Start by marking “How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth” as Want to Read:
How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth

How Much Is Enough?: The Consumer Society and the Future of the Earth

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It discusses the use of resources, pollution, and the distortions created in the economies of both wealthy industrialized nations and Third World countries.
Published August 17th 1992 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published June 17th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Is Enough?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Is Enough?

Nicole
There won't be much in this book that's a surprise to anyone who is a little knowledgeable about environmental issues related to consumption. The thing that I found most surprising was that it was written in 1992, and yet the exact issues are still being talked about 18 years later.
Çağdaş
I don't agree with the base idea that book stands on. I don't think humans are greedy by their nature. People are consuming too much today because they have born and raised in that greedy system. Except that, book is very good and everybody should read it.
Ömer Faruk
Kuran-ı Kerim'den sonra okunacak bir kitap varsa, o da tüketim anlayışımızı sorgulayacak olan bu kitaptır. İhtiyacımız gibi görünen şeylerin aslında mutsuzluğumuza gebe olmasını, çevreye olan zararları ve o şeyleri kazanabilme uğruna sosyal hayatımızdan yaptığımız fedakarlıkları gözler önüne seriyor adeta.
Varol Aksoy
okullarda okutulması hatta belediye hoparlörlerinden gün aşırı anons şeklinde tüm halka okunması gereken çevre ile ilgili enfes bir kitap. çok fazla istatistik ve rakam var bu bazen can sıkıyor fakat konudan kesinlikle uzaklaşmıyorsunuz. çevre bilinci, nereye doğru gittiğimiz, tüketim toplumunun nelere mal olduğu ve daha bizlerden neleri alabileceğine dair bilgilerle dolu şahane bir kitaptı..
Link
In the modern consumer society more is better and our success is measured by our ability to afford possessions. The author examines the premises that form the psychological foundations of the consumer society and suggests that we would be much better off by rebuilding our lives on a more solid set of values and ideals.
Beth Barnett
This is getting a little dated, but it is packed with interesting statistics, still relevant today, about overconsumption by the developed world as compared with the underconsumption by the poorest nations. Puts things in perspective, and reminds us about American consumerism.
Hannah
Pretty obvious stuff for the most part but the statistics are interesting. Also amusing to read about Potomac Mills being "in the countryside of rural Virginia" - now, only 20 years later, it is surrounded by sprawl.
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2012 Kathryn added it
Shelves: organizing
This was good but it didn't scratch where it itched for me. The Consumer Society and the Future of Earth put it out there somewhere and I'm more interested in discussion on Organizing Now.
Makes you really think about your personal impact on the planet. There is some repitition, but I have made some positive changes because of this book.
Willa Grant
Oct 25, 2008 Willa Grant rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I found this book to be a real help in deciding what I really NEEDED as opposed to what I wanted.
Claire Forbes
Mar 13, 2007 Claire Forbes is currently reading it
Recommends it for: elle
very good on consumerism, makes me ashamed to be a part of the consumer class
Forest
Stating the obvious about hyper-consumption, nicely written.
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Diane Stoltzfus
Diane Stoltzfus is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Jennifer Goldstein
Jennifer Goldstein marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Jonas
Jonas marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Nat
Nat marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Shaxtell
Shaxtell marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Madhu
Madhu marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Jassel
Jassel marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
This Place on Earth: Home and the Practice of Permanence The Car And The City: 24 Steps To Safe Streets And Healthy Communities (New Report, No. 3) This Place On Earth 2001:  Guide To A Sustainable Northwest Tax Shift: How to Help the Economy, Improve the Environment, and Get the Tax Man Off Our Backs (New Report) Guardians of the Land: Indigenous Peoples and the Health of the Earth