Start by marking “A Diary of Private Prayer” as Want to Read:
A Diary of Private Prayer

A Diary of Private Prayer

4.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A Diary of Private Prayer Devotional Classic By Chaplain to Queen Scotland Hardcover by John Baillie (Author) Publisher: Charles Scribner's Sons; First edition (1949), cover of my copy is also black but more attractive than the one pictured. Cover & Interior in Perfect Condition. Pages are clean, tight, no writing, no markings and no tears to text. Ships next business ...more
Published October 1st 1979 by Collier Books (first published 1936)

Rebecca Foster
This is a revised reprint edition of a 1936 devotional classic. It’s structured for 31 days plus Sundays, and divided into morning and evening. The prayers are a mixture of prose and verse, with liberal quotations from poets (Wordsworth, Tennyson, et al.) and the book of Psalms. Some also have fill-in-the-blank sections to allow for personalization. Susanna Wright’s updates are evident in mentions of atoms and molecules, HIV/AIDS, and computers and the Internet.

Some favorite passages:

“when this
Mikejencostanzo
May 19, 2012 Mikejencostanzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
In recent years, I've become very strict with myself regarding what books I will buy. Having worked at the public library for several years, I now instinctively borrow rather than buy.

But, there are certain books that I make exceptions for. My rule of thumb is to only purchase (or keep) a book if I can answer "Yes" to at least one of the following questions:

* Do I love this book so much that I intend to read it multiple times?
* Do I love this book so much that I intend to recommend/lend it to
Tim
Feb 22, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that I've known about for a long time (Richard Foster lists it as one of his favorite devotional books) but never picked up (until I found it on the 50% off rack at the Fuller bookstore). What a rich book - it's very simple, with a month's worth of one-page prayers for morning and evening. What first struck me as I read is this is a man who has spent a lifetime in the presence of God - talking with him, wrestling with him, loving and being loved by him. It has great de ...more
Kent
Nov 24, 2015 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer, 2015
My second time through this book. I'll just reprint what I said before:

The book contains 64 prayers, 31 days of morning and evening prayers and 2 prayers designated Sunday morning and Sunday evening.

The prayers are wonderfully diverse. They expand what I thank the Lord for and lead me into praying for things I don't normally pray about.

The format of the prayers vary, too. Sometimes Baillie will have you praying through Scripture verses, for instance.

Finally, the prayers are just really well-wri
Michael Philliber
Dec 20, 2013 Michael Philliber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A have used this little gem over the last 10 years. It is very user-friendly. It covers 31 days, both morning and evening. With each prayer there is a blank page for scribbling notes, prayer requests etc. Most of the time the prayers range from delightful, to beautiful, to rich. Only on rare occasions does the writer's liberalism seep through problematically (like the morning prayer on the fifth day, in which Ballie blows along with the winds of Evolution). I highly recommend it, but with a remi ...more
Gail Welborn
Dec 29, 2014 Gail Welborn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
***If your prayer life is spiritually stale, "A Diary of Private Prayer" is a MUST READ!

If your prayer life seems spiritually stale and disconnected with prayers that seem to bounce off the ceiling instead of reaching the Throne room of God, John Bailee's devotional classic A Diary of Private Prayer teaches "prayer is the language of faith."

The prayer collection consists of sixty-four inspirational one-page prayers, thirty-one for morning and evening and two special prayers for Sunday morning a
Connie
Apr 15, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never before read a book of prayers, so I have nothing to compare this too. However, having drifted into a rather self-centered prayer time and mumbling the same things over and over again, I thought I'd reach out and see what this book was like. And I have not been disappointed!

The prayer collection consists of sixty-four inspirational one-page prayers. Thirty-one for morning and evening and two special prayers for Sunday morning and evening. The prayers are not only for the individual p
Andrew Canavan
This is a great book of daily prayers (morning and evening) from an early-mid 20th century theologian and leader in the Church of Scotland. Some of the prayers verge on the wishy-washiness of theological liberalism, but most are incredibly helpful and biblical guides to daily prayer.
Meredith MacInnis
This is one of the best books I have ever had the pleasure to run across and read. I know there are lots of people that feel that written prayers by others are not the be all and end all, but they are beautiful in their own right. Also, if you have the capacity to learn from example, this book is a springboard to understanding/glimpsing the broad array of approaching God, who hears our voices, inept as they may be, as we trust and turn to Him. In the original editions (I am not sure how many hav ...more
Amanda Sheila
****An Advanced Reading Copy of A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie was generously provided to me via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

I rarely read this kind of book before. Because to me, prayer's something I know naturally. Sure I have to read some, but I'm not a type of person who read book like this to pray.
Surprisingly, I enjoyed reading this book. I mean, the prayers here are more like conversation between us and God. I loved it.

Look forward to read a book like this anytime
Ian
Sep 22, 2014 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thirty-two days (yes, an extra "Sunday"), one prayer to start the day and one to end it. This is "A Diary of Private Prayer".

This little book has been a wonderful addition to my prayer life these past six weeks and I intend on starting from page one again tomorrow. Even though written in the 1940s these prayers are still timely and relevant to do today.

Beautifully poetic and quoting from Scripture I have found these prayers to be particularly useful in stilling my heart and invigorating my praye
Neil Coulter
Oct 04, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
John Baillie's Diary of Private Prayer has been my primary, favorite daily prayer book for years now. How I love the beauty, the complexity, the thoroughness of the prayers Baillie composed for publication in 1936. I rarely miss a morning prayer, and I wish I remembered more often to end the day with the evening prayer.

But it's an odd thing about the language of the Diary prayers. I remember first discovering Baillie in an edited collection by Richard Foster, Devotional Classics, which I believe
Neil Coulter

As an admitted logophile, I have long been assisted in my prayers by reading beautifully written prayers. The Episcopal Book of Common Prayer is, of course, one favorite. But recently I found John Baillie's magnificent A Diary of Private Prayer (first published in 1936). I first learned of it from Richard J. Foster's edited collection, Devotional Classics. Soon after this first discovery, I ordered a copy for myself, and soon after reading it myself I ordered more copies to give away to friends.

Christopher
May 02, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed using this book for devotional reading during the month of April. The daily prayers and reflections for morning and evening nicely framed days made busy by responsibilities in my school, community, and parish. Billie's writing style is beautifully grounded in a prayerful and imaginative recollection of key phrases and images from Scripture. I'd gladly recommend this book to anyone looking for a gentle devotional aid to a regular rhythm of daily prayer and reflection.
Bex Daynes
Feb 23, 2015 Bex Daynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of John Baillee's thoughtful, inspiring & eloquent prayers, which are now more accessible in this updated & revised edition by Susanna Wright.
There is one for each morning & evening for a month, with space in the book for your own thoughts & prayers to be written alongside.
John Bailee was clearly a man who knew God well & his prayers encourage us to do the same.
It's a book I'll go back to again & again to aid my quiet times with God.
Joanne
Apr 25, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of daily prayers was given to me by my parents when I left home for college. Their wise attempt to save my soul : ). Have found strength and comfort amongst it's pages.
Ann
Jan 15, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I love everything about it. Published in 1949 and written by a Scottish cleric, it contains 31 morning and evening prayers. The language is beautiful, artful, comforting. He is a wordsmith of the first order, but, more than that, he is clearly a man who has spent much time talking with God. Knowing Him, being known by Him, and making Him known. His sweet, comely prayers speak my heart every time.

This little collection of prayers is a gift. "Every good and perfect gift cometh d
Libby Ingram
Feb 26, 2016 Libby Ingram rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful prayers and beautiful writing. Old-fashioned, but moving and speaks to a deep faith.
Paul
Mar 07, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love to pray (or want to)
Recommended to Paul by: Ed Wojniak
Shelves: prayers
A wonderful book of morning and evening prayers for 31 days with a special pair in the back for Sundays. The older English language usage takes a bit of getting used to but that's worth the effort. They are to be read slowly and meditatively. Pause for silence in places. These prayers encourage examen and inspire adaptation. Make them your own. This edition leaves a blank page in front of every prayer for your own notes. A good book to have and use during Lent.
Val
Dec 12, 2014 Val rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a beautiful book of daily prayer. A morning and evening prayer although the language is a bit thee and though a bit dated for my taste I still gave it 5 stars because I found the daily routine of this little book of prayer filled me with faith and the love of my God.
Kent
Mar 07, 2012 Kent rated it really liked it
Shelves: prayer

Finally, the prayers are just really well-written.
Sean Post
May 31, 2016 Sean Post rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is thirty days of prayer - with both a morning and evening prayer each day. For the last month I've read this before engaging the Scriptures each morning and it's been enjoyable.
Lisa
Dec 28, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I am so bad at reading these daily type books. It's taken me over a year to get through this one. Love the short little bite-size prayer. They were very articulate and made me think. However I just can't do it daily format book.

Finished, finally! I hate old English, so the prayers lost some of their luster in thinking through the "translation".
Jeff Crosby
Jun 06, 2012 Jeff Crosby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This "diary" of 31 morning and evening prayers by a Scottish cleric and theologian, first published in the late 1940s, will be a book that I return to several times a year as a means of prayer when my own voice is insufficient and words do not come easily. A beautiful book that I wish I'd discovered years ago.
Meg
Jul 10, 2007 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly insightful month long book of prayers, one for each morning and evening of the month. The prayers are not long but take you before God in prayer in simple, God/Christ- centered, scripturally based confession, repentence, praise and petition. A wonderful focus to start and end each day.
Joe Cox
Apr 16, 2015 Joe Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time I have read through these prayers and will continue to use it to launch my prayer time in the morning. Simply one of the best prayer resources I have read and prayed through.
Grete
Jul 27, 2011 Grete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich, beautiful prayers. I don't fully share Baillie's theology of creation or gender, but these evening and morning words to God are a tremendous source for directing worship and self-examination.
Morris
Jun 26, 2009 Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I keep this on a table in the living room by a north-facing window, where I often sit when I have some spare time. One of those books you can pick up and enjoy often.
jennifer
Mar 25, 2007 jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
a beautiful collection of morning and evening prayers over 31 days, it's been a great help in the pursuit of a deeper and more disciplined prayer life.
Anne
May 23, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the loveliest books ever written in English. A tiny little book with two pages per day (morning and evening) to spark ideas and meditation.
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Letters by a Modern Mystic
  • Compassion, Justice and the Christian Life: Rethinking Ministry to the Poor
  • At the Throne of Grace: A Book of Prayers
  • Meditating on the Word
  • Alive to Wonder: Celebrating the Influence of C.S. Lewis
John Baillie was a teacher, lecturer, preacher, and author of many books, including Christian Devotion, The Place of Jesus Christ in Modern Christianity, and A Diary of Readings. He held academic posts in the UK, the US, and Canada; was Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland; and President of the World Council of Churches. He died in 1960.
More about John Baillie...

“I thank Thee, O Lord, that Thou hast so set eternity within my heart that no earthly thing can ever satisfy me wholly.” 6 likes
“My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.” 1 likes