Winter Knights, Edge Chronicles Book 8 (Edge Chronicles)

Winter Knights, Edge Chronicles Book 8 (The Edge Chronicles #8)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,851 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Quint, son of a sky pirate, begins his knight training in an Edgworld heading into endless winter. But he breaks the rules and heads out to Open Sky on his own, and runs into the great sky leviathans known as cloud-eaters. He must use all his skill and ingenuity to save Edgeworld.
Published October 3rd 2005 by Doubleday UK (first published 2005)

An Odd1
"Winter Knights" (Quint #2) by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell are what upperclassman Raffix designates sky pirate captain Wind Jackal's son Quint, his best friend student knight Phin, and forge-hand pal Stope, when confronted by evil peer everyone dislikes Vilnix, on their way to fulfill starved old Philius Embertine's ancient barkscroll remedy for the endless bitter cold, replace stormphrax - solidified lightning storm energy - in the Outer Sky. But the story starts when the Linius Pallitax Mos...more
Justyn Rampa
There has truly not been a single misstep in this series.

Eight books into the series and I still LOVE it.

Now, I tend to love the Quint trilogy more than Rook or Twig and I don't really have any specific reasons for that other then I just respond to Quint the best. This book is the second in the Quint Trilogy (we last saw him in the AMAZING Curse of the Gloamglozer). Book nine in the series is the final book in the Quint trilogy and I suspect there is a reason why they want to end with him.

After...more
Riana
As Sanctaphrax’s Most High Academe lies in his sickbed, Quint’s future on this great floating rock becomes all the more dubious. Great is his surprise at finding his career as an academic is not yet over. In the legendary Knights Academy he finds plenty of new adventures, friends, and of course, foes.

I enjoyed this installment more than its predecessor; the story felt more chewable and convincing, with less emotional ranting. The content were more mature (and sometimes surprisingly violent for a...more
Nat Howler
In this sequel to Curse of the Gloamglozer, we learn more about stormphrax. Stormphrax is created when a great storm strikes the cursed Twilight Woods, and a bolt of lightning solidifies into a pure substance. This substance crumbles into crystals, and that basically, is stormphrax. Stormphrax is the most valuable stuff on The Edge, because among other things, it is heavier than any other substance when you put it in pure darkness. In fact, it is stormphrax which, when placed in the dark treasur...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Feb 09, 2010 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who've enjoyed others in the series
What I found in this edition published in the UK was a list of the books in the series divided into groups. This is the second of three book about Quint and I have already begun the third. Quint loses his good friend Maris Pallitax when her father dies and his will turns her guardianship over to her cruel aunt and uncle in Undertown. Because Quint had been apprenticed to her father Linius Pallitax, he believes that he may no longer have a future at the Most High Academe of Sanctaphrax. But Quint...more
Jaemi
For the first time in my reading of this series, I had a hard time getting through the book. I’m not really sure whether it was me, or the story. More than the others it felt a bit out of left field, even though it wasn’t.

Following up the previous tale, The Most High Academe has died, Quint is training to be a Knight Academic, sponsored by the Professor of Light, and Maris is in Undertown, in the “care” of her uncle.

Plots abound throughout the school, as the weather turns more and more wintry an...more
Max
his first year in the Knights Academy, making friends (Raff and Phinn) and an enemy (Vilnix). When perpetual winter threatens the existence of Sanctaphrax, Quint and his friends, the Winter Knights, brave the Open Sky to find the source of the cold and to restore warmth to their city. Sky Scholars gr...more
Sophia Musgrave
I enjoyed this book although it does move a bit slow. It tells the story of a young boy who succeeds not only in storm chasing studies but also his who has compassion, strength of character and a quick mind. Reminiscent of Harry Potter, this story too creates a whole new world with new terminology to describe it. The author has creative ideas and I can see why this series is so popular in England with little boys since it is rather technical, mechanical oriented at times yet still there is a goo...more
Joan Sizemore
Dec 28, 2007 Joan Sizemore rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school readers
Series: The Edge Chronicles, Number 8. Quint, the son of the sky pirate Wind Jackal, is trying to survive his first year in the Knights Academy, making friends (Raff and Phinn) and an enemy (Vilnix). When perpetual winter threatens the existence of Sanctaphrax, Quint and his friends, the Winter Knights, brave the Open Sky to find the source of the cold and to restore warmth to their city. Great adventure with unusual creatures, machines, and subplots. Use in middle school for fantasy lovers.
Kell
*REVIEWED FOR PUBLISHER*

Sanctaphrax is gripped in a seemingly never-ending winter and it’s up to Quint, newly enrolled in the Knights Academy, to follow in his father’s footsteps and take the helm of a great Sky Ship and avert disaster. This is every bit as exciting as The Curse of the Gloamglozer, filled with thrills and spills on every page. The illustrations are delightful and the story is so well-written that the reader is instantly transported to a world of floating rocks and strange creatu...more
Olivia
I thought this book was more of a filler, addressing the quote revealed in the 7th book. While I loved meeting new people, I thought that (again) the continuity was lacking. Considering the end of the 4th book, with Linius Pallitax getting better, his sudden death was strange and far-fetched for me. The end was also ridiculous, with Quint abandoning his studies at the Knights Academy with NO explanation and considering the skirmish between Quint and Vilnix (I hate that guy!) described in the 2nd...more
Yao
I kind of didn't like this book as much as the others because I couldn't get into it. Nothing interesting happened in this book as much as the other books like Vox when Rook meets his grandfather Twig who is the protagonist in the Twig saga of the Edge chronicles. But I thought some scenes were good like when Maris was tricked by Quint's letters, even though the book was really stretched out with 300 something pages with nothing really interesting happening like a big battle or a meaningful even...more
Dagan Edward Brinda
I already stated I think Curse of the Gloamgozer is a meh book. Is The Winter Knights an improvment? Yes. Is The Winter Knights a significant improvement? Yes. Better action, better drama, better characters, better suspense, better twists, and a better climax. This book is better in about every way, and if your willing to sit through one "only ok" book, then I think you will be pleasantly suprised. Consider me a fan!
Robin
This one didn't move quite as fast as some of the others but it was still a fun read. It takes you back to explain some of the "historical" events that you've only heard bit and pieces of until now. Of course there were moments of political intrigue and high adventure, as well. Some of the action sequences were surprisingly gruesome for juvenile fiction, but that seems to happen a bit in this series.

On to book 9!
Sally
Nearly at the end of the 2nd in the Edge Chronicles and I have really enjoyed it so far. I think that this series is 1 of the Best young adult series I have yet come across. I feel it has enough depth to the story line and the language used in it is by no means all that simple. Yet made easier to read by having pics to look at!

I loved this book although it did start off a little too sad for me!
Arito Sato
日本語版
崖の国物語〈8〉真冬の騎士
Peter
I find the Quint story line much less appealing than the one starring Twig, but any way you look at it, these books are fantastic. I think that the imagination of the authors is the thing that is most interesting; the Edge, the creatures, the academics, etc. Combined with magnificent illustrations and exceptional writing, this series is all but invincible.
Duane
Another adventure in the Edge series and this book doesn't dissapoint. Quint finds himself entering the Knights Academy and soon finds out that even behind those walls there are battles looming. A terrible snow storm is hitting the Edge and they need to discover why it's happening and how to stop it. A nice read for anybody who enjoys fantasy type books.
Michael Mcdaid
This book is more about Quint.I liked some of the story lines in this book. Like the Knights Academy. But some things just were not as interesting like some of the side stories like Stope in the forges. Good book, but not as good as some of the other Edge Chronicle books like Stormchaser, Freeglader, and The Last of the Sky Pirates.
Megan
You really can't go wrong with a children's fantasy series. I would go so far as to say I like this as much as Harry Potter. I like it because as many bad things happen to the protagonist as good things, and in my experiance that's really the way life rolls. And it's about pirates in the sky, so cool with awesome illustrations.
Amanda
Brenda
This is the eighth book in the series and although it had a slow start I like how it ended. I still find the illustrations matched with the writing to be the makings of one of the best children's stories out there. Which is why I am off to find number 9.
Erin
Possibly one of the best books in the series. I am fascinated with the dynamics and social structure of Sanctaphrax, it's almost mind boggling how Paul Stewart has set up this whole system.

And I might just love the prowlgrins almost as much as the bander bears.
Luann
I love this series by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. The Winter Knights is the eighth in The Edge Chronicles. It was slow going in the beginning, but did pick up the pace eventually. A must-read for those who have read the previous seven.
Vixen
fabulous. you really get to explore above the great rock this time. the plot is great and very interesting and like nothing ive ever read before. its very original.
Stephanie Allen
Quint is definitely my favorite main character in the entire series. Plus, the fact that he becomes Cloud Wolf makes him all that much cooler.
Emily
I love this series, so much that I wish it was real and I lived there.
Roya
Another underrated success in the series. I couldn't have asked for more.
Lenka
Skvělý příběh, jako vždy :-) škoda jen, že tahle série u nás není moc známá...
Floyd
Awesome book for the winter. And spring, And Summer, And Fall....
that is a book 1 5 Nov 06, 2012 10:25PM
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell
  • The Secret of Ashona (Erec Rex, #5)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • A Hero For WondLa (WondLa, #2)
  • The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales, #2)
  • The Mousehunter (Mousehunter Trilogy, #1)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Doomraga's Revenge (Merlin's Dragon trilogy, #2)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • The Heir of Mistmantle (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #3)
  • Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)
  • The Dragons of Winter (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #6)
  • The Dragon Diary: Dragonology Chronicles Volume 2
Paul Stewart is a writer of children's books, best known for the bestselling The Edge Chronicles, the Free Lance novels and the Far Flung Adventures series among others. Many of his books are illustrated by Chris Riddell. Paul Stewart lives in the Seaside town Brighton with his wife and children.
-----------------------------------
From Wikipedia: Paul Stewart (writer). (2008, September 18). In Wiki...more
More about Paul Stewart...
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, #1) Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles, #2) The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles, #4) The Last of the Sky Pirates (Edge Chronicles, #5) Midnight Over Sanctaphrax (Edge Chronicles, #3)