Start by marking “Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter” as Want to Read:
Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter

Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter

This collection of readings, drawn from the writings and sermons of 25 classic and contemporary theologians and Bible teachers, focuses on the wonder of Christ's sacrifice.

In a culture where crosses have become little more than decorative accessories and jewelry, how easy it is for even the most well-intended Christian to rush from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday without thou
Published January 6th 2009 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross

Reid
Apr 27, 2011 Reid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
A collection of sermons or studies from history's greatest teachers/preachers, past and present.

I went through this as an exercise for Lent.

These chapters were so good, it will be on my list to read again. For instance

Ch 1: True Contemplation of the Cross - "The whole value of the meditation of the suffering of Christ lies in this, that man should come to the knowledge of himself and sink and tremble." Martin Luther

Ch 2: He Set His Face to Go to Jerusalem - "And their (the disciples') misunderst
Amy Lee Ellis
Apr 01, 2014 Amy Lee Ellis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, holidays
I love this book! It's an inspirational read for me every year as we lead into Resurrection Sunday. For such a small book, it contains a wealth of good teaching. The author has collected writings both classic and modern, touching on topics relevant to the cross and resurrection of Christ. The authors range from Martin Luther and John Calvin to contemporary voices such as R.C. Sproul, John Piper, and J.I. Packer. My childhood pastor even has a selection in here!

The book starts off strong with Ma
Bob Hayton
Apr 03, 2009 Bob Hayton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
As we approach Easter, Christians everywhere remember Christ's sufferings on the old, rugged cross and the triumph of his resurrection. Indeed, the symbol of the cross is one of the few near universal Christian symbols. Protestants, Catholics and those who view themselves as neither, still cling to the cross. The gospel depends on it, Jesus' earthly life is shaped by it, the Four Gospels almost speak of nothing else. Salvation depends on it, and sanctification is fed by it. And with Paul, we all ...more
KC McCauley
Apr 01, 2009 KC McCauley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
We often label really good books/sermons as being "meaty" because they give us something really big to chew on. It would be like having a steak dinner instead of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Well, with that said, this book must be an all-you-can-eat dinner buffet! This book is a small anthology of 25 short essays that relate to Easter. Check out the content. I will let it speak for itself:

1. Martin Luther, "True Contemplation of the Cross"
2. John Piper, "He Set His Face to Go to Jerusal
Amy M
Feb 22, 2015 Amy M rated it it was amazing
I’m not Catholic, but in my parents’ home and in the reformed(Presbyterian) church I attended until I married, I grew up with a keen appreciation for the passing of the seasons and the celebrations of the church year. And this time of year, as we’ve entered the Lenten season, I find myself growing more contemplative. It’s a wintry time of examination but also of anticipation for the Resurrection.

Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross is a book I pull out to read during Lent every year. It’s a fabulous an
Joel
Mar 01, 2010 Joel rated it liked it
I have never been a fan of the genre of devotional books, but because I have so much else to read, I have found myself in books that are not as long, because I have less time. This is a pretty good volume, a bit uneven in terms of content, with a different person writing each chapter. Some I gained much from, others less so. But a few well-thought-through works made this volume worthwhile for me.
Noel Burke
Sep 12, 2014 Noel Burke rated it really liked it
My wife purchased this book for me to go through while one an extended trip for work. The book is full of sermon excerpts from giants of the Christian faith. I found it easy to digest each excerpt during a lunch break. The focus is Christ and the cross and intends to push the reader towards this topic during the Easter season. Thanks to my wife for the thoughtful gift!
librarian4Him02
In keeping with a Florida theme I started back in March, I picked up this book because it contains a brief essay by R.C. Sproul whose church is in Florida. That and I thought it would be great reading for Lent.

In the end, it was the perfect book to read in this time leading up to Easter; really prepared my mind and heart for worshiping the Lord on Easter Sunday.
Sharon
Mar 12, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
I read this book through the Easter season and it was very sobering. This book is filled with short chapters about Christ, his crucifixion and resurrection. The excerpts are written by different pastors and authors of past and present time which add a sweet sense of variety to the book. I really loved this book. I plan to make it a routine to read it around every Easter. :)
Stephen
Mar 22, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
As my Westminster Seminary professor Clair Davis used to say, "the Christian life is a combination of amnesia and deja vu: 'I can't believe I've forgotten this again.'" This book reminded me how quick I am to forget the meaning of Christ's atonement, and how much I need to remember it every day. I found the excerpts from Spurgeon, Ortlund, and Keller particularly helpful.
Maria Connor
Feb 25, 2009 Maria Connor rated it it was amazing
A variety of authors wrote the devotionals, including Martin Luther, CJ Mahaney, John Piper, Charles Spurgeon... They have been so mind and heart-provoking, reminding me in new ways of what Christ did for me. I have been overwhelmed with joy and thankfulness as I read them. This is a really good book!
Glenn
Apr 16, 2009 Glenn rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best preparations for Easter I have ever read. It features chapters from a number of great authors, from Augustine to John Owen to Raymond Ortlund and Joni Eareckson Tada (25 in all), including one of my former pastors! You won't find all equally fascinating, but you are sure to be challenged and encouraged in your relationship with the Savior.
Elaine Mazzo
Mar 19, 2013 Elaine Mazzo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional
This is a wonderful, meaty devotional to prepare your heart for the season that was soul-satisfying! There are 25 mediations that take you up to Resurrection Sunday. Since there are no dates, this book can be read every Easter season. I highly recommend it!
Mike Knox
Apr 22, 2010 Mike Knox rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
Meditations drawn from “the writings and sermons of classic and contemporary writers and teachers” to prepare the reader’s heart for Easter. For me, the selections from Ray Ortlund and Tim Keller stood out from the rest. Other contributors include Luther, Spurgeon, Owen, Calvin, Piper, and Sproul.
Linda Henderson
Mar 21, 2013 Linda Henderson rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very good read. It was easy to understand and spoke to my heart many times. It's a great book to read during the Easter season.
Judith
Jan 10, 2009 Judith added it
This Easter devotional is compiled by the same lady who compiled the Advent devotional I read this past Advent. I can't wait for Amazon to deliver it!
Eric Anderson
Eric Anderson rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
Michelle Gourley
Michelle Gourley rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2011
Dave Anderson
Dave Anderson rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Bryan Cirlot
Bryan Cirlot rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Tim Augustyn
Tim Augustyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Kyle Houlton
Kyle Houlton rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Patrick Lewis
Patrick Lewis rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Tracy
Feb 02, 2009 Tracy rated it liked it
Kevin and I will begin using this as a preparation for the greatest celebration of the year!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Pierced by the Word: Thirty-One Meditations for Your Soul
  • The Bookends of the Christian Life
  • For the Love of God: Volume One: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word
  • Comforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time
  • All Things for Good
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Romans 1 - 7 for You
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
  • The Mark of the Christian
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • A Promise Kept
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Christians Get Depressed Too: Hope and Help for Depressed People
  • Made for More: An Invitation to Live in God's Image
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ
  • The Creedal Imperative
Nancy and her husband, David, and son, Matt, make their home in Nashville, Tennessee, where they attend Christ Presbyterian Church (Presbyterian Church in America). After losing two infant children to a rare genetic disorder, Nancy writes books that reflect her compassion for hurting people and her passion for applying God's Word to real life.

In addition to teaching a weekly Bible class at her ch
More about Nancy Guthrie...