Start by marking “Sheep on a Ship” as Want to Read:
Sheep on a Ship

Sheep on a Ship (Sheep)

The rhyming misadventures of a group of zany sheep on a pirate ship.
Published March 27th 1989 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sheep on a Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep on a Ship

Nathaniel Mccombs
The Sheep on a Ship by Nancy Shaw is a funny yet serious book that follows six sheep on their voyage going to an unknown destination. Before their voyage the sheep didn’t check the forecast as a vicious storm appears. Before the ship is destroyed by the storm, the sheep try everything they can to save their ship. The Sheep build a raft and sail to their destination. The sheep throughout the book perform tasks that any shipmate would during times of worry and stress on the sea.
This is a great ex
Cindy Sa
Oct 29, 2014 Cindy Sa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a colorful picture book for readers to read. And there are less words inside this book. It means the readers can imagine many conversations from the picture books.
The sheep captain is very cute to stand on the sheep. Actually, at the first eyesight of the captain, I think there is a pig captain to lead the sheep. Aha. I know I look wrong, but the sheep looks very similar to the pigs.
This picture book is painted by colorful pencils. It looks very pretty and cute.
These cute sheep met a r
Laura Verret
Oct 10, 2014 Laura Verret rated it it was amazing
Alright, I have a confession to make. And that confession is that I kinda totally love Nancy Shaw’s Sheep series.

Yes, I’m an adult. Yes, I know that these are picture books. Yes, I still love them.

First off I love the illustrations. They’re so thoroughly sheepish – flouncy and fluffy, bouncy and scruffy – you get the idea. Second off I love how she portrays the sheep. Although they are our main characters she depicts them with the proper degree of helplessness and stupidity of actual sheep, but
Vivian
Sep 17, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was the third book we used in our PIRATES & CROCODILES story time. We emphasized the consonant blend SH -- SHeep on a SHip by Nancy SHaw, inviting the children to repeat it with us after holding their finger to their lips and saying a drawn out "SHHHHHHH".

There were some pages which we dramatized, such as waving our arms as the "winds whip" and pretending to tear fabric as the "sails rip". We "chopped" with pretend axes as the mast was chopped to make a raft. Then we made a loud "SPLASH
David
Jul 10, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
Sheep on a Ship by Nancy E. Shaw, illustrated by Margot Apple chronicles the rhyming misadventures of the zany sheep on a pirate ship. Does anyone else have a sinking feeling that things will go downhill fast?

Napping as a storm comes in, sheep avoid a hungry shark and abandon ship. They manage to return to port on their raft, though sheep get soaked getting onto the dock. Incompetence is their specialty...

The text features a large font, short words, rhyming, and repetition, making it a good choi
Sarah Sammis
Oct 28, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2008
Sheep on a Ship is the second book in Nancy E. Shaw's sheep series. Both my children like pirates so this book is their favorite of the series.

In this book, the herd of sheep don pirate hats and take the high seas. They aren't any more competent with sailing as they are with driving and soon find themselves in trouble.

Sheep on a Ship isn't quite as tongue tying as as Sheep on a Jeep but it does have a few tricky moments involving words rhyming with ship. If you're going to read this book out lou
Audrey
A very bright and happy picture book for children. Though there are very few words in the book the story is very clearly stated. When the captain stood on the sheep it was adorable. Children can imagine conversations between the characters leaving more for the imagination so the children can make it their own.

The illustrations are color pencil drawn and very cute. The story is based off of sheep who end up in a crazy adventure trying to survive an insane rainstorm. Of course they survive and are
Betsy
this is another one in the sheep series...
great plot structure, problem-solving discussion and the rhyme is great.
not as funny as the other sheep book but still a good read for tots.
Heloise
May 01, 2015 Heloise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just ok... not as fun as Sheep in a Jeep, which is brilliant and by far Nancy Shaw's masterpiece! Nonetheless, the colored pencil illustrations are gorgeous!
Aug 02, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Much more of a tongue twister than the original Sheep in a Jeep, but still a hilarious tale of transportation-challenged sheep.
Abby Morgan
The book makes great use of rhyme and alliteration, but I found the storyline to be a bit dull.
Sherri
Oct 15, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be careful when reading this out loud. Ship can start sounding like something else :)
Lisa C
Nov 20, 2014 Lisa C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Always love the sheep books, but not quite what I had in mind for pirate storytime
Genevieve Arhin
Oct 08, 2015 Genevieve Arhin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, rhymes
contains rhyming words that children will enjoy hearing and practicing
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this often..... the series, it is fun ...more
Garren
Shaw is the best at rhyming books that work.
Dumle Vure
I like this book beacuse the author did some creative work with the drawing in the book. there are lot of vocabulary word like waves, cloud, slosh,raft, drif grab in this book. I also like this book because it has rhyming word and the silly behavior of the sheep taking a nap on the ship.

L E: i will bring a bunch of stuff sheep to the classroom for this reading and will have the children make a ship in the class, and pretend that they are on the sea sail in the ship.
Marya
Aug 26, 2010 Marya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
FINALLY! I found a children's book with an illustrated dolphin on one page (when it's all smooth sailing), and sharks on subsequent pages (when the storm sets in). They aren't wildly exaggerated, so it's great for explaining to my little one what the difference is between the two. They're small, but head shape, blowhole, and gills are still clearly visible. Oh, and the sea gull on almost every page is nice too.
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute, funny series of books here :)

These books are full of easy rhymes. It makes a great early reader, as well as a great read-aloud for a younger preschooler or toddler.

In this book, the hapless sheep decide to go sailing like pirates! Cool, right?

Unfortunately, they're trapped in a sudden storm. It's all very exciting (and rhyme-y), but they get through it safely in the end.
The Brothers
The sheep decide to take a nautical adventure this time, but a storm changes their plans. They end up making a raft out of their mast after their ship is beset by wind and waves. Can't help but wonder what they are carrying in that treasure chest.

Fun illustrations.
Karissa
I decided to read this after reading Sheep in a Jeep and doing a science lesson around force and motion. I couldn't find a way to incorporate it in the classroom other than an easy book for independent reading. The rhyming and alliteration make it a fun read though!
Sabrina Henry
This book is about some sheep that went on a pirates ship and got into trouble after they went through a storm. I did not like it. The rhymes were weird and not catchy. The illustrations were dull and not attractive. The humor was barely picked up.
Kimber Tate
The main characters (sheep) face storms on the high seas.

Ways to use with Children: This book would be a great one to use as students study blends in word study. The use of the "sh" and "st" are prevalent throughout the text.

Picture Storybook
Kjartan A.
Nov 02, 2009 Kjartan A. rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
This was another book with little text, huge pictures and rhymes. I would use this in my classroom on the youngest children, as I think it would be kind of boring for the oldest ones with the rhymes. Though, the story could be exciting for them...
Consuelo
"Sheep on a Ship" is a rhyming book by Nancy Shaw. It is a wonderful book for emergent readers who are learning the short /i/. It is about a group of silly sheep who are pirates and do not know how to sail a ship.
Andrew Perry
Apr 10, 2012 Andrew Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, rhyming, writing
This book was a good read especially after Sheep in a Jeep. This book is a great choice for a lesson on rhyming words with young students. The story is great for preschool or kindergarten students.
Heidi-Marie
I think I preferred the storyline for "Sheep in a Jeep." However, this story is still cute and still has the good elements as the other book--rhyme scheme, good pictures, easy words.
Rob
Dec 25, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-holden
Almost as much fun as Sheep in a Jeep . Almost.

That said: pirates!
Tara
Nov 17, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tongue twisting rhymes. Nice pencil drawings. Cute sheep doing silly things and getting themselves into trouble. I like how these are pirate sheep on a ship, a nice touch.
Kendra
Sep 02, 2011 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this book are so funny-I just wish they were bigger. I'd like to blow up the whole book so it would be easier for a group to see all the funny details.
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • Doggone Dogs
  • Henny Penny
  • Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are