Start by marking “Sheep on a Ship” as Want to Read:
Sheep on a Ship

Sheep on a Ship (Sheep)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The rhyming misadventures of a group of zany sheep on a pirate ship.
Published March 27th 1989 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Sheep on a Ship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep on a Ship

Nathaniel Mccombs
The Sheep on a Ship by Nancy Shaw is a funny yet serious book that follows six sheep on their voyage going to an unknown destination. Before their voyage the sheep didn’t check the forecast as a vicious storm appears. Before the ship is destroyed by the storm, the sheep try everything they can to save their ship. The Sheep build a raft and sail to their destination. The sheep throughout the book perform tasks that any shipmate would during times of worry and stress on the sea.
This is a great ex
Cindy Sa
This is a colorful picture book for readers to read. And there are less words inside this book. It means the readers can imagine many conversations from the picture books.
The sheep captain is very cute to stand on the sheep. Actually, at the first eyesight of the captain, I think there is a pig captain to lead the sheep. Aha. I know I look wrong, but the sheep looks very similar to the pigs.
This picture book is painted by colorful pencils. It looks very pretty and cute.
These cute sheep met a r
Alright, I have a confession to make. And that confession is that I kinda totally love Nancy Shaw’s Sheep series.

Yes, I’m an adult. Yes, I know that these are picture books. Yes, I still love them.

First off I love the illustrations. They’re so thoroughly sheepish – flouncy and fluffy, bouncy and scruffy – you get the idea. Second off I love how she portrays the sheep. Although they are our main characters she depicts them with the proper degree of helplessness and stupidity of actual sheep, but
David
Sheep on a Ship by Nancy E. Shaw, illustrated by Margot Apple chronicles the rhyming misadventures of the zany sheep on a pirate ship. Does anyone else have a sinking feeling that things will go downhill fast?

Napping as a storm comes in, sheep avoid a hungry shark and abandon ship. They manage to return to port on their raft, though sheep get soaked getting onto the dock. Incompetence is their specialty...

The text features a large font, short words, rhyming, and repetition, making it a good choi
Sarah Sammis
Sheep on a Ship is the second book in Nancy E. Shaw's sheep series. Both my children like pirates so this book is their favorite of the series.

In this book, the herd of sheep don pirate hats and take the high seas. They aren't any more competent with sailing as they are with driving and soon find themselves in trouble.

Sheep on a Ship isn't quite as tongue tying as as Sheep on a Jeep but it does have a few tricky moments involving words rhyming with ship. If you're going to read this book out lou
Audrey
A very bright and happy picture book for children. Though there are very few words in the book the story is very clearly stated. When the captain stood on the sheep it was adorable. Children can imagine conversations between the characters leaving more for the imagination so the children can make it their own.

The illustrations are color pencil drawn and very cute. The story is based off of sheep who end up in a crazy adventure trying to survive an insane rainstorm. Of course they survive and are
Betsy
this is another one in the sheep series...
great plot structure, problem-solving discussion and the rhyme is great.
not as funny as the other sheep book but still a good read for tots.
Much more of a tongue twister than the original Sheep in a Jeep, but still a hilarious tale of transportation-challenged sheep.
Lisa C
Always love the sheep books, but not quite what I had in mind for pirate storytime
Dumle Vure
I like this book beacuse the author did some creative work with the drawing in the book. there are lot of vocabulary word like waves, cloud, slosh,raft, drif grab in this book. I also like this book because it has rhyming word and the silly behavior of the sheep taking a nap on the ship.

L E: i will bring a bunch of stuff sheep to the classroom for this reading and will have the children make a ship in the class, and pretend that they are on the sea sail in the ship.
Marya
FINALLY! I found a children's book with an illustrated dolphin on one page (when it's all smooth sailing), and sharks on subsequent pages (when the storm sets in). They aren't wildly exaggerated, so it's great for explaining to my little one what the difference is between the two. They're small, but head shape, blowhole, and gills are still clearly visible. Oh, and the sea gull on almost every page is nice too.
Connie
Very cute, funny series of books here :)

These books are full of easy rhymes. It makes a great early reader, as well as a great read-aloud for a younger preschooler or toddler.

In this book, the hapless sheep decide to go sailing like pirates! Cool, right?

Unfortunately, they're trapped in a sudden storm. It's all very exciting (and rhyme-y), but they get through it safely in the end.
Karissa
I decided to read this after reading Sheep in a Jeep and doing a science lesson around force and motion. I couldn't find a way to incorporate it in the classroom other than an easy book for independent reading. The rhyming and alliteration make it a fun read though!
Sabrina Henry
This book is about some sheep that went on a pirates ship and got into trouble after they went through a storm. I did not like it. The rhymes were weird and not catchy. The illustrations were dull and not attractive. The humor was barely picked up.
Kimber Tate
The main characters (sheep) face storms on the high seas.

Ways to use with Children: This book would be a great one to use as students study blends in word study. The use of the "sh" and "st" are prevalent throughout the text.

Picture Storybook
Kjartan A.
This was another book with little text, huge pictures and rhymes. I would use this in my classroom on the youngest children, as I think it would be kind of boring for the oldest ones with the rhymes. Though, the story could be exciting for them...
Consuelo
"Sheep on a Ship" is a rhyming book by Nancy Shaw. It is a wonderful book for emergent readers who are learning the short /i/. It is about a group of silly sheep who are pirates and do not know how to sail a ship.
Andrew Perry
This book was a good read especially after Sheep in a Jeep. This book is a great choice for a lesson on rhyming words with young students. The story is great for preschool or kindergarten students.
Heidi
I think I preferred the storyline for "Sheep in a Jeep." However, this story is still cute and still has the good elements as the other book--rhyme scheme, good pictures, easy words.
Rob
Almost as much fun as Sheep in a Jeep . Almost.

That said: pirates!
Tara
Great tongue twisting rhymes. Nice pencil drawings. Cute sheep doing silly things and getting themselves into trouble. I like how these are pirate sheep on a ship, a nice touch.
Kendra
The illustrations in this book are so funny-I just wish they were bigger. I'd like to blow up the whole book so it would be easier for a group to see all the funny details.
Josiah
I would give one and a half stars to this nice story with very good illustrations drawn by Margot Apple. I always enjoyed reading this book, or having it read to me.
Lydia
As Nancy Shaw's books always are, this is a great text to use to teach basic phonics elements directly. Many different word families embedded in the text...
Aliza
This was a good book for my 6 yr old to read. She enjoyed the simple words and being able to read a "big book" on her own.
Polly
Well, the ship certainly isn't as good as the jeep, or even the shop or out to eat, but it's still cute. And rhyming.
Michelle
Great rhythm, funny for the kids, interesting illustrations. I think my class of two year olds will like this one.
Celeste
The sheep are at it again! My child loves to know what the sheep are doing and enjoys the illustrations.
Kristen Leininger
Picture Book: Great rhyming-scheme and alliterations. Good for children with beginning reading skills.
Sharon
A cute book with quick rhymes and silly illustrations showing an eventful voyage for some brave sheep.
  • "I Can't," Said the Ant
  • Henny Penny
  • Hello Baby!
  • Time for Bed, Fred!
  • Blue Goose
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • The Big Orange Splot
Sheep in a Jeep Sheep in a Shop Sheep Out to Eat Sheep Blast Off! Sheep Trick or Treat