot but it doesn't stand up to too much scrutiny, so just go along for the ride and don't poke the bear.
Megan
Jan 17, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Rating: 3.5

This was an easy one-sitting read. It's such an interesting idea for a plot, and I really liked each character, I totally wish we had gotten a more in depth, lengthier story. It would have helped me to understand why the characters did specific actions. For example, could we at least know why Sawbones is murdering these girls? The 'saving them from their sins' Jesus-loving seems like a quick and easy explanation.

I also don't think it should have been called Sawbones. Sure, it is an at
Susan
Apr 10, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok
lots of the "F" word, not a lot else either - not like his other books at all - no detail, not much of a storyline to me, but then it is only a very short book
Wendy Denham
Jul 16, 2014 Wendy Denham rated it it was amazing
Once you get past the foul language this is a good book with twists and turns. Be advised though do not read this if you are squeamish!!!!!!
Ally Atherton
Aug 26, 2012 Ally Atherton rated it really liked it
It's always cool to stumble across an Author that you haven't read before and I was lucky enough to receive this in a pile of books from a work colleague. I read this small book in two days and it was fun with a capital F.

There is a lunatic abducting young women in America but this time he has picked on the wrong woman. This time it's not the police he has to worry about but a notorious set of gangsters! Sawbones is witty and dark, fast and furious and highly entertaining. I really like Stuart M
Dan
Mar 17, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
Could have been a lot longer, ended a bit abruptly but all in all a solid short story... Will definitely look for more by mcbride!
Mark Bright
Jan 27, 2015 Mark Bright rated it really liked it
A short story about a serial killer! Packs it in, no messing about but with some nice humour. What's not to like.
jwals
Feb 23, 2015 jwals rated it it was ok
All most, but not quite, just as the story starts it stops. Most unsatisfactory
Lisa Eirene
Feb 28, 2014 Lisa Eirene rated it it was ok
I don't understand why it's a novella. Why not make it a full-length, fleshed out novel?
Meg
May 18, 2014 Meg rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. Funny and gruesome, a finely written novella by Mr. Macbride.
Bill S.
Jul 02, 2014 Bill S. rated it really liked it
First taste of Stuart MacBride was this novella. Very enjoyable.
Peter Stevens
Apr 25, 2015 Peter Stevens rated it liked it
Quick and easy to read. A real black comedy, really black.
Rebecca
Mar 17, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Should be a full book, lots to write about
Vikki White
Dec 30, 2014 Vikki White rated it it was amazing
brilliant short story, gripping and funny.
Beth
Nasty little tale about a serial killer who rather foolishly picks up the daughter of a quite terrifying mobster who hires a team to head off and find him. Set in America. Done with Stuart MacBride's characteristic black humour.
Helen
Mar 30, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
Sawbones is a short and easy to book that you can select to read when you have a few hours to spare. The characterisation, for such a short book, is spot on but without going into too much detail so not to ramble and the plot was easily followable. Sawbones is a stand alone novella, separate from the author's Cold Granite series set in Aberdeen, but has you turning the pages just as quickly!
Balthazar Lawson
Dec 16, 2013 Balthazar Lawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story about about gangsters trying to find the abducted daughter of their boss. All rules out the window in their hunt and the body count for such a short story is rather high.

Unlike other books by Stuart MacBride this is not set in Scotland but in the open plains of the USA. But like his other books there is a lot of blood and guts.

A very nice read.
Shaun
Mar 07, 2009 Shaun rated it really liked it
A short novella that you can read in a couple of hours. Nice characterisation, but not as gruesome as I thought it might be. Any gruesome scene is left to the imagination rather then written out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a little more detail would have 'fleshed' the 114 page story out.
Plum-crazy
Mar 15, 2015 Plum-crazy added it
Shelves: read-2015
A quick read (it is aimed at those who are struggling with their reading)& in typical MacBride fashion is humorous but gory....actually very gory in parts probably not for the squeamish, personally I loved it ;o)
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
One of the ebooks I bought to read while we were away. Didn't have time so finally go to it yesterday. Quick and enjoyably gory as all MacBride books tend to be.
Stuart MacBride is a regular on my reading list.
Kelly
Dec 01, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Stuart MacBride never disappoints...brilliant as ever.
Gavin Smith
Nov 29, 2014 Gavin Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, crime
I read this recently. It's a real stripped to the bone (no pun intended) Tarantino-esque wacky gangster yarn. It could make an interesting off-the-wall indie movie with the right casting.
Feuerzeug
May 29, 2013 Feuerzeug rated it it was amazing
So short and concise. It's just like a long novel, but the direct prose makes it immediate and so much more thrilling and scary.

All books should be hard edited to achieve this.
Amit Shetty
Sep 10, 2012 Amit Shetty rated it liked it
A typical serial killer story, nothing special about it.
The only noteworthy feature in this novella is the swearing accounts far more than the number of pages in the book.
  • The Memory Killer (Carson Ryder, Book 11)
  • I Blame Stephen King
  • Best European Fiction 2011
  • Non-Stop Till Tokyo
  • Bayou Myth
  • Emergency Laughter: It Wasn't Funny When It Happened, But it is Now!
  • City of Lies
  • The Final Minute (Tina Boyd #7)
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • Don't Bite the Messenger
  • The Long Glasgow Kiss (Lennox, #2)
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • Doors Open
  • Blood Crave (Blood on the Moon, #2)
  • Stranded
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • A Small Weeping
  • Dark Water (Anderson & Costello, #3)
205589
Aka Stuart B. MacBride

The life and times of a bearded write-ist.

Stuart MacBride (that's me) was born in Dumbarton -- which is Glasgow as far as I'm concerned -- moving up to Aberdeen at the tender age of two, when fashions were questionable. Nothing much happened for years and years and years: learned to play the recorder, then forgot how when they changed from little coloured dots to proper music
More about Stuart MacBride...