Start by marking “Dark Magick (Wicca, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dark Magick (Wicca, #4)

Dark Magick (Sweep #4)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  10,601 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
I loved Cal. I trusted him. He taught me about Wicca. He helped me find out who I am. Then I met Hunter. He warned me that Cal is dangerous... evil. Now I must find out the truth. If Hunter is right, we are all in great danger.

Morgan knows now she is a blood witch. But she doesn't know who or what to trust - except her magick.
Published May 2nd 2002 by Puffin Books (first published June 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Magick

This was an okay story although the pace made it drag a bit, even though it wasn’t very long. We got some real revelations about Cal in this book, and this pair ended this book in a very different place to where they started it. I always thought that (view spoiler)

6 out of 10
Loren
Oct 27, 2007 Loren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Cal, how could you? How could you! *spoilers*

I don't think Morgan was wrong about not forgiving Cal for his betrayals. I would have forgiven him though, were it me.
Okay, i'm a guy so i'm biased but to Cal's credit:

He really loved her, he was willing to do anything to protect Morgan from his mother; kill her (a litttle extreme), sacrifice himself (which does happen) etc.

We were completely on Cal's side, the reader feels safe when they're around Cal. Things are less complicated; Hunter/Sky-bad peo
quinnster
This girl's idiocy knows no bounds it seems.

When she goes to Practical Magick and David asks her who she can trust and she replies that she can trust herself. Her own instincts told her to run when Cal mentioned people who wanted to meet her. Her own instincts told her to get out of his secret room because the vibrations were bad, yet she thinks Hunter is 'misguided'. Any information anyone gives her she takes as they just don't know even though they've been witches their whole lives and she's b
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
The end of book three was intense and bewildering. Obviously, Cal controls Morgan, it's not a real love, I think that's why Hunter and Sky sigils her house so maybe she can see. I can't believe that Cal and Morgan might have killed Hunter, I suspect that he might be Morgan's soulmate!

So Hunter thankfully isn't dead, Morgan is so happy and relived she didn't kill him, unlike Cal who wishes they did. Morgan start seeing things in Cal she didn't like, when her tries to sleep with her, she can't do
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 Chibineko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do have to give the reader a potential warning: if you thought that you were addicted to the series before, you most certainly will be after reading this book!!

The story once again picks up on the very tail end of the previous book. In order to save her boyfriend, Morgan had to attack someone. Understandably traumatized, Morgan starts to distance herself from her boyfriend Cal after the event. When she begins to grow suspect of Selene & Cal's intentions, Morgan finds that almost everythin
Abbie
Jan 24, 2016 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a few times in this where I felt quite bored, and I had to have a bit of a break from it as it was starting to drag. It was an okay read overall though.
Myra
Jul 01, 2012 Myra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This review is originally posted on my blog:

Expectations

I've been trying to keep interested in this story, but somehow I've been putting this book down a lot. I don't know why, maybe it's because the story-line is a little dragging without something really happening. So far, the spells aren't that interesting. I hope the rest of the book is more action packed with a better plot development.

Review

So I will try to describe my feelings about this book. I tri
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today’s review is on Dark Magick by Cate Tiernan

Dark Magick is the 4th book in Tiernan’s Sweep series and I have to say that with each book I read in the series the more I enjoy them.

In Dark Magick Morgan finds out that Cal and his mother are also Woodbane witches and that they practice “traditional” magick. Traditional meaning that they practice dark magick. She also learns that Cal has been helping his mother find other Woodbane witches to join her coven. His job was to find the female witches
Samantha Tolleson
Sep 14, 2010 Samantha Tolleson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Samantha by: Goodreads
Ah so I see that Cal's true colors have been revealed. I swear that I saw this coming since the introduction of Selene in book 1. I knew something wasn't right with that woman. She was to fake and syrupy.
I feel really bad for Morgan, but at the same time I don't at all, for falling for Cal. For some reason I'm so reminded of Patch from Hush, Hush. There really isn't something right with the fiction for young adults. Do girls really find these situations romantic or attractive?
 photo mlfw4779_medium_zpse9af3923.jpg
Cinthia
Aug 09, 2016 Cinthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katrina
Jul 11, 2015 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copies
ஐ฿υκєτஐ
Hiç şaşırmadım.Tam beklediğim şeyler oldu.
Whitney
Plot

We’re actually getting some plot! Yay! And it only took three whole books! (sarcasm) The plot is interesting, but not terribly unique. Morgan is powerful and evil people want her strength. Read it a million times. It’ll be interesting to see what Tiernan actually does with this plotline. I’m sad that it took forever and a day for the actual story to begin.

Writing

I’ve noticed that Tiernan has a bad thing with repetition. How many times is Mary K. surrounded by friends after leaving Das Boot?
Tomjerry1
Apr 19, 2012 Tomjerry1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ZUM INHALT:

Liebe, Gefahr und Magie – die mitreißende Hexensaga geht weiter!
Morgan ist geschockt: Mit einer klaffenden Wunde in der Kehle ist Hunter die Klippe hinuntergefallen. Hat er den Sturz in den eiskalten Fluss überlebt? Der Gedanke, womöglich für den Tod eines Menschen verantwortlich zu sein, lastet sehr auf Morgan. Doch nicht nur das – Cal gesteht ihr, dass er genau wie sie von den Woodbanes abstammt und davon schon sein Leben lang gewusst hat. Warum hat er sie angelogen? Als sich Morgan
Daniela
Apr 13, 2011 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!! Ohhhh, Cal, you're an evil evil little witch! I knew he was bad news from the beginning, and this story just nailed it for all of us. I have to say, as much as I had a bad feeling about him, I was still hoping & secretly rooting for him, that he was not a bad guy. But, with a mother like Selene, who could blame him?

Book #4 and I'm so engrossed with this series, that I've read three books just today alone. I didn't think I'd enjoy them, as much am I am.

This
Alana
Feb 12, 2009 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q32009
Level 1:
what coven does morgan belong to? morgans mother was from a long line of woodbanes so naturally that was morgans heritage. however, morgans mother was from belwicket, the clan that renounced evil.

What is the name of morgans car? Das boots

Who puts spells on morgans house? Sky and Hunter walk around Morgans house and puts spells and runes, but morgan doesnt' know why.

Level 2:
Why did Morgans parents not tell her she was adopted all these years?
Her parents adopted her when she was 8 months o
Chelsea Barva-kertesz
Jodie
i love this series! It is seriously all i can think about. I mean while going to sleep, in my dreams, even in the shower i think of Cal, Morgan, Hunter, Robbie, Bree, Sky, Raven & the rest of the crew. I am just upset i can't find these books in stock at any local bookstores. I've been borrowinf from the library but someone lost Spellbound so i'm upset i can't find it anywhere. I am about to order it off the internet NOW!! Seriouly if you are an avid reader like me (for instance other than m ...more
Kirsti
Oct 26, 2011 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HA! (view spoiler) This series only gets better and better.

The characters are really developing, especially Morgan. She needs to learn more, and I hope she gets some better teachers (David and Alyce for example)

Here we have twists and turns and a great deal of mystery. We have history too, and a deeper knowledge of what's going on.

It's still not enough though, this book ends with a cliffhanger
Stefanie
Jun 14, 2011 Stefanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Cal... how could you???
:`-(

It was gripping and thrilling. Very entertaining and interesting. The whole situation has changed now. And in the end, Bree came to save Morgan. At least something good!
I am still not sure what to think about Hunter, I know everyone who read the whole series loves Hunter, so I am VERY curious how it goes on now...
But now I gotta go, I have to read Book #5!
Bye!
;)
Christy
Sep 16, 2015 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With each new book in the series, I become more invested with the characters. I just can't put these books down and now that I know the Gaelic names for some of them I feel even more caught up in the story. The story has me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next. On my way to grab book 5!
Sanne
Aug 21, 2016 Sanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
loved this one!! the best so far
Sabra
Jan 20, 2015 Sabra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stupid, stupid girl. I hope she grows a brain, otherwise I'm not going to make it through the rest of this series. My eyes are going to fall out from rolling them so hard
Toni Garcia
Aug 05, 2010 Toni Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan is amazing in this book. I must say this book was my favorite so far. I havent read the fifth yet but this was actioned pack. I finished this book in one day.
Say-Boo!!!!!
Feb 08, 2016 Say-Boo!!!!! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not see that twist coming. All of the books in this series are super short and quick to read but they carry a big bang. I am enjoying reading them very much.
Suzie
This book is by far the best of the series so far. The plot has taken a turn to the dark side and I do so love the dark
Anuschka
Jan 05, 2013 Anuschka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Grandiose Fortsetzung !
Tiffany Bolin
May 09, 2017 Tiffany Bolin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Again, I read these books once a year. I highly recommend to my friends.
Geri
Jan 01, 2017 Geri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This was the best one yet! Did not want to put it down.
Brina
May 15, 2014 Brina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die "Das Buch der Schatten"-Reihe geht für mich in die vierte Runde und ich war sehr gespannt, nachdem mich der dritte Band "Bluthexe" doch ein wenig enttäuscht zurückgelassen hat, aber zum Glück hat sich die Reihe wieder gefangen und "Flammende Gefahr" konnte wieder am Niveau der ersten beiden Bände anknüpfen.

Cate Tiernan begeistert mich immer wieder mit ihrem spannenden und flüssigen Schreibstil. Die Geschichte ist nicht mehr ganz so vorhersehbar un die neuen Figuren wurden gut in die Geschic
Book Discussions ...: * Dark Magick 2 2 Mar 16, 2013 05:53PM
  • Initiation (Circle of Three, #15)
  • Fatal Charm (The Seer, #5)
  • Witches' Night Out
  • Night Shade (Daughters of the Moon, #3)
191456
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more
More about Cate Tiernan...

Sweep (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Seeker (Sweep, #10)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)

“David held up his hands. "Hold it. This is going nowhere. You two are both afraid, and being afraid makes you angry, and being angry makes you lash out."
"Thank you, Dr. Laura," I said snippily.
"I'm not afraid of her," Hunter said, like a six-year-old, and I wanted to kick him under the table. Now that I knew he was actually alive, I remembered just how unpleasant he was.”
11 likes