Start by marking “Book of Shadows (Wicca, #1)” as Want to Read:
Book of Shadows (Wicca, #1)

Book of Shadows (Sweep #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  15,480 ratings  ·  845 reviews
Something is happening to me that I don't understand. I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do. Powerful things. Magickal things. It scares me. I never chose to learn witchcraft. But now witchcraft is choosing me.

Sixteen-year-old Morgan is not who she thought she was. But in that case, who is she?
Published February 7th 2002 by Puffin Books (first published January 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Shadows, please sign up.

Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWings by Aprilynne PikeThe Maze Runner by James DashnerStolen by Lucy Christopher
Great Lesser-known Books!
37th out of 498 books — 480 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
266th out of 961 books — 10,181 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
This review is really about the whole Sweep series, but I'm putting it with Book One because that's where people will go to find out whether all of them are worth reading. I started out really enjoying the series, then HATED WITH A PASSION what seemed to be going on, and then am left now feeling really sad and cheated. I've never started out liking a series and then turned around and felt so angry and disappointed and sad after it ended.

Firstly, I have to say that I really enjoyed books 1 - 6.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Michaela Pallante aka "Mickey" for TeensReadToo.com

Morgan Rowlands is a normal teenage girl. She gets good grades, hangs out with her friends, and goes to church with her family on Sundays. Nothing out of the ordinary ever happens to her... until she meets Cal Blaire.

Cal is the new cute senior who has just transferred to Widow's Vale High. His looks aren't the only thing that sets him apart from other boys. He's Wiccan, a different religion than Morgan and one that she has never com
Mindy
Wow! What can I say without completely ruining this book?

In previous reviews; I have complained about books with way too much page filler but not this book! It is a small, quick, easy and entertaining read!

Unlike a lot of the other Urban Fantasy books I have been reading lately, this book seemed really lifelike! I could see how this would make someone curious about Wicca. I don't believe in "Wicca" or White Magic but I could see how this book could make someone really want to study into it.

Morga
Jenie
Scale of 1-10: 4
Pros: Tiernan's writing does not suck, and she might be able to get decent mileage out of her story, as the books are short and quick reads.
Cons: Struck me as a Harry Potter retread with an older, female heroine.

Synopsis: Morgan Rowlands finds out she's got a talent for witchcraft after superhot, supernatural Cal Blaire moves to her small, upstate NY town and starts slingin' the magic mojo around...not that anyone seems to notice or think it's weird.

My take: In a nutshell? Tiern
April
Kimi
I don't get it. This book has no actual plot or major conflict to speak of, the characters are unconvincing and inconsistent, there's no action, no suspense, no romance, and very little logic or explanation about how anything works (like the MC suddenly waking up clairvoyant). There's also quite a bit of repetitive exposition and, overall, the whole thing is poorly executed.

The very little that could be foreshadowed is blatantly obvious from the start and will probably somehow take several book
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Jul 05, 2014 Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of coming of age stories with a touch of magic.
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

A fantastic first book full of magic, mystery and discovery.
This is around the 4/5 time I've read this book now and it never disappoints! I first discovered this series aged 14, and in a weird way, I almost feel like the books chose me. They came to me in a point in my life where I really needed them, and held for me some key advice and life lessons that helped me deal with several big changes going on at that time. These books are i
Kaisa
Nononononono T_T I wanted this book to be good. But then again, what was I thinking? If a book is 160 pages long.. and also a part of a series with three gazillion other books... it just can't be good.

I don't know why, but recently I've been interested in wicca. It's probably cuz I've been re-watching Charmed. The TV show.
Anyway, that's why I bought the first three books in this series. I wanted to read about witches.

This book is about a bunch of teens who get involved with a wiccan witch dude
Loren
Oct 26, 2007 Loren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
A wonderful start to 'Sweep'/'Wicca'. *Spoilers books 1-4*

Tiernan has an incredible talent for creating uniquely vivid characters. Normally I shy away from books written in the 1st person, but this was pleasantly different.

The vulnerable nature of the main character means we can begin to empathise with her unusually quickly. This also blinds us to simple truths such as Hunter and Sky's true natures. We stand united with Morgan against them and we too feel crushed at Cal's betrayal.

The ending i
Stefanie
Jun 14, 2011 Stefanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers and Adults, who are young at heart!
This book was great! I really enjoyed it! Even though nothing spectacular happens in the first book (beside Morgans "best friend" Bree behaving like a slut and a bitch) there was no action, no finale. But this was ok. The first book was like an Intro for me, a long Prolog or so, the basic to what will come in the other books, I guess.
You get to know some stuff about Wicca, which is really nice to read and very interesting, if youre into stuff like that. It describes also the struggles that a pe
Chibineko
First off, let me say that if you are looking for a true to life portrayal of the Wiccan faith, look elsewhere. Yes, the author has taken great pains to stay as close to the actual practice as possible, but she still takes several liberties in order to make for a good story. Even so, this is one of the very few mainstream series I've read that actually gets the main gist of the Pagan religion.

Now for the story. The story focuses around Morgan, a somewhat normal girl. When the cute new boy in sc
Kristine
I heard about this book from a friend, and as soon as i heard witches, i ran to Barnes to get it. The book is very small for starters, and the text tends to be annoying, but keep in mind that there are a total of 10 books in the series. However, not even that could save it. The dialogue was extremely annoying if your a young adult and not a tween. Though it doesn't make sense since the characters in the book are supposed to be young adults. The storyline was somewhat interesting, but annoying an ...more
Dee
Overall: The Sweep series by Cate is a light read, yet still really interesting. I felt like this was the sorbet course, a hiatus, amidst my reading of George RR Martin's much weightier tomes. Every novel covers Magick, young love and fitting in (or not!).

However, a novel in the Sweep series is so short that it is almost a chapter in the lives of the characters.
Plus: The Wiccan research is pretty intense, and the books give an authentic feel to being in a coven and the troubles/challenges a youn
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Mar 30, 2012 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
Shelves: sunny-says
Let me start off by saying that I admit to being a very picky reader. I don't do well with school-settings and when it comes to Magick it's usually very very lame.

And when my bud told me that I should read the SWEEP Series I must admit that I was afraid. What do I do if I don't like it? I mean... it's at this school and told from the pov of a girl who goes to a school and is learninging about Wicca from a new boy in town.

Ummmm.... Is this going to make me roll my eyes?

Well, I took the plunge and
Tara Day
I've read this series several times now and enjoy it every time. I love how Morgan is a normal girl - not gorgeous, not social, not a mean girl. It's easier to relate to her since most of her readers are your "average" girls as well. It's also easier to get into because the Cate Tiernan describes Wicca in a correct, positive way while still remaining true to fiction.

Reading it takes no time at all, but it sucks you in quickly. The details are short and simple while still providing you with visu
Honour
This book felt less like a fantasy story and more like an intro to Wicca. Morgan takes you through her experience of meeting a practicing witch and her struggle with deciding whether to practice herself. As you can imagine, all sorts of problems present themselves.

Number one complaint- It's too short! If you like a quick read, fine but if not I would suggest going for the bundled Sweep Volume 1 (books 1-3)? I can't stand paying $5-$6 on a book this size when you can get 3 of them for $7-$8. Even
Noelia Alonso
This was even more horrible than I'd thought it would be.
Jackie "the Librarian"
Dec 19, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens 13 and up
Shelves: horror, youngadult, magic
Morgan is incredibly attracted to Cal, a new senior at her school, but so is her friend Bree. Cal invites both of them to what ends up being a Wicca ritual. Morgan is fascinated by Wicca, and some weird psychic events that happened to her after that night. But overshadowing her enthusiasm is a rivalry developing between her and Bree.
Very readable, with a strong plot. I wish the end hadn't been as abrupt - it's a total cliff-hanger. Not for those who object to the occult and magic, or for sexual
Conny
Lots of grammar errors in this book, but I kept reading.
It's a book for teenage girls who are into Wicca, I am an addult but I love Wicca, so tha't why I had to read it.

I'm not sure if I will read all 15 books lol.
Maybe after another good horror story I will hehe.

Because I LOVE Wicca, and I understand teenagers, I'll give this book 4 stars.
(I will not judge about the grammar errors)
Sarah Elise
4/5
I really liked this book, I love stories about witches so I am biased though haha. The only downside to it was that it was pretty short and involved quite a bit of world building but I love the premise and romance and I am so hooked
Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Original Review found at: www.awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com

Okay, I like a good witch story as much as the next guy but this...This just was a disappointment. I don't mind short stories but there was no reason for this to have 4 or 5 books in the series. The writing seemed a bit lazy as there was no real descriptions, just enough to fill in the blanks and a bit of back ground just on Morgan and Cals side not really in any of the other characters.

Morgan is a regular girl and doesn't know she has sp
♥★Julia
Mar 12, 2015 ♥★Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want an awesome, non-cliche teen book
When Morgan meets Cal, everything changes. Despite her close-minded Catholic upbringing, she finds herself drawn to the fascinating world of Wicca, and soon realizes that she has a gift....

I LOVED this book! I felt like Morgan and I both had so much in common; a Catholic upbringing, and a Wiccan transformation. I kept rooting for her to overcome her parents and their judgement, and to choose the right path!

The characters were quite diverse; some ultra conservative Christians balanced by relaxed
Anna
I liked this book quite a lot i have to say!It's the first YA book about witches and only witches i have ever read and it was quite fun reading it.Surely it was too small to be bored, so that's both a plus and a minus!It's a plus because you'll never get tired while reading it and the plot was quickly evolving and a minus because the ending was quite abrupt...I had reached the end and thought "What,there's nothing more?" .

I really liked Tiernan's writing style.She didn't go around the bush,just
Lissa
I've always been an enormous fan of witches, probably from watching so much Buffy and reading so much fantasy as a teenager. And although I have no religious or supernatural beliefs, I like reading about paganism and witchcraft. I was looking for a quick, fun fantasy or paranormal read, particularly in the YA genre (my favourite guilty pleasure), and I ran across Sweep. Sadly, it's one of the most pointless, boring books I have ever read.

Literally, NOTHING happens in this book. A girl meets a c
Maria

click here for more book reviews.

*****

Can somebody say LAME! for me?

it was such a letdown. i find it hard to finish this one. fortunately, this is a short read.

Morgan (love her name) is a smart high school student with Bree (goddess-like look) as her best friend. when a new boy moves to town and started recruiting members to build a new coven, Bree and Morgan tag along. little did Morgan know that this will be the start of her new life. as a witch.

there was no conflict. well, there's this Bree a
Frishawn Rasheed
I started reading this book because I kept seeing it when I visited my online library. I must admit that I was not overjoyed when I added it to my TBR list. I just thought, "Oh well...what can it hurt."
I am so happy to report that I was so very wrong. Morgan and Bree were the best of friends...until Cal. Everything was joy and butterflies and everyone knew their place...until Cal. Bree was the beautiful Alpha to Morgan's wallflower Beta...until Cal. Morgan had no idea that she was a witch and
Charlotte Phillips
It may be a short book but it is appearing to be a very interesting series. I found the first book of the series to be very addictive and engaging because it was different, unique but it also spoke of truth. Wicca is something that I have been interested in for a while. I would love to learn about it and understand it more, but I also could not break away from my Catholic religion. So I thought reading a book based on the religion would be close enough for me to learn about it a little, whilst e ...more
Jan
Morgan is your average 16 year old. She makes good grades and goes to church with her family. Her best friend, Bree, is part of the "in" crowd but they have remained friends even though they belong to different cliques. When a new boy, Cal, comes to school, Morgan is completely taken with him. She has never felt like that about a boy. What is even more surprising is that Cal seems to like her too. When Cal reveals that he and his family practice Wicca as a religion, Morgan, Bree and several othe ...more
Nikki Nielsen
Two stars and yet I am reading #2. Why am I sticking with the series? Tiernan creates likable believable characters and I like her writing style. Why only 2 stars? Book of Shadows felt like Harry Potter meets Bella and Edward in New York .. and I guess I don't especially appreciate the 'Band Wagon' magical/supernatural authors.

Storyline - Morgan is a teenager with normal teenage issues; she feels plain and self-conscious, her friends are her life, she loves her family even though they drive her
Fazeena
The Book of Shadows (Wicca) is an interesting story about witchcraft. The story is about a girl called Morgan Rowland who is a normal girl that does carries out normal day to day activities. Suddenly strange things start happening to her when Cal Blair moves into town. Cal is a cool kid who everyone likes and is a secret witch. Morgan later learns that she is a powerful witch which supernatural powers. Morgan is amazed by the new found religion in her life (wicca). She is the most popular kid in ...more
Bizarre 29 101 Mar 23, 2014 05:22PM
Book Discussions ...: * Book of Shadows 1 5 Mar 12, 2013 02:16PM
  • Written in the Stars (Circle of Three, #12)
  • Last Dance (The Seer, #2)
  • Betrayed (Fingerprints, #5)
  • Moon Demon (Daughters of the Moon, #7)
  • Silver Is for Secrets (Blue is for Nightmares, #3)
  • Once a Witch (Witch, #1)
  • The Captive (The Secret Circle, #2)
191456
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more
More about Cate Tiernan...

Sweep (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Seeker (Sweep, #10)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
The Coven (Sweep, #2) Immortal Beloved (Immortal Beloved, #1) Blood Witch (Sweep, #3) Dark Magick (Sweep, #4) Awakening (Sweep, #5)

“Anytime you feel love for anything, be it stone, tree, lover, or child, you are touched by the Goddess's magick...” 82 likes
“In fairy tales there's always one person who is made for one other, and they find each other and live happily ever after. Cal was my person. I couldn't imagine anyone more perfect. Yet what kind of sick fairy tale would it be if he was the one made exactly right for me and I wasn't right for him?” 21 likes