Sawbones (Most Wanted)

Sawbones (Most Wanted)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A serial killer is on the loose in America, kidnapping girls off the street and torturing them to death. But this time he's chosen the wrong victim - a mobster's daughter - and her dad will do anything to get her back.
Published July 1st 2008 by Barrington Stoke

Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinHide and Seek by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian RankinDr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis StevensonThe Black Book by Ian Rankin
Tartan Noir
92nd out of 188 books — 58 voters
Unthinkable Consequences by Bob RectorTracing the Contours by Honor Amelia DawsonAtlas by Benjamin R.  SmithLallapaloosa by Rags DanielsAmong the Shrouded by Amalie Jahn
My Favorite Thriller Authors
39th out of 128 books — 233 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Sawbones is a novella, set in the US, not part of MacBride's series books set in Aberdeen. There are some similarities though - I harbour a fond belief that this author couldn't write out his shopping list without some sly, black humour involved.

There is plenty of humour in SAWBONES. There's also a lot of gruesome moments, which again is pretty typical MacBride. He does love to gross you out, make you laugh, then make you stop and think what the hell am I laughing at for goodness sake! It's quit...more
John Wiltshire
Began this today right after finising The Ritual. It's a book I've wanted to read for ages as I loved MacBride's Logan McRae series. If you've not tried these then I highly recommend them. The first ones (Cold Granite Dying Light Broken Skin) are some of the funniest, most original and gruesome crime writing I've ever read. I was seriously spitting out tea at some of these. I think MacBride then fell a little too in love with one of his more outrageous characters (Roberta Steel) and the latter n...more
Wendy Denham
Once you get past the foul language this is a good book with twists and turns. Be advised though do not read this if you are squeamish!!!!!!
Ally Atherton
It's always cool to stumble across an Author that you haven't read before and I was lucky enough to receive this in a pile of books from a work colleague. I read this small book in two days and it was fun with a capital F.

There is a lunatic abducting young women in America but this time he has picked on the wrong woman. This time it's not the police he has to worry about but a notorious set of gangsters! Sawbones is witty and dark, fast and furious and highly entertaining. I really like Stuart M...more
Lisa Eirene
I don't understand why it's a novella. Why not make it a full-length, fleshed out novel?
Meg
Short and sweet. Funny and gruesome, a finely written novella by Mr. Macbride.
Bill S.
First taste of Stuart MacBride was this novella. Very enjoyable.
Helen
Sawbones is a short and easy to book that you can select to read when you have a few hours to spare. The characterisation, for such a short book, is spot on but without going into too much detail so not to ramble and the plot was easily followable. Sawbones is a stand alone novella, separate from the author's Cold Granite series set in Aberdeen, but has you turning the pages just as quickly!
Balthazar Lawson
This is a short story about about gangsters trying to find the abducted daughter of their boss. All rules out the window in their hunt and the body count for such a short story is rather high.

Unlike other books by Stuart MacBride this is not set in Scotland but in the open plains of the USA. But like his other books there is a lot of blood and guts.

A very nice read.
Shaun
A short novella that you can read in a couple of hours. Nice characterisation, but not as gruesome as I thought it might be. Any gruesome scene is left to the imagination rather then written out, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a little more detail would have 'fleshed' the 114 page story out.
Elizabeth
One of the ebooks I bought to read while we were away. Didn't have time so finally go to it yesterday. Quick and enjoyably gory as all MacBride books tend to be.
Stuart MacBride is a regular on my reading list.
Gavin Smith
I read this recently. It's a real stripped to the bone (no pun intended) Tarantino-esque wacky gangster yarn. It could make an interesting off-the-wall indie movie with the right casting.
Feuerzeug
So short and concise. It's just like a long novel, but the direct prose makes it immediate and so much more thrilling and scary.

All books should be hard edited to achieve this.
Amit Shetty
A typical serial killer story, nothing special about it.
The only noteworthy feature in this novella is the swearing accounts far more than the number of pages in the book.
Sandy Buchanan
A great gruesome romp, just what you expect from MacBride. Can't wait for his next full length feast of fun!
Cp
i thought it had a good idea, but it never ran with it. i expected more.
Brandon Nagel
Sick and twisted. Nice take on the Serial Killer story. Short but sweet!
Jessica
Was disappointed with how quickly the book ended, really enjoyed it.
Rebecca
A quick interesting read. Well written. Quite memorable.
Chris Edwards
Jun 24, 2012 Chris Edwards added it
Shelves: crime
Very quick and easy read in MCBriades usual style.
Lesley
Just ashort story but a good one
Mike Worth
Short and sweet
Tanya Soderholm
Tanya Soderholm marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Arnel Mostert
Arnel Mostert marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ldoutt
Ldoutt added it
Jul 15, 2014
  • When the Devil Drives
  • The Rainbow and the Rose
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • The Malazan Book of the Fallen
  • Best European Fiction 2011
  • The Return of Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #1)
  • The Case of the Constant Suicides (Dr. Gideon Fell, #13)
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
  • To The Bright And Shining Sun
  • The Battle Of Britain: Myth and Reality
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • Dead Aim
  • An Academic Question
  • Rommel: The Desert Fox
  • Don't Bite the Messenger
205589
Aka Stuart B. MacBride

The life and times of a bearded write-ist.

Stuart MacBride (that's me) was born in Dumbarton -- which is Glasgow as far as I'm concerned -- moving up to Aberdeen at the tender age of two, when fashions were questionable. Nothing much happened for years and years and years: learned to play the recorder, then forgot how when they changed from little coloured dots to proper music...more
More about Stuart MacBride...
Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1) Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2) Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3) Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5) Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)