Start by marking “How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth” as Want to Read:
How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth

How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth

It discusses the use of resources, pollution, and the distortions created in the economies of both wealthy industrialized nations and Third World countries.
Published August 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published June 17th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Is Enough?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Is Enough?

Çağdaş
Mar 12, 2015 Çağdaş rated it really liked it
I don't agree with the base idea that book stands on. I don't think humans are greedy by their nature. People are consuming too much today because they have born and raised in that greedy system. Except that, book is very good and everybody should read it.
Nicole
Apr 30, 2010 Nicole rated it liked it
There won't be much in this book that's a surprise to anyone who is a little knowledgeable about environmental issues related to consumption. The thing that I found most surprising was that it was written in 1992, and yet the exact issues are still being talked about 18 years later.
Sic Transit Gloria
Sep 20, 2016 Sic Transit Gloria rated it did not like it
Quite sadly, this book is less about "The Consumer Society" and more about "The Future of the Earth". Four chapters in, I could not tell the difference between this book and the environmentalists' gospel. And it get so old. The arguments of environmentalists are like a cow pasture laden with dozens of meandering dirt cow trails. To read this book is to walk those trails, and by the time I finished it, I had felt like I'd stepped in something awful along the way. I'm so sick of hearing about envi ...more
lyle
Oct 11, 2010 lyle rated it really liked it
In the modern consumer society more is better and our success is measured by our ability to afford possessions. The author examines the premises that form the psychological foundations of the consumer society and suggests that we would be much better off by rebuilding our lives on a more solid set of values and ideals.
Varol Aksoy
Mar 05, 2013 Varol Aksoy rated it it was amazing
okullarda okutulması hatta belediye hoparlörlerinden gün aşırı anons şeklinde tüm halka okunması gereken çevre ile ilgili enfes bir kitap. çok fazla istatistik ve rakam var bu bazen can sıkıyor fakat konudan kesinlikle uzaklaşmıyorsunuz. çevre bilinci, nereye doğru gittiğimiz, tüketim toplumunun nelere mal olduğu ve daha bizlerden neleri alabileceğine dair bilgilerle dolu şahane bir kitaptı..
Beth Barnett
May 28, 2007 Beth Barnett rated it liked it
This is getting a little dated, but it is packed with interesting statistics, still relevant today, about overconsumption by the developed world as compared with the underconsumption by the poorest nations. Puts things in perspective, and reminds us about American consumerism.
Hannah
Pretty obvious stuff for the most part but the statistics are interesting. Also amusing to read about Potomac Mills being "in the countryside of rural Virginia" - now, only 20 years later, it is surrounded by sprawl.
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2012 Kathryn added it
Shelves: organizing
This was good but it didn't scratch where it itched for me. The Consumer Society and the Future of Earth put it out there somewhere and I'm more interested in discussion on Organizing Now.
Feb 09, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Makes you really think about your personal impact on the planet. There is some repitition, but I have made some positive changes because of this book.
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2008
Kadir EKMEN
Kadir EKMEN rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
K.T.
K.T. rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Busegeist
Busegeist rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Jonny
Jonny rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
matt
matt rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2009
Robby Robinette
Robby Robinette rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Nokta
Nokta rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2008
Pelin Dönümcü
Pelin Dönümcü rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Mateo
Mateo rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2008
Dylan Turner
Dylan Turner rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Ergüder Cem
Ergüder Cem rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2012
MJ Bidne
MJ Bidne rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2008
Sinem
Sinem rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Damla Hovland
Damla Hovland rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2016
Esra
Esra rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Joni
Joni rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2008