All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank

All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  74 reviews
THE "UNSINKABLE" MEETS THE UNTHINKABLE -- A gripping acount of the ill-fated maiden voyage of the Titanic.It took 4,000 men to build it, 23 tons of animal grease to slide it into the ocean, 100,000 people to wave bon voyage, but only one wrong move to tear the Titanic apart, sinking it into the pages of history. On a cold moonless night in April of 1912, 2,000 passengers--...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Roaring Brook Press

RLL52013_LaurenBregman
Everybody has heard about the Titanic. Most have probably seen the famous movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. But without reading this book, I can bet that few people have heard the first-person accounts of the sinking of the enormous Titanic. In Don Brown’s well-written story of the Titanic, he introduces us to the rich, the famous, the poor, the young, and the old who traveled on the Titanic from England heading to New York in April of 1912. Brown’s artistic talent shines throug...more
Mrs. Knott
This book focused on what happened to the people on that fateful day the Titanic met its fate. I think this book was different in that it concentrated on specific people, however, with this book being targeted to younger students, it was hard to remember the names of the people and why they were being written about (captain, lookout man, ship designer, specific passengers, etc.). The author used some difficult vocab words (transatlantuc, astir, pronouncement and other ship-specific vocab words,...more
Cathy
The Illinois School Library Media Association (ISLMA) sponsored the creation of a new book award. “The Bluestem Award: Illinois’ 3-5 Children’s Choice Award”, designed for students in grades 3-5, will have an annual reading list that may contain non-fiction, timeless classics as well as current titles, biography, and other diverse and varied content titles appropriate for this age group.

This book has won the Bluestem award. In the spring of 2008, the ISLMA board approved establishing a committe...more
Rachel
All Stations Distress is the true account of the sinking of the Titanic on April 15, 2012. The “ship that couldn’t sink” set sail from England, bound for New York City on April 9, 2012. This book is filled with many interesting facts not found in all accounts of the Titanic. For example, did you know it took 23 tons of animal fat, soap, oil, and grease to get Titanic off the slide and into the water? The enormous ship hit an iceberg around 11pm on the night of the April 14th and sunk in the earl...more
Amanda Behrends
Summary - Offers a child friendly account of the sinking of the Titanic and it's aftermath.
Curriculum Connection - One idea I had after reading this was to give students a writing prompt. They could select a passenger, either one mentioned, one the find through research, or a general status such as a third class passenger, and write a journal entry about their experience. Or it could be used to introduce an assignment on writing an informational piece. The length of the writing could adjusted fr...more
Amy
Nov 04, 2013 Amy added it
As a huge Titanic buff, I've been meaning to read this one for years. It's a pretty gentle introduction to the disaster - the watercolor paintings soften the horrific nature of the events that occurred, and the text omits some of the more grisly details. It's hard to sugar-coat the fact that most of the 2,000+ passengers died, including some children - but Brown definitely delivers this information with a gentle hand. Personally, my favorite Titanic books are ones that include real photographs a...more
Cheryl
This book would be a great way to introduce young readers to the Titanic. It provides historical information in an easy to understand format.
April Helms
This book, with illustrations, is geared towards older grade schoolers. It's easy to read and follow, and well-organized. However, I did catch one factual error; it states that all 52 children who perished were third class. Actually, one first class child, Helen Loraine Allison, 2, died. Also, I've seen different numbers of children from different sources. The book also states that Ismay went on a lifeboat because there were plenty of seats and no one else was getting in. From what I understand,...more
Rodolfo A.
This book is abaut a big bout that sink with people.This book
was so sad because people dayng in the bout.That's to personal
to me.This book is non fiction becausem it happen for real.Yn that bout a were a lot of people.Y'm never going a bout like that.When people were talking the bout hit's an ice berg then
it was coming in the water,the helpers got a little bout and sent people in it to save them.This bout was big,it had a lot
of windows and people.Yt was realy big like a billding or a di-
nosau...more
Jackie
A concise re-telling of The Titanic's disastrous journey on April 15, 1912. It begins with the massive construction of the ship and the details of its 'unsinkability'. The errors in judgment and manufacture both contributed to its demise. The watercolor illustrations portray the emotions of that fateful night without garrish or morbid fascination.

All Stations! Distress: April 15, 1912; The Day the Titanic Sank is a appropriate introduction to this tragic event for the younger reader. The facts...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Sep 25, 2010 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Gr. 2 and up
Recommended to Charlyn by: Texas Bluebonnet Award Reading List 2010
The story of the Titanic is a familiar one for adults and there are other books for children on the subject. Brown, however, takes a bit different tack: the sinking of the Titanic is the event, but it is the people--the passengers, the crew, the rescuers--on which Brown, often a biographer, focuses. Individuals are singled out to people the story and nearly every illustration portrays them. Reading the book will give children a very good picture of the scope of this disaster.
Destiny R.
I like this non-ficton book because it's brave when all the men let the ladies go first.Also it's sweet how some ladies refused to leave there husbands behind to died together."I think this book is munch like to Titanic the movie".This book is about how a big boat hit a iceburge and made a huge whole and all the pasengers had to leave there husdands behind.'I want to remmember how the ladies rufuesed to leave there husbandes.Why did not all the people did not get on the life boat?
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This is a really exciting read, with direct quotes from many of the surviving passengers, woven well into the narrative. Although it did not delve too deeply into the many whys of the failure of Titanic's safety features/procedures, it definitely touched on both the flaws of it and also the unfortunately class discrimination that caused almost all 3rd class passengers' deaths, including 52 children. The illustrations make this a great beginning reader's nonfiction.
Marianna
My 10-year-old is very interested in the Titanic so we've read a number of books about it. I must say this one of the best. The author skims the surface, but then this isn't intended to be an in depth look at the Titanic disaster. Even with that skimming there is plenty of information and the added addition of quotes from some of the passenger and crew make for an interesting story beyond dry facts.
Lucy
I never new such a long dramatic story could be shortened to such a small sweet book. I always thought that all Titanic stories were long, scary, and endless. I used to be determined that I would never like any Titanic stories but this one got to the point but still had many facts about the boat and the people on the boat. I learned more in this short story then I did in a long endless movie.
Andrea P.
This information picture book is fantastic.This book is about a boat call titanic and one day they got on it and when they where big ice piles in sank because the ice piles where big but some people where save in other boats but some people died.My schema whet this book is when I a went to a boat.A recommend this book to people that like books about information of titanic and boats.
Kathryn Yegge
I never tire of learning about the Titanic. This book has great vocabulary for 4th and 5th graders.
At times, it's hard to follow who the characters are. I think the author would have done better to follow fewer characters, but still, Dan Brown's point comes across loud and clear: everything went wrong on this ship.
I think I'll read this NF book to my class next year.
Diana R.
I think this book is imformatinol.This book is realtied to the Titanic.I have shema with this book is when i awas about to sink in the pool. What i want to rember is when the lights started to gimer.The Water started to come inside of the Titanic. The people started to get worried.I will recomend this book to someone who loves the movie The Titanic as much as i do.
Tenille Shade
My class and I read this Bluebonnet nominated book together, and I can't say it was my favorite. For one thing, the book was full of errors. It did help build background knowledge about the sinking of the titanic, but the langauge was often difficult to understand. It was an "okay" read aloud for non-fiction, but I am not sure I would use it again.
Marcia First
Genre: Information/Narrative History

I enjoyed the narrative voice of this book. It reads more like fiction, which I think would appeal to children. I also liked the fact that the author wrote from the perspective of the survivors and what they experienced during this terrible tragedy. These small stories really personalized the event for me.
Carolyn
Quick read with great illustrations . . . absolutely loved this book. It covers the facts of the accident without getting bogged down. Perfect for the 9-12 year old reader. There is age appropriate sadness as we follow several of the characters through this ordeal. Several ethical dilemmas mentioned at the end . . . great for discussion.
Katherine E
This informational book is perfect for 4th & 5th.The part I want to remember is when the titanic crashed into the iceburg.Why did the captain Smith crashed?The genre is informational.The begining is some people went to the titanic to have a cruse.The middle the captain wanted to race.The end some people survive.
Michael A
Im reding All stations! Distress! It is a infarmational book.It show what happen when the titanic sank.The book was about a man that went on the titanic and thay crashed on a iceberg.What I want to remember is when the titanic crashed.I would recommed this to the pepole who like infarmational books.
Xavier B.
all stations disress it was scare.it was about a ship called the titanic . then they chash onto a ice brage. why did thay call the ship a she . what i want to rember is thay chash onto a ice brage. what i the genre is informational.would recommend this book to is mattew because he likes scare books.
The Reading Countess
I read this for an informational text read aloud with my fifth graders and used it for "wondering" techniques. This book has many opportunities to stop and talk about WHAT IF...and I WONDER...The illustrations are simple but support the text nicely. I plan on coupling it with another book about the Titanic.
Eileen Corbett
This nonfiction book accurately describes the maiden voyage of the Titanic and the disaster that accured after the ship struck an iceburg. Direct quotes of passengers and foreboding illustrations leave readers with a sense of despair and raise questions about the decisions made that night.
Jenny
I thought this was a good introduction to the Titanic. Not too many details and a very compelling narrative. I liked the illustrations that showed the sinking of the ship--very evocative of the horror the passengers must have felt as they watched the ship go down.
Andreaiu
Great illustrations--many of them show people in the middle of action, so they're not static drawings. Truly tells a narrative of the events of the Titanic's sinking. Slightly biased on the topic of the Californian, and would be difficult to use for report writing.
Alnora
This book can be used when teaching about important events in history, like the Titanic tragedy. It can also give a general knowledge about steam boats. A less obvious lesson that can be taught through this book is the social status division that existed in those days.
Handd51
A simple overview of the tragedy, but it does get to some of the errors and difficult choices the event engendered. Kids love to read about disasters - this iwll be popular, but perhaps not quite as popular as those with more details and photographs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
  • Exploring the Titanic
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)
  • Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal
  • Redwoods
  • Titanic Sinks!: Experience the Titanic's Doomed Voyage in this Unique Presentation of Fact andFiction
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
  • Astronaut Handbook
  • The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
  • Black Elk's Vision: A Lakota Story
4198059

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pac...more
More about Don Brown...
America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution A Wizard from the Start: The Incredible Boyhood and Amazing Inventions of Thomas Edison Teedie: The Story of Young Teddy Roosevelt