Start by marking “The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon” as Want to Read:
The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon

The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,435 ratings  ·  82 reviews
This sensitive celebration of the remarkable life of Reuters' youngest photographer is filled with 17 journals, replicated collages of writings, drawings and photographs.
Published 1997 by Booth-Clibborn Editions

To ask other readers questions about The journey is the destination , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The journey is the destination

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonAnimal Farm by George OrwellHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Books That Shaped Me...
123rd out of 251 books — 134 voters
A Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonDon't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra FullerDesert Solitaire by Edward AbbeyThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeThe Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
Around the World in 80 Books (Nat. Geo)
6th out of 18 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

El
Jun 14, 2013 El rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anxiety is the hand maiden of creativity. (T.S. Eliot)
The real story:
My son, Dan Eldon, a Reuters photographer, was stoned to death in Somalia in July 1993 by a mob reacting to the United Nations bombing raid on the suspected headquarters of General Mohammed Farah Aidid. Only twenty-two when he died, Dan had already achieved prominence for his work as a war photographer. But his photographs told only half the story. The other half lay hidden away in seventeen black-bound journals filled with collages, writings, drawings, and photographs.

-from the i
Adriane
Jan 10, 2007 Adriane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: The entire fucking world
My parents got me this book for Christmas when I was in highschool. I think this book, more than any other, has influenced how I look at a page. How i view biographical content. It is both beautiful and haunting, and sadly unfinished. A compilation of sketchbook/journal excerpts from young photographer Dan Eldon. For a better biography that any I could write visit the website here: http://www.daneldon.org/about/index.html
Amanda
Dan Eldon is one those incredibly inspirational people who accomplished more good in his short 22 years on this Earth than most of us will in our entire lives. And ironically, he was killed by the people he was trying to help. This book of his journals, is inspiring, and haunting and saddens you at the thought of what this young man could have accomplished had he been given more years. He was truly a humanitarian and an artist.
Caitlin H
Very, very interesting; not exactly a book you can "read" read. It's definitely inspiring to look through if you feel that you're stuck in your own sketchbook/journaling/whatever keeping, or art in general. There's a disconcerting, uncomfortable edge to it, as well, though. Inevitably it is marked by who Eldon was; by which i mean, though his mother speaks of him as being open-minded, there are some instances in the book where i couldn't help but think, "Well, that's uncomfortable." It's also st ...more
Kristal
Dan Eldon was 22 years old when his young life came to a tragic end. He was a photographer for Reuters and well on his way to becoming a prominent war photographer but his legacy turned out to be a series of black-bound journals, where he let his artistic voice free.

These are not pages filled with store-bought mixed-media embellishments. Instead, the pages are full of everyday items that Dan pieced together to create unique storyboards of his life and those around him. By simply following his i
Jan
Dan Eldon was 22 in 1993 when he was stoned to death in Somalia while working as a photojournalist. His mother later went through his journals and put selections from them together into this book.

What emerges is the image of a truly amazing person. Largely raised in Kenya, he spent the last few years of his life traveling to different corners of the globe. But he always returned to Africa, where he worked to relieve the suffering of people in several different countries, including Somalia.

The bo
Cassidy
I stumbled upon this book in a bookstore in Amherst with my friend, Danielle, and have kept it with me ever since. The book is a collection of journals by Reuters photojournalist Dan Eldon that his family published after his death (he was stoned by an angry mob in Somalia in 1993 after a U.S./U.N. bombing and violence in Mogadishu). It's a beautiful collection of work, a moving example of how art can communicate thoughtful reflection on what's going on in the world.

Here is the official website r
Yvonne
This book blew me away. Truly, I have never seen anything like it. Dan Eldon was a 23 year old reporter in Somalia when he, along with 3 of his colleagues, were attacked by an angry crowd and stoned to death. An uncommon and terrible end for someone who thrived on the edge and always sought adventure. This book is a compilation of pages from the many journals he kept over 7 or so years. Each page is a collage of photos, writing, drawings, smudges, coins, anything and everything, mixed up all tog ...more
Tracy
This is an awesome sickbed diversion because most of the text (not too much longer than a feature article) is an introduction by his mother describing the author's brief life and what he attempted and accomplished by its end. The rest of the words are the haphazard notations, fairy tales and private thoughts of Dan Eldon. The book's majority is made up of compelling images spilling off its broad pages. Eldon communicates jokes, adventures, love stories and horror using a mash-up of matchbooks, m ...more
Tony
I was introduced to Dan Eldon and his work through Invisible Children. Dan was a young photojournalist who captured some extremely intense images of life in Africa. His images of sunken faces and ghostly eyes of the impoverished serve as windows into the reality of life in many communities of Africa. Dan was deeply affected by all that he experienced in Africa and used his gift of photography to tell the world about it. Sadly, Dan's life was cut short by an angry mob in Mogadishu, Somalia where ...more
Rachel
I was interning at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art when the original Dan Eldon journal arrived. I was lucky enough to handle it personally. It is a really fascinating "book.". As an artist and Design teacher, there is so much to explore in the design, order, and flow of the book. You can't just read the book, it forces you to interact with it in an unusual way. Of course you also experience events in time with the author as you move through the book. It always made me wonder about how he spent hi ...more
Justwinter
Collected illustrated journals from the travels of a precocious young man/journalist who was murdered during his last assignment.

Published posthumously by his family, these journals are a lush and multi-layered exploration of stream of consciousness collaging. They capture a place and time, a person, a feeling.

Messy and intricate, shot through with diary entries, it's a book bursting at the seams with ideas and frozen moments.

An intricate and amazing visual read, at times troubling, confessional
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
The diaries of man, who lived passionately and died early--art journaling before the term had been invented. I remember buying this book back when it was first released. It has lost none of its charm.
Lesley
Beautiful. Inspirational. Just, one big "yes."
Meredith
beautiful, inspirational and devastating
Tom
You don't really read this book as much as soak it in. The recovered collage journals of Dan Eldon who was tragically killed by a mob in Somalia while photographing the aftermath of a bombing are stunning. You can see in each page of these journal entries that with Eldon's death the world lost a great humanitarian artist.

p.s. an evil person from a class i took in college asked to borrow this book from me and never returned it...even after my repeated asking for it. the bitch stole it and it will
Kevin
This was given to me as a gift from my friend Matt. These illustrated journals are incredible. It's clear that he was a gifted visual artist at a young age. The subjective renditions of his travels as illustrated in these journals are powerful. Perhaps they also acted as a counter balance to his job as a journalist that focused on more objective reporting? In any case, one can really get a taste of Africa from his journals. It's quite tragic that his life was so short lived, but it's clear he li ...more
I am not entirely sure how I feel about this book. In part, I think I want more text from his friends, family but I also appreciate the ability to interpret it on my own. I had to keep reminding myself that this kid was growing up on his own, essentially. He went through those normal growing experiences of learning about girls and the world but within a very different environment and much more intense pressures. I do feel a little left out of some information but did appreciate the freedom to se ...more
Gayle
This beautiful book was made especially poignant as, in the reading, it was revealed that Dan had died. As a writer and an artist, I can relate to his visual journals, and cannot stop thumbing through his.
brittan
"Dan Eldon, a Reuters photographer, was stoned to death in Somalia in July 1993 by a mob reacting to the UN bombing...Only twenty-two when he died, Dan had already achieved prominence for his work as a war photographer. But his photographs told only half the story. The other half lay hidden away in seventeen black-bound journals filled with collages, writings, drawings, and photographs." This book is a beautiful collection of all the journals that narrate his life.
Katie Martin
fascinating.
Aubrey
Dan eldon was the fallen photojournalist that had alot to say to the world about what was happening on the other side of the world. His pictures showed the truth about how the world was mixed in violece just to have something as common as money. He was a living example of what we can do to help. His artwork spoke so loudly with its differentiality and beauty its a wonder why no one has heard of it.
Lora
I read about this somewhere relating to keeping an art journal, so I eventually bought the book because it's not that easy to find in libraries. I didn't know anything about Dan Eldon. His story as told by his mother is so moving. I also loved the way he mixed his photos with drawing, painting, collage in a totally spontaneous and unselfconscious way. I would love to see all of his journals.
Patricia
We used this as a textbook in a class I took in college called "Writing as the Visual Image." Daniel Eldon was a journalist killed on assignment in Somalia. Throughout his life he kept a collage journal. He left behind images of beauty and words of wisdom. His work and the class inspired me to start my own collage journal. Combining images and words is art.
Rakshya
This photo journal really changed my life. I first read it when I was 19 and it changed my perspective on life that one can lead a life of adventure, passion and art. It is extraordinary that Eldon did so much in his 23 years. The journal is full of images, some too real and grotesque even then beautiful. He has really made poetry out of images.
Jude
There's inspiration and then there's encounter. This book is a picture of the difference between a life lived and a heart recording itself as it grows. Eldon's death isn't what makes the book amazing -and altho his life was remarkable in inspiring ways as well - it was his need to keep responding and observing that gave us his story.
Diana Pauksta
this is a compilation of 20 of dan eldon's journals (he was, among other things, a war photographer who was stoned to death by an angry mob in Somalia.) it's part commentary on life in africa, part travel guide, part teenager's diary; it's sometimes funny and light, sometimes dark and brooding, but every page is a work of art.
Amanda
I want to be a photojournalist, so I found this book to be particularly encouraging, even though it came to be out of Dan Eldon's death.
This book helped me see that I want to live fearlessly. I don't want to wait until I'm older to do exciting things. I want to start making a mark on the world today, here and now.
Sara
More of a photographic biography. Simply beautiful and thought provoking. I real inspiration to the artist/traveler. I got this as a gift from my teacher when I graduated high school. I really like the journal qualities of the book, with fold out pages, scraps, etc. A really personal experience.
Roniq
Inspiring, sad and beautiful!! What a vibrant spirit Mr. Eldon was who had so much to say with his images. Tragically he died young, this book put together by his mother using his art gives great insight into what kind of young man he was and where his heart truly was, in Africa.
  • Dan Eldon: The Art of Life
  • Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See
  • Still Time
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Joseph Cornell: Master of Dreams
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Urgent 2nd Class: Creating Curious Collage, Dubious Documents, and Other Art from Ephemera
  • 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Everyday Matters