Start by marking “It's Not Necessarily Not the Truth: Dreaming Bigger Than the Town You're From” as Want to Read:
It's Not Necessarily Not the Truth: Dreaming Bigger Than the Town You're From

It's Not Necessarily Not the Truth: Dreaming Bigger Than the Town You're From

America knows Jaime Pressly as Joy Turner, the feisty cheatin' ex-wife of Earl Hickey on the NBC hit show My Name Is Earl. Like her character, the Emmy Award-winning actress is, at heart, a smart, vibrant, small-town Southern girl. In this humorous and honest book, she recalls her journey from Kinston, North Carolina, to Hollywood, California, to motherhood, and the forti

Published March 17th 2009 by William Morrow (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not Necessarily Not the Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not Necessarily Not the Truth

Hilari
Jun 24, 2009 Hilari rated it it was ok
Okay. I think that to "write" an autobiography, one needs to have lived a life worth reading about. I thought Jaime Pressly's story would be one filled with drug abuse, poverty, scandalous affairs sprinkled with folksy southern charm. Basically it is a story about a girl who moved to California, worked as an actress and finally landed a nice TV role. Not much to tell.
Katy
Oct 23, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I saw Jaime Pressly on Letterman, peddling her book, and he asked her if it was a memoir. She said no, she was too young for that, but that it was just a book of stories. Well, I LOVE memoirs, and was a bit disappointed. I am a fan of hers, partly because she's southern, and I totally dig southern. The beginning left a lot to be desired, and I almost gave up on it, after realizing the most interesting thing she'd written was that she went to high school with Jerry Stackhouse. I love love love me ...more
Bobby Simic
Oct 01, 2009 Bobby Simic rated it liked it
Not exactly sure why I decided to read this. I don't dislike "My Name Is Earl" and Jaime Pressly, but I wouldn't call myself a fan either.

But after initially rolling my eyes when I learned that Jaime Pressly had written a book, I read some positive reviews and decided to give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised. The best parts are at the beginning when she recounts her Southern upbringing (chock full of Southern-isms as an added bonus). It lost its way when she went off to California to "make
D. George
Feb 24, 2014 D. George rated it really liked it
Jaime has a lovely writing voice, and it was fun (and sometimes sad) to read her stories from her youth and her North Carolina. This book allows you to see Jaime the human, rather than just Jaime the glamorous, gorgeous movie star. However, something about it felt incomplete, perhaps because it is written in a circular, story-telling fashion rather than a linear progression.

Having said that, I enjoyed the book, and wish she would write more books.
Beth Bernier Pratt
Nov 17, 2009 Beth Bernier Pratt rated it it was ok
It's a celebrity memoir, which implies certain things. I grabbed it at the library because I like the celebrity, Jaime Pressly, who plays Joy on "My Name Is Earl". Reading this book reminded me why I don't generally care to meet famous people. I would prefer to enjoy the art or work that a famous person produces, rather than try to enjoy their personality. Reading a celebrity memoir is like trying to enjoy their personality rather than their work.
Katie Lynn
Sep 29, 2011 Katie Lynn rated it it was ok
Felt unpolished and haphazard to me. The idea that we are alive in and live on in our stories is beautiful, but I don't think it was fully realized in her book. The best part of it was the last chapter... the letter to her child.

"Knowing somebody well really only means you've gotten so close to them that the lines in their personality separating good from bad are too blurred for you to even try to judge them anymore. Some people also call that love."
Mary
Feb 18, 2010 Mary rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, memoir
I kind of thought there might have been more to this one. It's not bad--- stories of the actress's childhood and early days in Hollywood, written for her newborn son, but there are large holes in the story (she was in a show I liked about ten years ago and she doesn't even mention it by name). The writing was oddly uneven--- sometimes very high-minded and correct, sometimes dialect. I think some of the seams were showing from ghostwriters, etc. Diverting but not broadening.
Valerie
Mar 20, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
Reviewed for ALA's "Booklist" magazine -- appears in the March 1, 2009 issue. If you have a subscription, you can read my review at BooklistOnline.com at:

This review can also be read on Amazon.com at: http://ow.ly/YuVpy
Marjanne
May 27, 2009 Marjanne rated it it was ok
Meh. This memoir was ok. It wasn't difficult to read and mildly entertaining in a few places. For me the memoirs need to be by interesting people who have contributed a lot to society or their relative profession. Personally, I am not very familiar with Jamie Pressly's work and her book didn't do much for me. Maybe someone who is more of a fan would find this interesting.
Natalie
Jun 29, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
This isn't any big shocker, no dirty secrets revealed, it's almost not really an autobiography. It's more a collection of stories from her life, in kind of chronological order, as "told" to her newborn baby boy. It was an interesting read for a summer afternoon.
Kate SouthernBelleSimple
I couldn't get into this...and I really wanted to. I knew some of her story already and maybe that was a detriment to my liking the book. I just didn't care to dedicate anymore time to it when I had some other must-reads in the pile.
M J
Mar 26, 2009 M J rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
...I couldn't get into this book. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into the styles and the stories. Seemed scattered to me.
Patti
Jan 09, 2010 Patti rated it liked it
I am not a fan of Jaime's, but it was a fairly entertaining book.
Katie Peters
Apr 27, 2010 Katie Peters rated it it was ok
Had to read this one. Love her character on My Name is Earl, love the fact she bases it on people from my old neck of the woods. Scarily accurate :)
Mar 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it did not like it
YAWN! The first chapter was horribly banal...stopped there.
Amanda
Jun 17, 2009 Amanda rated it did not like it
started it, couldn't get interested!
Heather
May 18, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
I love this actress. She has played some hilarious characters and I thought the book would be just as funny. It was interesting, but def. not hilarious.
Aislinn
Aislinn rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2010
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2011
Jenni
Jenni rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2010
Heather Michelson
Heather Michelson rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Nov 23, 2010
Ted Posselius
Ted Posselius rated it really liked it
May 19, 2011
Maryann
Maryann rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2010
Stella
Stella rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Kris McCabe
Kris McCabe rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2009
Siyabonga
Siyabonga rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Emily
Mar 19, 2009 Emily marked it as to-read
she grew up in rural North Carolina and made it big
« previous 1 3 next »