Start by marking “Glory From on High (A Banner is Unfurled, #3)” as Want to Read:
Glory From on High (A Banner is Unfurled, #3)

Glory From on High (A Banner is Unfurled #3)

As the walls of the Kirtland temple rise in splendor, opposition rages within and without the Johnson home. Multiple tragedies strike Ezekiel and Julia's family, threatening to rip relationships apart at the roots. Threats from Church antagonists mingle with contention and suspicion simmering amongst the brethren themselves. And not even the Prophet can escape the specter

Published March 28th 2008 by Covenant Communications, Inc. (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Glory From on High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glory From on High

Alice
Dec 09, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
As you know I don't get many things 5 stars, but this one is very special and close to my heart. It is about my people and not just my religious group MY ANCESTORS. I am the great-great-great-great granddaughter of Ezekiel and Julia Johnson. The story is of course fictionalized but based on facts. I am in awe. My mom and I are in a race to read them. I do not give it 5 stars because of the family connection, but the story is actually riveting and inspiring! There are many times I heard myself ...more
LuAnn
Oct 30, 2008 LuAnn rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds
Perhaps because I hadn't read the other books in this series, I had trouble staying focused, keeping characters straight, or wanting to continue to read. As the story moved toward the climax, the scenes became choppy and I felt the authors were either trying to finish a manuscript too quickly, or that they were so afraid of depicting something in a way that was not historically accurate that they decided not to stray from the history itself. Also, I didn't feel the climax of the story was ...more
Lydia
Jul 19, 2012 Lydia rated it it was ok
I think the only reason I'm still reading this series is because I am interested about what happens to the characters. I guess I could always go find some historical documents to find that out, but I assume the books are at least a little more entertaining than those would be. I think the biggest problem I have with these books is that they are trying to fit so much in at a time. Each book covers multiple years and jumps huge gaps of time. Most of the book was just big events in the Johnson ...more
Lee
Jul 13, 2008 Lee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lindsay, stacey, eric
Shelves: own
The series hasn't been a disappointment yet, and I don't think it could be. The tale of the Johnson family is at times a very bleak one, but is always buoyed up by their faith and determination to serve God at all costs (including death of loved ones and separation of loved ones). I may like it or enjoy it a bit more than others knowing that this family is closely related to me (4th great grandfather is B. F. Johnson).
David
Jun 12, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
I read the first two books of the series a couple years ago and really like them too. This third book just recently came out. They are somewhat similar to "The Work and the Glory" series. They are set during the same time and talk about the early history of the church. The difference is that this family is not fictional. They were a real family and the book is based on journals they kept. I especially like this about the book.
Heather
Jun 07, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
Ezekiel is totally withdrew from his wife. They remain married and will always be connected through the life that has come upon them. They lose more children in this book, their anchors in life are going to God one by one and yet Julia holds strong and keeps her children strong in the faith. Two daughters marry one is over seen by God the other God help her and keep her strong! Now the Saints are being driven from their homes as the beginning of the exodus to zion.
Ila
Jun 15, 2008 Ila rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series. It is taken from the lives of the Johnson family. It is of true events in their lives as they were numbered among the Saints of Kirtland and drove from that state to Missouri. I recommend it highly to anyone who enjoys early LDS church history and stories from that era.
Beccabevan
Jan 08, 2009 Beccabevan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Can I wait for the 4th book to come out? Probably not! I've gained a great testimony by looking at the inner me and realizing how fortunate I am and also how much I take advantage of the Church. I am amazed at the many trials these early believers had to go through to build up Zion so we can live the way we do today. It brings a tear to my eye every time I think about it.
Heather
Jan 27, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than the first two. And I enjoyed them, this one just seemed better to me. I'm not sure how many books are in this series, but I'm definitely interested enough to pick up Volume 4. I really enjoy listening to it because of the time period as well. Not as good as The Work and the Glory, but I like them.
Sandie Mixa
Aug 12, 2011 Sandie Mixa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series has me hooked. This one made me cry several times. I love that the Johnson family is real, all the characters really lived. The church history aspect reminds me of Work and the Glory and is so well written! Great job Marcie and Kerri! Marcie- I knew you in Elk Grove in 1985. Fantastic series.
Sandie Mixa
Carri
Aug 22, 2008 Carri rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2008, read-2013
I think the reason I liked this book so much was because it involved pioneer ancestors of mine. If you've read The Work and the Glory, this would probably be a repeat of the same experiences, just seen through different eyes. I thought it was a good book.
Becky
Nov 11, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
This was still a pretty interesting book although I'm not sure about the true validity of some of it. It was still a good read and made me think about what life was for the early saints and how difficult it was.
Gina
Jul 13, 2009 Gina rated it liked it
This one definitely is the most difficult to read due to the time in church history. It did give me a great feel for the time and lives of those who lived it. I still am glad to be reading the series.
Chrystal
Feb 26, 2009 Chrystal rated it really liked it
Wow - how are we going to be able to obtain the same reward as these faithful early saints? They suffered so much!! I hope to honor their legacy! It is especially fun for me to read since I'm related to this family by marriage.
Marsha
Mar 23, 2010 Marsha rated it it was amazing
A great legacy of faith and determination to do what you believe under much pressure to take the easy way out. I love the matriarch of the story, my great great great grandmother. I wish I had her faith and the courage to live like she did.
Kathy
May 29, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed reading this series because 1) it is about a family from whom my husband is descended 2) Gerald Lund based some of The Work and the Glory series on this family. In many respects this book is superior to the Work and the Glory because it deals with real people.
Naomi Bass
Apr 15, 2008 Naomi Bass rated it really liked it
To have faith in the prophet and follow him no matter what your sorrow. The Johnson's had much sorrow but were among the faithful saints, who stayed with the church after the Kirtland Bank failed and many left the church.
Lisa
Feb 09, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-lds
Continuing with this third book in this fine series--well-written and true to history, while entertaining and engrossing.
Emily
Jun 29, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
I really like this series. It is like Work and the Glory, but is more appealing to me since it is based on a real family.
Christin
Sep 24, 2010 Christin rated it it was amazing
It seemed like this one was a little more slow-going at the beginning, but it was still a great read. It picks up and there's lots of character development. Excellent series..
Ann
Jan 24, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
This book dealt with zions camp period. I found out it was based on a true story and the book was written by descendents of those in the book. Well written!
Raeanne
Sep 07, 2008 Raeanne rated it it was amazing
Absolutly awesome, amazing, wonderful book! Sad but still the best! I can't wait for the 4th book to come out!
Michelle
Aug 11, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Amazing to find faith and joy amid trail and loss. This was sad, yet faith promoting at the same time.
Holly
Sep 29, 2008 Holly rated it really liked it
I love this series, it a very heart wrenching story of a very rightous family in the begining day so the church. Can't wait for them to release the next one.
Andrea
May 21, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
Touching read. Followed the story of how four of the Johnson children died within a few years. Interesting blend of lds church history and one family's experience.
Connie
Aug 21, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
This volume was probably as good as the first and second, except they should have stayed with the same reader as the first 2 (books on CD).
Shawna
Jul 19, 2008 Shawna rated it really liked it
This book totally gives you a great perspective of what feelings the early saints had when they experienced so many hardships that followed the saints.
Casie
Jun 10, 2012 Casie rated it it was amazing
This was perhaps my favorite. Each book is getting better than the previous one. On to the final volume in the series!!!
Angieluila Bradley
Angieluila Bradley rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Margene
Margene rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Abish Mother of Faith
  • Sorcerers and Seers (Tennis Shoes #11)
  • The Enoch Letters
  • So Much of Life Ahead (Hearts of the Children, #5)
  • Line of Fire (Autumn Rain, #4)
  • Out of Darkness (Volume 1)
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 9: By the Dawn's Early Light
  • Coming Home (Band Of Sisters #2)
  • Hometown Girl (Butterfly Box, #2)
  • The Guardians of the Hidden Scepter
  • Sir Rowan and the Camerian Conquest (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #6)
  • Code Word

A Banner is Unfurled (5 books)
  • A Banner Is Unfurled (A Banner is Unfurled, #1)
  • Be Still My Soul (A Banner is Unfurled, #2)
  • Abide With Me (A Banner is Unfurled, #4)
  • No Greater Love (A Banner is Unfurled, #5)