Start by marking “See Through: Stories” as Want to Read:
See Through: Stories

See Through: Stories

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
By turns electrifying and haunting, the stories in Nelly Reifler's debut collection, now available in paperback, imagine a world where the emotional logic of dreams and childhood fantasies rules our actions.

In the title story, an educated young woman sits behind the glass of a talk booth in a peep show and becomes a different girl for each man who visits. "The Splinter"
Published January 19th 2006 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about See Through, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about See Through

Jessica
Aug 20, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
I like short stories. This is really quirky and sometimes creepy. I enjoyed it, but I knew Jani wouldn't so, I left it in the hotel in Seattle for someone to find. I love the idea of leaving and finding books.
Robert Warren
Apr 08, 2015 Robert Warren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With humor, razor insight, and generosity, Nelly Reifler's stories brighten the shadowy corners of life, enlivening misfits and outliers in such a way that we see shared humanity, even as we accept horror and dysfunction. This is prose that'll broaden your inner landscape, give you more room to see characters you might otherwise shy away from. Because her style is often spare, you'll step back from a page and say, "How'd she do that?" She's like a musician; she knows the music exists as much in ...more
Asya
Dec 27, 2008 Asya rated it really liked it
This was my "bathroom book'. I usually leave a book of short stories in my bathroom so when nature calls I have something to read. In any event, this book made me stay in the bathroom much longer than I needed to be. I enjoyed the stories, especially "Personal Foundations of Self Forming Through Auto-Identification with Others". Sure, the story is about a squirrel who wants to be a rat but it was so much more. Everyone in their life has wanted to be someone else and be accepted for who you are a ...more
D. Arlene
Jul 22, 2016 D. Arlene rated it it was amazing
I enjoy the stories from this book. The stories were well crafted and I had no problem visualizing the details. I also really liked that one or two stories felt fantastical, though the could also be literal. I really enjoy stories written that way because they're open to interpretation. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good contemporary writer. And I'd read more of her work.
Morgan
Nov 24, 2013 Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
There were a few stories that I wasn't too keen on, but a couple I really enjoyed. The highlight was definitely the Lacanian squirrel with an identity crisis.
Danielle
Dec 15, 2013 Danielle rated it really liked it
This is a collection that I will mull over for awhile. Some of the stories are breathtaking. Others lean to the creepy side. Overall, a very good collection.
Risse
Sep 27, 2013 Risse rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Short and to the point. The stories are so interesting I can keep re-reading them and never be bored :)
Koz
May 24, 2007 Koz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: superfreaks
Nelly is as good a writer as she is a teacher. These stories are gripping. I was totally gripped.
John
Oct 21, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mylibrary
Quietly cunning ... brims with swift, dark precision.
Heather
Jun 25, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Beautiful, strange stories.
Amber
Oct 03, 2012 Amber rated it liked it
good short read
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Samantha Penrose
Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Raymond
Raymond marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
ShanLandis
ShanLandis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Athenasdaughter
Athenasdaughter marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Morgan Glass
Morgan Glass rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Sally Wilson
Sally Wilson marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Liza
Liza rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Taylor Grobelny
Taylor Grobelny rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Owen
Owen added it
Aug 05, 2015
Liz
Liz added it
May 10, 2015
Jbm
Jbm marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
  • Women and Other Animals: Stories
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
  • The Polish Boxer
  • Oh Baby: Flash Fictions and Prose Poetry
  • The Tears of Autumn (Paul Christopher #2)
  • The True Memoirs of Little K