Start by marking “Summer Morning, Summer Night” as Want to Read:
Summer Morning, Summer Night

Summer Morning, Summer Night (Green Town #4)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Green Town, Illinois stands at the very heart of Ray Bradbury Country. A lovingly re-imagined version of the author's native Waukegan, it has served as the setting for such modern classics as Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Farewell Summer. In Summer Morning, Summer Night, Bradbury returns to this signature locale with a generous new collection of twen ...more
Published October 31st 2008 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about Summer Morning, Summer Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Morning, Summer Night

Jeff
Ronald Roseborough

A mix of twenty seven episodes from Bradbury's Green Town, Illinois. Some new, some published before, this collection brings to life the imagined home where Ray's magic blossoms. The stories taken as a whole are like the first glass of lemonade in summer, the first leaf that turned red in the fall floating silently to earth, the first snowflake in winter alighting on your tongue, or your first kiss in Spring. They are tales to capture in your imagination and savor again and again. Bradbury was a
Joell
Bradbury is always wonderful when writing about his favorite little town. But this book was a confused jumble of collected stories. I guess I was looking for typical Bradbury storytelling that leads you down a crooked, but wonderful path and this book jumped from trail to road and then out to uncharted territory. Some lovely moments, but all in all, I really struggled to hold my attention to the pages.
Mark Oppenlander
This is a late collection of short stories from Bradbury, all set in Green Town, Illinois. The first half of the book is mostly old material, but includes a few classics such as the delightful nail-biter "The Screaming Woman" and the bittersweet "These Things Happen."

The second half of the book is Green Town stories that have never been collected before. They seem to come from a variety of periods in Bradbury's career and they are of varying quality. None of them are truly terrible but a few are
Kerry
Ray Bradbury holds the secret of summer in this treasured little book of short stories. It's a great addition to Dandelion Wine, which I have to say I loved more, probably only because it's longer. Even though I'm not of Bradbury's generation, I can still appreciate the subtle innocence of the time period he raises from days back when.

Summer has the power to invoke thoughts of childhood swept beneath the rug of time. How it feels to take that first bite of a fresh peach straight out of the tree
Nickolai
Не самый лучший сборник рассказов Брэдбери. Часть из них представляют собой фрагменты, не вошедшие в повесть "Вино из одуванчиков". Другие до краев наполнены пессимизмом и порождают у читателя отчаяние от невозможности что-либо изменить. Но вместе с тем, автор смог создать чарующую атмосферу знойного лета посреди холодной зимы. Больше всего понравились рассказы: "Далекая гитара", "Хлеб воспоминаний", "Рассказ о любви", "Прыг-скок".
Caitlin
I enjoyed the quick pace and overall "summer" feel of this book. I was left wondering if all of the individual stories are related. Bradbury used several last names repeatedly and the location was consistently in the IL/Chicago area around (what felt like) the same time period. I look forward to reading more of Bradbury's work.
Elena
No one can write about summer the way Ray Bradbury did.

You’ll just be someone that looks at the world straight off and sees it.
You can even enjoy the duplicity of man, somehow. By recognizing that evil is natural to man, you should be able to cope with it better.

“What good is love?”
“Good. Well, I guess you’d call it a kind of lubricant. It stops friction. There are so many elbows to knock and feet to step on in this world. And so many people swatting each other in the face with pan-cake
flipp
Stephanie Ricker
I ate up Summer Morning, Summer Night. Look, I know I gush about Bradbury in every other entry here, but seriously, his stories are exquisite. If you haven't read any of his short stories, do yourself a favor and try some immediately. It doesn't even matter what collection; they're all great. Bradbury's stories ARE the seasons. I can't think of summer without thinking of Dandelion Wine, and I can't think of fall without thinking of the autumn people in Something Wicked This Way Comes. I'm convin ...more
Lachelle
At first, I didn't like the way this book started at all. I didn't realize that it was a bunch of short stories, so the first story I really got into and when I started reading the next chapter, I was asking myself "What happened?" But then, I understood that it was a collection of well written short stories and I began to like it again.

This book was an easy read and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Most of the stories were very intriguing and all had something to do with summer. The stories changed fr
Sylvia Walker
These beautifully written short stories are about loneliness, wanting to be loved, and our human frailty. Classic Ray Bradbury!
Shendara
In Summer Morning Summer Night, Bradbury returns to this signature locale (Green Town, Illinois, a re-imagined version of the author's native Waukegan) with a generous new collection of twenty-seven stories and vignettes, seventeen of which have never been published before. *

*taken from the Subterranean Press description.

A collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury with the most beautiful cover ever created for a book.
Andrew
Now that I have read this and Farewell Summer, I feel like I've read all of Dandelion Wine. This takes place in Green Town with all of it's various characters, even Doug Spaulding makes a couple of appearances. Some stories are recycled, but they are still fun to read. One story I liked showed how jealousy can kill, even at a young age. Not a bad little collection, but not great.
Heidi Haskell
Here again, we get to visit Green Town, IL.
And it is summer once more.

I rather liked this collection -- including a re-telling of the classic story "The Whole Town's Sleeping" from the Lonely One's perspective.

I don't love it as much as, say, Dandelion Wine or Something Wicked This Way Comes, but it's nice.
Kellie
Ray Bradbury is the writer I always wish I could be. He has the ability to weave words into magic and this book of short stories is merely a taste of his greatness. Of course my favorite story is about the little boy who sees the librarian for the wonderful woman she is. A wonderful summer read.
David Allen
Most of the stories here can be found in other Bradbury collections, and the unpublished vignettes are awfully slight. That said, having more of Bradbury's Illinois tales grouped together is welcome, and nobody writes about summers like him. Not up to the level of "Dandelion Wine," though.
Leslie
A collection of 27 stories set in Green Town (Waukegan) Illinois. Wonderfully written with Mr Bradbury's unique heart felt style. "The Dog" and "Summers End" were two of my favorites and "Screamimg Woman" stopped my heart !! Step into Mr Bradbury's world..he won't disappoint.
Kim
Revisiting Green Town, Illinois, with some of the characters I adored so much in Dandelion Wine. This book of short stories is a fantastic, quick read...perfect for the end of summer. I highly recommend it!
Sheela Word
Ray Bradbury is so reliably good. This is a wonderful collection of small-town tales, set in the 1930's-40's. Most are sweet, a few are unforgettably horrid.
Christy
I went into this book with zero expectation of liking it, since Dandelion Wine is my favorite book ever written, but I liked this one surprisingly well.
Audrey
It's Bradbury -- there's no way I can be objective. Perfect for summer reading, savoring little bits of Green Town like sips of cool lemonade.
Em
Feb 20, 2009 Em rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Especially liked the following stories: "Miss Bidwell", "The Screaming Woman", "Night Meeting", and "The Dog"
Nancy_dancehall
Excellent as always, this collection centers around Green Town, Illinois. Bradbury captures summer perfectly.
Paulette
Ray Bradbury - still an amazing writer. Loved this short story collection by the master.
Grace
This reminded me a bit of the book Winesburg, Ohio.Anyone else notice this?
Ellen
Probably my favorite short story collection I've read this year.
Maria
Извините, приступ ностальгии по розовой юности
Allison
Oh Ray Bradbury, how I love thee.
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Darin
Darin marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • Conjunctions: 39, The New Wave Fabulists
  • First Light
  • Muse of Fire
  • Inferno & From an Occult Diary
  • Seven for a Secret (New Amsterdam, #2)
  • Eden, Eden, Eden
  • OBERIU: An Anthology of Russian Absurdism
  • The Other City
  • Ghost Stories of 17th Century China from Po Chung-Ling's Liu Tzai Pavilion : Vol. One
  • The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • The Sound of His Horn
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)

“— Я не злодей, я реалист, — ответил Джордж, закуривая сигарету.
— Когда человек произносит такие слова, это значит, что вся злость выпирает из него наружу.”
1 likes